Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2009, 21:23   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Car purchase is never an objective decision, so unless the vehicle is an absolute disaster like the 118NE, its very difficult to say whether its better or worse than its contemporary.
OT, but I used to know a few118NE owners who couldn't be happier with their car. I dare say it was the most comfortable and quite spacious car available in India in that range (travelled as passenger many times) and scored easily over the Maruti 1000 (and later Esteem) and even Cielo in the comfort part. It looked ugly like anything though.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 30th January 2009 at 21:27.
Old 31st January 2009, 00:21   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
OT, but I used to know a few118NE owners who couldn't be happier with their car. I dare say it was the most comfortable and quite spacious car available in India in that range (travelled as passenger many times) and scored easily over the Maruti 1000 (and later Esteem) and even Cielo in the comfort part. It looked ugly like anything though.

I too owned one which I still admire a lot. There are a lot of things that I miss from a 118NE.
The ride quality and rear comfort of 118NE which betters palio, city, verna, Vista and fiesta. The rear wheel drive and the screatching rear tyres.
The big boot, the absolutely silky gearbox which needed only the little finger to operate.
It had every reasons as the car of the year.. and twas the best of that era.
Old 31st January 2009, 01:19   #333
BHPian

Story unfolds:

Was fishing for a car loan in Chennai. HDFC bank agent tells me he will ask the Linea dealer to give me a call (cos I wanted to buy it lol). 4:00 PM call from VST motors.

Dealer: Sir, are you interested in Linea.
Me: Yes, but only the petrol version, hip-hop black, emotion pack.
Dealer: Give me your address Sir, I will drop in a brochure.
Me: No disrespect, I know enough about the car already and I dont need no brochure telling me more lol.
Dealer: Oh thats good sir, when do you want a TD.
Me: How about yesterday? lol, I want it tomorrow.
Dealer: Sir petrol version only came to us for TD today morning and there is a big queue for TD over this weekend. Can I give you a TD on Monday?
Me: Nope, if not this weekend, then the next weekend please. I have already made up mind to buy Linea (oh really huh). But need a TD for sure.
Dealer: Hand on a sec sir, (hush hush hush on the background). Silence for few sec. Sir give me your address I will get the car to your place tomorrow afternoon 12:00 ~ 1:00.
Me: (yay, woohoooo) Ya ya ok, but make sure you are on time, I'm busy (lol not really I cant wait to TD petrol Linea).

So this is it, after waiting for a long time and pondering over City vs Linea, the litmus test is on tomorrow. Will keep you all posted on how it went. Look out for my TD report tomorrow.

Can't sleep now, cant wait, is it time for TD yet (shut up donkey)
Old 31st January 2009, 13:09   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
Can't sleep now, cant wait, is it time for TD yet (shut up donkey)
I can feel your excitement bud! Since you are online now, I believe you have'nt yet gone out for your TD? Hope it happens for you today and update us with your views.Good Luck

Will be taking a TD of the Petrol Linea tomorrow myself.

EDIT - You just went offline! Great, maybe its time.

Last edited by roms : 31st January 2009 at 13:10.
Old 31st January 2009, 21:48   #335
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the ANHC while I was waiting for a niggling problem in my NHC to be fixed.

First, the dealership's sales staff is the same. No one comes and asks you what you want despite them seeing you hover around a car. Eventually I grabbed someone and asked for a test drive. I got a manual S version.

Most of my thoughts are in comparison the NHC. As soon as you rev the engine, put it in first and take off, you feel the power of the engine. It really does push you back in your seat if you floor it - that feeling is noticeably absent in the NHC i-DSI.

The ride is significantly better than the NHC. The NHC is harsh and loses its composure on bad roads. The ANHC is much better and handles potholes well. The suspension seems more pliable - perhaps the bigger tires and rim size helps here.

On the inside, the dash is nice and sleek but the quality of the door panels and power window switches is quite a letdown compared to the NHC, which punches above its weight as far as interiors are concerned.

In the back, you feel the same lack of quality in the armrest. The NHC has a big cushion that comes down and rests on the seat, so it can take a lot of weight. The ANHC's is smaller, thinner and stops a couple of inches above the seat. Its build doesn't inspire confidence that it'll be able to withstand someone shoving their elbow on to it and resting their body weight on it.

The headroom at the back is worse than the NHC and the legroom seems lesser too. The salesman told me the ANHC is a little less in width and interior space!! I didn't know that.

The trip meter showed an FE of 11.1 kmpl. If that is normal then its much worse than the NHC, which gives me 13.5 with A/C in the city.

The only other thoughts I had were that the ANHC feels bigger while driving - maybe that is because of the long front but the steering is over-servoed to such an extent at low speeds that you can turn the car with a finger or two of one hand. I popped open the engine bay and I found one thing to be particularly strange. It seems the car is built for a bigger engine. There are a couple of inches of space between the front and the 1.5 i-VTEC and also between the engine and the body bulkhead - I wondered why that is. The salesman helpfully told me that is to lessen the impact of a frontal collision on the engine. I don't buy that. Honda isn't going to use more steel and make a car longer and more expensive to create a buffer between the engine and the front.

The lack of alloys, fog lights etc are galling. Perhaps it's better to wait a while and waiy for a special edition variant with all those gizmos. BTW you can buy better side door panels as part of the Honda accessories list - cheapskates!!

Last edited by StarScream : 31st January 2009 at 21:53.
Old 31st January 2009, 22:05   #336
Senior - BHPian

I believe this was mentioned in one of these billion different Linea vs ANHC threads, but the big gap in the engine bay is to accommodate the R18A from the Civic. This is offered in China.
Old 31st January 2009, 23:44   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post

I too owned one which I still admire a lot. There are a lot of things that I miss from a 118NE.
The ride quality and rear comfort of 118NE which betters palio, city, verna, Vista and fiesta. The rear wheel drive and the screatching rear tyres.
The big boot, the absolutely silky gearbox which needed only the little finger to operate.
It had every reasons as the car of the year.. and twas the best of that era.
from my side too but tsk just rubbed wrong way by mentioning 118 NE. my father owned it for like 4 years and it was one of the most spacious ,with softest gear shifts, best a.c and rear comfort excellent vehicle with single drawback..body panels got rusted quite early..i have grown up driving premier padmini(floor gears ) and 118 N.E and i would like to say people over here please be little bit considerate while writing. These cars were like manoj kumar or dharmendra of there times if not rajesh khanna or amitabh.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:31   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I can feel your excitement bud! Since you are online now, I believe you have'nt yet gone out for your TD? Hope it happens for you today and update us with your views.Good Luck

Will be taking a TD of the Petrol Linea tomorrow myself.

EDIT - You just went offline! Great, maybe its time.
Update: The TD promised never happened . TD Car wasn't available and I'm going to be busy with work for next couple of weeks. So blah hmmm blah blah.

Hope to see the first TD of petrol Linea from someone here. Particularly the power of the car with A/C on, I don't want to feel like a cow trying to overtake a lazy, heavy truck on a highway.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:37   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I popped open the engine bay and I found one thing to be particularly strange. It seems the car is built for a bigger engine. There are a couple of inches of space between the front and the 1.5 i-VTEC and also between the engine and the body bulkhead - I wondered why that is. The salesman helpfully told me that is to lessen the impact of a frontal collision on the engine. I don't buy that. Honda isn't going to use more steel and make a car longer and more expensive to create a buffer between the engine and the front.
Salesman is 50% right. Its to reduce impact to the passengers as well. Helps not only insurance repair rating but also crash ratings.
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:10   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Salesman is 50% right. Its to reduce impact to the passengers as well. Helps not only insurance repair rating but also crash ratings.
I'm told in China the City is sold with the Civic 1.8L block. Hence the engine comparment is a bit big for the smaller 1.5L block they sell here.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:03   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I believe this was mentioned in one of these billion different Linea vs ANHC threads, but the big gap in the engine bay is to accommodate the R18A from the Civic. This is offered in China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
In my opinion the empty space in on account of fitting in the 1.8l - not so much safety. If it was the latter then we'd see the same in the NHC, Civic and Accord but that's not the case. The engines look just right in those cars. In the ANHC is really does look like a small engine has been plonked into a large engine bay - there is a lot of empty space around.

Perhaps it is a sign of things to come - diesel or hybrid maybe?? ANHC Sport version with 1.8l priced on par with the Civic E??
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:45   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps it is a sign of things to come - diesel or hybrid maybe?? ANHC Sport version with 1.8l priced on par with the Civic E??
I read somewhere that the ANHC is also bound to be sold in some European markets so a diesel is a good possibility
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:53   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I read somewhere that the ANHC is also bound to be sold in some European markets so a diesel is a good possibility
Yes that seems like a possibility but I read somewhere that for the moment they are going to sell it in Europe with a 1.4L iVtec.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:56   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Yes that seems like a possibility but I read somewhere that for the moment they are going to sell it in Europe with a 1.4L iVtec.
Even if Honda introduces a diesel engine City, it is likely to price one segment above Linea. Linea's trump card is that it is diesel. And people who buys a diesel engined car care a lot about fuel efficiency. If Linea can deliver both, it will be sure success.
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:54   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I'm told in China the City is sold with the Civic 1.8L block. Hence the engine comparment is a bit big for the smaller 1.5L block they sell here.
Could very well be Navin. In fact, the Euro Civic is based on the Fit/Jazz/NHC platform also and can even fit the honking 2.2 liter turbo diesel engine. When you have a car with a base 4cyl and optional V6 engine, the 4banger will have a better crash protection.

Quote:
In my opinion the empty space in on account of fitting in the 1.8l - not so much safety. If it was the latter then we'd see the same in the NHC, Civic and Accord but that's not the case. The engines look just right in those cars.
Well its not my opinion, but I am telling you the theory behind crumple zone design for body structures.
Closed Thread