Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18th February 2009, 13:48   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
I fail to understand how the prime concern while selecting a car to buy should be the resale price that it would fetch when you sell it after 4 years. Wouldn't you worry more about that four years that you spend with the car? Shouldn't you be thinking more about how good the car would be to drive around? Wouldn't you rather buy a car that looks good, drives good, will keep you safe and give good economy, rather than give you good resale value after 4 years?
I think the point here is, you can use 'resale' value as a tie breaker and not necessarily a primary factor driving your decision.
I personally have bought cars which had potentially bad resale value simply because I had liked those cars but when it comes to the point of selling it does pinch very badly. This is my personal experience and now I have become more sensitive to this aspect. Of course it also depends on the attitude one has towards money and how deep the pockets are IMHO.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:55   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak
I fail to understand how the prime concern while selecting a car to buy should be the resale price that it would fetch when you sell it after 4 years.
It's very simple actually. Different people have different needs. Some like to keep changing their cars every few years and for them, good resale value ensures minimal loss due to depreciation. Others like FE or handling or power or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak
Another reason why you should not give too much importance to A.S.S. with a Linea is that its service interval is 15000kms, while the City has to be serviced every 5000kms.
Is it really a 15000 km service interval for Linea. If true, the 15K km interval sounds good to me - I also don't like going to service station.

Even with most cars available today having 10000km service interval, people here suggest doing a brief checkup or minor service midway. Even MASS suggests you drop in every 5K kms, to which my answer is No, Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpursuit
But again, I don't the FE for Honda with that 118BHp iVtec will give a good mileage compared to the multijet of Linea.
I was not comparing ANHC and Linea mileage. What's the point anyway when one is a low-powered diesel and another is a rocket-petrol ? My point was that 13kmpl FE for ANHC in B'lore is almost impossible.
Old 18th February 2009, 14:12   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I was not comparing ANHC and Linea mileage. What's the point anyway when one is a low-powered diesel and another is a rocket-petrol ? My point was that 13kmpl FE for ANHC in B'lore is almost impossible.
Yeah I agree. Sorry I misunderstood your post.
13 km/lt from tht power house is hilarious, besides its asking too much from that motor.
Old 18th February 2009, 14:35   #424
BHPian

Default Maintenance-Linea-City-SX4-Verna-Fiesta-Aveo

The first step to buying a car is comparing features & prices. However the long-term costs like spare parts also need to be considered and compared across the models short-listed.

Here is an attachment (from Fiat dealer) showing parts prices that should give idea about long-term ownership costs.
courtesy nimesh@carwale
Attached Thumbnails
Linea vs City Comparison Report-parts_list.jpg  

Old 18th February 2009, 15:12   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Is it really a 15000 km service interval for Linea. If true, the 15K km interval sounds good to me - I also don't like going to service station.
Yes, 15 K is the service interval. Actually engine is made to be serviced at 30K, I think in Europe the service interval for this engine is 30K km. But according to Indian condition they have kept it at 15K. according to Fiat 1.3 multijet engine is made to run for 2.5 lakh km without maintanance .
Old 18th February 2009, 15:24   #426
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the info rajen. I'm surprised to see the prices of Linea lower than SX4. If we had some docs from some Maruti dealer. If this is true, then it is really good news. I remember parts for my palio diesel used to be so damn expensive and difficult to get.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:57   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajen83 View Post
The first step to buying a car is comparing features & prices. However the long-term costs like spare parts also need to be considered and compared across the models short-listed.

Here is an attachment (from Fiat dealer) showing parts prices that should give idea about long-term ownership costs.
courtesy nimesh@carwale
Damn, rajen that indeed was a big win for Linea. Whats surprising is how close the costing of the parts are with SX4. Now I am waiting for someone to respond to high costs of ANHC parts. Unless they are of very high quality or high durability, this still does not validate for brand value. No offence for the ANHC supporters.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:03   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's very simple actually. Different people have different needs. Some like to keep changing their cars every few years and for them, good resale value ensures minimal loss due to depreciation. Others like FE or handling or power or whatever.
I dont know of many people.. infact none who change their C+ segment cars every 3-4 years, no matter what mileage they do. Besides a new C+ segment car drives and feels new even after 3-4 year.
Goes without saying that it depends on maintenance as well but if regularly maintained these cars last for years without any serious problems.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:06   #429
BHPian

Default ANHC accesories

Not only that, you should look at ANHC accesories list and be shocked with those prices

Foglamps - 20k
Door side protectors - 6k
Alloys - 40k
Its daylight robbery
All these are available in Linea for free ... plus Petrol Linea is cheaper by 1.2 Lacs.

I will upload the full list tonight.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:46   #430
BANNED

Thats nothing new - GM is doing that thing for years - that how cheap Aveo is to maintain. But I ask, who is buying Aveo?

Also since its from Fiat/GM dealer, do you expect them to show that their car maintenance is expensive? BTW, how accurate are the prices for other cars? Are they underestimating theirs and overestimating others?

Am sure if Maruti or Ford prepare such a comparison, their cars will be cheaper than Linea. I urge people to not to fall for such marketing gimmicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajen83 View Post
Old 18th February 2009, 17:03   #431
BHPian

Default Linea wins hands down (atleast for me)

I think we should stop comparing ANHC and Linea. I have seen both the cars and was going to buy one of them. After checking all details I settled for the Linea. And now that I am using Linea I am very much happy with its all its aspects, be it FE, ride quality, interior space and quality of the overall built of the car. ANHC nowhere comes close to Linea.
I agree that the outright performance is not that great and initially you feel the pickup is slow, but now that my car has clocked 1000 kms I dont even feel its under powered. And after crossing the 2000 rpm mark it leaves almost anything on the road behind. Have touched 120 kmph twice and felt that there was lot of juice left that I could have utilized to take the car to 150 kmph. And let me tell you, the car was very very stable at 120 kmph. I had test driven the ANHC and tried a normal curve and I felt that this car will turn turtle. I took the car directly to the dealer, handed him the keys, thanked him for the test drive and RAN AWAY FROM THERE.
And I also had an experience to visit the service center of Tata in Mumbai. I had a broken ORVM of the left hand side. I called up the workshop and to my surprise the ORVM was readily available. When I asked for the appointment I was told that it was not required. I was told that I could get my vehicle any time. I reached the workshop and within half hour my job was done. I didn't had to pay anything at the workshop as they said that it will be covered under warranty. When I asked the price of the ORVM it was just Rs 1500 to my shock. It has an electrically operated mirror and was surprised to know the shockingly low price. After 2-3 days I received a call from Tata asking for my feedback about the whole experience at the workshop. I was twice asked if there was any problem or short coming at the service center.
I am really happy to take a right decision to buy a Linea. And the Blue & Me feature rocks man.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:08   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Thats nothing new - GM is doing that thing for years - that how cheap Aveo is to maintain. But I ask, who is buying Aveo?

Also since its from Fiat/GM dealer, do you expect them to show that their car maintenance is expensive? BTW, how accurate are the prices for other cars? Are they underestimating theirs and overestimating others?

Am sure if Maruti or Ford prepare such a comparison, their cars will be cheaper than Linea. I urge people to not to fall for such marketing gimmicks.

wow was that marketing gimmicks. Hats off to Fiat atleast they are learning tricks from Suzuki and GM.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:22   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That doesn't mean that Aveo is NOT cheap to maintain. Sales has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Also since its from Fiat/GM dealer, do you expect them to show that their car maintenance is expensive? BTW, how accurate are the prices for other cars? Are they underestimating theirs and overestimating others
Do you think any company can get away by quoting less price for its parts or inflating prices for competitors? They can be sued for that. (Manufacturers sue each other even for petty subjective comparisons such as 4 seater vs. 5 seater.) Do you think such objective comparison can go unnoticed, especially when so easy to prove wrong?

I seriously doubt that.

On the other hand, there is no winning for Linea with skeptics. If its spares cost high, it would be claimed as expensive to maintain. If its spares are inexpensive, it will be claimed that they lack quality/durability and hence, cheap.

Last edited by RX135 : 18th February 2009 at 17:24.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:44   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I urge people to not to fall for such marketing gimmicks.
While all of it may not be true and some part of it is marketing, its not entirely false.
We all know how Honda overcharges or rather milks the Indian customer. For the NHC they charged Rs 3500 for gold plated locks and emblems!
Old 18th February 2009, 17:48   #435
Senior - BHPian

Pricing of SX4 parts in S.K.Maruti, Navi Mumbai.

- Spark Plugs Rs.213 (set of 4). Attached sheet is of a New Delhi dealer and the price is Rs.240.

- Oil Filter Rs.80. Attached sheet shows Rs.89.

- Front Windshield Rs.3933. Attached sheet shows Rs.4425.

Are Verna spares really that costly or is the sheet talking about CRdi parts because oil filter cost is Rs.450, fuel filter Rs.975 and air filter Rs.403!

Honda City brake pads cost Rs.4007!?
Closed Thread