Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 11:44   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Honda City adjudged as Indian Car of the Year - ICOTY 2009

The ICOTY award was widely expected to put to rest the unusual lack of consensus among auto mags in awarding the COTY for 2009. This year's ICOTY jury list didn't incl AutoCar India, according to a news article in Business Standard (18 Feb'09). So, is this a case of the dominant player opting out, of what is seen as an industry standard, because they don't want to contradict themselves? (AutoCar India's COTY was awarded to Fiat Linea, which wasn't even in the short-list for the ICOTY awards!) It's a real pity that, for whatever reason, AutoCar India wasn't in the jury for this years ICOTY.
naveenmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 15:44   #2
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Well, we can start our awards also Team BHP COTY!

At least in our award there will be an authenticity.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 18:59   #3
BHPian
 
Anthym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 187
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

The one thing I hate about these awards are the categories
- The Best Drivers Car
- Variant Of The Year
- Best Value For Money Car
- Best Design and Styling
- Viewers Choice Award Car
- Best Small Car
- Best Mid-Size Car
- Best Executive Car
- Best Luxury Car
- Best SUV Of The Year
and last but not the least
- The Indian Car of the Year

I mean whats the point. You as well give an award to all the cars launching through the year. India isnt a country where you have 5 SUVs launching through the year for these guys to adjudge the best.
With the number of car magazines and their respective award categories, all the manufacturers are expected to win atleast one award somehow somewhere.
And the car manufacturers are simply touting their respective awards in their current ads.
Anthym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 21:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Senseless! There are still 10 more months and many more cars to come in 2009.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 22:17   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Well, we can start our awards also Team BHP COTY!

At least in our award there will be an authenticity.
+1 to that. We can start such an award as it would be quiet authentic
What say guys?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 22:47   #6
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

At last sanity prevails !! Glad that ACI was kept - because they mistook COTY 2009 as COTY 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenmani View Post
It's a real pity that, for whatever reason, AutoCar India wasn't in the jury for this years ICOTY.
FYI, COTY 2009 is awarded for cars launched in calendar year 2008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Senseless! There are still 10 more months and many more cars to come in 2009.
Authenticity? Not sure of that. Anyway we all know the result of such a poll
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
We can start such an award as it would be quiet authentic

Last edited by diabloo : 18th February 2009 at 23:00.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 14:31   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,402 Times
Default

The new Honda City deserves the ICOTY! Great choice. Despite its shortcomings, the ANHC is still the best buy for 9 lakh rupees; it comes closest to being an alround sedan.

Quote:
So, is this a case of the dominant player opting out, of what is seen as an industry standard, because they don't want to contradict themselves? (AutoCar India's COTY was awarded to Fiat Linea, which wasn't even in the short-list for the ICOTY awards!) It's a real pity that, for whatever reason, AutoCar India wasn't in the jury for this years ICOTY.
ACI's awarding the Linea was absolute nonsense, and only shows the power that the industry has over the press.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 15:15   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

Shocking!
I think that ACI played a major role in establishing ICOTY. And this year they were not in!
ACI goofed up the COTY as we all know.
Now I believe that even this award is not good.
G3HC is not the best but it was the best entrant in that segment in 2008.

What is really not good is the fact that again there is split up between various auto mags. ICOTY was to unite all of them, but I wonder why ACI was out this time. It looks like the industry is not as corruption free as it was, lets say 5 years ago.

I agree that at TBHP we can have a poll for COTY.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 16:33   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 110
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

New Honda City! That is a great news. Infact the City is really a powerful car with imposing style and excellent technologies. Have not driven the car but have read great reviews of the car from those who own it.
nanopano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 11:16   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,402 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I agree that at TBHP we can have a poll for COTY.
Done, Aaggoswami! Entered a December date in my palm for the Team-BHP COTY. Lets have the true COTY emerge, based on voting by Indian car enthusiasts & actual owners, without evil industry pressures.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 11:33   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,580
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Done, Aaggoswami! Entered a December date in my palm for the Team-BHP COTY. Lets have the true COTY emerge, based on voting by Indian car enthusiasts & actual owners, without evil industry pressures.
Ideally, people who drive the cars in fray have to vote. That would be impossible for TBHP award ! Then only some people would be eligible to vote.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 15:35   #12
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Can we have pics other than the routine red skoda and white civics?

Last edited by loving_alaap : 25th March 2009 at 15:39. Reason: posted in a wrong thread, mods, please reomve
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 17:05   #13
Newbie
 
georgesmiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Team- bhp COTY suggestions

Great idea. By the way how do we distinguish it from all the other awards.
My suggestions
1. Cut down number of awards to just two
A) Best petrol car,
B) Best Diesel car.
Let cars EARN the award and lets not reward every other car.
Alternatively if that is too radical and we prefer segment wise awards, lets include all cars within that segment irrespective of their date of launch. In that scenario the OHC would keep trumping all new launches in the C segment

2. Introduce criteria which actually makes sense to owners. For example
A) Reliability
B) Total Cost of ownership (Cost of spares, after sales service, etc)
Mag journos tend to avoid looking at practical day to day issues that are bread and butter for most users. Their point of view focuses more on performance, interiors, gizmos, etc.
I understand that for new cars this data might be difficult to estimate. So on to my next suggestion.

3. Qualifying criteria: Cars must be launched at least 12 months before award date to qualify!
This years COTY for the Linea was an avoidable event - which was necessitated by the requirements of the sales department. We dont have that pressure unlike the rags. This will ensure enough cars are on the road and glitches if any will surface.

End of the day the poor sod who is buying based on this award should buy with complete confidence and peace of mind - even though he is buying a one year old model!
So what do you say to that. Lets have more suggestions
georgesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
Chandigarh adjudged the cleanest city in India, Mysore gets the second rank J.Ravi Shifting gears 15 14th May 2010 11:10
Honda Civic adjudged as Indian Car of the Year - ICOTY 2007 navdeep The Indian Car Scene 1 13th March 2007 17:59
Honda Civic voted Indian Car of the Year salilpawar1 The Indian Car Scene 5 9th March 2007 19:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks