Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 16:04   #16
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Very nicely written.
I agree with you on most points.

Honda scores well on brand value too. The popularity and acceptance of the City also tips the scales to it's side.
And I don't want to remind anybody here about the better A.S.S of Honda.

Eyes closed, CITY takes the crown!
speedzak is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 16:13   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@aseem - 2.5 on safety for Linea is a joke. I cannot buy your argument that FIAT has lower end versions - so should suffer on security. The lowest model City E will come around the same price of Petrol Topend which has airbags - so your logic is flawed.
I agree.

I guess the logic being followed is compare City E with Linea Dynamic.

Buyers do not think like that. Well, City E costs 7.95 lacs while Linea Petrol Emotion PK costs 7.21. If a buyer can buy the top end model of a product over the City with all safety features PLUS more comfort and luxury features and still save 70K why wouldn't he do that?!

A buyer is not going to say that since City's base model is E I am going to only look at Linea Dynamic and ignore all prices. Unless the buyer or his relative is the owner of Honda, I don't see anyone taking such decisions.

In any case, Linea will never outsell Honda City. So what's the point of all this comparisions? The only car that's going to get slaughtered by the Linea is the Fiesta. SX4, Verna and even Logan may take a hit to some extent but not the City.
amit is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 16:19   #18
BHPian
 
lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: TN-09
Posts: 164
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I enjoyed reading it, quite nice.
lynx is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 16:47   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,837
Thanked: 1,310 Times
Default

for me , no diesel city = my vote against them, and probably a lot of people will buy the linea, just because it a is diesel
greenhorn is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 16:55   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calicut/Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
If you do go with Option pack you still dont get the alloys (they are available as acceriors in Deisel), the reason I am hammering this point is that Honda has been blamed a lot for not giving alloys and somehow Fiat has escaped the radar by not giving alloys in the Diesel model. Emotion Pack however does pack a punch of features, many of which like Blue and Me that can put cars of higher segments to shame. Some nice features like having the boot opener on the central console.
I think you are wrong here. In diesel, Alloys are included in the Emotion Option pack whereas in Petrol alloys are included in Emotion variant itself
Shaddow.Fax is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 17:20   #21
Newbie
 
lonelystar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I don't see any reason for the fiesta to get slaughtered by linea, while the former is class leading when it comes to handling. Has got a nice free revving and higher output engine. Though i admit that some gizmos are missing. IMHO every car should be reviewed only as a package for the given value because eveyone has his own taste. I can't drive a car which is underpowered but again it may be preferred by many.
lonelystar is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 17:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,201 Times
Default

Fascinating comparison, and excellent write up. Thank you.
Thad E Ginathom is online now  
Old 17th January 2009, 17:38   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Very nicely written.
Eyes closed, CITY takes the crown!
with eyes open, Linea takes the crown and the scepter.
Astleviz is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 18:15   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Thanks aseem for what is apparently an unbiased comparison based on back-to-back test drives.

I hate beige with a vengence - why is everyone pushing beige interiors these days?

Must say the Linea centre console and steering look pretty dated, almost as though they come from another era. The car's side-profile is absolutely gorgeous, though.

Out of interest, how come 90 (or is it 85?) bhp on the Linea feels slow when there are other sedans like the Fiesta with 68bhp engines that seem to be doing pretty okay? I've heard of comparisons with the Verna where the Fiesta comes across as slowER, but I've never heard that car being labelled SLOW.

City is a very wrong and overambitious target for the Linea. It looks like its more in Fiesta/Verna territory. Perhaps that would be a more realistic comparison but there it would be blasted out by the Verna in the engine department and outclassed by the Ford on interior quality.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 18:21   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,837
Thanked: 1,310 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
City is a very wrong and overambitious target for the Linea. It looks like its more in Fiesta/Verna territory.
True. but somebody should tell Fiat that. they're trying to planning with the civic and corolla in brazil

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th January 2009 at 18:25. Reason: to avoid possible misunderstanding
greenhorn is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 18:24   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jamshedpur
Posts: 205
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I would definately say that the linea is far more deserving than the anhc because anhc is overpriced underequiped and has cheap interiors.Linea has better interiors better ride quality for our roads and a higher ground clearence.So taking the indian conditions linea should win the comparison hands down.
ahuja365 is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 19:39   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 188
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Must say the Linea centre console and steering look pretty dated, almost as though they come from another era. The car's side-profile is absolutely gorgeous, though.
I found linea's centre console much sorted out and decent looking than the City's and Fiesta's much more complicated and confused and finally sore to your eyes.
I completely disagree on Sx4 interiors better than linea. I checked all the sedan's in mumbai's auto show. When you get to see all the cars back to back you can derive better judgement. Sx4 is the worst in terms of quality and plush feel. Linea's interiors are the best, city is close second. Linea's steering feels the best to hold on to, city's is mor like a Joystick you can get for your ps2/3s.
And I also wonder, how can a 85bhp 203nm torque car be so slow when Fiesta(d)/NHC(77bhp) were never considered bad as far as city driving was concerned.
rajdoll is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 19:45   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Any probs with the Linea pedals? Coz my cousin test drove it yesterday and he found that the pedals were placed a bit too close to each other.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 19:50   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
True. but somebody should tell Fiat that. they're trying to planning with the civic and corolla in brazil
Managers everywhere need to justify their job now more than ever before!


but yes, I agree ...

@Shan2nu: That's the Fiat way! He'll get used to it.

Last edited by phamilyman : 17th January 2009 at 19:53.
phamilyman is offline  
Old 17th January 2009, 19:52   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Firstly thanks to all for appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2u
Any probs with the Linea pedals? Coz my cousin test drove it yesterday and he found that the pedals were placed a bit too close to each other.

Shan2nu
One more point I'd like to add, that it was very difficult to get a perfect driving position in Linea. The dead pedal angle too was awkward and I couldnt get my feet to rest on it without depressing the clutch.

Shan2nu I do agree the pedals for right hand drive car in India are too close. Specially the clutch and dead pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@aseem - 2.5 on safety for Linea is a joke. I cannot buy your argument that FIAT has lower end versions - so should suffer on security. The lowest model City E will come around the same price of Petrol Topend which has airbags - so your logic is flawed.
I hope you appreciate the effort to collate ideas and write a review, before you jump the gun and call someones difference of opinion a joke!

I dont think its fair to compare the Linea FIRE engine with the iVtec of Honda at all. The engine costs definitely more than FIRE engine and is technically more advanced. If its a mere feature comparison without cost of engine coming into the equation, than by that logic even Civic E would be considered to be outdone by Linea which is definitely not the case.

Honda could have very well kept the iDsi engine and sold the car at 7.2 lakhs, but they have given us a more powerful engine, one which they give internationally and one that hasnt been detuned a lot (by a mere 2 PS).

Lastly coming to the point of Safety. The point I want to make here is Honda could have come up without Airbags and ABS in E model and lowered the entry price of the car by 50k. But they didnt give user an option to choose safety versus low initial cost. This might result in loss of sale but they have set the precedence imo that needs to be appreciated.

I can promise you that not many will opt for the Diesel Emotion Plus or Petrol Emotion Plus pack (Just like we have more Swift Vxi than Zxi on road). For those that dont, they wont be getting these safety features. Thats why I have taken points away from Fiat. Simply as Safety is optional but not mandatory!

Everyone has the right to disagree and I appreciate that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I hate beige with a vengence - why is everyone pushing beige interiors these days?

Must say the Linea centre console and steering look pretty dated, almost as though they come from another era. The car's side-profile is absolutely gorgeous, though.
.
I totally agree, interiors, specially central console do look slightly dated like the Cedia. But the side profile puts Jetta to shame!

Last edited by aseem : 17th January 2009 at 19:58.
aseem is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza a4anurag Sedans 214 26th November 2017 00:15
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville mobike008 Superbikes & Imports 334 15th May 2015 10:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks