Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22nd January 2009, 14:42   #211
Senior - BHPian

Service reminder: Fiat knows its customers its better - hence the need to remind them of dates & numbers.

[ [/quote]

I think its for the service technicians reminding them its not there for regular servicing !
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:47   #212
Senior - BHPian

with amit. lets just call it quits and see how the market behaves. We will have a first impression in about 15 days

the worst part for me is that personally - i am still confused between buying the City or the Linea. I guess i will have to decide between now and March.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 22nd January 2009 at 14:48.
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:49   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
n... but it has only a single vent, not vents. Which is attached to the back of the front armrest and really provides cooling for the knee's of one of the passenger...
Isn't this the same kind of design that is there in the Scorpio and it was being referred to as the B___ cooler?

I just hope the people at the back seat will be able to raise the vent to a good high position so that the air misses the legs.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:08   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
lets just call it quits and see how the market behaves. We will have a first impression in about 15 days
I think we will have to wait till March since February will be the first full month of Linea sales. Anyway, City will always be the best selling C segment car in India forever.
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:27   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Anyway, City will always be the best selling C segment car in India forever.
It has been and it still have good chance. But why conclude now?
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:48   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
Here I will just list the cons of the City. Let us see how many among us are willing to live with these omissions.

1) No alloys
2) Skinny tyres
4) No Climate control
3) No rear AC vent
4) No CD Player
5) Less breaking efficiency
6) EPS (vs Hydraulic in the Linea)
7) Overpriced
8) Short service intervals (5000km vs 15000km in the Linea)
9) Less fuel efficient
10) Sick looking back-end
11) No diesel option

To me the EPS is the biggest gripe. The steering lacks feedback.
Quiet many omissions if you ask me.
PArticularly liked the service interval in Linea. Saves cost and regular trips

Ok any comparisons with Fiesta and Verna.

Last edited by harry10 : 22nd January 2009 at 19:50.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:09   #217
BHPian

Default any idea of actual bookings of linea?

I was wondering how many lineas have been booked by now? The new City seems to be selling well. Its nice to see everyone compare the linea with the segment leader because that means half the battle is won by fiat. Can anyone do a compare with the fiesta. I feel the real target for linea is the fiesta and verna buyers. Especially fiesta. Linea is being positioned as a frugal diesel. So a comparision with fiesta will be ideal. Also what is the linea's actual FE?
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:39   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I dont know if you have seen the car in person... but it has only a single vent, not vents. Which is attached to the back of the front armrest and really provides cooling for the knee's of one of the passenger. Is it better than not having one at all, hell yeah, spcly in Delhi. Is it ideal design and a proper full blown rear ac solution, far from it!
Aseem, I am yet to TD the Linea - my bad to write vents instread of vent, that was a typo since i had seen the vent in the Linea brochure. The front center console based AC vents is as well what Mercedes provides for rear passengers. There are usually 2 vents, and they are vents because you can redirect the airflow direction just like in the front AC vents and hence not duct(s).
In case of Linea, there is one, but you can still redirect airflow angle like any other vent - atleast that's how it appeared to me from the brochure! Please englighten if you found otherwise in the TD ?
There can be a problem if there are 2 passengers in that vent horizontal direction can be only in one way (which is why many cars provide two)
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:40   #219
BHPian

can anyone tell how much avg. the NH3C is giving in city and highways?and how much fiat is claiming for linea petrol?
i feel since NH2C's success was due to fuel efficient idsi engine which used to give around 15-16km/ltr , if NH3C's fuel efficiency is less then its predecessor plus with it costing a lakh more then its predecessor it is surely going to be bought less then its predecessor.
and if linea petrol giving combined average of 14-15 km/ltr plus having a diesel engine and vast network of tata, we all might be in for a surprise.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:45   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
I was wondering how many lineas have been booked by now? The new City seems to be selling well. Its nice to see everyone compare the linea with the segment leader because that means half the battle is won by fiat. Can anyone do a compare with the fiesta. I feel the real target for linea is the fiesta and verna buyers. Especially fiesta. Linea is being positioned as a frugal diesel. So a comparision with fiesta will be ideal. Also what is the linea's actual FE?
January's "What Car" has compared Linea with Fiesta & Verna and has declared Linea as a clear winner there. Almost everything is in Linea's favor - except read head-room for taller people.

I just hope it becomes a successful product, Fiat products are well engineered; but they have to sustain the A.S.S. and availability of spares at competent price!
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:53   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
January's "What Car" has compared Linea with Fiesta & Verna and has declared Linea as a clear winner there. Almost everything is in Linea's favor - except read head-room for taller people.

I just hope it becomes a successful product, Fiat products are well engineered; but they have to sustain the A.S.S. and availability of spares at competent price!
I suppose Fiesta scores in 'fun to drive' factor. Not sure if the TDCI also fits that bill
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:19   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I suppose Fiesta scores in 'fun to drive' factor. Not sure if the TDCI also fits that bill
Seriously what is fun to drive? How can you possibly have fun driving on Indian road and in Indian traffic? How many of us have been to tracks?
All this talk about fun to drive feels shallow given our road conditions.

I know Fiesta is a good compromise between handling and comfort but its not the last word in driving fun.

For India we need a car which rides well and cocoons you from the outside rush and madness and the noise.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:42   #223
BHPian

Full page ads in the Economic Times today of the Linea and Xylo (expected, as new launches), but guess what Honda also gave a full page ad - looks like it wants to smother the competition early, as it is feeling a bit threatened.

Already seeing lot of ANHCs on the road. Don't think Linea is going to take much out of Honda City's market share, as those who already own a Honda will most probably go for the ANHC, possibly even without considering the Linea. What I feel is that the Linea will increase the overall midsize sedan pie, meaning there will be buyers because of the diesel version, but Honda will rule in the petrol segment with very little effect on its market share.

I've seen how Honda owners feel about other car makers. My friend's father buys only either Honda or Toyota vehicles and if I mention/suggest Hyundai or Fiat he’ll just scoff at them. I believe a majority of Honda owners are awed by the aura of the brand and will be reluctant to put their trust in other brands.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:52   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
What I feel is that the Linea will increase the overall midsize sedan pie, meaning there will be buyers because of the diesel version, but Honda will rule in the petrol segment with very little effect on its market share.
Yup i agree, Linea would eat a pie of sales of most of the cars in the segment.
Right now it seems Fiesta TDCI sales might take a dip. I inquired with Ford dealer if they offering any discount on Fiesta TDCI , he said no discounts on Fiesta right now. Maybe in few weeks they will surely have to. Well only time will tell if ANHC will sell in same nos regularly like NHC. Right now it seems to be selling inspite of being more expensive than previous model. Lets wait & watch.
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:22   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post

IIRC, What car is from ACI. Now ACI declared Linea car of the year before it was launched. So What car is not a source to trust. And also I think that Verna wins hand down in performance also apart from that space matter.
And the second advantage Verna has is the A.S & S., a fact that Fiat is not able to address since long.

I seriously now doubt how the What car can give out unbaised judgement.
Closed Thread