Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 00:52   #2416
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 525 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Too many gizmos, too much electronics in use, Mahindra are not there yet, this car too like high end Scorpios and Xylo will be prone to many electronic and drive train failures.

Instead of American Gizmo laden vehicles the focus has to like Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi on performance and reliability.
desertfox is offline  
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:11   #2417
BHPian
 
man_and_machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 428
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
this is a really good offering by Mahindra. frankly speaking there is no competition at present! SUV's a segment above have something to fear about!

I need to know few very important things which i didn't read anywhere..

1) Does it have lumbar support and if yes then on both front or only the driver seat?

2) Does it have electric adjustments for front seats or manual? and how many ways is the front seats adjustable?

3) Does it have auto dimming or dimming rear view and ORVM's?

4) Does it have any tray behind the front seats for the middle row passengers where they can keep laptop or something?

5) Is the Sat-Nav by Mapmyindia or someone else? as mapmyindia is reportedly the best in india so far..

6) how is the underthigh support and general comfort for the middle row passengers?

7) Does it have follow me home lights or any other option which is usually present in the 20 lac car ?! ;-)


I hope if anyone who has the right info and had a TD can answer these questions..

Thanx.
Just saw the machine in flesh! From the out side you will really wonder if it is a Mahindra! Step inside and those familiar with Scorpio will feel at home! Its not that bad but you still can smell the Mahindra inside. Nevertheless for a completely home grown product this is a fantastic vehicle.

Now answering your queries from what I could see.

1. Driver seat has lumbar support
2. Manual even in the W8 version
3. No I guess, I saw it in day light but it did not seem like its the auto dimming type
4. No could not see one. but the Front dash can hold a laptop (14" I guess)
5. Could not see than switched on. will talk about that tomorrow
6. Middle row could have been better, I felt its a bit high and a bit short ( I am comparing the Safari middle row seating here)
7. Yes! it does and more things that 20 L cars have

My feeling about this. I still need a TD, I have been promised tomorrow lets see if I can get up in the list!

There are lot of things in this car, filled to the brim I hope Mahindra can carry on really when with all this. The car should have all character that from what it has to really hold all that together. Its one thing to wear things, it a totally another thing to carry it gracefully.

There are a lot of things that are a fist for Mahindra in this car and I would really like to see that they have got it right. I really want to see an "Indian" car compete with the likes for T-Fort for instance!

More on this once I do the TD!
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:25   #2418
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Just saw the machine in flesh! From the out side you will really wonder if it is a Mahindra! Step inside and those familiar with Scorpio will feel at home! Its not that bad but you still can smell the Mahindra inside. Nevertheless for a completely home grown product this is a fantastic vehicle.

Now answering your queries from what I could see.

1. Driver seat has lumbar support
2. Manual even in the W8 version
3. No I guess, I saw it in day light but it did not seem like its the auto dimming type
4. No could not see one. but the Front dash can hold a laptop (14" I guess)
5. Could not see than switched on. will talk about that tomorrow
6. Middle row could have been better, I felt its a bit high and a bit short ( I am comparing the Safari middle row seating here)
7. Yes! it does and more things that 20 L cars have

My feeling about this. I still need a TD, I have been promised tomorrow lets see if I can get up in the list!

There are lot of things in this car, filled to the brim I hope Mahindra can carry on really when with all this. The car should have all character that from what it has to really hold all that together. Its one thing to wear things, it a totally another thing to carry it gracefully.

There are a lot of things that are a fist for Mahindra in this car and I would really like to see that they have got it right. I really want to see an "Indian" car compete with the likes for T-Fort for instance!

More on this once I do the TD!

thanks man.. but do check and confirm about auto dimming rear view mirrors as i think even the top end scorpio has it so it should be there.

overall i feel that Tata will need to go back to the drawing board and re-plan the whole upcoming safari update merlin. because i think it will be max to max as much feature laden as the aria which again is much less compared to this!

another option i would have loved is an auto box for sure... and maybe if they can throw in a panoramic sunroof... if thats not being too greedy

does anyone have any idea about auto box option will be available or not and if yes when?
magikrider is offline  
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:45   #2419
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default

Found this MotorBeam review on YouTube. The more I see the XUV500 in black, the more I like it

anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:18   #2420
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,776
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
thanks man.. but do check and confirm about auto dimming rear view mirrors as i think even the top end scorpio has it so it should be there.

overall i feel that Tata will need to go back to the drawing board and re-plan the whole upcoming safari update merlin. because i think it will be max to max as much feature laden as the aria which again is much less compared to this!

another option i would have loved is an auto box for sure... and maybe if they can throw in a panoramic sunroof... if thats not being too greedy

does anyone have any idea about auto box option will be available or not and if yes when?
I was watching the car and bike show , and SVP mentioned that an AT version is in development.
blackasta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:23   #2421
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast101 View Post
Thats great congrats, is this vehicle available through CSD I thought there is still some time for that.
No its not available in canteen as of now but the guy i deal with told me that it would be there in another few months like by december and said that you can save around 1.5 for w6. But since i couldnt wait for another 6-7 months hence i went ahead and booked it from outside.
However i still have the option to go for canteen as its only 1k if i cancel my booking outside. Let see if by december i get to know that its there in canteen with a waiting of another 3 months, then i will go for canteen as i would save 1.5 lakhs and then i can spend that money on leather seat, ICE and alloy wheels.
nitinralli is offline  
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:37   #2422
BHPian
 
LobsterB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I saw a TBHP stickered ARIA in front of the showroom. psbali???
That was me and civic-sense.

