Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th April 2009, 17:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

So, just out of interest, do we have whole-year figures by model?
Old 14th April 2009, 17:32   #32
BHPian

Also, do you have the figures for Audi and how it is performing in comparison to Mercedes/BMW?
Old 14th April 2009, 17:37   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I think the current dip is also due to production stoppages whenshifting to the new factory and the E class phase out.
Jan was the month of production limitations. But even in Feb & March, BMW outsold Mercedes (by a smaller margin though). Still a stellar performance, wot?

There is a lot banking on the new E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
So, just out of interest, do we have whole-year figures by model?
You'll get all that and a whole lot more from the file at this link. Official SIAM data (Thanks to Vasudeva).
Old 14th April 2009, 21:43   #34
BHPian

Looks like people have realized how important maintenance packages are.
BMW I believe are going to pull ahead every time on the 5 series with their understanding that we Indians want reliability and seem to be stuck with the 2 year plan from Mercedes all these years.

Great that a chunk of Audi sales were the Q7 We really do love our big cars

and about merc having a lead, we really like our car badges and I get a feeling everyone is bored of looking at the same old 3 star. BMW and Audi might have something going for them being new and all in the country.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:38   #35
BHPian

Now Z4 is also coming here. At 50-60L price range, not sure it will contribute in big numbers.

BMW India to roll out Roadster Z4 sports car
Old 14th July 2009, 16:38   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A post I just made in the June 2009 sales figures thread (June 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis) may be of particular relevance here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One of the numbers I was waiting for. Thanks for sharing Sid!

Impressive performance, Audi! BMW sold 289 cars in June, and Mercedes 200. Net net, Audi's overtaken Mercedes. This is HUGE...most people (including me) would have thought it impossible only a year back. I'm certain the Audi boys haven't stopped celebrating.

Butttttttttttttttttttttttttt : The question remains:

1. Why is Audi unwilling to share the breakup? Is it because its SUV sales account for 60 - 70% of the total?

2. Why will Audi not submit its sales information to SIAM?
Old 7th August 2009, 09:30   #37
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Turns out, neither is it too close nor is BMW ahead. Plus, if you look at the model-wise sales below, it seems unlikely that BMW will overtake Mercedes in the near future.

Economic Times Article

Cumulative model wise sales for 2008 (excluding niche segments like the X5, SLK etc.)

961 : 3 Series
1756 : C-Class

The new C-Class is dominating the 30-lakh rupee segment. It is newer than the 3 series, has comfortable interiors and offers far better ride quality. The next-gen 3 series is still a while away.

1340 : 5 series
1167 : E Class

The 5 series is ahead, but only so much. The all-new E-Class generation (expected soon) has the potential to turn the tables. Premium car buyers love the "latesshtt". Merc's new non-Merc designs seems to be going down well too (not with me though ).

311 : 7 Series
561 : S Class

The new 7 series, launched already, can inch closer to the S Class. However, the 7 is a CBU and won't be able to match the S-Class' pricing. Plus, the S-Class is truly an outstanding car, new 7 series notwithstanding.

Mercedes on its part will release 4 - 5 ownership packages (a la BMW) soon. That move will surely retain some potential owners who would have otherwise shopped Bavarian, if only for the peace-of-the-mind maintenance packages.

Thus, for the time being, I predict the three-pointed star will maintain its no.1 position amongst the luxo's.
Hey any figures as to how many 5 series and 7 series were sold in 2007?
Old 28th September 2009, 13:48   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BMW seems to have gotten hold of Merc's customer database . We've received three marketing couriers from Bimmer last week, all of them addressed to family members in whose name Mercs are registered!

Oh boy, it's becoming a fight to relish. Exciting times ahead, all the better for competition!
Old 28th September 2009, 17:37   #39
BHPian

It seems that MB and BMW are raising the bar while at loggerheads with each other

Just today I was at the KUN exclusive showroom and boy oh boy did i hear news. The 535d is coming in a year (or less) to compete with the newly launched E class.No information on other changes, but *slurp* as if the 530d wasn't psychotic enough
Old 28th September 2009, 18:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
It seems that MB and BMW are raising the bar while at loggerheads with each other

Just today I was at the KUN exclusive showroom and boy oh boy did i hear news. The 535d is coming in a year (or less) to compete with the newly launched E class.No information on other changes, but *slurp* as if the 530d wasn't psychotic enough
Exciting news. If this is true, BMW has one more customer the very next day after the launch.
Old 29th September 2009, 19:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

How will those engines run reliably, over the long haul, on our crap diesel?
Old 29th September 2009, 21:35   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
"despite the latter having a 10 year lead" -

I think this statement is misplaced and downright wrong. Its probably valid for products where you have to build a market from scratch - or where you have to push products. But not in case of luxury cars, which is more of a pull market and less of a push market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
How will those engines run reliably, over the long haul, on our crap diesel?

kbk just raised a point that answers your question. Merc has 10 years of data on how their cars/engines handle Indian roads and diesel where as BMW has nothing.

The novelty factor plays a small role and new models launches take care of that.

As of today with so many choices/deals/competetion in the market, the premium car business is very much in PUSH mode.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Default Mercedes E-Class To Regain its Number One Position in India

Mercedes E-Class To Regain its Number One Position in India

Mercedes' recent sales figure reflect that the company is ready to claim its numero uno position in India which it had lost earlier this to BMW India. It recently launched ninth generation variant of its E-Class model in India priced at Rs. 48.08 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). It has already managed to sell 130 units of its E-series model in India this year. “Last year, we sold 140 cars in October period. In October, 2009, the sales have grown up by 132 per cent to 325 units. This is an ever time record in our October sales,” Dr. Wilfried Aulbur said.

The new model is E350 CDI Blue Efficiency diesel variant that reduces fuel consumption. BlueEFFICIENCY technology in the new E-Class includes light, aerodynamic wheels, lower rolling resistance from the tyres, a closed underbody, reduced ride height, a redesigned front end that lowers drag by 7% and a power steering pump that is active only when the steering is turned.

The new E-Class is powered by a 3.5 litre V6 engine, which churns out an output of 200 kW with a torque of 355 Nm. It is one of the most aerodynamically efficient luxury sedans in Mercedes’ product portfolio in India.

Source: http://www.cartradeindia.com/car-bike-news/mercedes-e-class-to-regain-its-number-one-position-in-india-111830.html
Old 4th December 2009, 19:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The novelty factor plays a small role and new models launches take care of that.

As of today with so many choices/deals/competetion in the market, the premium car business is very much in PUSH mode.
I would say its still more of a pull market. My brother- in- law was in the market recently, he dumped the Merc for a Beemer just because there are too many Mercs in and around Jalandhar. Never mind that among the big three, only Mercedes has authorized sales & service in Jalandhar!
Old 25th January 2010, 15:55   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You know, it's one thing to lose your lead, second to accept the no.2 position, but something entirely different to pass the buck!!

Merc's excuse for losing the no. 1 luxury brand position in 2009:

Quote:
Terming the competitor's lead a "product cycle issue", he said: "We had only limited completely knocked down kits of the E-Class, which sold faster than we thought. We sold 686 kits and the demand was around 1,000 and we sold 1,600 cars of the C-Class," he said. The firm imports the kits and assembles them at its Pune unit.
Umm, this is absolute RUBBISH. If they had a 1000 orders and only 686 cars, why were E Class' sold on high discounts (running anywhere between 3 - 6 lakh rupees). Usually, when demand exceeds supply, prices go up. Not the other way around.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this "limited supply" PR talk.

Link to ET Article
Closed Thread