Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2005, 15:00   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand
I can't understand all the excitement abt Fabia, It will be a decent car..

but I dont see anything to get pumped up about..
True, but I couldn't see anything to get excited about in the NHC either. But it is selling pretty well (better than the OHC, which had a LOT to get excited about).

I predict the same will hold true for the Fabia, if Skoda ever actually get around to bringing it in.

And about the rear seat space - in my previous post I mentioned reading the review in Top Gear magazine comparing the Fabia, the Jazz etc. The Fabia came second in that comparo to the Jazz, which won because of its "magic seat" system (that is not available on the NHC in India). There were no unfavourable comments about the Fabia's rear seat space.

Of course, this was a road test by a UK magazine, so they may not even have thought to SIT in the rear seat....
Old 2nd May 2005, 16:20   #32
BHPian

Unless they localize at least 80%, they wont be able to keep the price below 7 Lakhs.

At 7 lakhs, I will always go for Honda City no questions asked.
Old 2nd May 2005, 16:20   #33
BHPian

[quote=johnjacob]I agree about the looks, Steer, but remember this is a car about the same size as the New Honda City. QUOTE]
How is that possible? From the pictures shown, it appears much smaller than NHC or even Ikon, Accent etc.
Old 2nd May 2005, 16:23   #34
BHPian

Or may be back seat is spacious, but boot is for names sake in the sedan version.
Old 2nd May 2005, 20:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
How is that possible? From the pictures shown, it appears much smaller than NHC or even Ikon, Accent etc.
Are you talking about the pictures posted earlier on this thread? They show the Fabia by itself so I don't see how you can conclude on its size from those.

I would like to find and post the actual dimensions so that we could get a final conclusion on the size, but too much to do at work right now.

But anyways, the Fabia and the Jazz are competitors in the EU market, so they must be in the same ballpark when it comes to size. So it follows that the Fabia sedan and the NHC should be in the same ballpark, too.
Old 3rd May 2005, 05:16   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

If I was the Skoda boss, I would position Fabia Petrol bang against the NHC and the Fabia diesel against the Accent Crdi (maybe peg it a liiiitle higher since the Accent is an ageing design)
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Dude

See it for real (that is, with other cars in perspective) and the sedan looks pretty odd - it looks like they left the boot halfway while the front looks like somebody compressed the front of an Octavia. Without the length of the Skoda this car looks very ugly.

The HATCH, however, looks nice (I mentioned combi as well in an earlier post, but the hatch looks better than the combi too).
You are right but i think the sedan is not bad looking. I think it will do well here because of the "Skoda" tag as well as its enjine. I will go for the test drive when its launched.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
T

And about the rear seat space - in my previous post I mentioned reading the review in Top Gear magazine comparing the Fabia, the Jazz etc. The Fabia came second in that comparo to the Jazz, which won because of its "magic seat" system (that is not available on the NHC in India). There were no unfavourable comments about the Fabia's rear seat space.
whats this magic seat system you are talking about in fabia???
Old 21st March 2006, 12:41   #39
BHPian

i just ranged up autostrada skoda dealer in noida, he said that fabia will be launched next year with only hatch version in india
Old 21st March 2006, 12:54   #40
DRC
BHPian

Looks like skoda is a kinda babudom. They know they have demand, and all the customers get is "keep demanding"
Old 21st March 2006, 12:56   #41
BHPian

whats babudom???????
Old 21st March 2006, 14:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Looks like skoda is a kinda babudom. They know they have demand, and all the customers get is "keep demanding"
On the other hand, I feel Skoda is one manufacturer who is not shy of introducing latest technologies in India. They are pretty fast in doing that. For example, turbo petrol engine, DSG gear box, etc.

I really wonder what is taking them so long to introduce Fabia. Wheter they have not been able to localize in such a manner as to reduce costs to reasonable limits yet, only they can tell.

I have heard that they are planning to get into small car segment thro' their Roomster/Yeti concept. That vehicle looks very quirky. It is also possible that they would like to concentrate more on this as thist would constitute a volume proposition.
Old 21st March 2006, 21:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

SKoda has been really good, but the only concern I have with the brand is price. While their Octavia and superb are VFM cars, things have changed with Laura and the RS.

Looking from the company's part its really profitable as the cars are selling but for consumers its always that bit more which affects.
Old 22nd March 2006, 05:43   #44
BHPian

devarshi84 .i think all skoda cars r VFM. laura at 18 has features of which a merc has at 28.the RS has no competion.SO SKODA IS VFM.
Old 22nd March 2006, 06:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444
devarshi84 .i think all skoda cars r VFM. laura at 18 has features of which a merc has at 28.the RS has no competion.SO SKODA IS VFM.
Features of Merc but not the brand value or the same segment. I am sure Swift too has some features (ABS, Airbags, Climate Control) of Laura, and comes at 6 lakh, doesnt make it VFM As its in a different segment (size) and different brand value.
Closed Thread