Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th April 2009, 11:48   #286
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I was envisioning this myself and did not agree to the statements above your post in entirety. To this effect, am just removing the rear bench completely. I would hate to put passengers in that cramped area in any case.

Have only heard of crumple protection on the front. Is that mandated for the rear as well? What are the international regulations for the rear? Have honestly never thought about it until these series of posts came up. Maybe some research is in order...
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 12:34   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
You don't need to do anything crazy. On a highway, if you have an emergency braking situation (can happen very often on our highways) & you have a truck or something behind you & he cannot (God forbid) stop in time, that's the end of your vehicle's rear.

Happened just last week to a group of our senior office colleagues on their way back to Mumbai from Bhuj. They were in an Endeavour, cow jumped across the road, driver braked hard but hit the cow nevertheless. Truck coming behind them rammed into them at high speed. Guys were lucky to be alive. The cow wasn't so lucky.
Hi Suman, are you indirectly suggesting that an Endeavour is tad bit safer than the Scorpio. I am not sure how many last row passengers will survive if a Scorpio was to get hammered by a truck in a similar situation
passionrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 15:21   #288
BHPian

Does that mean Sedan's are safer than SUVs? :-) Which vehicle has the best safely measurements for rear collisions (High speed!).?
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 15:26   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionrider View Post
Hi Suman, are you indirectly suggesting that an Endeavour is tad bit safer than the Scorpio. I am not sure how many last row passengers will survive if a Scorpio was to get hammered by a truck in a similar situation
Oh the Endy is tough all right, no doubt about that. But then the spare wheel also absorbed a bit of the impact......actually, in situations like this, its difficult to really predict the "what ifs".

All I'm saying is that rear-endings are not uncommon given the state of our roads & highways. However, that said, I do agree completely with this -
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
in a high speed rear end collision even the bull bar will not be of any help as the rear bar would be at the bumper level and in the event of an impact by a truck with an external engine the thrust would be on the rear door and the lack of boot space / crumple zone is bound to have serious safety implications specially for the rear row passengers.

The same is true for most of the hatchbacks and SUV's.

Last edited by suman : 8th April 2009 at 15:31.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 10:43   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh the Endy is tough all right, no doubt about that. But then the spare wheel also absorbed a bit of the impact......actually, in situations like this, its difficult to really predict the "what ifs".

All I'm saying is that rear-endings are not uncommon given the state of our roads & highways. However, that said, I do agree completely with this -
Its scary to even think how badly a rear ended crash will effect the people sittiing behind.

I guess its more safer to have seats facing front rather than sideways. Not very effective but more safer than sideways.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 10:49   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I guess its more safer to have seats facing front rather than sideways. Not very effective but more safer than sideways.
Absolutely - the Endy's seats face the front
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 17:24   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Quote:
I read in a review of the latest Landrover Defender that the European safety regulation doesn't not allow side facing third row seats and that is why the third row seating for the defender 110 had to be changed to front facing for the 2007 model onwards. Not sure what tata does for the latest Safari sold in Europe. Since they don't have a front facing third row seat, they probably sell it as a 5 seater without the third row.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 19:27   #293
Senior - BHPian

Endy has two additional advantages against the current design of Scorpio.

1. The Spare wheel which can act as a shock absorber.
2. The available boot space behind the rear seat will act as a crumple
zone.

The length of the Scorpio itself makes the leg space in the front facing rear seat redundant, and there is absolutely no gap between the seat and the door so if the door cavesin in the event of an impact the people in the rear seat face the maximum damage.

Quote:
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 09:35   #294
BHPian

I would love to buy an Endy but my financial constraints do not permit me to do so. I am now looking at a Scorp SLE however I am baffled with the way dealers are taking me for a ride. I am being asked to cough up 6500/- as handling/logistics charges in addition to Registration, Road tax etc. Also I am being told that Road tax is 4% of ex-showroom cost & there is municipal tax etc. I thought road tax was 3% in Delhi can someone please clarify? Does anyone know if there are any discounts being offered on the Refresh Scorpio in Delhi?

Thanks in advance for your expert suggestions.

Mods - I am not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions - my apologies if it isnt.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:07   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are any discounts being offered on the Refresh Scorpio in Delhi?
In Mumbai, they all the three dealers I have checked with are offering a 20% discount on insurance, which works out to 6-7K odd for the SLE.
The SLE is a superb package, especially since the time I discovered it was ABS equipped.
I only wished they'd provide black interiors even on the SLE, beige does not quite cut it for me.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 22:25   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am being told that Road tax is 4% of ex-showroom cost & there is municipal tax etc. can someone please clarify?
Guess this is indeed OT, but to answer your question quickly, Delhi road tax is 4% of showroom price, + MCD parking charges are separately levied.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 01:05   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I only wished they'd provide black interiors even on the SLE, beige does not quite cut it for me.
manson.
Totally agree mate. I want to get the silver one and beige doesn't go with Silver at all. Seems to better with the Black and Rocky beige. I think with white and Silver the Black interiors should be offered as an option.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 10:29   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Totally agree mate. I want to get the silver one and beige doesn't go with Silver at all. Seems to better with the Black and Rocky beige. I think with white and Silver the Black interiors should be offered as an option.
Catch them doing it! Even paint options are provided only if you upgrade a version. Serious class and creed issues abound here.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 11:38   #299
BHPian

The insurance company tells me that if at all I want to transfer the NCB from my old car to the new Scorp the difference between ex-showroom price of both vehicles (old & new) should not exceed 5Lacs. If it does then NCB is not transferrable

Experts please advise.