Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 3rd February 2009, 10:50   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Well its not my opinion, but I am telling you the theory behind crumple zone design for body structures.
I don't dispute the theory about crumple zones. I dispute the fact that this car needs a front that big with the 1.5L to provide safety. I don't think safety is the reason why the bay is big - it is to fit a bigger engine, as others here have said.

If it were true that more empty space in the engine bay means more safety then we'd be seeing that in a lot more cars.

Pop the hood open of the ANHC and take a look - you'll see what I mean. The engine looks puny for that engine bay.

PS - the flip side of this argument would be - The ANHC is safer with the 1.5L than the 1.8L because there is more empty space to absorb an impact with the former. I can't imagine how the Chinese will feel when they get to know this!!

Last edited by StarScream : 3rd February 2009 at 10:54. Reason: added post script note
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:12   #347
BHPian

Best time to have this Linea vs. City debate shall be in 2012-3 when the EMI's on City and Linea run out and it is the time to buy a new car by exchaning you existing city / Linea with new one the amount you will get for the exchange will be a true indicator of which is better
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:16   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
Best time to have this Linea vs. City debate shall be in 2012-3 when the EMI's on City and Linea run out and it is the time to buy a new car by exchaning you existing city / Linea with new one the amount you will get for the exchange will be a true indicator of which is better
Historically Fiat has never had a good resale value. I am pretty sure that Honda will win the race even if the Linea is better. It is the same as a GM and a Ford. The cars might be nice, but don't stand a chance when compared to a Japanese auto maker.
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:54   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
I cant drive a car I dont like for 5 years thinking about a guy who will buy it from me.... isnt it stupid... all this resale thingie.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:12   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I cant drive a car I dont like for 5 years thinking about a guy who will buy it from me.... isnt it stupid... all this resale thingie.
I won't call overall consideration of resale value stupid if I plan to change my car often i.e. in 3 years timeframe. It is also not about consideration about some other guy, who is going to buy the car. It is about what that guy is going to pay me for my car

But I do agree that if you are planning to use the car for more than 5 years, resale should be lower in the priority list. (Even if get 1L extra 5 years later, you have already paid 1L extra upfront and that would have appreciated much higher).
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:23   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with extreme torque if I hear my heart.

My head says you should also give some weight age to after sales value, long term service costs and spare parts availability before buying a car. I would like to buy a car that would take least time and money for maintenance & repairs, also return me a decent value after 3-5 years of use. One should note that resale value has a good co-relation to the reliability of the car.

Last edited by DieselFan : 3rd February 2009 at 12:25.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:03   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
One should note that resale value has a good co-relation to the reliability of the car.
I don't agree to that.

In India, resale value depends on the brand image, and nothing to do with reliability of the cars.
Fiat makes built to last, reliable cars, but it was their brand image in India so far which affected the Resale value of their cars.

I hope with the launch of stunning cars like Linea, G Punto etc and improved After-sales, the brand image of Fiat will attain a high standing.

Last edited by finneyp : 3rd February 2009 at 14:04.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:25   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
In India, resale value depends on the brand image, and nothing to do with reliability of the cars.
Whether in India or any other country, Brand equity is the end result of sustained excellence in attributes which are valued by end user. An organization builds its brand image- can't buy one off the shelf.

And, for automobiles, reliability would be one the key attributes that builds Brand equity.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:40   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
It is also not about consideration about some other guy, who is going to buy the car. It is about what that guy is going to pay me for my car
It is my friend.... for the reason that he will offer you more money for the same age car than the competing brand which you like even though you like the other one.
Besides I dont know of many people, infact none who would change their brand new car in 3 years. 3 years is the minimum time people clear their car loans these days.

My purchase is a combination of head and heart and not just head or heart.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 3rd February 2009 at 14:42.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:40   #355
BHPian

i havent test driven the petrol version yet. but i surely do not expect it to be a slouch. neither do i expect it to be a hoot while comparing with the city. a lot of the reviews i have read say a lot about how lethargic the ANHC VTEC petrol motor is.

This in my opinion would be a better comparison.
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:04   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Whether in India or any other country, Brand equity is the end result of sustained excellence in attributes which are valued by end user. An organization builds its brand image- can't buy one off the shelf.

And, for automobiles, reliability would be one the key attributes that builds Brand equity.

So this means that with this logic the ANHC is a better buy than the SX4 or Linea
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:05   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
i havent test driven the petrol version yet. but i surely do not expect it to be a slouch. neither do i expect it to be a hoot while comparing with the city. a lot of the reviews i have read say a lot about how lethargic the ANHC VTEC petrol motor is.

This in my opinion would be a better comparison.
Now I am confused...
So this means that with this logic the ANHC is NOT a better buy than the Linea (Can i also add SX4)
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:19   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

May be OT: response to my email @ ceo corner on the Fiat Website

Dear Prasad
We have plans for having an automatic version of the Linea with a higher engine capacity. But things are quite sublime right now. But we do have plans for the premium Linea.

Regards,
Rajeev Kapoor

[Hi Rajeev,
Appreciate the prompt response.
However I would like to know if there will be better engine options for the already launched Linea in the near future as I am contemplating purchasing Linea with either a T-jet or a more powerful Diesel.

Thanks & Regards,
KRISHNA PRASAD N

Last edited by nkrishnap : 3rd February 2009 at 15:21. Reason: html tags
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:34   #359
Senior - BHPian

darn... the Linea with the 1.9 Litre JTD will be a stonker! Bring it on Fiat and I am starting to save already!
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:58   #360
BHPian

Quote:
darn... the Linea with the 1.9 Litre JTD will be a stonker! Bring it on Fiat and I am starting to save already!
+1 on this!

I was telling my friends that if Linea launches with a 1.6/1.9 JTD then I will *have* to buy it come hell or high water

I hope Fiat brings it later - After I've saved enough
Closed Thread