Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25th February 2009, 00:09   #556
Senior - BHPian

@1100D, I think it'd be unfair to compare the two cars till you TD Honda City. I have a suspicion that you would like that extra power on the tap. Power and reliability are main USP for Honda City. You haven't checked them out yet. What you have compared so far has traditionally been Fiat's forte, so scale is obviously tilted in Linea's favor (other than power).
Old 25th February 2009, 00:18   #557
Senior - BHPian

Default Is it a Loco or what?

The revs kept on piling with urgency as the gear lever was slotted into 4th, after having redlined in the first three. Crossing the 5000 rpm mark, beyond the torque peak, I was beginning to sense I was soon going to run out of road. To have a complete "roadtest" a customary shift to fifth was called for, even if its just for a few seconds. But heck, the revs were still happily increasing. The torque peak of the engine that had been crossed in 4th, was now a few clicks ahead, hence the revs would keep on piling, but then I had no option but slow down. Welcome to the phenomenon called a Honda Engine. All this was hapenning with a 1.5 litre engine was mindblowing.

Guess what, drama did not spare me even this time, in the form of an Accent Viva 1.6 and a Baleno with an aftermarket exhaust. Probably having seen a red Demo car being "driven", they wanted to maybe have a moment of self appraisal. Infact had I been in my Ikon 1.6, I would have done the same thing. The Rajarhat expressway offers a clear view to the horizon, and if that view is devoid of cattle or dhoti-clad jaywalkers, its your day. Both those cars weaving left and right thru gaps in the sparse traffic, the red City just waiting for the traffic to let it through. One clear view, both the cars, one after the other, Baleno first, Viva second, was given a gentle reminder that the Honda is coming thru in 4th gear climbing upto its torque peak and beyond. Both of them being done, it was time to slow down and let them go.

The steering feel is back, but is it at the OHC levels, I dont recall, but then no way near the benchmark, which all of us know, comes from where!!

In contrast, the Linea Diesel, albeit a little Turbo Lag, amplified by the mass it had to accelerate, was a different kind of machine. Slot it in 5th and enjoy driving 80 onwards. No Petrol car will give you that luxury as well as urgency to gather momentum in 5th from similar speeds. Downshift a few cogs and the story will be different, I know, but why? Is the road a place to race?

Its a shame that such fantastic driving dynamics, such a superb high-speed poise, but a couple of engines that are not even eager to get the car where it really shines.

Max power RPM in 4th gear comes up around 125ish, the going gets a little better beyond that in 5th rather than sticking to 4th. 5th pulls for a couple of 10's beyond that and then the revs are too slow to show a change.

However, it, actually drives quite well if you shift at the 4k rpm mark. In that way, you dont even hit that Turbo lag.

Now according to me the price one pays for the Honda goes to its engine, and given that we do not see any such engine from anyone else in our market, they have every right to price it the way they have done, lack of alloys or climate control is too trivial.

But is it worthwhile to to say the Linea lost, nope, its a bigger better car with adequate power to get you from place A to place B in style and admiration. But when you see the Honda City in the RVM while driving this BBC (Bigger Better Car), please move over!!

(P.S I cant mention the speeds both the cars topped at, but you can get a hint from the revs I have mentioned in some particular gears. Please drive safe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This seem to have been addressed in the 09 models.
Nope, I have seen another car at another showroom, being delivered, has the same peek-a-boo window there. The concern is when the car is at speed and a stray stone or brick, mostly shot from the tyre of another vehicle, enters this space, it will do a couple of bounces back and forth between the radiator, cooling fan, the engine block, the thermostat housing (knowing how easy it might be to crack), and the hoses before falling back.

Last edited by 1100D : 25th February 2009 at 00:28.
Old 25th February 2009, 00:38   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The revs kept on piling with urgency

its a bigger better car with adequate power to get you from place A to place B in style and admiration. But when you see the Honda City in the RVM while driving this BBC (Bigger Better Car), please move over!!
Very well written ... and very well concluded!
Old 25th February 2009, 08:36   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review there 1100D:

However If and when FIAT decide to plonk the 1.4 Turbojet, then the story might end up the other way round. But not having driven the ANHC or the TJet all I can do is presume things. Huh . Fiat
Old 25th February 2009, 08:45   #560
Senior - BHPian

@1100D - now that's a comparo. well written
Old 25th February 2009, 09:11   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, I have seen another car at another showroom, being delivered, has the same peek-a-boo window there. The concern is when the car is at speed and a stray stone or brick, mostly shot from the tyre of another vehicle, enters this space, it will do a couple of bounces back and forth between the radiator, cooling fan, the engine block, the thermostat housing (knowing how easy it might be to crack), and the hoses before falling back.
There is some kind of cover(but with a opening in the center I guess) in 2009 models
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-anhc-t-2.html check the post no.21

Was it the same in the model you test drove?
Old 25th February 2009, 09:46   #562
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review 1100D!

The Honda engines are an admiration for sure!
Old 25th February 2009, 10:15   #563
BHPian

Default Wow

Now that is what I call a review. Brilliant TD and wonderful writing. A combined reading of your 2 reports will surely enlighten many a confused & tormented soul - BBC or "rocket" engine whatever their choice may be.

Last edited by swami : 25th February 2009 at 10:16. Reason: Wanted to add the word "rocket"
Old 25th February 2009, 10:20   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just reminded me of the magic Loogie Seinfeld episode. Thats got to be one magic brick or stone to bounce that way !
Old 25th February 2009, 10:25   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Excellent review 1100D!

The Honda engines are an admiration for sure!
Honda engines are certainly to die for. Aren't we missing resale value point which is very important in Indian Context where Mighty Honda rules over Fiat anyday.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:35   #566
BHPian

@1100D,

I think this is the best comparision I have seen so far between the 2 sedans. I wish we had more of your kind on this thread.

@swami

with you, everyone can decide between a 'BBC' or 'Rocket' that one statement makes a lot of sense.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:50   #567
Senior - BHPian

Default Does this belong here or in the Second hand car prices thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Honda engines are certainly to die for. Aren't we missing resale value point which is very important in Indian Context where Mighty Honda rules over Fiat anyday.
I thought that this was a thread devoted to test drives and impressions of the two cars. AFAIK there is a seperate thread devoted to prices of 2nd hand cars. Right now the used car prices of both the cars under comparison are in the realm of speculation. Yes, past record shows that Hondas command better prices in the 2nd hand market but how is it relevant to the comparisons being made here, particularly the excellent one by 1100D (that I had mis-read the first time around).

It is posts like these that start off slanging matches with tonnes of mud-slinging and huge amounts of noise without any light.

All of us appreciated 1100D's post as he stuck to the topic on hand and gave his impressions and observations without speculating on any aspect.

Cheers,
Old 25th February 2009, 11:15   #568
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review of both cars 1100D! The best I have read (including indian mags - but that's not saying much... is it?).

Looks like the only reason to buy the ANHC is the only reason not to buy a Linea. Wish they had launched the 1.4TSI (?) in the Linea
Old 25th February 2009, 11:39   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

It is posts like these that start off slanging matches with tonnes of mud-slinging and huge amounts of noise without any light.

All of us appreciated 1100D's post as he stuck to the topic on hand and gave his impressions and observations without speculating on any aspect.

Cheers,
tell me about it, I think this is really not a place for punter's if you know what I mean.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:27   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The steering feel is back, but is it at the OHC levels, I dont recall, but then no way near the benchmark, which all of us know, comes from where!!
Pardon my ignorance, but what car is the benchmark for steering feel?
BTW, great summary of both cars!
Closed Thread