Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 14:30   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

This is shocking, but not that shocking since we know about Skoda. I feel sorry for the new Superb owners who are going to get systematically ripped off over the years.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:33   #122
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Think about this. The flywheel (or any part for that matter) wasn't even damaged. So they replace it. And kaboom! here is a new business plan to sell "used but work like new" spare parts for Skoda India
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:52   #123
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,151
Thanked: 2,450 Times
Default

For those with a question mark about the Skoda Laura Flywheel pricing
replacement.

It is currently Rs. 36,000 + Rs. 4000 labour including taxes.

The Skoda Laura flywheels earlier costed close to 60K+ and these are revised reduced prices.

The International prices are similar.

The Skoda Laura comes with a dual mass flywheel that is supposed to reduce the vibrations from the clutch to the body and engine. The Dual mass flywheel from VW group is also used in the Passat, Jetta & Audi's and is equally or more expensive from these brands.

Skoda has also given an option of Single mass flywheel for maual cars as a replacement and this cost less than half the cost of the Dual mass flywheels.

Yes DMF is much more expensive than SMF but also give much lesser noise and vibrations, but if one wishes to save on cost than SMF can be used when replacement is required. It also is reported that SMF has longer life. A DMF is known to pack up in about 50-60K kms.

Cost of Skoda DMF (actually the VW part itself) is kept at lowest among all DMF cars in India.

Mine is due for a change it is currently at 65,000 kms have an appointment for next week. Used car with gradually increasing DMF noise and vibrations for last 5000 kms.

Nope I dont work for Skoda nor am I a skoda fan, but am a skoda user.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 22:42   #124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It is currently Rs. 36,000 + Rs. 4000 labour including taxes.

Cost of Skoda DMF (actually the VW part itself) is kept at lowest among all DMF cars in India.
Not really...a DMF for the Mondeo costs only Rs.22K.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 09:29   #125
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,151
Thanked: 2,450 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Not really...a DMF for the Mondeo costs only Rs.22K.

Oops I didn't think of the mondeo.

On a lighter note - meant currently selling cars. But seriously you are right about the Mondeo DMF.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 09:30   #126
BHPian
 
drchernish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: kanpur
Posts: 417
Thanked: 60 Times
Default khanna hyundai +++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This was the Shastri Nagar workshop of Khanna Hyundai. On my advice the colleague had talked to Mr Kailash Khanna when he went there the second time.
I am also very highly impressed with this dealership ie service centre.i have had numerous problems solved by Mr. Akhilesh Kushwaha Service Manager whenever i have approached him and i highly rate their service centre.infact I bought Verna vgt just because it was a hyundai and was going to be serviced by them.
drchernish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 11:41   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 961 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
It's a suicide mission. Extra income is great but wouldn't all this affect their reliablity standing's in the owner's eyes? If the owner is asked about the car, he wouldn't give it his complete 100% endorsement. A smart businessman wouldn't take such risks in the interest of long term business sustainablity, reputation, goodwill and profitablity.
Unfortunately till the buyer is like an ostrich, the owner of such a concern will keep minting.

A smart owner will realize this and cash on it.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th September 2009 at 11:42.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 17:19   #128
BHPian
 
bhunu AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 90
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

finally..what happened...really interested to know because got an offer for 2006laura l@k driven 80k for 8.5lakhs in coimbatore..any suggestion
bhunu AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:53   #129
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 32 Times
Default [Laura Flywheel]: Re: Defective Skoda Laura? Nope, defective dealer!

Dear @ACM,

My Laura ( Manual) DMF seems to be running last days. There is inconsistence kat kat noice from the Flywheel at idling, which I understand shows the play in flywheel much greater than the 10 mm play tolerance. The car has run 75 K KM and the noise is coming since last 3 - 4 thousand KM. Earlier the noise was only at cold start, now it happens all the time at idle.

Got it checked today. Price quoted 12,000/- for Flywheel (Forgot to check whether it is SMF or DMF). I am thinking to drive for another few thousand KM and then will do the Flywheel and Clutch at the same time. However the Clutch does not have any sign of wear yet.

Total cost quoted to me (Flywheel with Clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and labour) is around 44 thousands rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
For those with a question mark about the Skoda Laura Flywheel pricing
replacement.

It is currently Rs. 36,000 + Rs. 4000 labour including taxes.

The Skoda Laura flywheels earlier costed close to 60K+ and these are revised reduced prices.

The International prices are similar.

The Skoda Laura comes with a dual mass flywheel that is supposed to reduce the vibrations from the clutch to the body and engine. The Dual mass flywheel from VW group is also used in the Passat, Jetta & Audi's and is equally or more expensive from these brands.

Skoda has also given an option of Single mass flywheel for maual cars as a replacement and this cost less than half the cost of the Dual mass flywheels.

Yes DMF is much more expensive than SMF but also give much lesser noise and vibrations, but if one wishes to save on cost than SMF can be used when replacement is required. It also is reported that SMF has longer life. A DMF is known to pack up in about 50-60K kms.

Cost of Skoda DMF (actually the VW part itself) is kept at lowest among all DMF cars in India.

Mine is due for a change it is currently at 65,000 kms have an appointment for next week. Used car with gradually increasing DMF noise and vibrations for last 5000 kms.

Nope I dont work for Skoda nor am I a skoda fan, but am a skoda user.
vipul_bscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 11:14   #130
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,151
Thanked: 2,450 Times
Default Re: [Laura Flywheel]: Re: Defective Skoda Laura? Nope, defective dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity View Post
Dear @ACM,

My Laura ( Manual) DMF seems to be running last days. There is inconsistence kat kat noice from the Flywheel at idling, which I understand shows the play in flywheel much greater than the 10 mm play tolerance. The car has run 75 K KM and the noise is coming since last 3 - 4 thousand KM. Earlier the noise was only at cold start, now it happens all the time at idle.

Got it checked today. Price quoted 12,000/- for Flywheel (Forgot to check whether it is SMF or DMF). I am thinking to drive for another few thousand KM and then will do the Flywheel and Clutch at the same time. However the Clutch does not have any sign of wear yet.

Total cost quoted to me (Flywheel with Clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and labour) is around 44 thousands rs.

Sorry about the late response. Prices quoted seem to be correct for the authorized center. Your usage of 75k does seem to indicate that all three parts would be due for replacement by now. You would get a 2 year warranty on these parts as per their new policy (though how they factor for clutch usage in a manual I am not aware of). Get the flywheel replaced if the clutch / pressure plate is due they would anyways replace that as well. No point in dragging the issue.

If it fails while on the drive you may have to also pay for getting the car towed to the centre.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 11:58   #131
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Defective Skoda Laura? Nope, defective dealer!

Yea, Thanks @ACM. I am intending to do this on my 85K KM service. I wont wait till 85, its 75 plus now, I will drive another may by 5K KM, all local, then go for the Flywheel change. I will also do the timing belt (kit) change which they have quoted around 17,000 / - (including labour).

Big question, my clutch is going strong now (touch wood) by all means, if it still go good till 80 K KM when I go to Flywheel and timing, should I change the Clutch (set me back by 30,000 minimum) or just do the Flywheel and drive more till the clutch packs up.

I only have to trade up the labour cost and time, again for Clutch replacement, which may again be around 4000/- . Confusion
vipul_bscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 12:05   #132
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,151
Thanked: 2,450 Times
Default Re: Defective Skoda Laura? Nope, defective dealer!

Vipul is the clutch has not been changed even once till date then do get it changed along with the flywheel. If the flywheel is causing vibrations then typically it will increase substantially well before you do another 5K kms and you are likely to go for the change earlier itself.

Timing belt change price quoted also seems fine and do get it done latest when due as per the manual or ideally even 10% before time, it is a major thing if the timing belt goes while the car is in motion.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 22:30   #133
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eranakulam
Posts: 208
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Defective Skoda Laura? Nope, defective dealer!

ACM,

Can you help me regarding my query here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2423771
Games Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 10:54   #134
BHPian
 
srikanthpotluri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 369
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Defective Skoda Laura? Nope, defective dealer!

My ex-boss messaged me last night, he uses Laura L&K Automatic. Need help -

Chennai and Bangalore dealers are quoting 56k + labour.
1) I want to know where to buy in Chennai for less.
2) If there is no reference of a place in Chennai, next best would be if someone can tell me where.which website will tell me the exact part number so I can get the part from Dubai
Thanks in advance
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 17:16   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Defective Skoda Laura? Nope, defective dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Chennai and Bangalore dealers are quoting 56k + labour.
For what?
I guess you missed typing the issue here.
Nevertheless, I ll help you, once I know what help is required.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SKODA again !!! Court orders compensation for owner of defective Fabia arin_12 The Indian Car Scene 28 4th January 2012 20:20
Skoda Laura L&K - Dealer service or Mobil Care service? DilPat Technical Stuff 5 4th June 2010 17:16
Skoda Laura Ambiente-cheaper Laura deuce-deuce The Indian Car Scene 94 11th July 2008 06:53
Corolla? Nope...Innova! GTO The Indian Car Scene 77 14th July 2007 14:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks