Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2009, 18:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
IIRC, What car is from ACI. Now ACI declared Linea car of the year before it was launched. So What car is not a source to trust. And also I think that Verna wins hand down in performance also apart from that space matter.
And the second advantage Verna has is the A.S & S., a fact that Fiat is not able to address since long.

I seriously now doubt how the What car can give out unbaised judgement.
dude, get over it. Its not just ACI & Whatcar. Overdrive had a shootout between ANHC & Linea and they declared Linea a clear winner. Top Gear had an article on Linea in Jan and they mentioned its one of the best sedans in the sub 10L market now.

Now you are going to say OD & TopGear are biased

Last edited by SkyWalker : 23rd January 2009 at 18:29.
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:43   #227
Senior - BHPian

If we disregard the feature war-
Honda has much better A.s.s and a better drive due to engine factor.
Linea is a VFM product and lacks the wow feeling in regards to engine.
Would have been damn interesting if Fiat would have launched the 120bhp one. Still want to see when its launched(if its launched) how will Honda react.

Bit OT- Honda jazz will be launched in petrol only or diesel also?
Old 23rd January 2009, 20:55   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
And also I think that Verna wins hand down in performance also apart from that space matter.
And the second advantage Verna has is the A.S & S., a fact that Fiat is not able to address since long.

I seriously now doubt how the What car can give out unbaised judgement.
Buddy lets not bring Verna in, we all know Verna is quite powerful. Lets stick to Linea vs City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

OT : Harsh mostly we ll see only petrol Jazz . Honda might take time developing the diesel.
Old 23rd January 2009, 23:49   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Honda only has one diesel engine (a superb 2.2L producing 150ps) and does not have any that can be fitted on Jazz or City. This engine is a tech marvel in that Honda's aim was to make a diesel with the desirable characterstics of a petrol combined (there was a article on this engine a ACI issue last year)
Old 24th January 2009, 00:06   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Honda only has one diesel engine (a superb 2.2L producing 150ps) and does not have any that can be fitted on Jazz or City. This engine is a tech marvel in that Honda's aim was to make a diesel with the desirable characterstics of a petrol combined (there was a article on this engine a ACI issue last year)
The game has moved on a lot.... even a Tata 2.2 in Safari produces 140 bhp!
There are better engines around now.
Old 24th January 2009, 00:26   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
We are speaking of near petrol like refinement, low emissions, and a peak torque of 350Nm. And there is a higher tune version for Accura which makes close to 170 or 180bhp
Comparing Tata's 2.2 diesel with the Honda iDTEC can only be out of ignorance of what the iDTEC is. Its one of the most advanced diesels in the world right now!

Last edited by lancer_rit : 24th January 2009 at 00:27.
Old 24th January 2009, 00:30   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: You are right. VW diesels are the best ones around at this time. (Producing more than 100 BHP/Ltr.)
Old 24th January 2009, 00:41   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are speaking of near petrol like refinement, low emissions, and a peak torque of 350Nm. And there is a higher tune version for Accura which makes close to 170 or 180bhp
Comparing Tata's 2.2 diesel with the Honda iDTEC can only be out of ignorance of what the iDTEC is. Its one of the most advanced diesels in the world right now!
That was just a symbolic comparison not per se.... if a Tata Diesel can make 140 bhp from the same cubic capacity, 150 bhp from the same cubic capacity isnt a big deal. Besides there are a lot of better diesel engines around in the international market. We dont have to go too far out... the 2.0 Litre diesel in the captiva makes 150 bhp and 320 nm of torque.
Talking of refinement, almost all modern day diesel are near petrol refined.

Also, can you please elaborate on the 'most advanced diesel engine in the world' part? I would sincerely like to know what has Honda done differently? Thats all marketing and hype and you have given in to it, it seems.
Old 24th January 2009, 01:02   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was just a symbolic comparison not per se.... if a Tata Diesel can make 140 bhp from the same cubic capacity, 150 bhp from the same cubic capacity isnt a big deal. Besides there are a lot of better diesel engines around in the international market. We dont have to go too far out... the 2.0 Litre diesel in the captiva makes 150 bhp and 320 nm of torque.
Talking of refinement, almost all modern day diesel are near petrol refined.

