Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th April 2005, 03:43   #16
BHPian

RWD or FWD, IMHO, is a matter of personal preference. But one has got to admit that the Audi A4/A6/A8 trio look far better than the MB and BMW counterparts, excepting the new walrus grille. And the interiors are simply too good and reek of quality.

Manti.
manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 10:32   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As for the A6, sure it is FWD, but it handles quite well, packages everything in the front thus liberating masses of space in the rear and is quite a nice car to live with. I don't see anything wrong with it being FWD.
Revv, read the Autocarindia comparo. They have stated that the Audi "cannot hold a candle to the BMW" and one other negative comment on its handling that I cant remember right now. Magazines lying at home.

FWD is more economical to package. I am not asking for AWD, but atleast RWD as the norm in that segment.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 11:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Revv, read the Autocarindia comparo. They have stated that the Audi "cannot hold a candle to the BMW" and one other negative comment on its handling that I cant remember right now.
They say that - "The front wheel drive A6 is almost as willing to change direction, and the steering is quick at speed, but it can't hold a candle to the BMW. The brakes are over-servoed and grabby, it understeers when driven hard, the rear is nowhere near as anchored, and overall balance is not a patch on the BMW."

[I have the magazine here at work ]
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 15:54   #19
BHPian

BMW is number 1...i like the older Audis as well though
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 21:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have stated that the Audi "cannot hold a candle to the BMW"
True GTO. There is absolutely no doubt that the BMW will supercede the Audi in terms of handling. But by itself, and for a front-wheel drive, it acquits itself quite well. Also as someone rightly mentioned in this thread, 95% of the times the Audi won't be driven to its limit in India. So in a real world, where these cars are mostly in the hands of chauffeurs, the true ability of the car cannot be judged.

Of-course at the end of it all, I too would have liked to see Audis come with RWD. But alas, they are Germans, and like all of them are too obsessed with proving their engineering might, however inconvenient and impractical the technology/technique might be. Especially to be "different" from their rivals.

Revv

P.S. I still am a BMW nut. I still love RWD. Am i at peace with everyone out here now?

Last edited by Revvmaster : 29th April 2005 at 21:20.
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 22:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

I have a video of Auto Motor Und Sport - a comparison test between the 2004 AWD A8, 745i, S430 and XJ8. The Audi won this test comfortably - best handling, maximum power, best quality interiors and so on. While we are talking about AWD and FWD, AMS are of the opinion that though the AWD A8 has the best handling in the slalom run, it clearly understeers while taking sharp turns. What I'm trying to say is that if the AWD car is so prone to understeer, the FWD one will be easily outclassed by its rival from BMW.
I agree with GTO - RWD is a norm in this segment.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 22:43   #22
BHPian

Well guys A6 is an amazing car... be it a quattro or just FWD..... Audi is the grand dad of 4 wheel drive,it was the first to use it in WRC... i am sure their 4wd's are amazing but come on i dont think ppl paying soo much would love to push the car's all the time and corner at huge speeds!!!!
Mr.Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 23:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
GTO. There is absolutely no doubt that the BMW will supercede the Audi in terms of handling. But by itself, and for a front-wheel drive, it acquits itself quite well. Also as someone rightly mentioned in this thread, 95% of the timesTrue the Audi won't be driven to its limit in India. So in a real world, where these cars are mostly in the hands of chauffeurs, the true ability of the car cannot be judged.
Revv

P.S. I still am a BMW nut. I still love RWD. Am i at peace with everyone out here now?
i saw a lady drive a silver A6 today dude(i really dont know much about RWD and FWD but the A6 does look awesome)
vandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2005, 08:35   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
he AWD A8 has the best handling in the slalom run, it clearly understeers while taking sharp turns. What I'm trying to say is that if the AWD car is so prone to understeer, .
A lot of other things come into the equation, power distribution between front and back, overall weight distribution.

Only company which has managed to do fwd well has been Peugeot and BMW with the Mini.

So extending the logic FWD is yuck, yes my Vtec understeers, tamed some of it with better tyres and strut brace......only alternative is an old Fiat - think of the sound
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2005, 09:22   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Believe me, all that snappy Vtec power to the FWD gets to my head sometimes!

GTO
Old 30th April 2005, 16:35   #26
BHPian

It is also surprising to know that Audi is launching only the FWD version again in the A4 also, with 2.0L TDi engine.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 09:44   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Old 7th May 2005, 10:34   #28
BHPian

hey y r we looking at the audi's drawbacks we must look at the other features also and owning a audi isnt a joke. i agree the rwd is much more fun than the fwd but if it isnt there then we can do nothing about it

Last edited by kooldude : 7th May 2005 at 10:35.
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 10:44   #29
Team-BHP Support

I would love to blindfold people and have them drive these cars. Then have them pick out which they like best.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 11:06   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
love to blindfold people and have them drive these cars.
Errrm, how will they drive with their eyes shut?

GTO