Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2nd April 2009, 11:47   #646
Senior - BHPian

source: form Honda - check the Indian can sales thread. Thats a sticky and the first thread on top in this section.
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:04   #647
BHPian

I think big rise in ANHC sales in March may be just a temporary surge in sales, and many buyers may have advanced their buying decision to Mar-09 in view of the price rise effective 1st April. Let us wait and watch. (However, it still remains an impressive number).
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:16   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehamit View Post
Well, the same story for me here in Ahmedabad. In fact I was surprised by the call from Emerald Honda in Ahmedabad on 28th January 2009, one week after the official launch of Linea in Ahmedabad when I informed Honda sales guy that I have made up my mind for Linea. Two senior marketing executives from Mumbai visited me and took my feedback and tried to convince for ANHC against Linea. When I reaffirmed my stand for Linea, they just wished me good luck for Fiat A.S.S., surprisingly they did not make any coment against Linea as a vehicle. Definitely it was a good gesture on Honda side, but they were speechless when I showed them my email to Honda way back in November 2008 asking for the clarification of quality isues in ANHC, as there was no response from Honda at all. They were stresing on quality issue but had no answer to my queries regarding cheap plastics, no alloys, no Automatic Climate Control, comparatively smaller tyre size etc.
Definitely, Honda is feeling the heat from Linea.
Doctor, Its not just Honda Executive’s but even Honda owners who have expressed their views 2 of my apartment neighbours own a ANHC and NHC respectively. They both like my car and have taken TD of it. The ANHC owner was disappointed with the lack of features in the ANHC. Otherwise he is extremely happy with his ANHC.

Disclaimer: This is my neighbours personal view and my observation.
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:49   #649
BHPian

I have been reading this thread for ages and was always in a dilemma whether to go in for Linea or ANHC. But, finally I gave into my instincts. I have bought a ANHC last week.
I won't like to go into technical detailed comparison because i know, i will never miss features as ACC, alloys, Blue and me etc., which never ever existed on my good old maruti Zen.

For people like me, who are upgrading after more than 5 years of riding in my Zen, its always about reliability. When i bought my zen, i was assured that its a Maruti and will be with me for few years (till i payback my car loan). Even after 5.5 years, i am still so much in love with my Zen that I am still keeping it as my 2nd car.
My apologies for going offtrack, but the point i want to make it is -
I always wanted Linea to sell better than ANHC, who doesnt want a new upcoming movie star to succeed when you know that superstars dont treat them well. I checked the sales figures and was always excited when people bashed Honda on Team BHP website. But, then real life is a lot different.
But even few months into the new year, I have to admit, In gurgaon, my eyes are still waiting for a Linea to be seen on road. I work in one of the major DLF buildings with more than 600 cars parking capacity and still no Linea. All my friends still rate Fiat not a worthy competitor to honda. Except for my Mom who loves the new Linea advertisement.

The only Linea i have seen is either in Fiat showroom or one parked in Safardjung enclace, Delhi.

So, I booked my Honda city (EMT) - 50K cheaper than SMT - not because i had more money to throw, but because i want to keep it for next few years.
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:17   #650
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post
I have been reading this thread for ages and was always in a dilemma whether to go in for Linea or ANHC. But, finally I gave into my instincts. I have bought a ANHC last week.
I won't like to go into technical detailed comparison because i know, i will never miss features as ACC, alloys, Blue and me etc., which never ever existed on my good old maruti Zen.
Firstly, Congrats on the ANHC buy, fantastic car to own for a long time esp when you are upgrading from a zen. But I am little confused here, in this post you have mentioned that you will never miss alloys.

But in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1234209-post67.html (your own post) you were considering buying alloys??? Why would you spend an extra 20K for alloys? and about 4K for body coloured mud-flaps?

Quote:
So, I booked my Honda city (EMT) - 50K cheaper than SMT - not because i had more money to throw, but because i want to keep it for next few years.
Some people(including me) me opted for the Linea since it was more value for money, which according to your above statement is wrong which should have read "50k cheaper than SMT - not because i had less money to spend". Either ways enjoy your ride .
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:24   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All my friends still rate Fiat not a worthy competitor to honda.
Does it really bother you what your friend think about the brand of your car? I would buy a car which I like.
One successful car and Fiat as a brand would be back in the reckoning, that how it works in India.
By the way hearty congrats on your buy... as they say you can never go wrong with a Honda.
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:10   #652
BANNED

Default Correct.

Quote:
All my friends still rate Fiat not a worthy competitor to honda.
They're absolutely correct. FiAT India will have to go thru a rebirth to achieve the coveted status of Honda in our country.

You've made a very wise decision. Honda city as of now, is a very decent, sensible purchase.
And being a comparison thread, let me express my feelings; Linea will never grow up to come anywhere near the Honda city except the tail lamps. Yes, the one in Linea looks better and it all ends there. Lots of hype and fancy words do appear about the Linea but for me it's just another FiAT car with a big body, small interiors, a really slow engine and backed up with a very bad brand reputation and worst service. HONDA CITY on the other side is the car to buy, own and drive!

Strictly my opinion.
Old 3rd April 2009, 08:55   #653
Senior - BHPian

I really like the Linea. Its got the looks, its got the features. Its got a brilliant ride and a solid feel.

When I shortlisted the cars however i did not consider the Linea - i chose ANHC & Verna because those were the peppiest cars in the 10L range with decent resale value. People have different parameters when choosing cars. Not everyone puts VFM as the first criteria - for me pleasure to drive/peppy car was a key parameter and ANHC scored heavily there. You can read about it here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...erna-crdi.html (ANHC or Verna CRDI?)

Not everyone want a fast car. And even for people who want a fast car, not many actually drives that way. I would highly recommend Linea to everyone who wants a good, stable, rock solid car with tons of features. Its just brilliant for its price - probably the best VFM car in any segment. And as for FIAT ownership woes - its over hyped - i have a Palio 1.2 which i have been using from 2002 Aug, still running extremely reliably and service had never been an issue.
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:11   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
And even for people who want a fast car, not many actually drives that way.
Very rightly said. When I chose ANHC, the peppiness was on the top of the priority. But I never drive really fast. Having a car with rersponvive engine helps in the traffic, to close the gaps, quickly overtake slow moving traffic etc. I had owned cars which were supposedly 'drivable' within certain powerband but they can be painful at times.
I never had a close look at Linea once I knew the petrol engine option it has. Otherwise I knew this is a brilliant car in almost all respects.
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:20   #655
BHPian

Competition is good for everyone. I picked up ANHC against Linea because:

1. No Automatic Option
2. Slightly underpowered engine - that is what i felt..
3. I am concerned about A.S.S - This is where Fiat scores negative marks..No one is sure about that. I didn't want to risk either
4. Resale value - At least as of today, Honda is one up above Fiat

I had also considered Verna..but finally went for ANHC
Old 4th April 2009, 01:46   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Firstly, Congrats on the ANHC buy, fantastic car to own for a long time esp when you are upgrading from a zen. But I am little confused here, in this post you have mentioned that you will never miss alloys.

But in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1234209-post67.html (your own post) you were considering buying alloys??? Why would you spend an extra 20K for alloys? and about 4K for body coloured mud-flaps?

Some people(including me) me opted for the Linea since it was more value for money, which according to your above statement is wrong which should have read "50k cheaper than SMT - not because i had less money to spend". Either ways enjoy your ride .

When i was not missing alloys, i was comparing Zen Vs ANHC. Alloys are not there in any honda city model and nor i had them in my Zen.
When i was comparing VFM, I was comparing ANHC EMT Vs SMT. For 50K saved, I have already got body colored ORVM & Door handles(about 5K from dealer), Cobra central locking, Kenwood HU with speakers, Sony Xplod components and still have cool 25K left. I have this surplus available for Alloys. I completely agree that Linea is VFM hands down vis-a-vis Honda. But i had budgeted for SMT and finally bought EMT.
I have already dropped my idea of getting alloys, but will definitely buy mudflaps (black ones-not colored ones).
Old 4th April 2009, 12:24   #657
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I really like the Linea. Its got the looks, its got the features. Its got a brilliant ride and a solid feel.

When I shortlisted the cars however i did not consider the Linea - i chose ANHC & Verna because those were the peppiest cars in the 10L range with decent resale value. People have different parameters when choosing cars. Not everyone puts VFM as the first criteria - for me pleasure to drive/peppy car was a key parameter and ANHC scored heavily there. You can read about it here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...erna-crdi.html (ANHC or Verna CRDI?)

Not everyone want a fast car. And even for people who want a fast car, not many actually drives that way. I would highly recommend Linea to everyone who wants a good, stable, rock solid car with tons of features. Its just brilliant for its price - probably the best VFM car in any segment. And as for FIAT ownership woes - its over hyped - i have a Palio 1.2 which i have been using from 2002 Aug, still running extremely reliably and service had never been an issue.
@Skywalker, this is one of the best comparisions anyone has put on this thread man...I wish there were more gents like you online .

I know you picked up a ANHC, congrats enjoy your ride.

Quote:
When i was not missing alloys, i was comparing Zen Vs ANHC. Alloys are not there in any honda city model and nor i had them in my Zen.

I have already dropped my idea of getting alloys, but will definitely buy mudflaps (black ones-not colored ones).
Got it, if not now..you can always consider Alloys on a later date.

Saw body coloured mudflaps on a white ANHC they blended neatly into the profile, but 4K seems like up there. I am still waiting for mud flaps for the Linea in hyd .
Old 6th April 2009, 18:24   #658
Senior - BHPian

The best option on balance is to get the normal black mudflaps from Honda and go to a third party body shop to get it painted body coloured. Probably will cost half what it does at the showroom and even if the color doesn't match 101%, who's gonna notice?
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:59   #659

Bought a Linea 1.4 and a Honda City 1.5V Automatic within one month of each other....Thought I'll share a first hand experience...

Initial Impressions -
Initial impressions of the new 1.5v Auto were that the new beige interiors were a l'il too yellow. Build was great as expected...But so was the Linea's. The City now comes with fog lamps (wonder why they didnt for so long...) & Alloy wheels that are very similar to those from the ZX Options. On the other hand, I found the Linea's alloys far more contemporary & attractive. Another thing that hit me initially was that the City's doors shut with a much better feel vs. the Linea. The Linea has solid build and fairly heavy doors...but the City just shuts with a better thud.

As far as the interiors go, the lack of Auto Climate Control & Integrated CP player in the City, even in the top end, left some sour taste...The Linea conversely, has a lot of knick knacks that are handy. The Quality of Buttons was at par for noth nameplates, although i did see some gaps in the plastic behind the Linea's steering column. Rear Leg room is a tad better in the Linea, but we all knw how the roof line tapers...
Blue & Me is a Boon!!

As far as the Driving Goes -
Have driven the Linea longer (about 800kms) vs 75km on the ANHC - and maybe this isnt a great comarison cos the City is an AT, But nevertheless....Here Goes.
I have got completely used to the gear ratios of the Linea and do not find it underpowered in any sense...The Steering feels solid and there is absolutely no body roll...
Honda's engine on the other hand is definitely a lot more refined, acceleration is smooth & the car does feel lighter. Typical of most Hondas, the steering feels like a toy with no real feel....Some body roll was also detected, but I didnt push the vehicle much yet.

Both great cars...Not much to complain about...
The Linea comes loaded and is absolute value for money.
The City is a quality product, but Honda needs to soon start justifying its price points.
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:29   #660
Senior - BHPian

Fiat needs an engine like the Verna's to make it desirable.

Of all the cars that i've driven with the 1.3 MJD, only the Swift seems to have the best balance beween FE and performance.

Even the Punto feels sluggish in comparison.

Shan2nu
Closed Thread