Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th December 2009, 14:17   #151
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Having owned and driven Innova for close to three years, I would like to elaborate on this point.

In fifth gear engine is smooth upto 95 kmpl after that noise becomes very loud. It stays so upto 105 kmpl. After 105kmpl it again becomes silky smooth. I guess turbo kicks in at this point of time... i am not sure. This becomes very irritating on express way and i try to drive below 95 or above 110 on express ways. On other highways this is not much of a problem because usually i dont drive above 100 on other highways.

This is the sole dissatisfaction that I have with my Innova. Otherwise the car is exceptional.
Could be the booming sound due to resonance at certain frequencies
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 14:28   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Could be the booming sound due to resonance at certain frequencies
Could you please throw some more light it. I tried to Wiki it but it was too technical to even read..
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 16:13   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having owned and driven Innova for close to three years, I would like to elaborate on this point.

In fifth gear engine is smooth upto 95 kmpl after that noise becomes very loud. It stays so upto 105 kmpl. After 105kmpl it again becomes silky smooth. I guess turbo kicks in at this point of time... i am not sure. This becomes very irritating on express way and i try to drive below 95 or above 110 on express ways. On other highways this is not much of a problem because usually i dont drive above 100 on other highways.

This is the sole dissatisfaction that I have with my Innova. Otherwise the car is exceptional.
I guess you meant KMPH and not KMPL.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 16:17   #154
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Come to think of it we keep harping on the diesel - due to the obvious effeciency and diesel cost benifits, but then the petrol version of the Innova is actually a much better vehicle, if one looks at the refinement, the top speeds, the in gear acceleration and the 0-100 times it slots in around the Safari / Fortuner (both Diesel mark). But then if one can keep the cost of fuel part aside it does make a lot of sense.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 16:27   #155
BHPian

Quote:

You are right rutvij been driving a Innova for almost 4 years and this was my only issue. I think this is because of the shorter gearing ratios and not enough sound dampening materials used. So when I reach that speed I invariably search for the 6th gear .
Jai3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 17:22   #156
Senior - BHPian

I am quite surprised about the ground clearance factor not being discussed at all. Innova though has a good number in paper, when it is loaded fully, there is a chance of some 'random object' (which is usually present in Indian roads(2 laned) and which rips the oil sump of sedans) harming the chassis.

But I am quite comfortable with any mahindra vehicle in this aspect. Practicality(GC) versus utility(handling).
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 18:44   #157
Senior - BHPian

yup the NVH levels are a bit agricultural after 100.

But the thing i noticed is from 100 -160(yes i have gone upto 160 many a times)
the noise that the engine makes is absolutely constant!!!
strange i must say.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 19:39   #158
BHPian

After I peted my Innova what I have observed is that for first several minutes (or is it first few times) above 100 it gets quite noisy (as if the engine is strained) but if you keep pushing it settles down eventually. In fact I was quite surprised at the noise (or rather relative lack of it) when once I had pushed it to almost 170 with wee bit some room to go further if there was more clean stretch available.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 20:14   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
So when I reach that speed I invariably search for the 6th gear .
Absolutely! We have an Innova and MHwak Scorpio. In the latter at higher speeds the motor begs you to push more and more. In Innova, even though it is capable of doing higher speeds, it feels the engine is angry at you for pushing hard.

Coming to the ride quality, there is no comparison for Innova. Scorpio sways wildly in tortuous roads.

Pardon me for bringing in Scorpio here!
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 20:44   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
After I peted my Innova what I have observed is that for first several minutes (or is it first few times) above 100 it gets quite noisy (as if the engine is strained) but if you keep pushing it settles down eventually. In fact I was quite surprised at the noise (or rather relative lack of it) when once I had pushed it to almost 170 with wee bit some room to go further if there was more clean stretch available.
completely. i dont know how others find noise between 95 and 105kmph. i find it absolutely fine until about 115kmph then the noise gets intrusive. but then again when i cruise on the expressway at 150-160 the noise seems to become less. but to drown that out i do play music.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 09:35   #161
Senior - BHPian

even i find my innova excessively noisy above 90 kmph. that is not just the engine noise but even the tyre noise.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 10:12   #162
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please throw some more light it. I tried to Wiki it but it was too technical to even read..
The body of the vehicle has a resonant frequency (Hertz or oscillations per second). The resonant frequency is the one at which amplitude of vibration is very high thus resulting in the sound

When the engine rpm changes and the engine produces vibrations with frequency which is near about equal to the resonant frequency of the body, it results in resonance and hence the booming sound
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 16:43   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
The body of the vehicle has a resonant frequency (Hertz or oscillations per second). The resonant frequency is the one at which amplitude of vibration is very high thus resulting in the sound

When the engine rpm changes and the engine produces vibrations with frequency which is near about equal to the resonant frequency of the body, it results in resonance and hence the booming sound
Thanks a lot. Well... I read it and frankly speaking, still cant understand it. But my logic is that if there is anything like resonant frequency then it should apply to other models like Xylo and Scorpio also and not one has reported that.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:56   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I guess you meant KMPH and not KMPL.
Yeah it surely is KMPL.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:58   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Don't go by a singe experience - there are bad experiences with all cars, TATA as a manufacturer has come a long way, the indicruz has been tested for the last 2 years and it's launch has not been rushed. the Vista and Manza quality can be expected at the min level, and these are quite reliable as well.
I agree that all cars/manufacturers have the occasional hiccup - some more than others. What will mitigate that risk is the responsiveness and customer focus of the after sales service. Perhaps, I should start tracking threads that talk about experiences with dealers and service centers in addition to the vehicles!!

I did have an initial hiccup with my Santro and it was compounded by some negligence by the service center during repairs. However, Hyundai responded to my escalation rather effectively. And since then the car has not given me any hassle.

I've been following the Tata Aria launch thread closely. The impressions is that it might be a worthy competitor for Toyota and M&M for my Qualis replacement. Waiting and watching before I decide!
abtom is offline   Reply With Quote