Also, can you please elaborate on the 'most advanced diesel engine in the world' part? I would sincerely like to know what has Honda done differently? Thats all marketing and hype and you have given in to it, it seems.
I didn't say the most bhp/l of output, but the overall capabilities of the engine - bhp, torque, refinement, low-vibration, very low emissions, the list goes on.
Of course, VW, Fiat and the French have great diesels too. They have decades of diesel experience while Honda started in 2002/3, and their approach is to have diesels with less lag, high performance, and clean emissions. The 1st generation was iCTDi which won awards for diesel engine over Europe (most advanced diesel engine market in the world), and the new 2nd gen is called iDTEC which improves on the power/torque while reducing emissions and increasing mileage. Hope you don't feel the 2.2 Dicor is highly refined too :-)

As for 'one of the most advanced diesels' available, google around and you'll see that the iCTDi and iDTEC are highly regarded diesels. In my original post, I just wanted to say that Honda has concentrated on this single Diesel engine and don't have one for Jazz/City as a result. I never claimed its the highest specific output diesel engine.
And if you feel every VW diesel is higly refined, petrol like, then you are welcome to that viewpoint - having driven a couple of them, I feel differently.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 24th January 2009 at 01:15.
Old 24th January 2009, 01:10   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't say the most bhp/l of output, but the overall capabilities of the engine - bhp, torque, refinement, low-vibration, very low emissions, the list goes on.
Of course, VW, Fiat and the French have great diesels too. They have decades of diesel experience while Honda started in 2002/3, and their approach is to have diesels with less lag, high performance, and clean emissions. The 1st generation was iCTDi which won awards for diesel engine over Europe (most advanced diesel engine market in the world), and the new 2nd gen is called iDTEC which improves on the power/torque while reducing emissions and increasing mileage. Hope you don't feel the 2.2 Dicor is highly refined too :-)

As for 'one of the most advanced diesels' available, google around and you'll see that the iCTDi and iDTEC are highly regarded diesels. In my original post, I just wanted to say that Honda has concentrated on this single Diesel engine and don't have one for Jazz/City as a result.
And if you feel every VW diesel is higly refined, petrol like, then you are welcome to that viewpoint - having driven a few, I feel differently.
what are you on about.... the fact remains that they only have one diesel in their line up while other European manufacturer have a virtual army of refined and more powerful diesel engines. The honda engine is good no doubt but just one engine wont take Honda anywhere.
Old 24th January 2009, 01:28   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what are you on about.... the fact remains that they only have one diesel in their line up while other European manufacturer have a virtual army of refined and more powerful diesel engines. The honda engine is good no doubt but just one engine wont take Honda anywhere.
Sure, that was the original intention of my post, and what I mentioned (see below). You took it to unrelated and unnecessary direction of questioning its capability, technology etc - even comparing the 2.2 Dicor out there. I mentioned in my original post that it is an advanced Diesel engine with certain combination of characteristics.
Quote:
Anyway, this thread is on the Linea, and we are going rather OT - my last post on non-Linea topic on the thread.
Old 26th January 2009, 07:11   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously what is fun to drive?
Fun to drive = Swift according to all leading magazine. The throttle(engine) and steering responds instantaneously to your action.
Old 26th January 2009, 08:13   #238
Senior - BHPian

Top Story - City rules! - Business Standard Motoring

check out the feedback.
Old 26th January 2009, 09:08   #239
Senior - BHPian

@devarshi - interesting catch. thanks!
Who says everyone's blinded by the badge
Old 26th January 2009, 11:50   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@devarshi - interesting catch. thanks!
Who says everyone's blinded by the badge
But Linea was not included in the BS Motoring Car of the Year.
Closed Thread