Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18th March 2009, 17:18   #631
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
REAR SEATS CRAMPED????????? LINEA?????????
I guess you should first open the door make your way in the rear seat and than post your comment rather just looking it from the outside.
I dont think the rear seats are cramped at all. What people see is the space between the rear seat and the front seat and come to this conclusion. Why doesnt anyone bother to check the length of the actuall seating area. In Linea when seated In the front or rear the seat runs till under thigh. In cars manufactered by Maruti and few others the seat are short in length. Hence it feels visually that there is lot of space between two seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But, vid6639 did a TD of the car during which I am sure he 'opened the door and made his way into the rear seat' and when he mentioned about rear seats being cramped, I did not see a reason to doubt him. Maybe your question should have been directed at him than me.
I did sit in the rear seat for quite a while since I called it at my office for TD and 4 of us took turns to drive.

I did notice that the length of the seat is more providing better underthigh support but no escaping the fact that the legroom is decidedly cramped. I could barely get out with the front seats in mid position and I was pretty cramped. All my colleagues also found it cramped compared to ANHC, Optra Magnum and the Altis.

I also know that the SX4 is cramped as well as the Fiesta/Verna. I was just comparing to my Lancer which has quite a bit of legroom although seats are low and the length is not much.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:38   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I did notice that the length of the seat is more providing better underthigh support but no escaping the fact that the legroom is decidedly cramped. I could barely get out with the front seats in mid position and I was pretty cramped. All my colleagues also found it cramped compared to ANHC, Optra Magnum and the Altis.
Interesting point. I did not feel any difference between ANHC & Linea - but i guess many do complain that the rear space is cramped. Really strange on a car of Civic dimensions. Wonder what FIAT has done wrong there.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 18th March 2009 at 17:39.
Old 18th March 2009, 19:03   #633
BHPian

I feel while the space is there Fiat has just not designed it well and taken advantage of the space inside, compared to let's say Honda with ANHC. Every inch matters which makes it all the more important for designers to think creatively to maximize space available.

Honda does go the extra mile to give you the feeling of roominess, which IMHO Fiat has not done, and its a wasted opportunity because the Linea is such a good car.
Old 18th March 2009, 19:56   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Interesting point. I did not feel any difference between ANHC & Linea - but i guess many do complain that the rear space is cramped. Really strange on a car of Civic dimensions. Wonder what FIAT has done wrong there.
I don't think Fiat did anything wrong.

Honda does a good job of maximizing the interior space and having good ergonomics. They do this consistently on all their cars. Its one of the reasons why they still sell so many numbers inspite of conservative exterior design. For some models they reduce the exterior dimensions a little and still increase the interior volume (again not all the time though).

But then Jazz upon which City is based was done so meticulously with wicked interior configurations. Look at the boot, you might think its bigger than Accord's.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:05   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But then Jazz upon which City is based was done so meticulously with wicked interior configurations. Look at the boot, you might think its bigger than Accord's.
You mean to say NHC? Yes it has a boot (500 liter) which is larger then accord (400 litre)
Old 18th March 2009, 21:22   #636
Senior - BHPian

I think what he means is - Jazz with its close to 400l (~350-400) boot comes very close to bigger Sedans. Compare that to a Sedan - Verna - which has <400L boot.

probably Jazz will be the most spacious hatch when its released in India.
Old 18th March 2009, 22:03   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think what he means is - Jazz with its close to 400l (~350-400) boot comes very close to bigger Sedans. Compare that to a Sedan - Verna - which has <400L boot.

probably Jazz will be the most spacious hatch when its released in India.
OK. Someone pointed in another thread that Indian Jazz may have 330 L boot as they need to accomodate full size spare wheel here.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:39   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Honda does a good job of maximizing the interior space and having good ergonomics. They do this consistently on all their cars.
Off topic. But on maximising the interior space, Hyundai and Tata are the best. Look at the spaciousness of Getz or Vista. It will shame some C, C+ segment cars. Vista will at least be comparable to D segment cars (at least from the specs, leg space, seat width, head room, etc). But will it translate to real comfort, I don't know.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:05   #639
BHPian

It's the dashboard, which is really huge, you dont feel it when sitting inside the car, you should look down from a balcony, then you can see the difference, if Fiat had reduced the dash, maybe just maybe another 3-5 inches can be added into the cabin.

Quote:
Old 1st April 2009, 19:41   #640
BHPian

Default Honda dealer calls for feedback

Got a call from sundaram Honda today.
They were asking me as to why I chose Linea over City.

I told them eventhough Honda had the better engine and I value Honda brand better, I still had to go for the Linea :
The City was obscenely more expensive (~1.5L) and also short on features (ACC, alloys, fogs, BluenMe etc).

This is a good move by Honda, collecting info. Maybe they are seeing a reduction in demand?
Old 1st April 2009, 20:44   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
This is a good move by Honda, collecting info. Maybe they are seeing a reduction in demand?
From last 3 months or so City model is selling 3500-4000 units per month. But with further price increase , Linea looks more VFM( inspite of marginal price increase in Linea too). I would like Linea sales touching 2000 units on regular basis.
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:26   #642
Senior - BHPian

in fact for March 09 City (ANHC+NHC) combined sales is 6040!. But still a good move by Honda to check on competition. Linea is a great car and if it touches 2000+ on a regular basis it will be good for competitiveness of the overall segment.
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:06   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Got a call from sundaram Honda today.
They were asking me as to why I chose Linea over City.

I told them eventhough Honda had the better engine and I value Honda brand better, I still had to go for the Linea :
The City was obscenely more expensive (~1.5L) and also short on features (ACC, alloys, fogs, BluenMe etc).

Well, the same story for me here in Ahmedabad. In fact I was surprised by the call from Emerald Honda in Ahmedabad on 28th January 2009, one week after the official launch of Linea in Ahmedabad when I informed Honda sales guy that I have made up my mind for Linea. Two senior marketing executives from Mumbai visited me and took my feedback and tried to convince for ANHC against Linea. When I reaffirmed my stand for Linea, they just wished me good luck for Fiat A.S.S., surprisingly they did not make any coment against Linea as a vehicle. Definitely it was a good gesture on Honda side, but they were speechless when I showed them my email to Honda way back in November 2008 asking for the clarification of quality isues in ANHC, as there was no response from Honda at all. They were stresing on quality issue but had no answer to my queries regarding cheap plastics, no alloys, no Automatic Climate Control, comparatively smaller tyre size etc.
Definitely, Honda is feeling the heat from Linea.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:01   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in fact for March 09 City (ANHC+NHC) combined sales is 6040!.
That is the kind of number you see in hatches! Has it overtaken Dezire and Indigo in Sedans?
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:29   #645
BHPian

Quote:
in fact for March 09 City (ANHC+NHC) combined sales is 6040!. But still a good move by Honda to check on competition. Linea is a great car and if it touches 2000+ on a regular basis it will be good for competitiveness of the overall segment.
Is NHC still being sold? AFAIK, the NHC is not available in most (if not all) cities since last 2 months. The numbers look, hmm, way too optimistic to me. Mind quoting the source?

- Manish
Closed Thread