Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 22:34   #376
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
better. However my personal experience was that Fiat guys wanted to sell their car and were very courteous. Honda's guys though thoroughly proffesional, didnt show as much interest to make the sale.
Hehe, You should have seen the Honda dealers back in 2002-2003 or before :-) They even questioned why you wanted to buy an OHC ? You had to land up at the dealership if you wanted a test drive. If you mentioned discount, they would hint you look at other car manufacturers - this is Honda!! Call them up multiple times for any info, TD fix etc, and they would never call you back not even when you are definitely looking to buy the car. All this played a part in my not buying an OHC in 2003 when it was the car I coveted since its launch.

Gladly, things are much different now - Honda dealer snobbery remains but is no where in the same league as those days! Cheers to competition.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 4th February 2009 at 22:36.
lancer_rit is offline  
Old 4th February 2009, 23:27   #377
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Hehe, You should have seen the Honda dealers back in 2002-2003 or before :-) They even questioned why you wanted to buy an OHC ? You had to land up at the dealership if you wanted a test drive. If you mentioned discount, they would hint you look at other car manufacturers - this is Honda!! Call them up multiple times for any info, TD fix etc, and they would never call you back not even when you are definitely looking to buy the car. All this played a part in my not buying an OHC in 2003 when it was the car I coveted since its launch.

Gladly, things are much different now - Honda dealer snobbery remains but is no where in the same league as those days! Cheers to competition.
Really! Then things have definitely changed a lot! I recently (last dec) had a test drive of the ANHC (at Ace Honda, Noida). Since then I've been having at least one call from the Honda sales rep every week regarding my decision to buy the car. I must say, although my first Honda experience, it was quite good. The sales staff was quite good, and they even took my blatant criticism of the car with lot of poise.(mainly the grouse that feeling of NHC's luxury being not there and no auto aircon/alloys in a 9 lakh rupee car) I liked the car though and will definitely recommend it (it has a beautiful engine - I drove the AT one and instantly fall in love with it - simply the best sub-10 lakh car for our hideously congested cities!)

Or maybe 'good Honda dealers' is just the meltdown effect!! Although as per ACI ANHC is still selling like hot cakes.
joslicx is offline  
Old 4th February 2009, 23:57   #378
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Really! Then things have definitely changed a lot! I recently (last dec) had a test drive of the ANHC (at Ace Honda, Noida). Since then I've been having at least one call from the Honda sales rep every week regarding my decision to buy the car. I must say, although my first Honda experience, it was quite good. The sales staff was quite good, and they even took my blatant criticism of the car with lot of poise.(mainly the grouse that feeling of NHC's luxury being not there and no auto aircon/alloys in a 9 lakh rupee car) I liked the car though and will definitely recommend it (it has a beautiful engine - I drove the AT one and instantly fall in love with it - simply the best sub-10 lakh car for our hideously congested cities!)

Or maybe 'good Honda dealers' is just the meltdown effect!! Although as per ACI ANHC is still selling like hot cakes.
Times are different now :-) In those days, 60+% of all OHCs were sold in NCR. In Apr 2003, Prime Honda was offering a '3-4k' discount on the OHC which was like a big deal for Honda cars. The cars were always modern and capable, dealer attitude an altogether different story (and BTW, I mainly interacted with the best and biggest Honda dealer in NCR).
lancer_rit is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 14:26   #379
BHPian
 
raj.barcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 678
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Brilliant job Mr. Aseem. to the effort. I did take a test drive of Linea petrol and diesel today, felt that petrol version is surely way better to drive that it diesel sibling, which prompts us to ask if there was a add on for comparison between both city and Linea petrol version. Thanks a lot and again it was an amazing job done
raj.barcode is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 14:37   #380
BHPian
 
downsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 0.1933333, 32.58333
Posts: 357
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Brilliant job Mr. Aseem. to the effort. I did take a test drive of Linea petrol and diesel today, felt that petrol version is surely way better to drive that it diesel sibling, which prompts us to ask if there was a add on for comparison between both city and Linea petrol version. Thanks a lot and again it was an amazing job done
Wow thats reassuring to see another member writing about the Linea petrol being better. I have booked my Linea petrol without doing a TD.... If I do get a Linea petrol soon, I can compare both cars for you as my opposite door neighbour, has purchased a ANHC S MT.
downsouth is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 15:08   #381
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

IMO after reading the entire thread all over again, it just goes to say that personal attacks or getting offended was also one of the outcomes of the entire exercise. All a person should buy is what suits him, his heart, his mind and not buy based on others' personal opinions. Respecting views of each other & giving more honest feedback is the order of the day & will infact help team bhp members. Some like looks, some like resale value, some like solidity, some like refinement, some like peace of mind, some prefer reliable A-S-S, some prefer build quality, some prefer fit and finish. To each his own. Both the ANHC & The Linea have a long list of advantages & disadvantages. No car ever made is perfect. People here are mature enough to make decisions. Peace to ye all.
anilkalvani is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 16:03   #382
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Brilliant job Mr. Aseem. to the effort. I did take a test drive of Linea petrol and diesel today, felt that petrol version is surely way better to drive that it diesel sibling, which prompts us to ask if there was a add on for comparison between both city and Linea petrol version. Thanks a lot and again it was an amazing job done
Thanks buddy, good to see the hostility this thread had sparked die down. I think the more the hype around Linea and City dies down, the more objective future reports/comparisons would become. Unfortunately, both cars leave a lot to be desired, and I feel at their price close to 8-8.5 lakhs (Linea Diesel E+ and City S), Civic E at 9.9 lakhs all of a sudden becomes tempting. Just my 2 cents, though I know that every lakh matters, its just that both the cars are far from a complete package!
aseem is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 16:53   #383
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Civic E at 9.9 lakhs all of a sudden becomes tempting. Just my 2 cents, though I know that every lakh matters, its just that both the cars are far from a complete package!
I have never been a Civic fan, but I think your statement about the two cars being far from a complete package makes sense.

I have not seen the ANHC in such a close quarter as I saw the Linea, but I should mention that neither I nor my wife uttered a "wow" after we saw the interiors of the Linea. There are no ergonomic issues, nor did I find any space issues (I am 5'6" tall, so is my wife). Everything is where it is supposed to be, but still, there is something missing. I do not know how to quantify this, but we were just not smitten by the interiors. Coming from a Palio owner, I should not say this, but still ...

On the other hand, we were just smitten by the 500's interiors. The quality of materials used in that car looked and felt great. I understand that it is twice as costly as Linea, but only because you need to pay the Govt of India that much more. If we do not account for the customs duties, then both 500 and Linea would technically cost the same. But, I felt there was a huge difference in the look and feel and quality of interiors between these two cars.

Regarding ANHC, I am not too much of a fan of its exterior design. I feel it is too brash for my taste. I prefer the Linea's smooth lines instead.
deepakhon is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 17:02   #384
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Unfortunately, both cars leave a lot to be desired, and I feel at their price close to 8-8.5 lakhs (Linea Diesel E+ and City S)
Well aseem, though we had our differences, this is something i can 100% agree with. I really wish Honda had some more features and similar interiors of NHC, and i wish the Linea had better GC,TR and a 1.6 MJD. I am sure both manufacturers may handle this in their version 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Civic E at 9.9 lakhs all of a sudden becomes tempting. Just my 2 cents, though I know that every lakh matters, its just that both the cars are far from a complete package!
+1. Couldnt help the thinking the same after I TD'ed Civic & City. Civic E is not what i would call a complete package either - but the ride & engine more than makes up for that 2L difference.
SkyWalker is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 17:04   #385
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Civic E at 9.9 lakhs all of a sudden becomes tempting. Just my 2 cents, though I know that every lakh matters, its just that both the cars are far from a complete package!
And the Civic E is a complete package? Well, TEHO.............
suman is offline  
Old 6th February 2009, 11:09   #386
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 774
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I took a test drive of honda city yesterday , from peninsular honda . It was a top end version . Earlier i got a chance to travel in a lineas' rear seat. So first preferred to sit in citys' rear seat . It is ok , but not as comfortable as lineas , more upright and lacks support for posterior thigh when compared to linea . You wont feel comfortable as in linea , neither you feel secured . But the difference is not wide , may be a difference of 15% . Linea while travelling in over 100-110 kms feel quite safe , the guy who drove the car was an young guy and he did some daredevil overtaking at 100-110 kms. I was not scared as feel secured in lineas' rear seats.

And it is easy to enter into linea than city , applicable to both rear and front seats. Difference is more felt at rear seats.

Front seats of linea is a disaster , ( i sat in front seats before few days, on a display model) fiat has really ruined it . It is more worse than some has reported here . Seats itself is not comfortable due to its design . Additionally there is absolutely no posterior thigh support for the driver . It is severe when you adjust the height . The rise in height is not uniform , the front end doest not rise at all , it further droops down when height increases .Nobody will be able to drive it with posterior thigh on air for long , and if we dont rise the height it is difficult as the default height is too low . Citys front seats are very good as they hold you tight and firm with excellent thigh support and useful height adjustment . Lumbar support is also bad in linea and good in city .

While mentioning ride quality , there is an advantage for linea . It absorbs bad roads better , city is little firm and hard . But both are almost equal .

Interiors are fine in both , plastic quality in city is slightly poor . But when i hit citys' dashboard with my fist it produced less sound than lineas' dashboard . And sound proofing is an area city scores over linea . You wont hear the suspension sounds as in linea . There was slight squeaking from lineas rear left side which was audible to me , and city also produced such a squeaking from the same area .

And coming to handling city is ok and there is no element of excitement . It is ok , not very numb . No bodyroll felt , firm ride and not shaky at all . The fun to drive factor is not there , but you feel confident to drive at high speeds . This lack of fun is there even when compared to my 'adventure' .

Coming to its performance ,there is nothing as hyped by the media and t-bhpians . You cant feel the power,torque nor anything from the engine . Pick-up is also not felt like in my adventure , so no point in taking 1.3 multijet(palio,swift) here . Its ok but not a great engine as far as its performance is concerned . The person who came from honda told honda engine is smooth so you cant feel power as in fiat engines .

Horns in city are of no use , a bikes ' horn in these days are much better than citys' horns. It is a pity that honda people compel us to go for aftermarket fitment just after purchase .

Brakes of honda city are also just ok . It may be due to skinny tyres .

Best part is that of the mileage if the digital display is accurate . When i started my TD it was showing 15.3 but by the time TD was over it was displaying 19.2 , most of the TD was on high way though . I never took more than 100 kms and was pretty sedate in my driving .

Will write more after taking a proper TD of fiat linea .
swathyd is offline  
Old 6th February 2009, 12:22   #387
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 628
Thanked: 132 Times
Default

Quote:
Front seats of linea is a disaster , ( i sat in front seats before few days, on a display model) fiat has really ruined it . It is more worse than some has reported here . Seats itself is not comfortable due to its design . Additionally there is absolutely no posterior thigh support for the driver . It is severe when you adjust the height . The rise in height is not uniform , the front end doest not rise at all , it further droops down when height increases .Nobody will be able to drive it with posterior thigh on air for long , and if we dont rise the height it is difficult as the default height is too low . Citys front seats are very good as they hold you tight and firm with excellent thigh support and useful height adjustment . Lumbar support is also bad in linea and good in city
I agree with you. I am 6'2" and I found the seats of my Palio better than that of Linea. I found the seats pretty flat with no underthight support. It is my opinion too that they would not be very comfortable on long drives (my leg started paining in the 5 kms TD which I took)

I haven't checked the G3 city's seats so can't compare but my friends G2 city has very nice seats.
Palio_2005 is offline  
Old 6th February 2009, 12:58   #388
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,151
Thanked: 2,450 Times
Default Petrol to Petrol is a better comparision

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
IMO we should all treat the report with respect, aseem has done a great job and its his way of looking at both the cars. Its looking rather silly with some members badgering either of the 2 brands.

But, IMO, this report is flawed for the simple fact that you cant compare a Fiat Diesel and Linea Petrol, I have seen some posts by other members saying the same. We should have a comparison between a Linea petrol Emotion+PK and a ANHC S MT. Lets wait for some time and I am sure someone will do it.
Agree totally. The Petrol Linea (Top model - emotion + PK) must be compared with the Petrol ANHC (Sadly the base manual model) as these are the closer priced and specked cars. Even the Fiesta Sport version can be added in.

Diesel Linea version should be compated with Feista, Verna and Optra Diesels.

All the cars mentioned are very nice but not complete in all aspects, if only the car manufacturers had put in that extra 10% to make them almost perfect.
ACM is offline  
Old 6th February 2009, 13:31   #389
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Agree totally. The Petrol Linea (Top model - emotion + PK) must be compared with the Petrol ANHC (Sadly the base manual model) as these are the closer priced and specked cars. Even the Fiesta Sport version can be added in.

Diesel Linea version should be compated with Feista, Verna and Optra Diesels.

All the cars mentioned are very nice but not complete in all aspects, if only the car manufacturers had put in that extra 10% to make them almost perfect.
Well Aseem's argument of basing his comparison on the fact that PRICE point is the same is also equally valid.

When I go out to buy a car I first decide my budget and then look for the best in that budget. If I have 9 lakhs I can consider both Petrol ANHC and Diesel Linea. So from that perspective Aseem's arguments make total sense. So price IMO should be the criteria (and not engine or trims etc).

Last edited by joslicx : 6th February 2009 at 13:33.
joslicx is offline  
Old 6th February 2009, 14:04   #390
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newest capital
Posts: 382
Thanked: 828 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Front seats of linea is a disaster , ( i sat in front seats before few days, on a display model) fiat has really ruined it . It is more worse than some has reported here . Seats itself is not comfortable due to its design . Additionally there is absolutely no posterior thigh support for the driver . It is severe when you adjust the height . The rise in height is not uniform , the front end doest not rise at all , it further droops down when height increases .Nobody will be able to drive it with posterior thigh on air for long , and if we dont rise the height it is difficult as the default height is too low . Citys front seats are very good as they hold you tight and firm with excellent thigh support and useful height adjustment . Lumbar support is also bad in linea and good in city .
I compared the front seats of the base Active with Dynamic`s seats which are so comfortable in Active because of the lack of height adjustment mechanism.It grips your lower and upper back as well as sufficient under thigh support.This was applicable for both the front seats.If someone can check out the Active model and confirm my views...
damodar is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza a4anurag Sedans 214 26th November 2017 00:15
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville mobike008 Superbikes & Imports 334 15th May 2015 10:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks