Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 27th January 2009, 16:53   #256
BHPian

Smile

@ aseem , You didn't give marks to the most important thing again , Price .

A diesel Honda City , if it is introduced ever , guess the price ?
Old 27th January 2009, 17:30   #257
Senior - BHPian

Aseem you have not taken "Pricing" as a decision factor in your review. City gets 5/5 for safety but at price. I guess for almost same price you get full safety in Linea as well right?
Old 27th January 2009, 17:33   #258
Senior - BHPian

@aseem:
1) In your review update, you could have included one parameter of interior space.

2) Linea looks bigger and looks a class above City, Verna and I do agree that Linea looks more in league of Toyota Corolla Altis/Honda Civic. But this does not translate into a better interior space.

3) Overall, here both the cars i.e. G3HC and Linea are overrated IMHO. The link posted by Devarshi84 also proves the same. May be BSM are mostly mad behind what lies under the hood, so for them G3HC was their COTY.

4) Although this is OT, but I would like to add that none of the cars are now even near to the cars available some year before. I am talking about Baleno/G1HC/Esteem/1.6 Ikon. I expected both Linea and G3HC ( the G3HC more so ) to be near to the above mentioned cars as far as pricing and FTD ( Fun To Drive ) go. These cars from yesteryear are still more communicative than the present range available. And the pricing seems to be very messed up.

5) Overall, IMHO, we have discussed enough about the features, etc. of both the cars. As with anybody including humans, these cars do have their own negative and positive points. They may appeal to customer with different requirements. No point in proving who is right, but rather we must talk about what is right.
Old 27th January 2009, 17:47   #259
BHPian

Its a good effort, but this can never be 'definitive'.
Things like external, interior looks are all subjective.
Your comparison ignores pricing, FE etc.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:17   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Its a good effort, but this can never be 'definitive'.
Things like external, interior looks are all subjective.
Your comparison ignores pricing, FE etc.
True. Pricing and FE are 2 main factors for 90% of people buying a car in India.
If they are included am sure Linea will win this by points
Old 27th January 2009, 18:26   #261
BHPian

Pricing and F.E. are important factors but a suggestion

How about also taking into account brand resale value & cost of ownership over say 5 years (15k's/year), cost of spares & variables (if available), etc. of the respective cars? It would help a great deal to give us a better perspective.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:02   #262
BHPian

90 bhp/208 NM torque. Linea engine specs are same as Octavia diesel which otherwise is a segment higher and commands a premium, thus making the price difference between Linea and Octavia to 3-4 lakhs. I wonder if this would affect Octavia sales.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:43   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Its been detuned by 5 bhp in India.
Its not really detuned by 5 bhp. it is a 90 PS(88.77) Engine in India where as the european markets get 90 bhp engine. The difference(2.3 bhp) is pretty insignificant especially for a price difference of 4 lakhs. My apologies for mentioning bhp instead of PS.
Old 27th January 2009, 20:53   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Its not really detuned by 5 bhp. it is a 90 PS(88.77) Engine in India where as the european markets get 90 bhp engine. The difference(2.3 bhp) is pretty insignificant especially for a price difference of 4 lakhs. My apologies for mentioning bhp instead of PS.
The official website mentions its 86 ps = 86/1.0149 = 84.73 bhp.
Here is the link : Fiat India
Old 27th January 2009, 21:32   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

1. Overall, here both the cars i.e. G3HC and Linea are overrated IMHO.

2. Although this is OT, but I would like to add that none of the cars are now even near to the cars available some year before. I am talking about Baleno/G1HC/Esteem/1.6 Ikon. I expected both Linea and G3HC ( the G3HC more so ) to be near to the above mentioned cars as far as pricing and FTD ( Fun To Drive ) go. These cars from yesteryear are still more communicative than the present range available. And the pricing seems to be very messed up.
1. Well in its class right now these 2 cars seem like the best options. Every car has its own positives and negatives. I would nt say they are overrated!

2. Well right now consumers are looking at FE and VFM . With more and more congested roads i dont think everyone would want a perfomance oriented car.It started off with NHC and more companies are looking at what majority of customers want. But i guess they should meet the needs of all consumers. Maybe Linea could get a more powerful engine soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
How about also taking into account brand resale value & cost of ownership over say 5 years (15k's/year), cost of spares & variables (if available), etc. of the respective cars? It would help a great deal to give us a better perspective.
Yup i agree, if someone could prepare a chart on this comparison.

Quote:

Honda City Interiors

I like the shape of the dash and so does my freind. Its nothing to rave about, but its all there in places. The power window control panel is cheap and so are the AC controls, but not offensive and they do what they are meant to do. In other words they are not posing to be of high quality and do exactly that. Other than that the seats have good thigh support, rear arm rest quality is nice and chunky. Fabric could be better, but I found them good overall. No comparison to NHC, but still good.

Rating 4/5

Linea Interiors

Perhaps City gets more marks now, as Linea thoroughly dissapointed both me and my freind in this criteria. The quality of plastic looks suspect, plenty of cost cutting evident, like the rear armrest, rear ac vent, roof plastic, dashboard central console looks dated. All of a sudden City became more accecptable to us interior wise. He seconded my opinion that Fiat have cut ends here to meet a good price.

Rating 2/5

Aseem Bhai , i would kinda disagree on this i have sat in both cars but when u enter City all you can see is cost cutting written all over it. Linea interiors are neat . Anyways thats your view

Last edited by karanraheja : 27th January 2009 at 21:35.
Old 27th January 2009, 21:42   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post

Aseem Bhai , i would kinda disagree on this i have sat in both cars but when u enter City all you can see is cost cutting written all over it. Linea interiors are neat . Anyways thats your view
I deliberately added a section of Features in the review and gave Linea a 5/5 to be evens stevens. But really look at the Linea again, specially the following:

1) Rear Seat Armrest (awful)

2) Front Seat Armrest

3) Quality of Fabric Used (gets dirty quickly too)

4) Silver Central Console looks dated

5) The black plastic on the side panels on the door.

6) Steering looks dated in comparison of City. (Subjective)

City is by no means good interiors, its quite basic whereas Linea has loads of buttons. But imo City will age gracefully, is more contemprary, and has better quality of fabric. Of course the AC controls, and the side panels for power windows look out of place in the new City.
Old 27th January 2009, 21:59   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But really look at the Linea again, specially the following:

1) Rear Seat Armrest (awful)

2) Front Seat Armrest
What is so awful about Armrests?

Quote:
3) Quality of Fabric Used (gets dirty quickly too)
Any fabric will get dirty in Indian road conditions, that is why you need seat covers.

Quote:
4) Silver Central Console looks dated

6) Steering looks dated in comparison of City. (Subjective)
Dated? Are you talking about Palio?
Cental console in Linea looks great to me.
And Steering looks very sporty.
Buddy, you own a Honda City, so your views and opinions are certainly biased towards Honda!

Last edited by finneyp : 27th January 2009 at 22:01.
Old 27th January 2009, 22:35   #268
BHPian

In my view, the basis of this "Definitive Comparison" is not definitive by any sense of imagination. The logic used for lower ratings and negatives of Fiat is flawed, the customer base for both these cars are different. The stated negatives of Fiat does not carry much weight in terms of buying decision for the cars. Rear armrests, colour of seat fabrics, rear seat headroom (I am 5'7) or even lack of cup holders are not deal breakers to me, if they offer these its only a bonus to me in any car, based on what I have seen none of them is in any way bad either. I do request the mods to take control so that it avoids unwanted baits and divisions as Fiat Fanboys vs. Honda Fanboys here, both these cars deserve a lot more respect than bringing them down this way for what they are.
Old 27th January 2009, 23:23   #269
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Someone who wants a diesel would choose Linea hands down, someone who wants performance would probably go for City. However the quality of material used (including fabric, rear armrest quality, rear ac vent quality) is outright downmarket and needs to be pointed out for the benefit of forummers.

Its cheap.

Agreed, but the quality of fabric is again downmarket and built to price.
Absolutely. You are talking about ANHC, right. It is INDEED cheap for what you pay
Old 27th January 2009, 23:36   #270
BHPian

@aseem, looks like all the Fiat owners are members in this forum to you.

All the factors mentioned can be corrected, if one does customization. Honda needs alloys and wider tyres to bring out its potential, Linea needs engine mapping or ECU upgrade to make it sporty, thus to each his own.

I am a Fiat owner for sure but I do love the beauty of this i-vtec engine in the City. Fiat too are one of the best engine makers but their choice now in India are not sporty. Remember, they brought out the very first 1.6 litre engined hatchback, Linea engines dont set such benchmarks, what it needs is the 1.4 T-jet.

However, these 2 cars when taken as an entire package, if VFM is a criteria, Linea would beat the City with by a margin. If I was in the market with a budget of 10 lacs, I would pick a City too for the engine, please dont catagorise us as "Fiat owners".
Closed Thread