The vehicle in fact looks much better in person. The way launch is managed is very good. Compared to Aria launch there are enough vehicles, trained staff and information/brochures. XUV is surely going to sell well. The pricing and features are awesome.

The front row seats have very good sliding range, perhaps a bit too much! Second row has good leg-room even with front row at the rearmost position. But in spite of both these felt a bit claustrophobic on both these seats compared to my regular drive. Perhaps this was due to the relatively high bonnet level combined with a bit lower seating position i.e. prefer the overall "greenhouse" or airiness of Aria. Similarly find the theme and overall feel of Aria cabin to be more in line with my taste.

Does anybody know the Kerb Weight of XUV? Somehow felt that the doors (particularly hatch door) to be a bit light. Also felt it is noticeably shorter and compact than Aria, but wonder why they didn't reducing the turning radius, bringing it down to 5.4 like Innova would have been a nice idea. Infact wonder whether they will come up with a XUV 300 without the 3rd row seating and better interior quality. The current third row with almost zero luggage space behind seems to be a bad idea for long distance trips.

Went to India Garage as well looking for a TD. But with bumper to bumper traffic all around MG road area, didn't feel like waiting for 45mts for our slot. Will try again tomorrow.

XUV seems to be the next Scorpio from many perspectives. Won't be surprised if some variants of Scorpio disappear/re-positioned in the near future. Also will be interesting to see how Tata plays the Merlin card now. Suddenly two Safari versions with one going against Scorpio and other against XUV seems like a nice idea. But not sure whether the Merlin body shell is different enough to be perceived that way.
LobsterB is offline  
Old 2nd October 2011, 05:09   #2423
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

going a bit OT here but..

i wonder where this leaves its step brothers the korando and the rexton?!

i reckon the korando if priced right (15-18 lacs) will again destroy whats remained of the competition after the XUV effect.. with its high end interiors and more powerful engine and overall more upmarket feel
magikrider is offline  
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:13   #2424
BHPian
 
ScorpWarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 57
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

I keep reading about cramped third row seats, what i want to know is how 'cramped' are they compared to scorpio? Is the legroom LESS than the legroom in scorpio when 2nd row seat (in scorpio) is pushed back all the way ? Or is it more? and how does it compare when scorpio 2 nd row seat is pushed forward all the way ? Anyone compared this? Cant wait to check it out in person. Ideal scenario is Xuv third row leg room MORE than scorpio 3rd row when 2nd row pushed all forward. Am I expecting too much?

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 2nd October 2011 at 08:25.
ScorpWarp is offline  
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:38   #2425
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Like the keys. Almost Skoda like, although they could be "Blacker" if that makes sense? Nice touch, providing two with controls and folding keys.
The keys even have remote boot open, nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I need to know few very important things which i didn't read anywhere..

1) Does it have lumbar support and if yes then on both front or only the driver seat?
Yes, on both the front seats.

Quote:
2) Does it have electric adjustments for front seats or manual? and how many ways is the front seats adjustable?
8 way adjustable, but manual.

Quote:
3) Does it have auto dimming or dimming rear view and ORVM's?
No.

Quote:
4) Does it have any tray behind the front seats for the middle row passengers where they can keep laptop or something?
No.

Quote:
5) Is the Sat-Nav by Mapmyindia or someone else? as mapmyindia is reportedly the best in india so far..
Its from Map My India.

Quote:
6) how is the underthigh support and general comfort for the middle row passengers?
I find the underthigh support to be better than innova.

Quote:
7) Does it have follow me home lights or any other option which is usually present in the 20 lac car ?! ;-)
It has follow me home as well as lead me to car lamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
Dual zone climate control in XUV 500 - Is it for the driver and passenger side or is it referring to front and rear HVAC settings

If it refers to the latter, How does one change the HVAC settings for the rear?
XUV500 does not have dual zone HVAC. There are seperate controls with a seperate condenser for the third row. You can see the pics I have posted in Pg. 152.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Too many gizmos, too much electronics in use, Mahindra are not there yet, this car too like high end Scorpios and Xylo will be prone to many electronic and drive train failures.

Instead of American Gizmo laden vehicles the focus has to like Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi on performance and reliability.
Cmon, these are just speculations. Till anything goes wrong, we need to applaud mahindra for their efforts. if any major breakdown happens, we can bash them! That would be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
thanks man.. but do check and confirm about auto dimming rear view mirrors as i think even the top end scorpio has it so it should be there.
Scorpio does not have auto dimming mirrors.

