Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26th January 2009, 13:35   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@devarshi - interesting catch. thanks!
Who says everyone's blinded by the badge
@ SkyWalker,interesting post. thanks!
Who says everyone is blinded by the car they own..

Last edited by aseem : 26th January 2009 at 13:40.
Old 26th January 2009, 13:53   #242

Was that a biased report? look the picture quality of two photos of interior, then we could not find any photo showing side and rear view of Fiat Linea
Old 26th January 2009, 16:54   #243
Senior - BHPian

@aseem: while i own a Palio, i am definitely not blinded by it. I have never claimed FIAT to be a better badge that Honda. In fact i agree that Honda has a better brand perception than FIAT.

So i wont play a FIAT - or any other brand's fanboy. Lets talk about the cars rather than the brand. I believe Linea is a better package than City for reasons other than its a specific brand. You are welcome to think otherwise.

And as for what i own, who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised in a few months
Old 27th January 2009, 02:15   #244
Senior - BHPian

Vinaysurya, Linea has been launched in 2009, so it will compete for awards in 2009.

@Aseem, the link is more about the overrated Honda city than Fiat Linea. Let the linea be in the market and settle itself. then we can talk about the competition.
Old 27th January 2009, 02:32   #245
Senior - BHPian

For looks and space i'll buy the Linea. For driving experience and engine performance i'll buy the City.As for the Linea,i've driven the 1.4 diesel version and though it is adequate, i felt the need for a little more raw power for the car to perform to it's full mettle.I'm curious as to how the petrol Linea performs.After test driving both cars i concluded that the Linea is a much better vfm package and does have the potential to make serious inroads in it's market segment provided FIAT ensures consistent after sales service.
Attached Thumbnails
Linea vs City Comparison Report-chennai-301-large.jpg  

Linea vs City Comparison Report-chennai-307-large.jpg  

Linea vs City Comparison Report-chennai-309-large.jpg  

Old 27th January 2009, 02:53   #246
BHPian

I have a slight feeling that the new honda city is better looking than the linea. Linea's chrome gives a old classic look while the ANHC looks very refined and youthful.

IMHO, For those long journeys Linea will give a good ride. ANHC will be better than linea in the city.
Old 27th January 2009, 05:54   #247
Senior - BHPian

I agree here that Honda City does look fresh compared to Linea to me. But I also do think that Ford Fiesta fills the gap Honda city is trying to more efficiently when comparing Linea to the Honda City.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:31   #248
BHPian

To me, both these cars look very good, equal points for both, but the design approaches are different. Its really unfair to say one looks better than the other, they certainly hold the model year 2009 badge in terms of new launches.

What differentiates one from the other though is the amount of features offered by Linea at its asking price, which makes it a better car in terms of value.

City wins hands down with respect to engine power and automatic option available as well as may be the driving position.

Leaving aside the stray cases, service support of both these brands look similar and nothing great to write home about based on the popular reviews here in this forum. Honda might turn out to be a little cheaper to own when compared to Fiat relying on Japanese reliability leaving aside the running costs but the initial cost of Fiat is a lot cheaper.

Linea holds the advantage of a good diesel engine and lots of goodies to make it a better car for all in general but Honda remains true to the enthusiasts, only hindrance being a higher initial cost as well as expenses on good alloy wheels and tyres. I personally feel one can live without a CD player as in the case with City, its not really a deal breaker but the climate control is the class requirement which looks odd by the lack of it in a 10 lakh rupees car.

IMO its unfair to say one is better than the other but this discussion may change once Fiat decides to get their 1.4 T-jet block here to India. As of now, Honda still satisfies the enthusiasts and boy racers, its more to do with what the requirement of the customer holds.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:36   #249
BHPian

Read in one of the articles that the Fiat Linea is completely Made in India.
Is that true?
Old 27th January 2009, 12:01   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Is that true?
It is completely assembled in India, if that is what you mean, there is a lot of imported content on it, I remember seeing that the radiator and some other cooling items were from a Turkish company, the boot strut or lever is from an Italian company (Stabilus or something).

I think around 50% localised would be an accurate guess. But FIAT is working on localising it more.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:15   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I think around 50% localised would be an accurate guess. But FIAT is working on localising it more.
Yes, you are right, currently Linea is 50% localised, 50% imported parts.

Fiat India plans to localise it to 80% by this year end (Dec'2009).
Old 27th January 2009, 12:16   #252
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Is that true?
What they (Fiat) said during the launch in Pune was that nearly 60% is localized already.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:53   #253
Senior - BHPian

Against the popular opinion, I absolutely hate the looks of the new Honda City. Linea looks exactly a million times better if not more.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:57   #254
Senior - BHPian

Default Review Update

Had a colleague of mine interested in TD of Linea, so went to the showroom again at lunch. The advantage of this showroom in Gurgaon is that both Honda and TATA Fiat Showrooms are right next to each other. We sat in both cars again and TD'd Linea, so here is an update.

