Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26th February 2009, 23:41   #586
psn
BHPian

Default 2 weeks with Honda City

Hi,
Have completed 2 weeks with my spanking new honda city today. The average I am getting is more than 12.5, and it has done only 600kms under city conditions. This is the same that my Santro gave under the same conditions. And before you wonder, the Km\l meter shows 13.2. It handles very well, its nimble and is a drivers delight, theres power literally across the complete power band, and overtaking is a thrilling experience. I have had people walk up to me to tell me what a wonderful car I have, so getting my share of ego kicks...
The car is comfortable for a 6 footer like me, the suspension set up takes up what the roads have to offer, and the handling is perfect, with the steering weighing up very well as speed progresses.
The clearance is low and this is a slight problem, but it manages most of the speed breakers.
I would really like to hear from somebody from Hyd who has bought Linea and if he is enjoying it as much. My thoughts while test driving it, was that it was heavy and because the turbo kicked in at 2500 rpm, was a struggle to drive in a city like Hyd where you are driving up slopes at not so fast speeds. Personally I would prefer an i20 over Linea, but thats a different thread all together.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:42   #587
Senior - BHPian

Power+Reliability+FE+Good A.S.S.+Driveability=Success and seems to be the formula Honda has patented in India. Let us see if Fiat-Linea/Punto can beat it. At the moment, one certainly sees lots more ANHCs than Lineas.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:27   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Power+Reliability+FE+Good A.S.S.+Driveability=Success and seems to be the formula Honda has patented in India. Let us see if Fiat-Linea/Punto can beat it. At the moment, one certainly sees lots more ANHCs than Lineas.
Honda A.S.S is debatable, Spares are expensive.

Also in T-BHP, we see more Lineas than ANHC.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:40   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
At the moment, one certainly sees lots more ANHCs than Lineas.
But again ANHC debut-ed atleast 3 months before Linea. So they have that advantage over Linea and hence maybe you see more of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
I don't know how many tbhp-ians own each of these cars. But like you yourself mentioned earlier, only a very minor %age of Indian car buyers (less than the 1% you mentioned) are tbhp-ians. So, IMO the test is to see how many Lineas we see on the road, not how many we see on tbhp.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:47   #590
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Mods!!

Can we make these two posts by 1100D;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1182241-post543.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1187321-post558.html

Pinned to the start of the thread? Many prospective buyers/enthusiasts would surely appreciate this!

What say?

Agree totally - These need to be pinned to the start and finish of the thread, they contribute more to this thread pages and pages of thread scanning does.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:09   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I don't know how many tbhp-ians own each of these cars..
What do you mean?
Only Bhpians who bought & owned the car have reported the same here.
Quote:
But like you yourself mentioned earlier, only a very minor %age of Indian car buyers (less than the 1% you mentioned) are tbhp-ians. So, IMO the test is to see how many Lineas we see on the road, not how many we see on tbhp.
Even if Bhpians form a minor % of Car buyers in India, if a good no of Bhpians are buying Linea, it is a good indication.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:15   #592
BANNED

Its debatable only in 1, 2 or 3 places in India. Also the spares are not expensive. Please don't propagate wrong information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
But I see more ANHCs
Quote:
Old 27th February 2009, 12:16   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if Bhpians form a minor % of Car buyers in India, if a good no of Bhpians are buying Linea, it is a good indication.
Take a chill pill buddy. I hope Linea sells more than last month, it should since Petrol Linea TD is available and quite a few buyers opting for Linea Petrol too.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:17   #594
Senior - BHPian

@finney & @SB: we will have the data of sales in a week. Tbhp is too small to be comparing sales of either models. We all know "i cant see that many on roads" is not really a good logic to judge car sales.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:34   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean? Only Bhpians who bought & owned the car have reported the same here.
Very simple. I meant I did not keep a count of who all bought these 2 cars on tbhp. Is that wrong ?

Quote:
Well, let it be whatever indication. If according to you, it indicates super sales for Linea, I have no issues with that. Just that if we confuse tbhp with the actual market, nothing could be further from the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
Tbhp is too small to be comparing sales of either models. We all know "i cant see that many on roads" is not really a good logic to judge car sales.
The first line of your post is what I was also saying. And regarding the 2nd part, while I agree that it is not a fool-proof logic, it is not fully flawed either. For eg, how many Sumo Grandes do you see on the road ? Does the answer not have a connection to how it fared in the market ? I think yes. But I agree, it is not fool-proof logic.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th February 2009 at 12:37.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:50   #596
BANNED

Quote:
For eg, how many Sumo Grandes do you see on the road ? Does the answer not have a connection to how it fared in the market ?
OT but you'll be very surprised to see the number of Sumo Grandes on the GQ between Chennai & Bangalore. It may not have met with the success expected by Tata Motors but it looks like the Sumo Grande sells much more in the non-metro areas than the metros.

The same is the case with the Sonalika Rhino - one hardly sees them in the city but our National and State Highways have more than their fair share of Rhinos.

Last edited by hrag : 27th February 2009 at 12:51.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:55   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

@hrag, I see your point.
BTW, is the Grande a success in its segment ? Did it sell like the old Sumos did ? Forget what Tata's expected figure was.

I don't really follow the sales figures posted in the Sales Analysis thread, so I am not sure. My thinking was the Grande bombed. I might be wrong though.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:59   #598
Senior - BHPian

yep, even i felt Grande flopped big time. I am a little surprised i might add - i thought it looked good and felt VFM. Mebbe the quality was poor. Sorry i am going OT here.
Old 27th February 2009, 13:02   #599
BHPian

Quote:

Question is, even assuming spares are expensive, how frequently do you need those spares? If a car scores very high in reliability (and yes, Honda does this much better), then the need for those spares are not high.

And, please don't bring accessories to this discussion. Both aren't the same and accessories aren't priced well, me thinks.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:02   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant I did not keep a count of who all bought these 2 cars on tbhp. Is that wrong ?
Yes, you are wrong!
As of now we have 6 Linea owners at T-BHP - vancity, coloneljasi, Prash, Opendro, nehamit & ntranced.
And 3 Bhpians are waiting for delivery (TheHorse, downsouth & Aks_Karthik).
Closed Thread