Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20th February 2009, 16:39   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
We must disagree. To me it is saying it like it is. What I've written here is pretty much what happens day in and day out for some people. Denying it would be denying the most obvious phenomenon on this forum.

What exactly is unwanted - the sarcasm or the subject of it?

I would think its the latter.

Why do I say this? For about 3 years now we've heard the same bunch of people go on and on about the Linea like it was the ultimate car in the world. There were hundreds of threads on Linea this and Grande Punto that. People who owned the Palio seemed to believe that they have this automatic, god-given right to talk about these two cars (Baby Maserati, BAH!) without anyone disputing what they said. Regardless of the fact that the Palio and the Linea have nothing in common. People driving that underpowered 1.2 Palio automatically spoke authoritatively on these cars like they had made them in their backyards. Nevermind that the 1.2 wouldnt hold its own against my 55 year old 1.1 in either power deliver or mileage or sheer driving pleasure. It was assumed that owning Fiat gave you ownership of the brand.

Now the car is out, and frankly WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! For all that tall talk it fails to deliver power, driveability, usable space or consistent interior quality.

Read up all the threads leading up to the launch of this car and then sit in that car. You will realize where I'm coming from.

In my opinion, these people are Fiat's biggest enemies.
who has given you right to comment on 1.2 owners. It does not matter if your 1.1 can even beat a Ferrari or not. This is Linea thread. You are entitled to give opinion on Linea. This is not expected out of a senior member.

-BSR
Old 20th February 2009, 16:45   #527
Senior - BHPian

Finally saw a red linea today on road near delhi border. Beautiful is the word which struck me the moment i saw it. Linea vs ANHC in looks department for me Linea wins easily (my opinion so dont jump on me)
Old 20th February 2009, 16:51   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It is very easy to sit back & pass a comment like that!
The people sitting at the Board of Fiat and Tata are highly knowledgeble and have years of experience in Automobile industry, so if they have taken a crucial decision like this, there would certainly be a big rationale behind that.
What do you mean its easy to sit back & pass a comment? If I am a potential customer than I have a right to comment like that!

And you say people sitting at the board of Fiat and Tata are highly knowledgable with years of experience. So what you say of the past? They had mavericks sitting on the boards all these years that all their cars (Uno, Siena, Adventure, Palio etc) failed? What about companies like GM, Ford, Crysler. They are all unintelligent/inexperienced folks at the top there (as these companies are all in a big big mess)? Sorry this argument doesnt cut it with me. Fiat is just trying piggybacking Tata and its going to be a real mess when Nano comes. If Nano manages to sell in volumes as it promises to (and there is no reason to believe it wont), there wont be even place to stand in Tata dealerships/service centers.
Old 20th February 2009, 17:11   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Fiat is just trying piggybacking Tata and its going to be a real mess when Nano comes. If Nano manages to sell in volumes as it promises to (and there is no reason to believe it wont), there wont be even place to stand in Tata dealerships/service centers.
Aren't they supposed to have exclussive outlets for Nano? In that case this problem may not arise.
Old 20th February 2009, 17:27   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Aren't they supposed to have exclussive outlets for Nano? In that case this problem may not arise.
What about servicing? Exclusive outlets for servicing for Nano as well?
If thats not the case then Linea owners are in for a big surprise.
Old 20th February 2009, 17:30   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
What about servicing? Exclusive outlets for servicing for Nano as well?
If thats not the case then Linea owners are in for a big surprise.
Are you really worried or trying desperately hard to make a point? Let FIAT worry about after sales service, Linea is their last chance to succeed in this market.

And take my advice... you will be happy with the Honda City so go ahead and buy one.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 20th February 2009 at 17:31.
Old 20th February 2009, 17:42   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Yes they will be having so. Have read in a report featuring Ratan Tata where he mentioned that so space wont be a problem.Nano is the biggest project Tata Motors have taken and am sure they will do everything they can to make it successful.
Old 20th February 2009, 19:36   #533
BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Finally saw a red linea today on road near delhi border. Beautiful is the word which struck me the moment i saw it. Linea vs ANHC in looks department for me Linea wins easily (my opinion so dont jump on me)
Forget jumping dude. The way the thread is going on people will be there to pounce on you.. I think this is high time to say good bye to this thread. There is nothing productive happening in this thread other than irrational people and brand bashing. Whatever productive thing one can get is there in the initial 10-15 pages. This is just going in a vicious circle
Old 20th February 2009, 21:24   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Are you really worried or trying desperately hard to make a point? Let FIAT worry about after sales service, Linea is their last chance to succeed in this market.

And take my advice... you will be happy with the Honda City so go ahead and buy one.

Joslicx is worried because he maybe a potential buyer, he has all his rights to worry about Fiat After sales service, If Linea is their last chance to succeed in this market ,they might have to get their acts right. If not he can take a very clear stand like tomthump posted in my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthump View Post
So I have learned to accept these situations, where nothing is perfect

Especially in a Fiat. Buy it only if you want it and fully knowing you will get a lot of imperfections for the fanatstic performace. But after buying it don't gripe, because that is how it is!!
Old 20th February 2009, 21:40   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Let FIAT worry about after sales service,
So, if one would like to buy a FIAT, he/she shouldn't worry about after sales service? That sounds illogical.

BTW, though nothing personal against you - but your posts are not in the best interests of an "open" community. As someone else pointed out in this same thread, you even went to the extent of starting a thread bashing the looks of one particular car. But are unable to take similar criticism in this thread.

Some folks are adamant that Linea is best looking (which it is, in their opinion) and ANHC is ugly (again, which it is, in their opinion) - nothing wrong with that - but do take a pause and agree to disagree. There are others whose opinion is exactly opposite - they can't and shouldn't change his/her opinion just because someone else doesn't have the same view.

So guys - please call it quits.
Old 20th February 2009, 21:53   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpursuit View Post
Forget jumping dude. The way the thread is going on people will be there to pounce on you.. I think this is high time to say good bye to this thread. There is nothing productive happening in this thread other than irrational people and brand bashing. Whatever productive thing one can get is there in the initial 10-15 pages. This is just going in a vicious circle
Yes mate you are absolutely right. All the required information one needs is available for both cars in the few pages so no point in smashing heads again.
Old 20th February 2009, 22:00   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
I think this forum represents the sentiments and views of an average commuter/motoring enthusiast with a wee bit passion for 4 wheels and if the booking figures are any indication of things to come for FIAT Linea, its just a matter of time before HONDA wakes up to review their 'Lynch the indian customer' strategy. Whatever said and done for most Indian car buyers cost of ownership is a huge deciding factor.
But as always views of all bhpians are respected and appreciated.
I agree with you, but this is the problem we have. Everyone needs a car, just 4 wheels that can take around and do not have that little passion for the car. They talk about A.S.S for a new car with parts replacement, are we nuts taking about replacements for a brand new car?
it takes a hell lot of time for people to come out of this mindsets.
Every segment has a market leader and I do believe in the under dogs.
Old 20th February 2009, 22:21   #538
Team-BHP Support

Some may say OT and some may say it is in the 'current spirit' of this thread.

Here is a nice article that most people on this thread could make use of while putting up their points.

"If You Preach to the Choir, You'll Only Convince People Who Already Agreed with You"

Quote:
When a writer preaches to the choir, he or she only convinces the people who already agreed with the author's viewpoint before reading the article. The article is so strongly opinionated that it alienates people who have yet to form an opinion on the issue. The choir preacher also infuriates people who hold the opposite viewpoint. Readers simply maintain the view they held before reading the article. Essentially, the article accomplishes nothing...
Full article here:

And yes, while at it, here is another article on 'How to convince people'

One can see most of the points mentioned there in use within this thread

Enjoy.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th February 2009 at 22:24. Reason: added one more link
Old 20th February 2009, 22:52   #539
BANNED

@joslicx, you have raised valid and grave points about effect on Fiat after Nano launch. To paraphrase Buffet, only time tell whether Fiat is swimming naked or have it covered.
Old 20th February 2009, 22:59   #540
Senior - BHPian

I hope this is not OT.

One of my relatives have S10 Palio. Its quite old now. They went on to check out Linea. Now, other than outright power and speed, acceleration and braking, they are not into technical details.

Their observations for Linea were :

1) Very very beautiful.
2) Large boot.
3) Good interiors.
4) Engine is noisy as compared to petrol motor of S10. After they checked out Dzire, they agreed that in Linea more engine noise enters into cabin.
But they also appreciated the fact that relatively less outside noise like horns of other vehicles enter into cabin.
5) In city driving they were very very satisfied. They said gearbox is good and the car is very well mannered. No or very little lag. Power delivery is quite linear. ( Their words were : The car wont be converted into rocket after you keep the accelerator pressed for 2 secs as in case of Dzire ).
6) Ride quality is great.
7) Space utilization is better in case of Palio ( I doubt this statement ).
8) Feels as solid as Palio which is has almost not aged.

Now after a brief talk with them, I realized that they are satisfied with the car. Till I asked them to take it on open roads for a reasonably long TD. They now came up with rear seat space issue and were not happy about performance. Despite several claims that S10 is petrol and this is diesel, they said why this has got 90 hp and palio has 100 ? Torque was answer and they said on the highway they need hp.

After this conversation they are now pulling on with S10. They are now not happy after the long TD they had.

So for me conclusion comes as this : Linea attracts some specific customers and diesel fuel is its advantage and G3HC attracts some specific customers and it has a good petrol engine.
Depending upon requirements, both car can serve good if used in tolerable limits.

I am posting this as I have seen that we are not longer comparing the cars, but rahter now its again Fiat bashing thread. This is the nth Fiat thread and the issues known with Fait i.e. mainly A.S & S. still remain despite the company being in India for long now.

There is no point in pin pointing at each other and what ever the problems are with Fait, they remain. Yes, I feel Linea is overrated ( may be I expected more ) and not a good product as compared to other offerings in the same segment.
Closed Thread