Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:49   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

I have heard good things about Hyundai but I will not write off Skoda based on peoples perceptions. Fabia owners are enjoying their cars with not much to complain about as of now.

Yes sales are low because of the perception that fabia is expensive. Many still dont know what it costs.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 23rd February 2009 at 14:01.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:28   #17
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London/ Bombay
Posts: 496
Thanked: 348 Times
Default

You seem to have your definitions jumbled. Perceptions can be based on fact as well.

Fact: Skoda Fabia can cost up to 8.5+ Lacs on the Road

Fact: Skoda's cheapest variant costs approximately 5.4 Lacs on the Road but is devoid of several creature comforts.

Fact: Skoda Fabia Petrol's cost of ownership is higher than any other small car sold in India

As to Fabia owners enjoying their cars, what else can they do? They've spent a ridiculous amount of money on a car that is worth 2 lacs less than they've spent on it.
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:16   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Fact?

Do you own a Skoda?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:56   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai, Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 142
Thanked: Once
Default

You seem to have your definitions jumbled. Perceptions can be based on fact as well.

Fact: Skoda Fabia can cost up to 8.5+ Lacs on the Road
it does, but what do you get in it that you don't get in other hatches ?

Fact: Skoda's cheapest variant costs approximately 5.4 Lacs on the Road but is devoid of several creature comforts.
Devoid of what ? it has the mirrors with remote movement, airbags, all the lamps, central locking, power windows, adjustable seats and steering, rear wash and wipe, rear defogger, IMO even the higher versions of cars don't give things that are "Really" needed just to cut costs and make sure customers buy the top version, atleast they give you the bare necessities.

Fact: Skoda Fabia Petrol's cost of ownership is higher than any other small car sold in India
how do you know that ? its not even been on the streets for a year, I have spent less on the diesel on periodic maintainence than my swift D and Wagon R, not taking fuel into account

As to Fabia owners enjoying their cars, what else can they do? They've spent a ridiculous amount of money on a car that is worth 2 lacs less than they've spent on it.
When you drive it, you don't need to even think of the extra two lac or 2 rupees that you spent on it, it feels worth everything and much more.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 01:43   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

I do agree that Skoda messed up big time when they launched the car but now they seem to have revised the pricing. Since the issue of spares hasnt come up from the owners lets not speculate about it. I Find Fabia to be as desirable as other cars as of now minus the looks.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 07:38   #21
BHPian
 
Tumbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Perceptions can change

i20, made in India is, but a few thousands less than the Ambiente 1.2. So whats the commotion of high pricing. If so, then Hyndai is as guilty if not more. Everyone deserves a second chance, so...
Attached Images
 
Tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 09:13   #22
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London/ Bombay
Posts: 496
Thanked: 348 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

Do you own a Skoda?
Actually no. I drive a Benz. But I did pay a deposit cheque to Autobahn Skoda, even before the public had seen the Fabia. Then, we went saw it at their warehouse, we asked for a refund immediately. It was THAT disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post

it does, but what do you get in it that you don't get in other hatches ?
Actually, with the launch of the i20 thats no longer true. Quite the opposite I'd say. And what's your point? That you don't need the items sold in the overpriced Elegance version or that the items sold in it make it worth the money? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Fact: Skoda Fabia Petrol's cost of ownership is higher than any other small car sold in India
how do you know that ?
Actually, I specified petrol factoring fuel efficiency and cost of spares. I didn't factor in shady dealerships, but that only adds fuel to the fire. The fabia is the least fuel efficient hatch on the road, going by fuel efficiency reports and owners who are still shell shocked by their 9.5-10 kms/l they get AND spare part prices are not cheap. I have a cost list of basic items from when I nearly bought the car a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
When you drive it, you don't need to even think of the extra two lac or 2 rupees that you spent on it, it feels worth everything and much more.
Kudos to you then. Some would call that bliss. Some would call it denial.

Last edited by Screwdriva : 24th February 2009 at 09:19.
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 10:13   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
i20, made in India is, but a few thousands less than the Ambiente 1.2. So whats the commotion of high pricing. If so, then Hyndai is as guilty if not more. Everyone deserves a second chance, so...
to me I20 looks better though. Both Swift and Fabia have these design cues which I dont like.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:08   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 110
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Fabia Elegance! Is this the new variant of the car?
nanopano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:37   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopano View Post
Fabia Elegance! Is this the new variant of the car?
New variant with the 1.2 Engine. It was earlier available in the 1.4 avatar.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 17:49   #26
Newbie
 
martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

The Fabia has the best ride quality in the hatch segment. Even though the engine is years slower than the competition (i20 and the Swift) the ride and handling in the city as well as on the highway compensate for the performance glitch.

I suggest the Fabia 1.2 is the best buy in the compact car segment in India today.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 18:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

A Fabia makes sense when you can think of it as a car used for everyday city driving..irrespective of weather its a hatch or a sedan or an SUV or the number of cylinders. Its has 4 doors, 4 seats and does everything a sedan does except it cannot fit as much luggage.

Think about it..when was the last time you filled up you boot to the max..and how many times a year does that happen.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 20:49   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

How will the Fabia Elegance 1.2 compare to the Swift ZXI on features and price?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 08:21   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 308
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Actually pretty sad that they discontinued the 1.4 fabia. I bought one at the launch, as an urban commuter, and its doing extremely well (touchwood).
Its a compact bundle of all of skodas values, and calling it refined is an understatement. Pity Indians love only diesels and their faulty perceptions that a large petrol is a gas guzzler. Its presently returning b/w 12.6 & 13.2 KMPL in town, and the a/c is never off. Its give or take as fast as a stock swift (driven one extensively) and the features it offers are unmatched. The accord does not have most of them !
it runs BEST on 91 octane, and 13.2 kmpl @ 48.8 rs a litre is not too high a price to pay for commuting in such comfort IMO.
Ash_vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 10:17   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Actually pretty sad that they discontinued the 1.4 fabia. I bought one at the launch, as an urban commuter, and its doing extremely well (touchwood).
Its a compact bundle of all of skodas values, and calling it refined is an understatement. Pity Indians love only diesels and their faulty perceptions that a large petrol is a gas guzzler. Its presently returning b/w 12.6 & 13.2 KMPL in town, and the a/c is never off. Its give or take as fast as a stock swift (driven one extensively) and the features it offers are unmatched. The accord does not have most of them !
it runs BEST on 91 octane, and 13.2 kmpl @ 48.8 rs a litre is not too high a price to pay for commuting in such comfort IMO.
I did a test drive of Fabia 1.2 Ambiente this weekend. I asked the Skoda executive about Skoda's reasons for discontinuing the 1.4 Petrol. The answer was India's petrol is not good enough for their engine so they had so many problems with that car!!! Think about it! Skoda is genius.

While I liked the car but it is definitely overpriced and doesnt give same luxury feeling (as the likes of NHC, 1.4 Petrol Elegance used to cost the same). And Skodas have a history of screwing (pardon the word but is there a better word in English than this) their customers.

I didnt feel anything special about the car!
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Rapid (MPI Elegance MT): Test-drives & Initial Ownership Report smydtt Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 29th September 2016 19:09
Fabia Elegance 1.4 MPI Owners. Need Help! sunit Technical Stuff 5 2nd November 2008 20:40
White Elegance - The Fabia 1.4 MPI SidMeer Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 20 29th September 2008 00:53
Skoda Fabia 1.2 MPI AdvaithC Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 63 6th August 2008 22:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks