Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th January 2009, 15:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Please understand that COTY is decided purely on the merits of the Car and not on the sales figures!
Old 8th January 2009, 16:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I am wondering whether ACI made the eligibility criteria for this year's COTY as "homologated in 2008" only this year ? if so - they clearly seemed to be doing FIAT a "favour"

but I am sceptical how much the sales are positively impacted by getting this award.
as you pointed out AVEO, PALIO etc who got the award DID NOT really become a sales success .

so aam aadmi has his own priority list and of course brand notions which he goes with when he is purchasing a car

and enthusiasts dont need a COTY to know which is the best car

Palio was a great success initially, It did have it heights, eventhough for a short period in past 8 years.
Old 8th January 2009, 16:03   #48
BANNED

Though your statement is correct, a more correct statement is: COTY is decided purely on the cars launched in a calendar year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Please understand that COTY is decided purely on the merits of the Car and not on the sales figures!
Old 8th January 2009, 16:07   #49
BHPian

Maybe Luca di Montezemolo paid huge amount of money to ACI to hype the car, similar to F1 where his team gets special treatments ?
Old 8th January 2009, 16:19   #50
BHPian

Default Why not ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
similar to F1 where his team gets special treatments ?
Why not - Afterall Ferrari is a ferrari......
Old 8th January 2009, 16:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

i don't actually care which award is given to which car by which magazine.
I TD a car and decide how its is. For instance i didn't liked Ikon Tdci at all(no offence to owners), Loved the Vista drive, Really loved the ANHC and the silent engine(though at 118bhp i still feel its not as powerful a drive as lets say a VErna Crdi).

So instead of bashing Fiat or ACI lets wait till the TD's,go for it and then decide the car is good enough to be awarded or not.
Old 8th January 2009, 16:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe Luca di Montezemolo paid huge amount of money to ACI to hype the car, similar to F1 where his team gets special treatments ?
What has Luca and F1 got to do with this? If you want to discuss if/how/why Ferrari gets special treatment, please do that in motor sports section, not here
Old 8th January 2009, 16:43   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I think Fiat fans are missing the plot. The plot is on what basis did ACI find Linea to be a Year 2008 car.

* Homologation done before 31 Dec 2008
* Production began before 31 Dec 2008
* Fiat trained its sales personnel on this car before 31 Dec 2008
* Fiat wanted to launch before 31 Dec 2008
* Dealer took 1 Lakh as deposit on this car on 31 Dec 2008
I totally agree with Diabloo. I remember Hormazd Sorabjee once said in Autocar show, he personally likes G3HC but looking at the list of contenders I personally feel Linea is far ahead of others. It is totally VFM. Other than *** I dont feel there is any other issue with Fiat. Looking at their future plans Fiat is definately going to get it improved.
Old 8th January 2009, 17:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stick to the topic! You are at the wrong thread if you want to get your anger straight on Luca!

The Linea is miles ahead of its competitors and that could be one reason why its being called the COTY 2009. By the calendar metrics, it may not be supposed to be in the list. But defenitely not an undeserving one!
Old 8th January 2009, 17:22   #55
BANNED

Default Number please.

Quote:
Pls call up ACI and find out why.
Quote:
Pls call up ACI and question them.
Going by this, ain't it better we just put up the contact numbers of AutoCar India here and close the thread?
I don't understand the logic behind the quoted stuff above.

Quote:
Oops, I didn't know that.
Please call ACI for the info.

Guys! Let's be a bit mature in our posting.
This thread is not about how bad or good Linea is. But on how low can a respectable Auto magazine drop themselves in promoting a favourite product/brand. So, it's very natural that their ethics and malpractices will be questioned here.

Anyway, Fiat seems to have done a big investment in the marketing of Linea. After all, it's not everyday that a car which isn't launched officially becomes COTY! What say??
(Those who are still in doubt, can go back a year or 2 and look into the reasons why certain cars were excluded from their shortlist) :
Old 8th January 2009, 17:31   #56
BHPian

This discussion can only proceed if we drop the fanboy attitude. We all maybe fans of ACI or FIAT but to continue this discussion, we need to stop being fanboys.
Old 8th January 2009, 22:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

whether or not ACI labels a car as COTY, when you pump in your money on the purchase, you would do it after all due diligence. FIAT cars are meant to be driver friendly and they really are that. Stability, VFM, and ease of driveability are good points of FIAT. The motor sure may be underpowered, but one could always tweak it to give the required push for the car at all speeds.
Old 8th January 2009, 23:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised too at Linea being declared COTY 2008 by ACI.
However, I think ACI had made the shortlist atleast a couple of months back (I seemed to have read this in one of their past issues) - I guess at that time, they went with the date of launch from manufacturers (for cars not yet launched in 2008) - so Linea was in.

Since Linea was not launched in 2008 finally, it would have been the best to 'exclude' it from the results! That said, the i20 sneaked in 2008 on the 2nd last day, seems to be also not a deserving choice for candidature in 2008. In my view, they should set a cutoff date like end-Nov, and ensure car is available for 1 month atleast before putting it in the fray.
Old 8th January 2009, 23:31   #59
BHPian

I dont understand why people arguing so much for a COTY award. All fanboys of Honda should remember that NHC won a few COTY in 2004 with an underpowered 77 BHP engine. Why make such a fuss over 90 BHP Linea engines now?
Old 9th January 2009, 00:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Guys! Let's be a bit mature in our posting.
This thread is not about how bad or good Linea is. But on how low can a respectable Auto magazine drop themselves in promoting a favourite product/brand. So, it's very natural that their ethics and malpractices will be questioned here.
Bravo Zak! One wouldnt say this is a post from a hospital bed in Western Africa by a man who is allegedly delirious and dehydrated from malarial fever and viral infection.

You might think some other posts here are, though!
Closed Thread