Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 09:51   #706
Senior - BHPian

1. Opening such a kind of comparison thread is guaranteed to get record views and posts.
2. Writing something against Honda will get some support, but from my limited experience, beware of writing a sentence that has `Tony or fix or again' in it.
Old 7th October 2009, 09:53   #707
Senior - BHPian

Skywalker - Interesting point you raised about consistent quality in Linea. The sad part is this has neither been improved nor addressed by FIAT inspite of the initiative and the drive taken our own fellow BHPians. My colleague's Linea niggles confirm that. His is a month old car.

It is too late to enter into a debate now since both the cars position and perception in the market is for everyone to see. What I really liked about the car was it offered great options in the marked in that segment and IMO is nothing but a great VFM package.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:04   #708
Senior - BHPian

I think you guys mean the inconsistent quality. :P

Why would anybody be unhappy with consisten quality.

The niggles are somewhat disconcerting. I am somewhat happy to know that they can be sorted out easier than most of the stuff Fiat used to throw at us before.

I sat in the Linea a bit back and I TD'd the ANHC when it was launched. I found the Linea interiors better looking against the ANHC, just my two cents. But then, stuff like interiors etc are highly subjective and opinions differ person to person.

Why is there no concrete info doing the rounds about the 1.6 or the 1.4 T-Jet?
Old 7th October 2009, 10:06   #709

Guys. Stop comparing City with Linea as I mentioned the tall difference in price and sale of volumes.

For someone who has a budget of say 7.5-8.5 lac, obvious list are Jazz, Linea petrol, Fiesta petrol, etc. among others in the list. Not an ANHC. If we are comparing for the size, Linea should then be compared with Civic, Altis, etc.

So, if you look at it, at a given price band, Honda is not a leader in any segment. At City's price band, there is hardly any competition (is there any?) But respect for the volume it has sold.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:12   #710

This thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omparison.html

has an honest review by an owner of both the vehicles and to my mind, it is done simply and from point of view of an average buyer.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:21   #711
Senior - BHPian

My view:

Over priced : it is a personal view, depends on individual affordability

Value for Money : What is the expectation Vs What is available Vs At what price

Both ANHC and Linea are two products from two different companies
they come as their own bundled package including brand name, reliability, performance, features, looks, snob value, pride, reputation, history, freebees etc etc

one needs to compare and decide for oneself on which package is more suitable / liked.

for many people in engaged in this discussion, such a decision is already made, at least for few years it can not be changed. hence discussing it over and over again does not add value

for other potential buyers, once again it is a matter of personal choice. the person who is going to spend 9-11L on a car is generally having good commercial sense and for sure capable of making the decision, which ever choice he makes.

as far as rest who are not considering to buy such a car or not in the circle of influence of people who are considering to buy a cars concerned, such a discussion is a noise, does not add value.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:26   #712

Nice comparision omar1310. One thing you got wrong in the sheet. In Linea, there is a beep for door open, hand brake on, no seat belt, low fuel, speed limit crossed, etc. You mentioned in your comparision that Linea has only for seat belt. The beep will take some time, may be about a few metres of drive or if you are driving and someone opens, then it is immediate.

Also, it can be noted that various lights including head lamp (other than follow me) and cabin lamp are switched off when you lock even if you forget to switch them off.

[EDIT] Please do post regular ownership comparision report after every 10000 Kms or so. People will definitely rate your report much above others mainly because you drive both simultaneously.

Last edited by opendro : 7th October 2009 at 10:34.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:28   #713

This is an awesome comparison !!

The credibility of this pdf is far far higher than any reviews / comparisons published anywhere.

Omar : great work. Thank you very much.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:58   #714
Thumbs up

Good Job Omar.
The best comparison so far...
Old 7th October 2009, 11:11   #715

I would think the segment/type of the car one is interested in and the budget he/she can dispense with will determine the choices one has. So, I am not sure I agree that anyone considering a sedan will also look at hatchbacks at the same price band or if someone is considering Civic/Altis, will be interested in checking out Linea. There could be few exceptions though.

Also, one cannot agree that just because ANHC is priced higher than every other car in its segment, there is no competition and that it belongs to a different segment

Reportedly, in sales, ANHC:Linea is ~4:1 for Sep '09. In the end, wider market acceptance determines the superiority of one car over another.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:11   #716

Great piece of work Omar !! Precise and to the point.

IMO, some ICE features such as auto-volume control and B&M detailing would have had Linea prove to be a more driver enthusiasts car over the ANHC.

Thanks & Cheers, Sam
Old 7th October 2009, 11:12   #717

Really great Comparison,to the point precise and you are the best judge as you own and drive both the cars.Really thanks for the great report.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:23   #718

Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post

Reportedly, in sales, ANHC:Linea is ~4:1 for Sep '09. In the end, wider market acceptance determines the superiority of one car over another.

+1 to this. The market decides which car is superior. In this case Honda City wins hands-down as on date. What lies in the future, no one knows.

I am liking this competition. This will push every manufacturer to do better. This was missing in this segment for a long time now.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:57   #719

Fascinating? Isn't it ?

Some says Poor Plastics, some says cost saving & poor interior quality, some says powertrains. at least on this thread or such threads. Why the biggest point is avoided by most - Lack of trust in the brand. Intrigued by such debates, I asked my 2 colleagues who bought ANHC & asked why not Linea. Just the mention of it one of them made faces, the other guy kind of started sneezing. The 1st response was - A Fiat? (kind of you gonna mad or what?). After this 1st response, while pursued further, both subsequently added reasons to justify/ substantiate like niggles, plastics etc (it was clearly evident they were trying to find & make seemingly subsequent reasons as their main primary reason. May be Sneezing at a brand looks so bad & hence? Don't know but that was the impression got from their body language).

OK. This cost-saving debates always intrigued me. Linea is often targeted for cost saving on plastics & interiors. Lets compare it with other cost-saving items:
  • Automatic Climate Control
  • Alloys
  • Fog Lamps
  • EPS steering instead of HPS
  • Countless small goody goodies items (which actually goes well alogwith 'premium' lable, ironically)
Where the cost is saved more?

Yday, I went thro' Cruze TD thread & a great review by tsk & read about some getting used to is required for clutch. Yday itself on initial ownership report, I stumbled upon a Linea owner's thread who recently bought Linea after being disappointed in 1st TD & after making 2 subsequent TDs. Also someone posted a Linea owner's thread above. All these made me visit few Linea ownership threads. Most of them reported that Linea Clutch play/ throw is much much longer & 1st/ 2nd gears are short so unlike any other cars they've used eariler & it needs some time to get used to it this specific clutch-gear engagements. Once they got used to it, there is no looking back. Almost none has complained about Linea being Underpowered which is so vocally made by others. Surprising that there is such a vast difference between owners' & others' opinions.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:11   #720
Senior - BHPian

Nice detailed comparo, a good guide for those contemplating to buy a Linea / ANHC.

Good work Omar!
Closed Thread