Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12th October 2009, 13:55   #961
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked a friend's Linea(Dynamic) recently, while I was impressed with the space, the feel of the door handles was really bad(compared it with another friend's Punto E pack standing next to it) they almost felt was if they were broken. But otherwise I was impressed by space & over all presence.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:06   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
My friend, take a look at the Linea owner's review threads (especially VahanPujari).

The threads have been quite open and the kind of detail they have shared have been really helpful for many. If they can agree all the niggling issues they have come across, I am sure they would have written about a "Linea is sluggish" too. I see that most owners are quite happy with the way it is.

I myself not an owner of Linea, but have a 3 day experience with it. I would say it is not "Sluggish/under-powered"! And the vehicle I have driven is touch wood. Absolutely no niggling issues. Fiat has addressed all the owner's feedback in the newly manufactured lot!
Power (or the lack thereof) is something that one gets used to very quickly.
I do remember reading somewhere (dont remember whose thread it was) where the owner of Linea admitted that overtaking in 4th or 5th gear on highways needed planning well in advance.

As for the new lot, well, good for Fiat and its prospective customers! Healthy competition is always good for consumers.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:29   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Power (or the lack thereof) is something that one gets used to very quickly.
I do remember reading somewhere (dont remember whose thread it was) where the owner of Linea admitted that overtaking in 4th or 5th gear on highways needed planning well in advance.

As for the new lot, well, good for Fiat and its prospective customers! Healthy competition is always good for consumers.
I am used to the 1.6 Duratec power. Atleast, I dint feel the Linea to be sluggish!

Planning well in advance for 4th/5th overtake attempt!? Must be quite a driver then planning lot of things on the road.

I did 1800 KM through NH & SH and some rough village roads too. The Linea did really well!
Old 12th October 2009, 14:34   #964
BHPian

Quote:
right and it was probably quicker too
just like your linea.
Surely, my old cycle was quicker than your OHC for sure. I used to take 16 mins to my school one way 9Km. I bet your OHC does take more than that time to your work of 9Km. Only thing is that my cycle, your OHC and my Linea are from different generations. Sure, I wouldn't mind accepting a challenge with your 100 horses on a real practical Indian road. Hope this none sense stops in this forum! Ok. I didn't mention another one. It was in the newly constructed multilane highway between Bhavani and Avanashi. I loved the way I teased and shamed that NHC vtec at the speed of 130-150, no traffic, all straight. How many horses does that vtec have? Ok. I think I deserve a ban now from this forum for bragging about my bad speed on road. Somebody mentioned overtaking. Man! I can throw this long car in any small gaps and corner without a sweat. I do drive on a lot of single highway too.

I know what my car lacks. I have posted enough on my ownership thread. The only thing I will fight is the under-performance. I have even spun almost into a 360 degree in a right turn green signal when I was in the front most. In a very steep slope of tarred road, with four adults, the car may not move up because it was so steep, but the wheels wouldn't just stop spinning as I pressed the throttle. You know what I mean?

I'm open to positive criticisms. Say something that would help others understand what two cars would make a difference. I have expressed enough niggles of my Linea. I accept what I need to accept. I too looked at various other cars while I was waiting for Linea. The list includes almost all brands. If you look at ANHC launched thread, you will rightly find my comment that ANHC was trying to convert me into petrol head. That was before I knew that they didn't have tons of other things at that price point.

After that, all I see is hypocritic comments about each other between Linea and ANHC.

Quote:
Yeah it seems in a Linea you need to do all that planning if you want to overtake even a truck

Also came across another Linea owner saying that his Santro was zippier off the block compared to his Linea. And that second gear also needs a lot of work.
Dude. I have driven the Santro too, in fact touched 140 on it in the Krishnagiri Chennai highway. In every curve, it would just slide sideways. Your comments are not funny any longer.

Quote:
@opendro: Dude, you need to learn to drive responsibly first. In your hands, i think even an M800 would look overpowered. I repeat: racing against a car on the open road is no judge of a car's character. There can not be a more misguided way of determining a car's power. I will definitely NOT take up your challenge because i do care a bit about safety of others around me.
Accept that your car does not enough safety and it does not give enough confidence. Or accept the fact that you don't need a bugati here on Indian roads. Stop being hypocrite.

Last edited by opendro : 12th October 2009 at 14:53.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:37   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am used to the 1.6 Duratec power. Atleast, I dint feel the Linea to be sluggish!

Planning well in advance for 4th/5th overtake attempt!? Must be quite a driver then planning lot of things on the road.

I did 1800 KM through NH & SH and some rough village roads too. The Linea did really well!

Yeah it seems in a Linea you need to do all that planning if you want to overtake even a truck

Also came across another Linea owner saying that his Santro was zippier off the block compared to his Linea. And that second gear also needs a lot of work.

Look mate, if you are happy with putting in your 7 to 8 lakhs in a Linea, so be it. If i have to put in that much money into a car, i'd rather put in another couple of lakhs and get a car that has a bigger engine (that too a vtec), more power, better after sales support, equal FE, better looks (subjective ofcourse), more recognised brand name and zero chances of it not starting up in the second week of ownership itself! What i will not do is spend 8 lakhs on a compromise. Period.

@opendro: Dude, you need to learn to drive responsibly first. In your hands, i think even an M800 would look overpowered. I repeat: racing against a car on the open road is no judge of a car's character. There can not be a more misguided way of determining a car's power. I will definitely NOT take up your challenge because i do care a bit about safety of others around me.

Quote:
Dude. I have driven the Santro too, in fact touched 140 on it in the Krishnagiri Chennai highway. In every curve, it would just slide sideways. Your comments are not funny any longer.
I was only citing the experience of another Linea owner. Ofcourse there is nothing funny in a Santro beating a 8 lakh car on the traffic light!!

Last edited by amitoj : 12th October 2009 at 14:50.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:53   #966
Senior - BHPian

Amitoj, you are free to buy whatever a car you like!

But, deriding other cars based on hearsays serves no purpose!
Old 12th October 2009, 15:01   #967
BHPian

Quote:
If you want to plan a lot and make all velocity v/s time calculations you can even do so in a 1.8TSI Laura which flies at the touch of an accelerator.
Theres no way that you have to plan before an overtaking attempt in a Linea, dab in 3rd gear and from 2k rpm to 6k rpm the engine revvs freely and you can overtake cars itself, theres no use making fun of any car.

You are also not in a Ferrari man- its a 10 year old car which has been phased out twice from Indian markets and replaced with a new model.

Quote:
Want to know who is that owner if he is saying this after completing the initial 1000 kms?
I cant digest that on an open stretch a Santro will overtake Linea, have personally driven the 1.4 Linea and a Santro. It takes time to adjust to long clutch ply of fiats to remove that lag in second gear.

Quote:
a bigger engine (that too a vtec), more power, better after sales support, equal FE, better looks (subjective ofcourse), more recognised brand name and zero chances of it not starting up in the second week of ownership itself!
Thats your preferences and not universal preferences dude.
What if i want class leading ride and handling, excellent looks, nice interiors, feature laden car, solid build (talking of sheet metal) and cheap spare and serviec cost+ visiting service centre once a year to have scheduled services.

Linea is also selling around 1000 cars regularly from Jan itself and there must be something in the car which is making people buy it despite the reputation what fiat has otherwise everyone can head to resale market and get a OHC or NHC.

Its all about your "Preferences", useless to debate about it. A fiesta owners wants "awesome pickup of City" + "handling like a Linea" and he compromises on other things.

Quote:
@opendroThere can not be a more misguided way of determining a car's power. I will definitely NOT take up your challenge because i do care a bit about safety of others around me.
Wont comment on challenges thrown at each other here. Car is a package- its like mandatory for C seg cars. Out of 7 parameters you would get to choose only 4 now what 4 you choose becomes your car. If you choose Car A, it doesnt mean Car B and Car C are a mere waste.

Last edited by Raj2402 : 12th October 2009 at 15:19.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:02   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Accept that your car does not enough safety and it does not give enough confidence. Or accept the fact that you don't need a bugati here on Indian roads. Stop being hypocrite.
Wo wo wo. No need to get personal here! Jeeze i didnt know saying anything against Linea meant being a hypocrite!!

To me, Linea will remain underpowered until they give that 1.6L engine in it. You got a problem with that? Take it up with Fiat. Calling me names will not get you anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Amitoj, you are free to buy whatever a car you like!

But, deriding other cars based on hearsays serves no purpose!
Thanks for the permission Sire! My comments were based only on what i read in Linea ownership threads, from the owners themselves.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:05   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My comments were based only on what i read in Linea ownership threads, from the owners themselves.
Pls show me the Ownership thread which says Linea is underpowered?
Old 12th October 2009, 15:08   #970
BHPian

Since the comparison is between Petrol variants, The City would be my choice, hands down. My driving is 95% city driving in traffic where you don't even reach 80 forget 180. Very rarely do you get to cross even 120kmph, even at night. Plus the light steering, easy manouvreability & smooth engine works for me. If you drive a lot in the City, you need a car which can be driven with ease, good turning radius, etc. After all, how many of us regularly drive above 150kmph, for a few seconds maybe? Even on the Expressway, due to the absence of Tarmac, we avoid going over 130-140, infact maintain 120kmph. With good A.S.S., performance, reliability, repeatability by users and their trust in Product City for over 10 years there is no other option other than the City according to my liking. We have to wait and watch how Fiat resurrects their image & get us more powerful engines in the future. With the positive feedback given by users on this forum, i hope they maintain a good share of the market in the years to come. Though a tough task, its not impossible.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:11   #971
BHPian

drkunaldas ( ABS problem), Raghuvansh ( Vibrations) Sandeep mishra and dr_chill ( unusual voltage fluctuations and suspension), bobster( suspension), senhyd ( rusted safety bars) niteshkant ( electricals), Guna ( multiple niggles). I am not talking about Linea owners but the few ANHC owners with threads on the forum. So the ANHC is niggle free!

There is enough negative feedback of various Honda dealers posted besides my own less-than-happy experience with Honda dealers. And yet they have supposedly "better" after sales support.

Most of the threads on ANHC show city mileage of between 9 and 11. This is no different than Linea mileage. And yet ANHC is perceived as having better FE.

Conclusion: perception is what counts and Honda have done a great job with their marketing and made the H badge worth some money. A lot of this perception is based on the OHC which was ( and is ) a great car. Sensibly, they replaced the very ordinary NHC with the ANHC. (And need I say increased their price)

I do not think any Linea has not started up in the second week of ownership. There are also no Linea owners wishing they had ACC or cribbing about their puny tires/wheels (add 30/40/50K)or inadequate headlights.

Buying a Linea is no more a compromise than buying any other car. When you buy an ANHC, you are compromising on a host of goodies, not to mention ride and handling, and IMO styling/looks.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:14   #972
Team-BHP Support

Guys can we have more realistic comparison about the cars than purely by certain other "human influences' in here?!

I suggest Honda fans to head to Fiat showroom and try a test drives and Fiat guys to head to the closest Honda showrooms. Take a test drive, its free and then debate. Mine is better than yours, is really not helping the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
drkunaldas ( ABS problem), Raghuvansh ( Vibrations) Sandeep mishra and dr_chill ( unusual voltage fluctuations and suspension), bobster( suspension), senhyd ( rusted safety bars) niteshkant ( electricals), Guna ( multiple niggles). I am not talking about Linea owners but the few ANHC owners with threads on the forum. So the ANHC is niggle free!
This was indeed shocking, will go through the thread when i get lil more time, thanks Pragmites.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th October 2009 at 15:18.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:20   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Pls show me the Ownership thread which says Linea is underpowered?
Look up achinthg's ownership thread. The comparison with Santro is from there.

Quote:

There is enough negative feedback of various Honda dealers posted besides my own less-than-happy experience with Honda dealers. And yet they have supposedly "better" after sales support.

Most of the threads on ANHC show city mileage of between 9 and 11. This is no different than Linea mileage. And yet ANHC is perceived as having better FE.

Conclusion: perception is what counts and Honda have done a great job with their marketing and made the H badge worth some money. A lot of this perception is based on the OHC which was ( and is ) a great car. Sensibly, they replaced the very ordinary NHC with the ANHC. (And need I say increased their price)

I do not think any Linea has not started up in the second week of ownership. There are also no Linea owners wishing they had ACC or cribbing about their puny tires/wheels (add 30/40/50K)or inadequate headlights.

Buying a Linea is no more a compromise than buying any other car. When you buy an ANHC, you are compromising on a host of goodies, not to mention ride and handling, and IMO styling/looks.
Whitefield Honda (or was it Dakshin?) replaced a customer's car when it got damaged during floods. Ofcourse, the car was parked at their premises. But the speed with which they resolved the issue shows a certain amount of professionalism.

Just go back one page on this thread itself. you will come across a linea not starting in second week itself.

ANHC with a bigger engine gives same mileage as Linea.

Linea is a compromise for me because for me engine is the most important part of a car, not gizmos.

Last edited by amitoj : 12th October 2009 at 15:21.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:20   #974
BHPian

Quote:
I do not think any Linea has not started up in the second week of ownership.
Just go back a page or two and there is one such incident reported.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:23   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ANHC with a bigger engine gives same mileage as Linea.
And the Fiesta 1.6 with the biggest of the engines gives even better mileage. But what would that prove?
Closed Thread