Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12th October 2009, 16:21   #991
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, first and foremost, please quit talking about "I overtook someone at 140 kph. Not only is that adding zero value to the discussion, but we do not permit such posts on Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Pls show me the Ownership thread which says Linea is underpowered?
Forget under-powered, I wont even say my Indigo is underpowered because the TDi does what it is supposed to. Read = Can do the job. I drove the GP over 600 kms and thoroughly enjoyed working the engine. So no one is denying that the car will get you from pt. A to pt. B. That said, it is slow by C segment standards. Hey, theres stats to prove the same.

Also, the C segment is more than just doing a job. In terms of acceleration, midrange or top speed, fact is, the Linea is the slowest. Its about time you accept that. Lets leave the segment-fastest ANHC out of the picture, the Linea is also slower than the SX4, Verna, Fiesta and even the Dzire which is from a segment lower. Heck, there are some 5 lakh rupee hatchbacks which are quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I have had enough of this 15 second thing about Linea. And I had defended enough in the past. Honestly, I have seen quite enough ANHC and others in city, Bangalore's famous ring roads
The ANHC actually is far better to drive in the City than the Linea. That counts, as 90% of the time, 90% of urban car owners are driving in the city:

- Lighter steering wheel
- Better gearshift quality
- Smaller turning radius
- More power always helps, especially on inclines, closing that gap etc.
- And despite more power, 1.xx kpl more in fuel efficiency!

Quote:
Anyways, I'm also trying out Race Dynamics to better power power band.
Awesome! Now there's a start. Do update us with the performance and, if possible, improved times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
A friend of mine took delivery of a Linea 1.4 Petrol Emotion last Sunday. Yesterday he had to go out for some work. The car refused to start. Even this morning it was not starting. Hes actually clueless as to whats happening. The service guy should be visiting him today to find out what the problem is. A brand new week old Linea refusing to start?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
its funny - i had the same trouble with my Palio after two weeks of my purchase in 2002.
Ouch, hope things get sorted out for your friend Dippy. Do update us with the source of the problem once you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Voted for the Honda City amongst the choices. Though I still feel my nearly 5 year old Petra is better than the two. The Fiesta should have been present as well.
The Petra WAS A HECK OF A CAR. Especially at the pricing Fiat offered it at. 100 BHP + great poise for 5 lakh rupees. Now that's the kind of performance that Fiat should target, instead of selling slowest-in-segment cars.

I remember putting up a test report of the car. Here it is (Fiat Petra Test-Drive report).

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Linea inspite of being 150 kgs heaviers gives the same mileage.
Actually its not the same. Look up our averaged figures or that of ACI. Its simple physics at the end of the day! The Linea is a heavier car, and the 1.4 needs to be WORKED to perform. Both of these are factors that work against fuel efficiency. In a Punto, I used up the entire tank in 300 odd kms. Even check out ARAI figures which rank the petrol Fiat at the bottom of the scale.

ANHC owners get best in class performance and best in class fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
By the same token, Honda is a compromise for others who like ride/handling/gizmos/Italian styling
No car is perfect, as has been discussed extensively before. Every car has pros and every car has cons. What counts is, which car is meeting MOST needs for MOST customers. The sales charts clearly show what the market's choice is.

Quote:
- Performance : City > SX4 > Verna > Linea

- Fuel efficiency : City > SX4 > Linea > Verna

- Ride quality : Linea > City > Verna > SX4

- Handling : Linea > SX4 > City > Verna

- Interior space : City > Verna > SX4 > Linea

- Looks : Linea > City > SX4 > Verna (purely my opinion)

- Overall Fit / Finish : City > Verna > SX4 > Linea

- Features : Linea > SX4 > City > Verna

- Brand (for those whom it matters to) : City > SX4 > Verna > Linea

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2009 at 16:24.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:23   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post

Quite possible on a bad road. Esteem's suspension is no match for Linea's, and a sane drive won't go beyond a point on a road rash, just to prove a point.
Exactly, My point was that the car disappeared pretty quickly. It's a reflection of it's performance, ride and handling.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:28   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj2402 View Post
, will visit your thread shortly today itself. Its the reaffirming from you Linea owners which has made my belief strong in buying a Linea. Lets see how tings progress.

Oh great. How was the engine note at that speed. Max i did with my friend on 4 lane highway was a mere 150 against speed you recorded and there was a nice "hum" from the engine. Take the RPM to 5k and what a racing note the car produces.. The handling is good but i never thought that 180 also the driver wont be at the edge of the seat. Thats super stuff.
IF i am right, you also own a anhc na? Whats the max you took anhc to. Would you mind if i PM you regarding any doubt related to my confusion between a anhc or Linea.
Hi! Not yet done beyond 120 in the ANHC. Never got a chance actually. But, at 120, the car was reminding me that, I am going fast. The engine was not noisy at all at 180kmph. It was effortless, though it took a while to reach 180kmph. I felt, it could have touched 200kmph had a I conntinued, but the tyre specifications in Linea is upto 190 or 195 kmph. Hence, refrained.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:35   #994
Senior - BHPian

somehow, this thread has been reduced to merely comparing performance of the two cars. a car is much more than mere 0-100 figures or top whack or roll on times. you need to evaluate the complete package.

IMHO, where the linea scores is:

Styling(subjective), road presence, build quality, equipment, ride and handling, comfort, ability to sustain higer speeds over more road conditions and VFM.

where the City scores is:
Brand Value, engine, higer resale value (going by precedents), FE

A.S.S. is more or less the same for both these cars.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what factors a buyer gives preference to in his/her cars- heck- no car is perfect. When i was out shopping for a sedan, the only reason I picked up the SX4 was that it was the best compromise available. It was by no means perfect....

just my two cents....
Old 12th October 2009, 16:38   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, the C segment is more than just doing a job. In terms of acceleration, midrange or top speed, fact is, the Linea is the slowest. Its about time you accept that.
GTO,
Well i have accepted one fact that in a straightline race, Linea may not win against other C seg cars. What is still unclear is in on a normal typical Indian roads with patches and broken roads, what will happen?
If am trailing a Fiesta 1.6 on a highway, we both brake to 60 from a 100. He gets back to 120 2-3 seconds before me, does it really matter. On indian highways, whatever time you make up driving fast is always lost behind the trucks or police barricading roads to get bribe from truckers.

Quote:
The ANHC actually is far better to drive in the City than the Linea. That counts, as 90% of the time, 90% of urban car owners are driving in the city:
I wanna have a C seg car for 90% highway use (have a Scorpio for city), would it do good to choose a Linea over anhc as for highway manners and safety reasons i regard Linea higher.

Quote:
Ouch, hope things get sorted out for your friend Dippy. Do update us with the source of the problem once you know.
Dippy, Sorry i didnt knew you were a moderator. Hope the local TASS guys can solve the issue.

Quote:
The Linea is a heavier car, and the 1.4 needs to be WORKED to perform. Both of these are factors that work against fuel efficiency.
The explanation seems right but practically on the forum, the Linea and anhc give exactly similar FE's ranging around 11-12 kmpl in city.

In your comparison chart, why have you rated Linea below SX4 in terms of FE. SX4 basically gets around 9-11 in city and 13-14 in highways whereas Linea 1.4 manages much better figures on highway around 14-15. One man got even 22 kmpl but leave that as one off case for driving sedately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar1310
Hi! Not yet done beyond 120 in the ANHC. Never got a chance actually. But, at 120, the car was reminding me that, I am going fast. The engine was not noisy at all at 180kmph. It was effortless, though it took a while to reach 180kmph. I felt, it could have touched 200kmph had a I conntinued, but the tyre specifications in Linea is upto 190 or 195 kmph. Hence, refrained.
If am not wrong then anhc must have the 175 tyres and Linea 195 which already gives a +1 to Linea in stability department. Taking time to reach 180 is acceptable as its still a 1.4L engine pumping 90bhp. So you werent confident at 120+ in ANHC, if given a chance will you take it to 180 too? Hmm, maybe a tyre upgrade can help to an extent in case of anhc. 120+ is nothing if given a good 6 lane highway, even at 100-110 in Scorpio, countless times i get overtaken but i cant do much in that car.

Last edited by Raj2402 : 12th October 2009 at 16:43.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:44   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
LOL. You and i both know where skoda stands in its after sales support w.r.t. any other car company in India. So, lets be reasonable. alrite?
Well ironically this is exactly what I wanted to say. If the low rated Skoda service replaced the car, why are we making such a hue and cry over a replacement which was carried out when the car was damaged at the dealer's premises.

Quote:
Ofcourse. You'd think thats the first thing FIAT service guys would check for after hooking the car up for diagnosis! For FIAT's sake, i hope it doesnt turn out to be no petrol!! It would be pretty shameful for FIAT if it took their engineers one whole day to find that as the root problem!
I only suggested that it may turn out to be a trivial issue. Lets get the complete picture before we jump the gun.

Quote:
I didnt make any deriding comments. Whatever i said was based on Linea owners' comments. Its amazing how the fiat fanboys resort to namecalling once fiat's shortcomings are pointed out by someone else! Its like, "Since i own a fiat, only i can talk about its shortcomings". Ridiculous, i say!
And the conviction with which you said "overtakings needs to be planned well in advance" even though you have never driven the car is sane! Nice!
There are actual owners who are saying that the car is adequately powered for both the city and highways runs while the non-owners who have never driven the car say its bad... now this is ridiculous!

Quote:
hahahaha. thats a good one.
I salute your sense of humour!
Old 12th October 2009, 16:45   #997
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The explanation seems right but practically on the forum, the Linea and anhc give exactly similar FE's ranging around 11-12 kmpl in city.
Neither is the same tested in scientific conditions, nor does any owner have the same driving style as somebody else. If a Linea owner gets 11 kpl in a certain situation / driving style, fact is the ANHC would have given him 12.5 at the same time. Its lighter, has better engine technology and really does not need to be worked to perform. Its basic physics.

In all formal test conditions, teh ANHC has proven more FE than the Linea. Whether ours (averaged), or ARAI or even ACI.

Quote:
There are actual owners who are saying that the car is adequately powered for both the city and highways runs while the non-owners who have never driven the car say its bad... now this is ridiculous!
Xtremetorque, I don't need to own a car to know that its the slowest in segment. A simple testdrive is enough, and I've got 100s of kms on the engines being discussed.

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2009 at 16:47.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:54   #998
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

What we are up to? Deciding on a VFM car or Powerful, track car?? The VFM factor itself is a perspective of a buyer, we can never label Linea or ANHC as VFM as generic. To some Linea 1.4 engine is a pain and for some not having alloys and ACC after paying close to 10L is pain. To each its own.

When the Linea with 1.4TJet will be lauched and by chance it eats ANHC at performance, then we will cry about Linea plastics and A** to justify the decision to buy ANHC. This never gonna stop.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:57   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys,

What we are up to? Deciding on a VFM car or Powerful, track car?? The VFM factor itself is a perspective of a buyer, we can never label Linea or ANHC as VFM as generic. To some Linea 1.4 engine is a pain and for some not having alloys and ACC after paying close to 10L is pain. To each its own.
+1 to that. Let the sales figures do the talking, not us.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:07   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Xtremetorque, I don't need to own a car to know that its the slowest in segment. A simple testdrive is enough, and I've got 100s of kms on the engines being discussed.
Neither are the owners. Its slow compared to the City but my reponse was to the comment "overtakings need to be planned well in advance" to which owners themselves have clarified.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:21   #1001
Team-BHP Support

Gents,

Whatever had to be said has been said. I think its about time this thread comes to a close.

cya
R
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:06   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda City v Fiat Linea

I am looking for a sedan in the Rs 10 lakh category. Classic case of head v heart, but as much as I would love to go back to Fiat, my head directs me to the Honda.

No other make/model is in question.

I would appreciate knowledgeable input, ranking each car on a 1 to 10 relative to each other scale, 10 being excellent, for the following criteria that are the only ones that matter to me.

1. Fit/finish
2. Current after sales support quality in Pune, or like cities.
3. Highway handling,ride and drive train performance.
4. AC effectiveness.
5. OE sound system quality.
6. Usable boot space.
7. Engine performance - drivability in town.
8. Turning circle.
9. Front seat comfort.
10. Glitch free for 4 years.
11. Ground clearance.

As stated, head says the Honda, but I am to still decide.

The Linea would be the top line diesel, since the turbo petrol isn't available any more.

Much obliged for any feedback.

Last edited by Sawyer : 2nd May 2013 at 10:10.
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:25   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda City v Fiat Linea

Linea Tjet- Turbo Petrol is going to be launched again pretty soon,infact anytime now,so i would suggest that you wait before taking the plunge.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:04   #1004
Senior - BHPian

That is good to know, but the assessment needs still stand. And my spend is a couple of months away. Also, is there any news about the City refresh - going on to 4 years now, the current model?
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:10   #1005
Senior - BHPian

If you are going for a petrol sedan then Honda City gives you best bang for your buck in this segment. But if you want the added economy of a diesel then the VW Vento is the better bet. And both come at a similar price for their top levels of around 10.5L onroad.
Closed Thread