Exteriors Honda City

We went here first, and the car looks good in some colors (I like Maroon), though the rear is still at odds with me. Its a very smart car, but looks slightly less big than its predessesor, specially from the rear. The front is drooling, and thats about it.

Rating: 4/5

Linea Exteriors

This is perhaps the biggest USP of the car, and it scores the highest in this category again!

Rating: 5/5

Honda City Interiors

I like the shape of the dash and so does my freind. Its nothing to rave about, but its all there in places. The power window control panel is cheap and so are the AC controls, but not offensive and they do what they are meant to do. In other words they are not posing to be of high quality and do exactly that. Other than that the seats have good thigh support, rear arm rest quality is nice and chunky. Fabric could be better, but I found them good overall. No comparison to NHC, but still good.

Rating 4/5

Linea Interiors

Perhaps City gets more marks now, as Linea thoroughly dissapointed both me and my freind in this criteria. The quality of plastic looks suspect, plenty of cost cutting evident, like the rear armrest, rear ac vent, roof plastic, dashboard central console looks dated. All of a sudden City became more accecptable to us interior wise. He seconded my opinion that Fiat have cut ends here to meet a good price.

Rating 2/5

Honda City Features

Before Fiat fans claim i am biased, I have added another category here in favor of Linea. City is low on features and apart from Automatic option there is no feature in City that Linea doesnt have. Climate Controls and Alloys are a must for this car.

Rating 2/5

Linea Features

Now Emotion and Emotion pack are the only variants that score over City for features. Dynamic doesnt have any extra features over City (I maybe wrong) but as far as I remember. Its the emotion and emotion pack that score over City in terms of features like Climate Control, Alloys and Blue and Me (puts even Civic to shame). Though Emotion Pack/Emotion Diesel almost cost the same as City S. The City E, becomes competitive against Dynamic.

Rating 4/5

Safety City

Gets all credit in my book. Enough has been said.

Rating 5/5

Safety Linea

Enough has been said. The fact is that apart from Emotion Plus no model gets airbags. I still stand by my argument, as safety is not mandatory across models and the % of ppl that dont by Emotion Plus wont get Airbags, and those that dont buy Dynamic Plus wont get ABS either.

Rating 3/5

Driveability and Engine City

Didnt drive it this time, but as far I remember it was silent and smooth with enough pull. It also required less gear changes and the gear shift was slick and smooth. The suspension was not as good as Linea, and bumps could be felt.

Rating 4/5

Driveability and Engine Linea

My freinds first observation SOUND! No matter how loud we put the music the sound could be heard. Those used to diesel I guess its fine, but I found the in cabin noise to be inacceptable for a C+ segment car. The pull in first was lacking, second was ok but above 2k RPM the sound was evident. The third and fourth gear and plenty of pull. But it required me to shift to 4th to reach 100, I am used to reaching 100 on second or third in Swift. The gear shift was notch, but the suspension was butter. Somehow I didnt fine the engine to be as refined as I would have liked, perhaps more due to poor sound insulation. Another thing I noticed this time was braking, which was too good imo.

Rating 3/5

Overall Score City: 19

Overall Score Linea: 17

However for those who are ok with deisel clatter and cover more than 2k kms a month, Linea makes sense as its deisel and would offer great FE. It also looks a class bigger than City.

Last edited by aseem : 27th January 2009 at 15:58.
Old 27th January 2009, 16:15   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Honda City Interiors

I like the shape of the dash and so does my freind. Its nothing to rave about, but its all there in places. The power window control panel is cheap and so are the AC controls, but not offensive and they do what they are meant to do. In other words they are not posing to be of high quality and do exactly that. Other than that the seats have good thigh support, rear arm rest quality is nice and chunky. Fabric could be better, but I found them good overall. No comparison to NHC, but still good.

Rating 4/5

Linea Interiors

Perhaps City gets more marks now, as Linea thoroughly dissapointed both me and my freind in this criteria. The quality of plastic looks suspect, plenty of cost cutting evident, like the rear armrest, rear ac vent, roof plastic, dashboard central console looks dated. All of a sudden City became more accecptable to us interior wise. He seconded my opinion that Fiat have cut ends here to meet a good price.

Rating 2/5

I would kindaa disagree on this .... I like the Linea Interiors more than the ANHC.... It was one of the reasons why I changed my Mind from ANHC to Linea....
Closed Thread