Quote:
another option i would have loved is an auto box for sure...
The A/T version is already ready & crash tested, but maybe will be for the international markets first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
I keep reading about cramped third row seats, what i want to know is how 'cramped' are they compared to scorpio? Is the legroom LESS than the legroom in scorpio when 2nd row seat (in scorpio) is pushed back all the way ? Or is it more? and how does it compare when scorpio 2 nd row seat is pushed forward all the way ? Anyone compared this? Cant wait to check it out in person. Ideal scenario is Xuv third row leg room MORE than scorpio 3rd row when 2nd row pushed all forward. Am I expecting too much?
XUV's 3rd row legroom is more than scorpio & Aria & a bit less than Innova. Xylo is still the 3rd row champ!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd October 2011 at 08:41.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:44   #2426
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

why is this compared to Merlin, isnt merlin just a facelift of current safari. So, it will be competing with scorpio and not xuv. Going by the spy pics, there seems to be no changes from a-pillar to the rear, although interiors will be different. There was a aria platform based suv rumored, that will be on xuv league. Only other option for tata is to reduce price of aria.

Back to xuv. When the w201 news first came out in press, an year or so back, there was a talk of 2 engine options 140 and 170 bhp. Anyone knows if a 170bhp is in works?
mxx is online now  
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:47   #2427
BHPian
 
devil_klm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 407
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Found this MotorBeam review on YouTube. The more I see the XUV500 in black, the more I like it
MotorBeam review seems to be more of pointing out the cons of vehicle.

See the ndtv review.

First ride of Mahindra's XUV 500

Last edited by devil_klm : 2nd October 2011 at 08:48.
devil_klm is offline  
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:05   #2428
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 585
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Had a W8 TD yesterday night in thick traffic, driving from the Mahindra showroom in Nelson Manickam road, towards Pachaiappas and back to the showroom. I couldnt go past the 2nd gear except for a 100m burst in 3rd - my impressions are limited to this drive.

* Fabulous driving position - I am 5'8" and found the driving position spot-on. However my nephew at 6'2" found it a little uncomfortable.
* Excellent Steering wheel - easy to grab, hold, steer and feels much better than my Swifdy's wheel. Couldnt gauge the response in the short ride.
* Horn button placement in the middle and found it a little difficult to engage in the bumper-to-bumper traffic with auto's
* Horn sounded very feeble inside maybe due to the noise insulation, but a power-horn upgrade is mandatory
* Chiller AirConditioning - atleast for the front row
* Very good noise insulation in the cabin - could barely hear the engine with windows up, even with FM and A/C off
* Excellent dash - the fonts could have been better, though
* Good Voice control - heard it being used to change FM stations and it worked in the 2nd attempt
* Puddle lamps all around with enough white-light illumination
* Poor view in IRVM with head-restraints and adults up in the last row - infact never saw anything but the light glares
* Excellent view from ORVM, but felt the left could have had a little more angle
* Prismatic IRVM and not auto-dimming, ORVM seems to be auto-dimming but not very sure
* Engaging the 1st needed some effort, it wouldnt slot right-away and returned to neutral sometimes
* However the gear-lever and throw is excellent - car-like
* Dont know if the maps were MMI, but had excellent accuracy
* Couldnt find out effectiveness of the projectors
* Sliding arm-rest with storage is very helpful, but couldnt rest the right-arm sufficiently
* Didnt like the inner door handles placement - have to exert more pressure to close the door, could have been a little back
* Very car-like driving experience

I wish I had the moolah to buy this car.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 2nd October 2011 at 09:08.
Rocky_Balboa is online now  
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:15   #2429
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Just read on Autocar that there is going to be an engine upgrade to 170 Bhp in future. But no mention about the timeframe. Is it really true?

-HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline  
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:20   #2430
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 705
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

- The design is terribly overdone. They could have done away with the false wheel arches, the false teeth, and the false mustache and the car would have looked awesome. It looks better when you stand closer to the vehicle. But stand a few feet away and all the in-cohesiveness of the design becomes apparent. In fact, they chose the wrong car to apply the cheetah theme to. Door handles modeled on cat paws? Who came up with this idea?

- Definitely priced well. Expect the price to go up at least a lakh more in the near future and a further lakh once they bring a W2 and W4. Would love to see a variant below 10L, which is the sweet spot for any car buyer in Bangalore. And, it must be just me, but somehow I do not feel comfortable spending more than 10L on an Indian car.

- The dash looked good in pics, but in flesh, it was a different story. The plastics (especially in black) looked bad, the AC vents were straight from chinese toys, and the faux-wood finish did not look like wood at all. Leather seats were beautiful even in brown/plum. The front seats traveled a lot, and with it pushed back, my toes weren't reaching the pedals. Second row has too much of leg room. I wished the seats could move forward and backward. Zero boot space with third row up - too bad.
civic-sense is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs Aditya The Indian Car Scene 1171 28th October 2015 11:35
M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6, 62000 kms update Sathya_sc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 165 11th March 2015 10:45
Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts SDP The Indian Car Scene 65 9th June 2013 18:03
Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!! GTO The Indian Car Scene 447 16th February 2012 11:36
VW offensive continues: New Passat *UPDATE* Launched @ 20.8 Lakhs Pg.5 Abhi_Automobile The Indian Car Scene 133 8th April 2011 18:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks