Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st January 2009, 15:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Tata Motors starts programme to target used car market

Mumbai: Tata Motors has commenced its certified pre-owned car programme, ‘Tata Motors Assured’ that has been launched on a pilot basis through 15 dealers in 10 major cities across India. The cities are Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Ludhiana and Vapi.

The programme will be subsequently offered across the country through the Tata Motors dealer network in a phased manner.

"Tata Motors Assured’ pre-owned car programme has been conceived to provide convenience of a one-stop solution to customers willing to exchange their existing cars for new Tata cars. Besides, it also offers an array of reliable and high quality certified pre-owned Tata cars which will come with one year/ 20000 km extended warranty and three free services," said S Krishnan, vice-president -commercial, passenger car business unit, Tata Motors.

The Indian used car market is in a nascent stage and dominated by the unorganised sector.

Quality and reliability of pre-owned cars available through the unorganised sector is often not up to the mark.

The ‘Tata Motors Assured’ certified pre-owned car programme will offer a choice of reliable and certified pre-owned Tata cars to the customer. ‘Tata Motors Assured’ certified pre-owned cars will be refurbished in Tata Motors authorised dealer’s workshops using Tata genuine spares by skilled and trained technicians.

Each ‘Tata Motors Assured’ certified pre-owned car will undergo inspection by Tata Motors engineers as per a structured quality check list and come with a certification from ‘Tata Motors Assured’.

The ‘Tata Motors Assured’ certified pre-owned cars will be less than 5 years old, non accidental and with not more than two owners. ‘Tata Motors Assured’ certified pre-owned cars will come with a 1 year/ 20000 km extended warranty.

Additionally, three free services will be offered to customers as a part of the certification package. The extended warranty and free service facility will be available pan India across the extensive service network of Tata Motors dealerships and select Tata Motors authorised service centres. Customers can now have a very convenient and safe option of buying and selling Tata cars and UVs at ‘Tata Motors Assured’ dealerships.

Source
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 15:52   #2
BHPian

Concorde are already selling pre-owned Tata cars.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 15:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can TATA certify its own cars based on "reliability" parameter?
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 16:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

good timing - in these times of slowdown, this would probably help TATA MOTORS dealers to have another source of income ( by selling used cars )

also - typically these are ways used by manufacturers to control/influence the overall used car prices for their brand of cars which in turn helps their new car sales also.

i wonder whether this covers FIAT cars also ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 16:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
If Maruti can do a "True Value" then why not Tata?
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 16:08   #6
BANNED

Welcome move but why does everybody starting a used car network have to say the same things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The Indian used car market is in a nascent stage and dominated by the unorganised sector.

Quality and reliability of pre-owned cars available through the unorganised sector is often not up to the mark.

The ‘XYZ’ certified pre-owned car programme will offer a choice of reliable and certified pre-owned XYZ cars to the customer. ‘XYZ Motors Assured’ certified pre-owned cars will be refurbished in XYZ authorised dealer’s workshops using XYZ genuine spares by skilled and trained technicians.
Replace XYZ with your favourite manufacturer and you'll see what I'm saying.

Their stringent criteria (< 5 years) mean they will not buy my Indica from me

Last edited by hrag : 21st January 2009 at 16:09.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 16:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
If Maruti can do a "True Value" then why not Tata?
Maruti cars are certainly more reliable than a TATA Indica. If you are taking into consideration "rattling", then Maruti wins again!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 16:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
They ll consider non-reliability as a feature and sell the used cars !!

Quote:
Maruti cars are certainly more reliable than a TATA Indica. If you are taking into consideration "rattling", then Maruti wins again!
Definately .. but i think tata will slowly start selling all brands used cars like mahindra does .. I personally dont believe in any of these supposedly stringent tests by dealer! all crap
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 17:13   #9
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Lets not get into this discussion again. We have beaten this to death in any Tata Motors related thread and I am sure that at the end of the day we will only agree to disagree.

Lets stick to the point which I think is a welcome move. More liquidity in the market, more options for customers, more replacements and consequently more new vehicle sales.

Unfortunately my Indica won't get sold due to a real bad accident
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 17:18   #10
BHPian

Four years back when I tried to trade in my pre-V2 Indica, even Tata Motors wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, like many others including Hyundai. Maruti was much more receptive. They bought it and assumed responsibility for the car from the moment I gave it to them, unlike others who take a month to transfer the car to some other owner.

I hope Tata Motors will have the same amount of transparency and professionalism now towards resale cars. Good move!

Pradeep
pradkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 17:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes, its nice move with a good warranty cover, but due to the overall quality of their products, I doubt that they will have a good business. Add to that a poor dealership experience and overall, the quality will be less as compared to that offered by competition.
I think that this move is a result of slowdown to protect the dealers, nothing more.
They have to get better from the core or else, these moves wont help their business.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 18:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

I had visited all the known (to me) True Value shops in Ernakulam few months back, and they had cars under "True Value" scheme and "not under true value" scheme. Cars under TV had a sticker / poster with details like prices, model, kms done, etc. on the wind screen.

All the deals gave me the impression that the prices are artificially inflated.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:59   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

About time. No big brand can afford to ignore the used market. Most cases, fatter margins than that on new cars. And better volumes too!

[quote=dadu;1139631Besides, it also offers an array of reliable and high quality certified pre-owned Tata cars which will come with one year/ 20000 km extended warranty and three free services[/quote]

Quote:
Going to cost them big money. My 2 year old Indigo recently went in for a 20,000 kms service at a Tata-owned workshop. Warranty work:

- Air-con switch
- Radiator leak
- Rear wheel bearing
- Rear dampers
- Wiper washer

This in a car that was bought brand new! God help them with offering a 20K warranty on an Indica that has a 60K odo. Either that, or the terms will silently read "Warranty only on engine & transmission".

Quote:
The ‘Tata Motors Assured’ certified pre-owned cars will be less than 5 years old, non accidental and with not more than two owners. ‘Tata Motors Assured’ certified pre-owned cars will come with a 1 year/ 20000 km extended warranty.
Tall order and I don't expect the current breed of Tata dealers to stick to this. After all, it is them who have to adhere to these policies. Something like "accident free" is ignored by even Maruti truevalue.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

I believe TATA is the last entrant to this market or do we have any other Indian player left out ??

EDIT: I believe Toyota isn't IN till yet !!
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote