Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29th January 2009, 13:25   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
this thread started out on a very good note and the intentions of the thread starter were very genuine.
Maybe. But it's pretty clear by now that he couldn't and he still can't handle views that are not in agreement to his. I don't feel the need to point out the comments that made me feel that way. It's pretty clear to everyone here.

Quote:
If someone has a different point of view, post it but do not ridicule the other's point of view.
I didn't see that happening until the thread starter started calling everyone that had a different view then his, a Fiat owner or biased towards that brand. What's amazing is that people in agreement with him are not Honda owners or biased! If that isn't convinient, I don't know what is.

Quote:
Everyone does not have to share your views, please learn to respect that.
Initially most opinions were against one parameter of the cars. Not a single member was against the 'winner' yet the thread starter couldn't take that. Isnt it amazing that he keeps asking people to respect a different point of view but he can't do the same?

Anyway I am out of this thread. I still maintain that a re-comparo of the two cars was the point when this thread lost all it's crediblity. The dictionary meaning of the word definitive proves that. As I said earlier, this thread stopped being about cars long long back.

Last edited by amit : 29th January 2009 at 13:27.
Old 29th January 2009, 13:40   #317

I own a new Honda City (Type S), purchased a month back. Test drove a Linea with a friend a few days back and regreted my Purchase of the Honda City instantly. But my friend who had driven my car and test drove the Linea, prefered the City by far despite my best efforts and is extremely happy with it. So I guess it is finally down to perceptions and what do people give more value to (Engine Vs Comfort Vs Safety Vs Resale). Both the cars are extremely good and would offer good competition to each other in different aspects.
Old 29th January 2009, 13:55   #318
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Amit here.

My view here is - Lets just wait for the Linea to settle down. Let the dust settle down in this thread as well. As of now, the Linea will sell more as its a recent launch as compared to the city and also was popular amongst the "few" members from the general public all thanks to TBhp.

A few months down the line, City will again start selling more as the Linea hoopla would die down (Which I don't want to die). It'll be a sad thing but this is India. A** is what matters. Fiat had a bad history of the same and luckily they have had a fabulous start (just like the Indian cricket team) and I hope they chase down the Honda (and not loose wickets like our team does when chasing a target) by providing excellent after sales support. Just keeping my fingers crossed that TATA folks don't s-c-r-e-w it this time.

It is an excellent product backed by fantastic pricing. However, Honda after all is Honda. Let the battle continue, I am bringing my pop corns.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:10   #319
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Linea today and I am hopelessly in love with it.

The first and second gears are very short which me thinks is for luggability since the engine isnt high on cubic capacity.
The interiors are very nice but some of the plastic bits were cheap for a car of this segment.
The ride is execellent and the body roll is well contained.
Now I come to the most impressive bit which undoubtedly are the looks! Its one of those cars which isnt just designed to sell in numbers else how would you explain the tight headroom which could have been corrected had they not gone in for that sexy curvy roof which gives it the side profile to die for. How about the clean back which looks as soft as a baby's behind but rivals JLO for curves. You see it and you want it even before you have gone through the specifications sheet or knowing how much power and torque the engine makes or how it rides or handles or how comfortable and luxurious the interiors are. Its utterly gorgeous!
Its one of those rare cars of today which sacrifices function for form and for that reason alone I would buy it.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:56   #320
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Linea today. Petrol version as it is available here in Pune. It was a very short test drive. May be this weekend will again go and check it out with wifey.

Much has been already said about it. My few cents below:

Tested: 1.4 Linea Emotion Petrol

Good bits:
1. Fantastic exteriors.
2. Did not feel like car is asking for mercy when starting from standstill.
3. Nice driveability in city. 2nd seems to be pretty short to me.
4. Good handling and smooth ride
5. Adequate power to smoothly roam around in city. AC was on and we were 4 of all types of weights. My Palio 1.2 struggles when AC is put on with full load.
6. Rear view mirror rocks. Fantastic view.
7. Good brakes. Better than my Palio
8. Adequate music system
9. Good visibility
10. Clutch is not hard as Palio

Bad bits:
1. Rear seat parcel tray (The one in the center) could have been better
2. front armrest is ok-ok
3. Opposite placement of indicator levers (One can get used to)

I was very comfortable driving this beauty. Not at all felt like it is underpowered as it is made out to be.
Old 29th January 2009, 17:02   #321
Senior - BHPian

OMG the car is a head turner when u see it in person. It might look simple design and such but seeing it in person completely changes everything.

Saw one today at traffic lights (white or silver color) standing next to a Red ANHC. It sure was looking better than Honda and the car is bigger than Honda. Not sure about specs or anything but i kept on looking at the car in my rear view mirror.

Linea sure is admirable. Good luck Fiat!
Old 29th January 2009, 17:26   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
OMG the car is a head turner when u see it in person. It might look simple design and such but seeing it in person completely changes everything.

Saw one today at traffic lights (white or silver color) standing next to a Red ANHC. It sure was looking better than Honda and the car is bigger than Honda. Not sure about specs or anything but i kept on looking at the car in my rear view mirror.

