Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 3rd February 2009, 18:21   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I don't dispute the theory about crumple zones. I dispute the fact that this car needs a front that big with the 1.5L to provide safety. I don't think safety is the reason why the bay is big - it is to fit a bigger engine, as others here have said!
the R18 is only 300cc bigger, I doubt if it will require that much more space. Newer cars are constantly getting safer and safer. Pedestrian safety requires you to have space above the engine as well.
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:34   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
i havent test driven the petrol version yet. but i surely do not expect it to be a slouch. neither do i expect it to be a hoot while comparing with the city. a lot of the reviews i have read say a lot about how lethargic the ANHC VTEC petrol motor is.

This in my opinion would be a better comparison.
Hey Ramesh,

Where did you td the Petrol, I have booked my Petrol Linea on 7th of Jan, I will be speaking to my dealer tommorow for the TD, hence just wanted to know where you got the TD and did you get to touchbase on any accessories list from the dealer.

Regards,
Ranganathan
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:52   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
In India, resale value depends on the brand image, and nothing to do with reliability of the cars.
But doesnt reliability and quality record contribute to the brand image?
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:58   #364
Senior - BHPian

The City has the better engine, the Linea has the better looking body. One positive about the Linea is that it has a good old-fashioned cd-player unlike the City(i-pod connectivity?.), which is a plus for folks like me who are not into gimmickry.I have to choose neither because of the above. I'll stay with my SX4.
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:44   #365
BHPian

Arrow Nice comparo

Nice review. Agreed on most points accept the safety ratings for Linea. The build quality itself should count for about .75 I suppose
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:30   #366
psn
BHPian

Default Great review

Exactly what I thought when I did a back to back test drive of both the cars....and people I booked myself a brand new Honda City-red colored-SMT model...my first car..fell for the way it drives....
Old 4th February 2009, 09:51   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The City has the better engine, the Linea has the better looking body. One positive about the Linea is that it has a good old-fashioned cd-player unlike the City(i-pod connectivity?.), which is a plus for folks like me who are not into gimmickry.I have to choose neither because of the above. I'll stay with my SX4.

Dear Nick,

Since you have a SX4...Is it really all that good people and MS tells you that it is??
Will you recommend me to go for the SX4 even when I am comparing the ANHC and the Linea with it?
In short.. Doe sit still top your choices amongst the 3...If you were to buy a Car again??
Old 4th February 2009, 10:04   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
In India, resale value depends on the brand image, and nothing to do with reliability of the cars.
And how exactly do you think brand image (good or bad) takes shape ? Is it just like that out of thin air OR based on the assessment of consumers about a certain brand ?

And since you say that reliability of a car has nothing to do with resale value, could you please let us know one such example where an unreliable car has segment-leading resale value ?

BTW, 'reliable' could have other connotations when spoken in connection with cars. A car could by itself be reliable, but what about the avenues available for getting it serviced OR changing spares that wear out OR for doing accident repairs ? These would require a 'reliable' after-sales service network on which the consumer can rely on. Lack of such a system can render a car unreliable, like in the case of Fiat cars in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Fiat makes built to last, reliable cars,
In this day & age, where almost all makes of cars are built to last & are bullet-proof reliable (ignoring the odd Tata), that does not sound like a great USP to me. Infact, the Japanese cars would give the European cars a run for their money when it comes to reliability.

While it might be nice to stand back once in a while and admire the 'thud' that the doors of your 'tank' make (thereby giving you some kind of reassurance about the car's build), without a proper support system in place by the manufacturer, one would end up banging the doors only out of sheer frustration. So while it is imperative to build reliable cars, the value of good A.S.S cannot be discounted.
Old 4th February 2009, 10:15   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While it might be nice to stand back once in a while and admire the 'thud' that the doors of your 'tank' make (thereby giving you some kind of reassurance about the car's build), without a proper support system in place by the manufacturer, one would end up banging the doors only out of sheer frustration. So while it is imperative to build reliable cars, the value of good A.S.S cannot be discounted.
Well said Man! That's what is putting doubt in many skeptical buyers including myself!
Old 4th February 2009, 15:11   #370
BHPian

Default Compare machines and not offerings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Lastly coming to the point of Safety. The point I want to make here is Honda could have come up without Airbags and ABS in E model and lowered the entry price of the car by 50k. But they didnt give user an option to choose safety versus low initial cost. This might result in loss of sale but they have set the precedence imo that needs to be appreciated.
You are talking of marketing/offering strategy here and not really comparing the cars - the machines. And thus it's easy to see you are biased towards City. In fact, I would give more points to Fiat simply because they give more options to their buyers.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:15   #371
BHPian

Talking Great Report but flawed

IMO we should all treat the report with respect, aseem has done a great job and its his way of looking at both the cars. Its looking rather silly with some members badgering either of the 2 brands.

Both are great cars, with some really exiciting features and options. But I do like the fact that we do not have SX4, Fiesta and Verna in this thread. That would have been a circus.

But, IMO, this report is flawed for the simple fact that you cant compare a Fiat Diesel and Linea Petrol, I have seen some posts by other members saying the same. We should have a comparison between a Linea petrol Emotion+PK and a ANHC S MT. Lets wait for some time and I am sure someone will do it.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:49   #372
Senior - BHPian

Update: Went with wife yesterday to take TD of both cars as she is the final decision maker. Took TD in Honda City automatic first. She liked the acceleration and to my surprise the suspension. Was not happy with the interiors.
Went to Fiat, she was bowled out by the external looks. However once inside she didnt like the dash (oldish) in her opinion. Like most females she absolutely hated the diesel clatter and lack of accerlation (she was changing gears too quickly like petrol).
I too took turns driving Linea and again found the dead pedal awkward. A thing to notice was that the dashboard cabinet/drawer (whatever its called) had come loose on the TD vehicle and it wasnt closing.
At the end of the day she came out thinking Honda is better. However my personal experience was that Fiat guys wanted to sell their car and were very courteous. Honda's guys though thoroughly proffesional, didnt show as much interest to make the sale.
Petrol vesion would be available next week for TD, planning to take wife for test driving that as well.
Old 4th February 2009, 19:13   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I don't agree to that.

Fiat makes built to last, reliable cars, but it was their brand image in India so far which affected the Resale value of their cars.

I hope with the launch of stunning cars like Linea, G Punto etc and improved After-sales, the brand image of Fiat will attain a high standing.
A friend of mine has booked ANHC (he simply loves the Honda Badge!). I tried my best to make him at least consider test driving the Linea. At the end of half an hour of cajoling, his simple question to me was - what about resale after 3 years (when he plans to change his car).
I simply had no answer to that!
Old 4th February 2009, 19:53   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
A friend of mine has booked ANHC (he simply loves the Honda Badge!). I tried my best to make him at least consider test driving the Linea. At the end of half an hour of cajoling, his simple question to me was - what about resale after 3 years (when he plans to change his car).
I simply had no answer to that!
Makes sense. If resale is one of his top priorities, he better stay away from any Fiat car (Linea or otherwise).

Fiat *may* have good resale value 3 years later (if GP/Linea do well in market), but Honda *will* have good resale value (unless they screw up big time in 3 years).
Old 4th February 2009, 22:14   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post

Fiat *may* have good resale value 3 years later (if GP/Linea do well in market), but Honda *will* have good resale value (unless they screw up big time in 3 years).
It takes a long time building or destroying a brand image and it will be hard to reverse the trend either way by Fiat or Honda. Therefore, based on past record, Honda is the best bet if you are not a 'Astrologer'.
Closed Thread