Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th January 2009, 10:34   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great machine, I can see why you don't want to part with her. However, I cannot recommend a RHD conversion....it is a fairly complex job that is best done at the factory level. How about coming back and buying a Nissan GT-R?!! Plenty available in the market.

You won't miss your Corvette. Guaranteed
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 10:57   #17
BHPian

that seems like a plan.
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 12:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great machine, I can see why you don't want to part with her. However, I cannot recommend a RHD conversion....it is a fairly complex job that is best done at the factory level. How about coming back and buying a Nissan GT-R?!! Plenty available in the market.

GT-R (why do I drool everytime I think of GT-R), I agree - though it is personal choice really. Corvette is a sweet looking machine especially in black.

I personally am a corvette fan and briefly owned a 02 Z06, apart from the obvious value and performance it represents you just cant beat the looks.

Now if I can just stop thinking about the GT-R a moment.
GhettoMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 20:59   #19
fb1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

you sir have good taste, GTR is my fav car after the corvette. It will cost too much money, I cant spend that much on a car lol...

just out of curiosity how much does the GTR cost in India?? I would die to own that car lol. Sad thing is that I cant bring back my vette, I will miss it.. I was planning on adding a supercharger to it too now thats down the drain no point.
fb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 21:37   #20
BHPian

I had a prelude and I had to sell it off before coming back - I know how it feels man! Don't worry though - loads of imports available here (at a cost!)

Its much easier to bring in bikes - my friend brought home his 1400cc Suzuki.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 21:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1 View Post
you sir have good taste, GTR is my fav car after the corvette. It will cost too much money, I cant spend that much on a car lol...

just out of curiosity how much does the GTR cost in India?? I would die to own that car lol. Sad thing is that I cant bring back my vette, I will miss it.. I was planning on adding a supercharger to it too now thats down the drain no point.
Why do you wanna give up so easily?
Speak to these guys :American Pickup Trucks Right Hand Drive that 4x4 addict posted .
They say :
Quote:
Our RHD Ford F150, Dodge Ram's and Ford Mustangs are sold here in the UK and exported to many other countries such as South Africa, India and Thailand. We also stock other makes such as Chevrolet SSR, Cadillac Escalade, Ford Mustang's etc.
Quote:
We can also import any other type of American Vehicle such as Corvette's Cadillac's etc.
I say Don't give up!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 23:30   #22
BANNED

its true but sad....you cant import it cause its LHD!

cheers:
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 00:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1 View Post
just out of curiosity how much does the GTR cost in India??.
85-90 laks 0kms done delivered to your doorstep by any reputed dealer.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:44   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Atleast one new GTR has exchanged hands at 75 lakhs.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

How does one service that monster in India? And what kind of fuel does it require?
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 19:27   #26
fb1
BHPian

Regarding the fuel, I use premium fuel + Octane boosters here for optimum performance.. Mileage is still ****ty but cant complain fuel is cheap here.. I get about 8 MPG and 10-12 when I drive for fuel
fb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 09:38   #27
BANNED

Default Re: Information on importing my Corvette back home

Moderator note: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Paste from external Font editors, also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Didn't want to resurrect a dead thread, but since it exists, and since it came up on a search, I'm posting some information here. A lot of folks here have the bad habit of making statements without supporting data .... for example that you can't import LHD models into India when you've owned them in the US. This link seems to suggest nothing of the sort: http://nriinformation.com/articles2/carimports_nri.htm

Quote:
Import of cars by persons returning to India for permanent settlement

(Continued from previous page)

Rules for importing a car to India by Non Resident Indians (NRIs) Individuals returning to India for permanent settlement as well as the following categories may not be subject to the rules discussed for import of a car to India in the previous page under part 1. Categories of importers to whom the previous mentioned rules may not be applicable are: 1. Individuals coming to India for permanent settlement after TWO years continuous stay abroad provided the car has been in their possession for a period of at least one year. 2. Resident Indians presented with a car as an award in any international event, match or competition. 3. Legal heirs, successors of deceased relatives residing abroad. 4. Physically handicapped persons. 5. Companies incorporated in India and having foreign equity participation. 6. Branches and offices of foreign firms. 7. Charitable/Missionary/Religious institutions (Registered as per law) 8. Honorary Consuls of foreign countries on the recommendations of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India. 9. Journalists/Correspondents of foreign news agencies having accreditation certificate with the Press information bureau, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of the Government of India. All the above categories shall be entitled to import only one vehicle except categories 5 & 6 which shall be entitled to import a maximum of three vehicles. ALL such imports cannot be sold for a period of TWO years from the date of registration in India. Car Imports by Non Resident Indians - NRIs Planning to take a car to India information

If you are an NRI and toying with the idea of taking a car back to India when you return. Consider the following: 1. Use the services of a customs broker. Paper work in India moves in all directions quickly except forward. Hiring a customs broker at the port of arrival will speed up things and believe it or not save you from a lot of unnecessary hassles. 2. If your wondering whether you can make a profit by selling the car in India, In my opinion you would. There is usually a demand for foreign cars and the upper class in India have loads of money. One thing Indians don't mind paying is status symbols and when it comes to status symbols a foreign car probably is way up on the list. A word of caution here though, imported cars have a time restriction on when you can sell them. However some brokers and dealers bypass the registration step for the two year waiting time. The seller gets his or her money, the buyer gets the car and the registration is done at a later date, needless to say this is not legal but people seem to do it. On the question of whether one should take a car back to India, It would of course have to be a personal decision for all. However as for myself I can only give prospective NRIs advice by expressing a personal opinion that if you plan to resettle in India, it might be prudent to keep a low profile. Unless of course you have lots of money and want to flaunt it. Please Note: The total Customs duty incidence on cars comes to around 181%. The car can only be imported, if you are transferring residence into India and the engine capacity is less than 1600 cc (for new cars), there is no cc limit for old and used cars, in your possession for more than 1 year. Customs duty on used cars is calculated on a depreciated price depending on the age of the vehicle. Paying of Customs Duty by Foreign Exchange

Indian nationals or foreign nationals of Indian origin returning to India for permanent settlement bringing vehicles to India will have to pay customs duty in foreign exchange or from their bank accounts in India that have funds deposited from abroad, such as NRE or FCNR accounts. Customs duty on second hand cars in India

An invoice presented by NRIs showing they purchased the car at a discounted price will probably not suffice when it comes to calculation of customs duty in India. To access duty on second hand cars, depreciation is allowed from the new car price based on how old the car is. The value of a new car is determined by the new car sale invoice or if such a document is not available, then the value of a new vehicle for calculation of customs duty is based on world car catalogs that are available to customs officers. When you take a second hand car to India, To calculate the customs duty you must pay, the customs officers to determine the value of the second hand car, will allow depreciation based on the age of the car: Depreciation allowed on used cars for calculation of customs duty

• For every quarter during 1st year 4% • For every quarter during 2nd year 3% • For every quarter during 3rd year 2.5% • For every quarter during 4th year and thereafter 2% Maximum Depreciation allowed on Used Cars in India is 70% based on the new car price.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th January 2013 at 10:59. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid Copy Paste from external Font editors, also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
Activ8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote