Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th February 2009, 19:20   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Of course one can understand the view of the taxi Drivers, wherein they get a more fuel efficient and more spacious (7 versus 4 passengers in the Indica) option with the Omini.
Mumbai taxis are licensed to carry only 4 passengers so I dont think this is an issue. The Omni might beat the Indica on maintenance costs though. Either car is a very good replacement for the dilapadated(mostly) Padminis on Mumbai roads.

And the Nano replacing the Autorickshaw would be a great idea too
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 10:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually, CNG-convert autorickshaws are pretty emission friendly.
Provided they have 4-stroke engine. The two-stroke coversions are really bad.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 11:07   #33
BHPian

Strangely, I dont feel as enthusiastic with the news. If this gets effective in Bangalore also, then God help us! The Indicabs/Sumos/Qualis are most rash drivers in this city, they are virtually killers for other commuters in cars/2-wheelers. If the price cut influxes more of these killers on road, then "somebody gonna get hurt real bad!". Needless to say, who those 'somebody' are!
On second thoughts (and on a lighter note), IT industry being so volatile and low now, maybe buying a couple of these indcabs might be a safer business proposition! LOL!
nnandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 12:04   #34
BHPian

A rash driver is a rash driver, it doesnt matter wheather he is behind the wheels of Indicab, sumo,qualis,omni or any other car for that matter.
Car-Agey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 12:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

@Car-Agey and nnandi, though it's true that a rash driver is a rash driver, it's better that he is behind wheels of a smaller vehicle than a monster truck for obvious reason. Nano with it's light weight and small engine, won't be as potent "killer" as an Indica or any other bigger vehicle.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 12:21   #36
BHPian

I don't know about Delhi or Pune driving pattern, but in Blore indicabs mostly cater to the call-centre employee transportation. The more trips they do, the more the earn. Thats why they become "extra" rash than just being "rash drivers". And that's why my post picked on indicabs. Otherwise, I have no personal grudges against Ratan TATA's endeavours.
nnandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 12:25   #37
Team-BHP Support

My feeling is that an underpowered engine makes a rash driver.

The only thing going is momentum and the guy will do everything to lose it and try some funny things to avoid the pain of acceleration
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 17:00   #38
BHPian

Will they drive rash in Mumbai is another point; I feel the policing in Mumbai is more structured and drivers on the road have some fear at least seeing a cop. In Bangalore you hardly see cops and then the Cab and Auto guys are not afraid of them as they are hand in glove with the Cops.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 19:26   #39
BANNED

Anything to wipe out those century old Fiats!!
1.6L is good pricing, like taxiwalas sometimes buy/use regular cars, this price could turn the tide otherways too.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 20:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

I think this will also help the auto wallahs. At this pricing for the Indicab makes it a very viable option for them to replace their autos, what they heck now a days a second hand auto and Padmini almost cost the same.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 21:00   #41
BHPian

I dont think the Nano will ever be sold on the taxi number, very bad branding for a product that has built such a strong presence, even before it is launched. There are gonna be tons of people put off by the taxi-image, not even a first time car buyer nor a biker upgrading would want to be seen in a "taxi" kinda car, even a lac is huge amt for the Nano's target market. Nope, I cant see a Nano taxi on the scale of the Indica-b.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 21:24   #42
BHPian

[quote=nnandi;1179058]"somebody gonna get hurt real bad!",

I've heard this before , yeah it was Russel Peters
Dieseled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 09:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Will they drive rash in Mumbai is another point; I feel the policing in Mumbai is more structured and drivers on the road have some fear at least seeing a cop. In Bangalore you hardly see cops and then the Cab and Auto guys are not afraid of them as they are hand in glove with the Cops.
Driving in Mumbai is certainly much more disciplined than in Bangalore. However, like every other city, the BPO cabs are driven in the worst manner in Mumbai too. There was not a single day that I don't see a mangled Indicab (which certainly operates for a BPO) during the 2003-2008 period. The Palm Beach Marg in Navi Mumbai was their hotspot.

In Bangalore, no one really bothers even in a Cop waves you to stop or blows a whistle. Give him a smile, and continue with your routine. The poor cop will search for his next victim. The traffic sense is really bad here (in Bangalore), and BPO vehicles (irrespective of the vehicles' make) are the worst in the lot.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote