Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th January 2009, 20:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Swift is not near to Zen in FE and weight. Here is where the A-star comes in. A-star has good FE as compared to Swift and is comparable to Zen and the Kerb weight is not above 1 ton mark. Again the kerb weight is relatively less and the engine is nice one.
Absolutely, the Swift P has poor mileage compared to the Zen. But also consider that its 1000+kgs and has a 1.3 engine, the FE is not that bad when compared to Getz 1.3 (FE figures acording to ACI. I neither own a Swift P nor the Setz 1.3).
The Zen was supposed to give good mileage due to its light body.

Quote:
So A-star and Zen have the common points : Free revving engine, FTD factor, cramped rear, small boot, etc. + FE and less weight.

Uncommon points between Zen and A-star : Safety. A-star is better here.
Of course, safety-wise A-star is better. But FTD-wise, the Swift P is better than the A-star.
One more common factor among all these three is lack of low-end grunt .

Quote:
So now IMO, a-star fits the bill " Zen Successor " better than Swift.
Also the internet surfing suggests that A-star interior feels better built than Swift ( I am talking with respect to rattles ), so this again is common with Zen.
I think its too early to determine the rattles-factor. Rattles is a common factor among Maruti cars. Zen had it too, but not much.
But, somehow, somewhere, the A-star lacks the feel of a Zen. I can't explain how. Just my opinion.
A-star is definitely better built. The A-star doors feel chunky for that size and its better built when compared to Zen, W-R, Estilo. Not to be compared to the european counterparts though.

Thats why in my previous posts, I had said about Swift:
Quote:
Its a "grown-up" version of the Zen.
and
Quote:
A-star is a car that is built on the Swift attributes.
So, A-star kind of plugs the big gap between the Zen and the Swift!
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 20:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Can you please enlighten us on this piece of information.
Thats right.
Maruti Swift
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 11:39   #33
BHPian

hey guys,
just a few words. firstly i made the comparison because i felt that the A-star if powered right would fit the suit discarded by the old zen perfectly. other than that the looks kinda grow on you. By the way i don't read BS Motoring and no this is not a promotional marketing strategy. I'm just a guy who likes quick and chuckable hatchbacks. And another point as i had mentioned in the initial post, a few specs could be off the mark so excuse me for that.
riziali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 19:01   #34
BHPian

just added a very subtle body lowering kit to the earlier image. minor difference all around, but adds to the bigger picture i guess
Attached Images

riziali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:16   #35
BHPian

I have a 2001 Zen LX, and my landlord has a spanking new red A-Star. He bought it the very day it was released. I dropped him at the airport one night recently (he couldn't get a cab!) in his A-Star and was stunned at how well it responded compared to the Zen I'm used to driving.

I revved it a bit, and easily hit 70 kmph in 2nd gear, 100 in 3rd, 120 in 4th... and then I ran out of road each time. In my Zen I would have hit those speeds one gear higher each time!

I know the old Zen has a great reputation, but I feel it may be overtinged with nostalgia. Honestly, it was only when driving the A-Star that I felt the terms 'zippy' and 'fun to drive' were actually applicable. The Zen loses all its zippiness when the a/c is on.

Disclaimer: I haven't ever driven a Swift; I hear the petrol version is lovely to drive.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:05   #36
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki A-star breaks own record of fuel efficiency, achieves whopping top mileage of 39.4 kms per litre

New Delhi, 16 March, 2009: India's most fuel efficient car, the Maruti Suzuki A-star proved its supremacy once again by achieving a spectacular top mileage of 39.48 kilometers per litre (kmpl) in a fuel efficiency rally in Mumbai yesterday. In a similar mileage rally at Chennai, the winning contestant achieved 37.6 kmpl mileage in his A-star.

Maruti Suzuki A-star breaks own record of fuel efficiency, achieves whopping top mileage of 39.4 kms per litre - EquityBulls.com
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 17:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
I have a 2001 Zen LX, and my landlord has a spanking new red A-Star. He bought it the very day it was released. I dropped him at the airport one night recently (he couldn't get a cab!) in his A-Star and was stunned at how well it responded compared to the Zen I'm used to driving.

I revved it a bit, and easily hit 70 kmph in 2nd gear, 100 in 3rd, 120 in 4th... and then I ran out of road each time. In my Zen I would have hit those speeds one gear higher each time!

I know the old Zen has a great reputation, but I feel it may be overtinged with nostalgia. Honestly, it was only when driving the A-Star that I felt the terms 'zippy' and 'fun to drive' were actually applicable. The Zen loses all its zippiness when the a/c is on.

Disclaimer: I haven't ever driven a Swift; I hear the petrol version is lovely to drive.
You are comparing a car that is 8 years old and not sure how many kms you have done with a brand new car.
So I dont think it is a fair comparison. If you could get a spanking new zen(unfortunately we cant, Hell with Maruti ) I am sure it will beat the A* easily mainly because of it low centre of gravity and low kerb weight.

Also, for the same reason, the zen is so much fun at cornering, I love taking 90 degree turns on my zen at high speeds and the sound that the wheels make, no car in its class can match that!

I agree with you on the AC bit though, but not sure how the A* fares in this dept

Cheers,
Nitin

Last edited by revhappy : 17th March 2009 at 17:42.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 18:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
You are comparing a car that is 8 years old and not sure how many kms you have done with a brand new car.
So I dont think it is a fair comparison.
Why have this thread then?

Quote:
Also, for the same reason, the zen is so much fun at cornering, I love taking 90 degree turns on my zen at high speeds and the sound that the wheels make, no car in its class can match that!
What tyres are you running on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Maruti Suzuki A-star breaks own record of fuel efficiency, achieves whopping top mileage of 39.4 kms per litre

New Delhi, 16 March, 2009: India's most fuel efficient car, the Maruti Suzuki A-star proved its supremacy once again by achieving a spectacular top mileage of 39.48 kilometers per litre (kmpl) in a fuel efficiency rally in Mumbai yesterday. In a similar mileage rally at Chennai, the winning contestant achieved 37.6 kmpl mileage in his A-star.

Maruti Suzuki A-star breaks own record of fuel efficiency, achieves whopping top mileage of 39.4 kms per litre - EquityBulls.com
Pthooey... this sounds quite ridiculous to me. Reminiscent of those "100 kmpl" ads for the old K-Bajaj two-strokes. The article linked to is full of unwarranted claims and superlatives, and reads like a Maruti press release in the garb of a "neutral" story. It mentions an "ARAI-certified" efficiency of 19.6 kmpl, which is believable, and then goes on to claim a minimum efficiency of 29 kmpl and a maximum of close to 40.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post

Fiesta had done the same kind of marketing few years back with average of above 25-30KMPL (i suppose).

But we all know the actual milage!

I think the millage is the only USP fpr A-star, other wise no one will by this crampy, blind (rear window?), underpowered, two seater cutey.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 17th March 2009 at 18:16.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 21:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Why have this thread then?
What I meant was you must compare a brand new zen with a brand new A* and not a 80000 kms run zen with a 800 kms run A*

Quote:
What tyres are you running on?
Stock Goodyear tyres

Last edited by revhappy : 17th March 2009 at 21:11.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 21:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.It mentions an "ARAI-certified" efficiency of 19.6 kmpl, which is believable, and then goes on to claim a minimum efficiency of 29 kmpl and a maximum of close to 40
since when has ARAI started certifying mileage numbers? Have the certified other vehicles?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 19:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:
What I meant was you must compare a brand new zen with a brand new A* and not a 80000 kms run zen with a 800 kms run A*
Ah... I was nowt but a wee lad when the old Zen was a new model car, so have never experienced it.
Old 28th May 2009, 20:20   #43
BANNED

How about comparing the A-Star to the Alto. After all the A-Star is the Alto replacement all over the world. In India both are in production. We can compare a brand new Alto with a brand new A-Star. The 800, Zen, Alto & A-Star are all sold as Alto's elsewhere. In India, Maruti should have replaced the Wagon R with the Estilo (MR Wagon) and the Zen with the A-Star (could have called it the Zen Estilo). I'm looking to buy a small car and had decided on the Alto. Does it make sense to go for the A-Star instead? I don't need rear seat space or boot space. The car will be strictly a market & city runabout with only 2 persons in it most of the time.
Furious55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 05:42   #44
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Replacement to zen? Astar.

Naah, look around you, which car shares that passion/ sporty feeling that the zen had! It's got to be the swift.

That is the real replacement in the market, otherwise there is no end to speculating what maruti intended to do.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 08:50   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Replacement to zen? Astar.

Naah, look around you, which car shares that passion/ sporty feeling that the zen had! It's got to be the swift.

That is the real replacement in the market, otherwise there is no end to speculating what maruti intended to do.
Swift is the replacement for the Esteem. The Esteem hatch back was sold as the Swift in other parts of the world. The A-Star is sold as the Alto elsewhere. The Zen was also sold as the Alto. So it's not that difficult to understand why;
Swift / Dzire=Replacement for the Esteem
A-Star=Replacement for the Zen (MH410)
Furious55 is offline   Reply With Quote