Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st April 2005, 18:51   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Why Hyundai is Fantastic...watch out

Reason? The People, of course.

Take a look at this interesting Times magazine article on Mr. Chung - The Chairman of Hyundai.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

That's good. So, Hyundai will have better quality than what they have now and might end up being as expensive as Jap and Euro cars.

20 lakh Hyundai car or 20 lakh Honda car....hmmm now wouldn't that be a tough choice, to make. Hehe

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 19:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yep. It is the people who make all the difference. I dont think the day is far off when Hyundai will be supplying engines for F1? Lets hope to see that passion in their cars too.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 19:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

I remember the day when I saw a Hyundai ad on tv in 1993-94 during a cricket match. Then I thought what the heck, this guy is trying to immitate Honda with a 'H' logo. Then when the Santro pics started showing up in Auto mags, i thought who is going to buy this tall boy. When i went to US in 2003, my company gave me a Hyundai Accent coupe. Then i said to myself, "Not atleast in US".

Now after joining this site and reading writeups from people like GTO, i started changing my impression. Now I am wishing that Hyundai launched Getz a few months earlier so that I could have bought that instead on Palio D and enjoy some peace of mind. My only wish for Hyundai is that they install some good engines in their cars in the lines of CRDI. Also Hyundai, please don't overprice your cars.
satish_appasani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 19:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has always made and launched decent cars in India. But there is that 'something' lacking always for the true blue enthusiast.

Regarding the overpricing, that is the way Hyundai will go. :| That is exactly what Honda and Toyota are doing right now. For example, I do not think the City is in any way worth the 8 lakhs that they price it at (in Mumbai).

The biggest shock to Hyundai may yet come - from our neighbour in the North West - China. But currently in India they have got everything right. Well almost.
Old 21st April 2005, 20:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai is beating competitors by modifying its small cars with ingenious features designed for Indian customers, such as elevated rooflines to provide more headroom for turban-wearing motorists.
Now *** is this.....
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Gimmickry. What else do you expect from Hyundai?
Old 22nd April 2005, 13:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Now I am wishing that Hyundai launched Getz a few months earlier so that I could have bought that instead on Palio D and enjoy some peace of mind.
Dont worry too much! You have not made wrong choice as far as car is concerned. You would not have bought Getz anyway, since you were looking for a Diesel car.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:02   #9
BHPian

Thanks GTO....great link!

Was preoccupied and walking to my car the other day....looked up to see a very european style car from the b-pillar onwards....took me a second to recognise the getz...i'm not the first person to say this about the getz (euro styling et al)....but this is a sign that they've got all their thinking hats on....

I believe they have a long long road ahaed before they build cars that address the enthusiasts in us but i'd tend to believe they're well on their way...and would get there sooner than we might think....
maedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

With the kind of lineup that Hyundai have, i am extremely surprised by their success worldwide and India. Its astonishing, what Hyundai has become from being a nobody just 10 years or so ago. Although they have ventured into WRC, i still think the day is a bit far when they become committed to mtorsports. Instead, they should focus their resources on their roadcars.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 17:28   #11
BHPian

When I went to US in 2001 and hired the car from Hertz, I was given Hyundai Elantra. When I told my cousing in Boston that I have hired a elantra, his comment was, "Yeah, those rentrals, always keep those cheap korean cars!".. Looks like, Hyundai has travelled a lot after those comments.
shankaranand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 11:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have my reservations, though - if the Chairman is so meticulous and pays attention to little details like the plastic shield for the gear lever, how come he didnt notice the blatent "Ctrl + C", "Ctrl + V" Accord job on the new Sonata?

Or perhaps he concentrates on the little details and doesnt see the big picture?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 12:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

I guess they will get there in time. The fact that the rest of the car is good maybe is good enough for them right now.
Old 23rd April 2005, 12:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I have my reservations, though - if the Chairman is so meticulous and pays attention to little details like the plastic shield for the gear lever, how come he didnt notice the blatent "Ctrl + C", "Ctrl + V" Accord job on the new Sonata?

Or perhaps he concentrates on the little details and doesnt see the big picture?

Good one steer,
probably he spends so much time checking out the gear knob, that he hasn't seen the accord yet.

Abt the thread, i think Hyundai has positioned thier cars damn well. And all of them just give enough of everything so that they are right up in the list of possible buys in each segment.

Well done hyundai.. Sergio Marchionne should probably start looking at a few gear knobs , what say guys?
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 20:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

The new Sonata does not excite me in thel least, Hyundai are only good at blatantly copying other manufacturers, the Tucson is the only breath of fresh air.

Even the previous Sonata, and Terracan are copies, its so frustrating.

Their cars are decent, if only their design department was a little more creative and daring.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote