Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 3rd March 2009, 15:53   #616
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys sorry for Off Topic, Just wanted to share what happened today !

I had gone to TATA-FIAT service center on last Sat for minor repairs of my Palio. I had given them my feedback on a form which I handed over to them while signing off. I had given 8/10 for Washing but I regretted as I found a couple of spots not washed properly.

Today I got a call from FIAT, that lady asked me questiones which appeared in the form I had given to the service center. Today when I said 7 to washing she asked my why as I have given 8 in the form I gave them. When I explained her, She told me that she has filed a complaint and will follow up with me on this.

Wow, this never happened earlier. I hope FIAT-TATA will continue this and every FIAT customer would be as happy as any Maruti customer.
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:54   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Even the jaundiced view of the ACI one to one rated the ANHC superior (at least in Petrols).
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:02   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Hi Guys sorry for Off Topic, Just wanted to share what happened today !

I had gone to TATA-FIAT service center on last Sat for minor repairs of my Palio. I had given them my feedback on a form which I handed over to them while signing off. I had given 8/10 for Washing but I regretted as I found a couple of spots not washed properly.

Today I got a call from FIAT, that lady asked me questiones which appeared in the form I had given to the service center. Today when I said 7 to washing she asked my why as I have given 8 in the form I gave them. When I explained her, She told me that she has filed a complaint and will follow up with me on this.

Wow, this never happened earlier. I hope FIAT-TATA will continue this and every FIAT customer would be as happy as any Maruti customer.

What you experienced was TATA service, I too got similar call when the fuel injector ring was broken by some mechanic(wonder how ?), first they asked me to pay Rs. 6,500, I refused to pay for it then sweet tongue lady called me & assured that the part will be replaced 100% free of cost I am yet to hear from them, Later I had to buy that injector from market costing Rs.1300.

Last edited by FERRO : 3rd March 2009 at 20:06.
Old 16th March 2009, 23:10   #619
Team-BHP Support

So sometime last week I got a chance to TD the Linea and the ANHC back to back on the same stretch of road.

Here's a small comparo on both the cars.

Looks wise both cars are evenly matched. The linea looks classy whereas the ANHC is modern. Both impress in looks department.

Interior quality wise the Linea is better. I like Linea dash design more and it also does not feel as cheap as the ANHC. Space wise the ANHC is much better. The lineas rear seats are decidedly cramped. ANHC seat height is higher so getting in and out is easier.

Engine wise the Honda is the better of the 2. I drove the diesel linea and it was really strained. Pickup was no great shakes and it was vibrating as well as had poor NVH. Honda was a bit buzzy but performance was pretty good. The linea clutch was horrible with no feel what so ever. The gear shift was also poor compared to the honda. A shift to higher gear even at 4000rpm results in the higher gear rpm being below the power band so again you have to build up the momentum. There is no turbo lag thanks to the VGT but this make the car feel slow as you don't get the sudden surge.

Ride and handling the Linea squishes the ANHC. The ANHC was skittish and used to crash into all potholes. Over depressions the rear would pitch up and throw the passengers up. Not at all impressive. It was all over the place. Handling was good but not as confidence inspiring as the Linea. The Linea was just rock solid. Fantastic handling and the car would stay planted on the line even over poor roads and undulations. The ride was firm but never pitched about. Completely planted and confidence inspiring. You can really push the Linea with much more confidence. The chasis begs for a powerful engine.

If i were looking for a car in 10L basket, which one would I pick? The linea is 9.6L onroad for emotion+ pack whereas NHC is 10L for the S M/T after the price revision. The ANHC is not at all VFM and I wouldn't put down 10 big ones for it and not get alloys, climate control at that price. The Linea was just not impressive. Performance was no great shakes and poor clutcg/gearbox. Only the ride and handling was really good.

For 10L I would go out and get the Verna CRDi SX with ABS at 9.5L and freak out on the performance and great mileage as well as good features. I would still have 50K and the savings for diesel would be worth it. The Verna is really a good proposition compared to the Honda and the Fiat.
Old 17th March 2009, 08:43   #620
Senior - BHPian

@vid: agree with most of your points.

I liked the looks, interior quality, ride and handling of Linea much better than the City. Yes, performance is a downer, at least to me.

Verna is a good car - but the point you bring to Honda applies even more to Verna. The ride, especially at the rear is really bad compared to both cars here, and the handling too is not as good as both. Also consider the fact that it has smaller boot and interior space compared to both cars in question.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:42   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

For 10L I would go out and get the Verna CRDi SX with ABS at 9.5L and freak out on the performance and great mileage as well as good features. I would still have 50K and the savings for diesel would be worth it. The Verna is really a good proposition compared to the Honda and the Fiat.

Vid, nice review there. But i would nt really say that Verna has better features. Ride and handling to me was kinda let down in Verna. But overall it does seem to be a brilliant car. Only if it had airbags .
Old 17th March 2009, 09:53   #622
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, the Verna does have a poor ride quality as well. But if you see no car in this segment is perfect. You have to compromise. To me the best compromise was the Verna. More pros than cons. The biggest pro being I save money.

ANHC:
- No features
- Poor interiors
- Price is more

Linea:
- Mediocre performance
- less interior space
- poor clutch and gearbox

Verna:
- poor ride
- lesser space than the ANHC

I would say the Verna is the best compromise. That's just the way I would look at it and ofcourse opinions will vary.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:25   #623
BHPian

"Interior quality wise the Linea is better. I like Linea dash design more and it also does not feel as cheap as the ANHC"

The overall impression I got between the Linea and the ANHC interiors is that the quality of plastics in the ANHC is much better. You can look at some things like the door trim, the edges are more visible in the Linea. I'm not sure if the Dynamic and Emotion variants have different plastics though, I'm talking about the dynamic.

Also, not many Lineas seem to be visible on the road these days, ANHC took some time, but now its all over the place.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:44   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Verna:
- poor ride

I would say the Verna is the best compromise. That's just the way I would look at it and ofcourse opinions will vary.
i forgot one this: aribags. I would value this above all other features. Its really just too lame that Verna doesn't it have it as an option.
Old 17th March 2009, 11:12   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
"Interior quality wise the Linea is better. I like Linea dash design more and it also does not feel as cheap as the ANHC"

The overall impression I got between the Linea and the ANHC interiors is that the quality of plastics in the ANHC is much better. You can look at some things like the door trim, the edges are more visible in the Linea. I'm not sure if the Dynamic and Emotion variants have different plastics though, I'm talking about the dynamic.

Also, not many Lineas seem to be visible on the road these days, ANHC took some time, but now its all over the place.
@mayjay
What I have realised is, when people comment(including auto-journals) on the 'interior quality', they are refering to the 'feel' or the 'percieved quality' and not the 'quality in absolute terms'.
Since ANHC interiors have rather dull beige (which is actually closer to a gray) plastics, that too in a matt finish (no 'gloss' or 'shine') they appear what is percived as 'cheap' looking.
I think the Honda designers/marketing made a blunder here. They should have gone for fresh beige and glossier finish. Black instead of dark gray on the dashboard also would have made big difference. Fake alluminium inserts here and there will not cost much but can make the interior look more upmarket.

Last edited by Guna : 17th March 2009 at 11:15.
Old 17th March 2009, 11:24   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
@mayjay
What I have realised is, when people comment(including auto-journals) on the 'interior quality', they are refering to the 'feel' or the 'percieved quality' and not the 'quality in absolute terms'.
Since ANHC interiors have rather dull beige (which is actually closer to a gray) plastics, that too in a matt finish (no 'gloss' or 'shine') they appear what is percived as 'cheap' looking.
I think the Honda designers/marketing made a blunder here. They should have gone for fresh beige and glossier finish. Black instead of dark gray on the dashboard also would have made big difference. Fake alluminium inserts here and there will not cost much but can make the interior look more upmarket.
Thanks for bringing that out. There are different terms like look, feel, fit, finish etc.,
For me ANHC has good fit and finish. Look and feel is not that great.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:43   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
The lineas rear seats are decidedly cramped.
I agree. There is a Linea in our office parking and the other day I was just looking at the interiors thru the windows and I felt that the rear seats are really cramped. Which seemed really odd to me given that it is such a long car.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:05   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, the Verna does have a poor ride quality as well. But if you see no car in this segment is perfect. You have to compromise. To me the best compromise was the Verna. More pros than cons. The biggest pro being I save money.

ANHC:
- No features
- Poor interiors
- Price is more

Linea:
- Mediocre performance
- less interior space
- poor clutch and gearbox

Verna:
- poor ride

For me, the best compromise in this segment is SX4.
- Many safety and other features
- Average interiors, but better than Verna
- Average mileage
- Great pricing
- Good ride - especially, great highway and off-road ride
Old 17th March 2009, 15:42   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I agree. There is a Linea in our office parking and the other day I was just looking at the interiors thru the windows and I felt that the rear seats are really cramped. Which seemed really odd to me given that it is such a long car.
REAR SEATS CRAMPED????????? LINEA?????????
I guess you should first open the door make your way in the rear seat and than post your comment rather just looking it from the outside.
I dont think the rear seats are cramped at all. What people see is the space between the rear seat and the front seat and come to this conclusion. Why doesnt anyone bother to check the length of the actuall seating area. In Linea when seated In the front or rear the seat runs till under thigh. In cars manufactered by Maruti and few others the seat are short in length. Hence it feels visually that there is lot of space between two seats.
I have been using this car from past 2 months and that is the reason i can say so.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:01   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash
I guess you should first open the door make your way in the rear seat and than post your comment rather just looking it from the outside.
Well, that does not sound like a nice idea. I don't even know whose car it is. And to top it, the car is locked. How do you expect me to open the door and make my way to the rear seat ?

If you noticed, I was talking about a Linea parked in our office parking. And the only option available to me was to look thru the window and I posted what was a visual inference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash
What people see is the space between the rear seat and the front seat and come to this conclusion. Why doesnt anyone bother to check the length of the actuall seating area.
You might be right about this. Infact when I observed the rear seating thru the window, I also noticed that the seats were longer than normal and so assumed that it would make up for the narrow gap between rear seat and back of front seat.

But, vid6639 did a TD of the car during which I am sure he 'opened the door and made his way into the rear seat' and when he mentioned about rear seats being cramped, I did not see a reason to doubt him. Maybe your question should have been directed at him than me.

BTW, saw the Linea just now during the coffee-break. And looks like the driver is yet to get used to the size of the car esp. the long bonnet. There is a dent on the left side of the bonnet, which I presume happened when he underestimated the length of the car and rear-ended some vehicle.
Closed Thread