Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd March 2006, 11:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Talking Faaaaaaaabeeyaaaaaaaaaah

The way Skoda is going i highly doubt the Fabia will be here before Next year. They already are full with Laura bookings and are planing a New Octavia. Also i just checked the British Site. There is a vRS version of the Fabia which comes with a Diesel engine. It has 125 BHP and all the toys you get in the Indian RS. I guess that if it makes it here will be a super hit, because Indians always prefer Show with the FE GO(ing) of a Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Features of Merc but not the brand value or the same segment. I am sure Swift too has some features (ABS, Airbags, Climate Control) of Laura, and comes at 6 lakh, doesnt make it VFM As its in a different segment (size) and different brand value.
Laura has quite a lot of features the swift can only dream of to have in stock in India.

1. Dual Zone Climate Control
2. 6 Airbags
3. Dynamic Shift Gearbox
4. Tyre Pressure Monitoring
5. ESP
6. Auto Head Lamps
7. Auto Wipers
8 Xenon Lamps with Power Washers
9. On Board Computer, etc.
10. Sunroof
11. Digital Front and Rear Parkotronic
12. Leather Seats with Heat Massager.
13. Electric Seats with Memory Settings
14. Electric Lumbar Support
15. MP3 System
16. Electric Mirrors with Integrated Indicators

And also it would be nice to clear the misconception that since Swift has ABS and even a Laura has that doesnot mean that the Swift is VFM. There are many types of ABS versions (Four Channel, etc) thats why if you go to buy a Santro you pay Rs. 15k more for ABS, for a Optra you pay 28k and so on and so forth. Also the system in the Skoda is more complex and if you will notice after driving a Laura that there is no ABS in the swift, not that its not it just does not feel functional. Also look at the built quality of the Swift.

Skoda Laura has way more features then a C Class, but then a C Class will be a C Class. PERIOD

Sorry for going so much off topic here, but just wanted to clear the misconception of VFM that people seem to assume/presume.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Smile Skoda Fabia coming ?

Hi all

I had queried skoda about the Fabia, and here is their reply

---------

hi

Thank you for showing interest in Skoda Fabia. As for your query about the Skoda Fabia, please note that we are still in the process of working out our plans for the same. We will get back to you with the exact details of the launch dates once our plans are finalized.

Please feel free to contact us if you need any further assistance.

Thanks and regards,Ashish Kane
Product Planning Market ResearchŠkoda Auto India Private Limited

wonder what this means? Are they coming up with the skoda hatch in the near future?

Interesting to ponder.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

There is some news in the May issue of ACI on the Fabia hatch. Since this now comes in the definition of small car lengthwise and Skoda has engine sizes which come in that definition, they now have plans of releasing the hatch version of Fabia according to that article. The article mentions 1.2 petrol with 64 bhp and 1.4 pd dsl with 75 bhp as their engine choice.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

the original fabia is the HATCH back, its a blitzkrieg of a vehicle, the 1.8 smoked a mini cooper on a top gear challenge.
the talks aboutthe fabia hatch coming to town has been around since atlest a year but i dont see that happening as the fabia hatch will definatly be around 8-9 lacs. . .
n indians will find it difficult to pay so much money. . .for a HATCH>
Old 8th May 2006, 15:42   #50
BHPian

the lead feature on the Auto Show on CNBC TV18 yesterday morning was on the Skoda Fabia. indicative launch date is end-2006. there were 2 variants on the show - the sedan and an estate (combi). they also mentioned that skoda proposed to offer 2 engine variants - a new Pumpe Deuse diesel that puts out close to 100 bhp and (i think) a 74 bhp petrol. no price indication.

wonder if we can expect to get a PD at anything less than 8 - 9 lacs. how will the car ever compete with the NHC?
Old 8th May 2006, 15:56   #51
BHPian

I had heard it will be priced around 6 - 7 lacs ! ....
Old 8th May 2006, 16:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

I have observed that Skoda is not shy of introducing new technologies in India (for ex, DSG and turbo petrol techs), but they charge us thro' our nose when we go in for servicing. But anyways, I believe the 1.4 PD, if priced properly, would be a good deal for India if fitted in Fabia Sedan/Combi.
Old 8th May 2006, 16:26   #53
BHPian

Well, I too did wait for this for a period of 4 months or so.. as they were to bring this model out end of 2005/begining of 2006.. Now we are in mid 2006.. I hope they release it atleast in 2006, which I still feel is doubtful
Old 8th May 2006, 17:10   #54
BHPian

Hi Guys,

In the last month's Auto India, They have clearly mentioned that Skoda is gonna launch Fabia in India later this year and seriously it will be too tough to handle for City as 50 % of its users will be having a true class car to compare with City and that too 60-70 thousand cheaper ( acc. to Auto India )

Regards,
Gagan
Old 8th May 2006, 21:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

one year down the line the car is still no where to be seen or heard of. only fabia i know of is in gujrat in amd at a showroom of skoda. no inquries entertained though. also a superb in gold hardly driven for sale for 17 laks
Old 8th May 2006, 22:24   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
The Fabia is a GREAT car... But it has been available internationally since 2000 or 2001 and the Indian automotive press has been talking about Skoda introducing the Fabia here since early 2002. It's now 2005 and still no Fabia... I just can't help thinking "missed opportunity". If they had brought in the Fabia TDi three years ago, they could have cleaned up the whole market.

Look at this article in BS Motoring (from Aug 2002) talking about Skoda bringing in the Fabia. If I was a Skoda shareholder I would fire the management on grounds of "criminal irresponsibility and negligence".
dude you have to understand the indian market, you need the right product at the right time, better products have lost the game coz they were launched at the wrong time, viz the baleno. Three years back even if the SWIFT would have been launched it would have not been sold becase the market would have NOT been ready. Here we are talkiing about a HATCHBACK which would have been MARGINALLY cheaper than a Honda CITY. I personally think if they would have launched the Fabia three years back . . . it would have NOT SOLD at all. . . .
Old 9th May 2006, 12:01   #57
BHPian

When you talk of FE i got remined of a conversation. I showed my new Fiesta to my friend his wife (newly married). She said the car is very good and asked about the mileage. I said proudly it gives 11.x in city with AC. Her reaction was "Pathetic!!! Bikes give more than 70!!!!"
Old 9th May 2006, 21:07   #58
BHPian

hey landcruiser what an intelligent statement from your friend's wife!!

anyway whats her I.Q.?just interested in knowing because of the superb statement she made
Old 9th May 2006, 22:10   #59
BHPian

carfreak, dont know man. i didnt think of I.Q at all. But just wished i dont get a wife like that!
Old 10th May 2006, 00:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Default Fabia Hatchback to roll out Early '07

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1523083.cms

So there you go, the Fabia hatchback is more or less confirmed now. Thank god its not the sedan (me thinks the fabia only looks gorgeous in hatchback form). So with the diesel and a petrol variant im sure itll create a lot of stirr in the market. With the 100bhp PD Engine under the hood and solid euro build quality its surely my choice of car (for my gf ofcourse, not me!)
Closed Thread