Linea sure is admirable. Good luck Fiat!
Dying to see it on road but guess not many deliveries done in NCR yet
Yes In person Linea looks awesome and looks are subjective. No offence to any owners but i find the looks of First Gen Honda city much better than ANHC (maybe cos i hate the front grill).

@Amtak - Valid point regarding the long term.

Last edited by harry10 : 29th January 2009 at 17:33.
Old 29th January 2009, 17:42   #323
Senior - BHPian

@neo : probably this is the first review of petrol. Sounds pretty good. You should move this to the TD section.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:04   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@neo : probably this is the first review of petrol. Sounds pretty good. You should move this to the TD section.

Yes. Just added to the TD section
Old 30th January 2009, 12:39   #325
Max
BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I agree with Amit here.

My view here is - Lets just wait for the Linea to settle down. Let the dust settle down in this thread as well. As of now, the Linea will sell more as its a recent launch as compared to the city and also was popular amongst the "few" members from the general public all thanks to TBhp.

A few months down the line, City will again start selling more as the Linea hoopla would die down (Which I don't want to die). It'll be a sad thing but this is India. A** is what matters. Fiat had a bad history of the same and luckily they have had a fabulous start (just like the Indian cricket team) and I hope they chase down the Honda (and not loose wickets like our team does when chasing a target) by providing excellent after sales support. Just keeping my fingers crossed that TATA folks don't s-c-r-e-w it this time.

It is an excellent product backed by fantastic pricing. However, Honda after all is Honda. Let the battle continue, I am bringing my pop corns.
I fully agree with you AMIT. Though Linea is very good car and overall VFM but it has to prove it. Why it has to prove it ?? Because FIAT is screwed up brand and nobody wants to touch it YET.

Let some people buy it and share experience. I am also in line to buy this car, ONLY IF AFTER SALES SERVICE AND OWNERSHIP report is good.
Old 30th January 2009, 13:40   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I fully agree with you AMIT.

Let some people buy it and share experience. I am also in line to buy this car, ONLY IF AFTER SALES SERVICE AND OWNERSHIP report is good.
OT: I am actually surprised to read that after 2 years of my existence, I have been called by my real name by 2 people. I really have forgotten my real name as everyone calls me amtak only! I might not turn if someone yells Amit (2/10 are Amits) but amtak for sure!

Topic related: Max, all the best. I hope you purchase the car and also enjoy a good A**
Old 30th January 2009, 14:09   #327
BHPian

After reading so many good reports went with an office colleague for test drive of Linea at A1 Motors Mathura . Fantastic reception no one to tell you anything about Linea finally got hold of one salesperson who came back after 15 mins. of waiting to say that car is not available as it has gone to some xyz for test drive please leave your no. and I will call you after the car is back . So no reponse for 7 days , finally tried with ABS motors in Gurgaon waiting time of 2 hrs for test drive if you want to wait else you can leave yur no. and will call you again no response . Went to Courtsey Honda got treated like a customer was asked for tea / coffee and while we finished tea the car was ready for test drive and afterwards sales persons spent some time in explaining features .

I guess choice is made ?
Old 30th January 2009, 16:26   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
After reading so many good reports went with an office colleague for test drive of Linea at A1 Motors Mathura . Fantastic reception no one to tell you anything about Linea finally got hold of one salesperson who came back after 15 mins. of waiting to say that car is not available as it has gone to some xyz for test drive please leave your no. and I will call you after the car is back . So no reponse for 7 days , finally tried with ABS motors in Gurgaon waiting time of 2 hrs for test drive if you want to wait else you can leave yur no. and will call you again no response . Went to Courtsey Honda got treated like a customer was asked for tea / coffee and while we finished tea the car was ready for test drive and afterwards sales persons spent some time in explaining features .

I guess choice is made ?
Hi Amit

Guess most of the reports are about the car. Have not heard too many glowing reports about a dealership.

My personal experience with Arya Honda has not been any better. Multiple visits, no reception, no tea, sometimes no brochures, no idea about ANC when it was initially launched. I do not blame Honda for it. The particular personnel were incompetent.

But remember, we are buying a product. Suggest that you evaluate the 2 products independent of dealer quality and then incorporate your dealer preference later.

The best dealership experience I have had is with Sai Service at Parel, Mumbai. Very good experience in terms of reception, patience, service and follow up too. Unfortunately the product did not meet my requirement and hence I did not end up being a buyer.
Old 30th January 2009, 18:33   #329
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from the Team-BHP Support : We've spent a phenomenal amount of time on cleaning up this thread. A reminder of our board policies : PERSONAL ATTACKS are strictly prohibited. Attack the issue, not the person. Any more derogatory posts will entail infractions.

Thanking you for your co-operation.
Old 30th January 2009, 20:08   #330
Senior - BHPian

It's pretty evident that the Honda fans are pointing out bad A.S.S. for the Fiat and its power which is correct. While Fiat guys are pointing out the build quality of a Linea and the Premium price of the city for which Honda has foregone many basic features.

Both the statements are correct and hence both the cars will sell, albeit Honda will sell more. A day before while comparing various cars I was really tempted by the price of a fully loaded petrol Linea. But then it just occured to me.

I am paying the price for lots of features for a compromise on the engine. It's the same case as a Chevrolet Aveo 1.4LT.
Closed Thread