Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 21:12   #406
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default In a FIX !

I'm really in a big fix, with the GP not in sight. I have decided to go for either Linea or ANHC, but my decision swings like a pendulum every couple of hours.
I like the energetic and nimble ANHC, but am also awed by the looks, lines, FE and VFM factor of Linea. Honestly i'm scared about the service support TATA-FIAT would offer in the long run.
Have never been so indecisive. Can't make up my mind so I thought my friends at TEAM-BHP would show me some guiding light (or lantern)..
luky_13 is offline  
Old 17th February 2009, 21:18   #407
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
I'm really in a big fix, with the GP not in sight. I have decided to go for either Linea or ANHC, but my decision swings like a pendulum every couple of hours.
I like the energetic and nimble ANHC, but am also awed by the looks, lines, FE and VFM factor of Linea. Honestly i'm scared about the service support TATA-FIAT would offer in the long run.
Have never been so indecisive. Can't make up my mind so I thought my friends at TEAM-BHP would show me some guiding light (or lantern)..
Finally boils down to do you want to listen to your head or your heart!

To be very frank, I would not buy the Honda City just because of the way it looks and I would buy the Linea just because of the way it looks.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 17th February 2009, 23:25   #408
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
I'm really in a big fix, with the GP not in sight. I have decided to go for either Linea or ANHC, but my decision swings like a pendulum every couple of hours.
I like the energetic and nimble ANHC, but am also awed by the looks, lines, FE and VFM factor of Linea. Honestly i'm scared about the service support TATA-FIAT would offer in the long run.
Have never been so indecisive. Can't make up my mind so I thought my friends at TEAM-BHP would show me some guiding light (or lantern)..
The Linea is a much better looking car. It will weather the times better than the Japanese import.

Fiat owners swear by their cars even after years of ownership. The ANHC is current and might fade quickly. The Fiat is a long legged runner for long distances, the ANHC is a sprinter.

You will survive the support. Put the difference in price away and use it to tip the service chaps. That money will last you forever.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 17th February 2009 at 23:26.
Ravveendrra is offline  
Old 17th February 2009, 23:39   #409
psn
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 74
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-NewCar View Post
Thanks. Guna

I forgot to mention the foll:
1. Driver height adjustment. ( I think its imp, as I felt it was a good position when i raised the deat in my short TD)
2. Keyless Entry with answer back (Can this be retro fitted ??)
3. Center console high armrest (Can this be retro fitted ??)
4. Seat back pocket (passenger side) (Will put seat covers, which will have them)
5. Rear center armrest with cup holder (Not imp as I will be driving..No Driver)
6. Chrome plated hand Brake Knob ( is this imp???)
7. Silver Finish Steering panel (is this imp???)
I just bought SMT but,I think it makes a lot of sense to go for EMT unless, you are like me..the difference in interiors(i.e seat fabric color) is hardly noticable. The big thing missing visually is the music system and silver garnish on steering wheel. I thought it made the dashboard look extremely dark. But if you want to go by the brains buy EMT. save 50000. Get a great music system and security system. and you will still save a lot of money. Black door handles and side view mirrors I think are far more practical in India. I cared a lot about looks also therefore,bought SMT. Else save 50000.
psn is offline  
Old 17th February 2009, 23:51   #410
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jamshedpur
Posts: 205
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Simply go for the linea as it is much better than the anhc
ahuja365 is offline  
Old 17th February 2009, 23:53   #411
psn
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 74
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Dear Lucky,
Went through the same dilema a few days ago and finally bought myself a Honda City. Here are my thoughts and initial ownership experience. I though that it was overall a better car to drive and frankly, I have had people smoking around my car just to see the interiors of the car. You will love the way it drives and I also spoke to a lot of Honda owners and lots of people are satisfied. To quote one of them,"Spending the extra money will always payback with a Honda".One of the car magazines also carried an article how Honda holds its second hand value better than any other car. The car is comfortable over long distances. I drive a lot as my job requires me to and I have not had a problem with driving it through out the day. The music system is a gem and will satisfy the toughest of critics.
The risk\reward is better in Honda as you really dont know much about FIATs after sales service.
FYI-If you do decide to buy Honda, its a bare car and you will have to spend a little extra to make it complete, which you may not have to in Fiat like mud flaps, side protectors. Accessories from Honda are very expensive and can increase your budget by a few %.
psn is offline  
Old 18th February 2009, 07:30   #412
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Can the resale value of ANHC be equated against the Fuel Savings LINEA (DIESEL) offers over a 5 year period at an average of 2000 KM/Month. LINEA offers an advantage of about 1.8~2 lacs at the end of the 5 yr period (taking the FE of ANHC @ 13, and that of LINEA @ 16). At the same time i feel ANHC is much more nimble, LINEA is a big car and will add more woes to city driving and parking. How much do you anticipate the resale of each of these cars after 5 years?

Just another school of thought !
luky_13 is offline  
Old 18th February 2009, 09:05   #413
BHPian
 
hotpursuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 95
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

You have done your home work enough well Lucky. Though I personally like Fiat, frankly there is hardly anything between the two. If Honda is more powerful than the Linea, then Linea has the edge in the Looks. If the *** and resale value of Honda is way better than Linea, then the Linea has more gadgets and more VFM. So finally everything boils down to what kinda driving style you have. If you are that aggressive type, who wants to get that adrenaline rush (can't say if u get that in ANHC) every time you step on the throttle then go for the Honda, else go for the Linea. I would suggest go by your heart and then don't think about it after that. Both are magnificent products.
hotpursuit is offline  
Old 18th February 2009, 09:20   #414
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Guragaon
Posts: 173
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I do not own a Honda so can't commenst on its service however my expereince with Tata has been quite good. Quality of their service centers vary a lot however I have been lucky with A1 Motors in Delhi . They are pretty consistent in their service and do follow up once I sent the car for some other problem which has cropped up not because of car they repaired it promptly foc . Dhingra in Gurgaon was a disaster and they should be banned from servicing cars or even cycles for that matters . One big advantage I see with Linea as this car shares a lot of its parts with Indica Vista , upcoming Indigo and yes Swift (for engine) also there should be a good backup outside the ASP's also .
amit27 is offline  
Old 18th February 2009, 10:08   #415
BHPian
 
downsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 0.1933333, 32.58333
Posts: 357
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Dear Lucky,
Went through the same dilema a few days ago and finally bought myself a Honda City. Here are my thoughts and initial ownership experience. I though that it was overall a better car to drive and frankly, I have had people smoking around my car just to see the interiors of the car. You will love the way it drives and I also spoke to a lot of Honda owners and lots of people are satisfied. To quote one of them,"Spending the extra money will always payback with a Honda".One of the car magazines also carried an article how Honda holds its second hand value better than any other car. The car is comfortable over long distances. I drive a lot as my job requires me to and I have not had a problem with driving it through out the day. The music system is a gem and will satisfy the toughest of critics.
The risk\reward is better in Honda as you really dont know much about FIATs after sales service.
FYI-If you do decide to buy Honda, its a bare car and you will have to spend a little extra to make it complete, which you may not have to in Fiat like mud flaps, side protectors. Accessories from Honda are very expensive and can increase your budget by a few %.
Hi PSN

Thats one of the very honest posts I have seen on this thread. You have put everything right in so many few sentences. 2 of my neighbours in the apartment block own honda's, a 2008 NHC and a ANHC. IMO there is a dip in the quality in ANHC, thats a huge hit for honda. I hope Honda can keep up the premium brand image for a some more time.

But guess what people always smoke around any new sedan, atleast when not many are on the roads.
downsouth is offline  
Old 18th February 2009, 10:11   #416
BHPian
 
nehamit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 121
Thanked: Once
Default Tata-fiat *** Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
I do not own a Honda so can't commenst on its service however my expereince with Tata has been quite good. Quality of their service centers vary a lot however I have been lucky with A1 Motors in Delhi . They are pretty consistent in their service and do follow up once I sent the car for some other problem which has cropped up not because of car they repaired it promptly foc . Dhingra in Gurgaon was a disaster and they should be banned from servicing cars or even cycles for that matters . One big advantage I see with Linea as this car shares a lot of its parts with Indica Vista , upcoming Indigo and yes Swift (for engine) also there should be a good backup outside the ASP's also .
I fully agree with this. I own TATA cars since 2000. First it was Indica and now Indigo LX (March 2005). I am fully satisfied with the *** here in Ahmedabad. There is definitely a difference is noticeable amongst the three dealers in Ahmedabad, but overall experience is really good.
For Linea, they have 2 sales dealers but only one sales & service dealer (Universal Aspi), reason being stringent *** standards FIAL has laid down.
Linea has total 8 ECUs and the diagnostic kit itself is about 4.5 lakhs plus, which is mandatory for any service dealer of Linea. One can ask the dealer about their performance by CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index), given by the TATA based on internal audit.
Looking to all these facts, I do not find any issue of *** at all. Well, resale value, time will only prove what it will be!
nehamit is offline  
Old 18th February 2009, 10:56   #417
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13
I like the energetic and nimble ANHC, but am also awed by the looks, lines, FE and VFM factor of Linea. Honestly i'm scared about the service support TATA-FIAT would offer in the long run. Can't make up my mind
It sure is a tough decision. If A.S.S. & resale value are not very high up on your list, you could go for the Linea. Also would help make your decision easy if you have had a Fiat earlier because then you know what to expect. But since you are hesitating, I can see that you are a first-time Fiat buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
The Linea is a much better looking car. It will weather the times better than the Japanese import.
While I like the Linea's looks more than the ANHC's, looks are subjective. And only time will tell which car will weather the times better. An OHC (Japanese import as you say) that has been around for more than 10 years is still a dream to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
Fiat owners swear by their cars even after years of ownership.
Almost all car owners swear by their cars - not a Fiat prerogative. Unless the ownership experience has been real bad, in which case, irrespective of whether they are Fiat owners or otherwise, they will swear at the manufacturer & car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
The ANHC is current and might fade quickly. The Fiat is a long legged runner for long distances, the ANHC is a sprinter.
Huh ? What are you trying to suggest here ? One car is current and so might fade faster!! And the ANHC is only good for short distance drives ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13
taking the FE of ANHC @ 13, and that of LINEA @ 16).
Wrong inputs will lead to wrong outputs. Just because the NHC gave 13kmpl city FE, it does not mean any and all subsequent versions have to give the same FE. There is a sea of difference between both versions in terms of power and expecting 13kmpl from ANHC will remain just that - an expectation.

An example is the owner report of an ANHC owner from your city (Blore) who started off saying that he is expecting 13kmpl, then after few hundred kms it goes down to 12, then around 11kmpl.

Similarly for Linea, wait for actual user report without going by what sales guys say or based on rumours.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th February 2009 at 11:03.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 18th February 2009, 11:48   #418
ashwinpak
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I fail to understand how the prime concern while selecting a car to buy should be the resale price that it would fetch when you sell it after 4 years. Wouldn't you worry more about that four years that you spend with the car? Shouldn't you be thinking more about how good the car would be to drive around? Wouldn't you rather buy a car that looks good, drives good, will keep you safe and give good economy, rather than give you good resale value after 4 years?

Another reason why you should not give too much importance to A.S.S. with a Linea is that its service interval is 15000kms, while the City has to be serviced every 5000kms. I hate the day I am deprived of my car when I have to send it for service. I'd rather have that day come once every year than once in 4 months.
 
Old 18th February 2009, 11:57   #419
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 78
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Can the resale value of ANHC be equated against the Fuel Savings LINEA (DIESEL) offers over a 5 year period at an average of 2000 KM/Month. LINEA offers an advantage of about 1.8~2 lacs at the end of the 5 yr period (taking the FE of ANHC @ 13, and that of LINEA @ 16). At the same time i feel ANHC is much more nimble, LINEA is a big car and will add more woes to city driving and parking. How much do you anticipate the resale of each of these cars after 5 years?

Just another school of thought !
Guess your assumptions regarding FE are on the conservative side. And I would think that your logic of Diesel savings is approx equal to diff in resale value is pretty sound.

But numbers only go that far in enabling a decision. Listen to what your heart says; take your family members for a drive and listen to what they say; and once you make your decision stop re-verifying the same.

FYI: Turning radius of ANC is 5.3 and Linea is 5.5. Request members to comment on whether this is a material difference as far as city drivability is concerned.
swami is offline  
Old 18th February 2009, 13:06   #420
BHPian
 
hotpursuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 95
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
An example is the owner report of an ANHC owner from your city (Blore) who started off saying that he is expecting 13kmpl, then after few hundred kms it goes down to 12, then around 11kmpl.

Similarly for Linea, wait for actual user report without going by what sales guys say or based on rumours.
The FE of a vehicle again depends on the driving style. But again, I don't the FE for Honda with that 118BHp iVtec will give a good mileage compared to the multijet of Linea.
hotpursuit is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza a4anurag Sedans 214 26th November 2017 00:15
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville mobike008 Superbikes & Imports 334 15th May 2015 10:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks