Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th September 2009, 12:24   #286
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

SRK design MM SUV looks better than the fortuner, MM should employee him and get rid of the Xylo design team.
Old 26th September 2009, 09:47   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Here is a rendering done by fellow bhpian "SRK", that i found on orkut.

Attachment 196713
Very futuristic design. Can Mahindra give us an SUV like this ? Can't wait to see the actual design. Thanks for the share.
Old 26th September 2009, 12:12   #288
BHPian

The SRK design looks good.
It also has lots of the American'ish SUV looks. Probably a possible contender in the US market.

But, is Mahindra really capable of silencing people (like me) who feel the design is too sophisticated for M&M to handle?

The facelifted Scoprio is good. At one end.
The Xylo is at the other end. Right at the extreme.

One good design --> one bad design --> One more good design (cyclic)??
Old 26th September 2009, 18:53   #289
BHPian

This is a very good design and if manufactured could become the best looking SUV in india. I hope this design is copyrighted. Mahindra, are you looking?
Old 30th September 2009, 18:00   #290
BHPian

Just fumbled upon the DWS site. And it says.............................................. ...

According to Goenka, the new global SUVís basic body structure would be the same as that of the Scorpio, but the vehicle can be a right-hand drive or left-hand drive one, can meet various safety requirements, and can run on different fuels. The first vehicle of the kind will come out with a diesel option. Other options such as a hybrid variant could follow, Goenka told reporters.

What does this mean?
Old 30th September 2009, 18:28   #291
BHPian

confirmed news:

2.2ltr refined engine ( both petrol & Diesel )
140bhp
10-12lacs
expected by mid 2010
Scorpio will not be phased out, it will receive the same treatment has bolero when scorpio was launched.

regards
Deepak

Last edited by kdeepakk : 30th September 2009 at 18:29. Reason: addition
Old 30th September 2009, 19:31   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
Just fumbled upon the DWS site. And it says.............................................. ...

According to Goenka, the new global SUVís basic body structure would be the same as that of the Scorpio, but the vehicle can be a right-hand drive or left-hand drive one, can meet various safety requirements, and can run on different fuels. The first vehicle of the kind will come out with a diesel option. Other options such as a hybrid variant could follow, Goenka told reporters.

What does this mean?
Well for one it means that it will not be a monocoque but a basic body on frame structure. This is a big let down as firstly the Scorpio platform's handling is nothing to write home about despite the Lotus tinkering, and add a more powerful 2.2 version this SUV wont be the most confident around corners.

Hoping i'm proven wrong, will have to wait and watch.
Old 30th September 2009, 19:38   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Well for one it means that it will not be a monocoque but a basic body on frame structure. This is a big let down as firstly the Scorpio platform's handling is nothing to write home about despite the Lotus tinkering, and add a more powerful 2.2 version this SUV wont be the most confident around corners.

Hoping i'm proven wrong, will have to wait and watch.
AFAIK most of the rugged SUVs are body on frame structures. Only the soft roaders have monocoque bodies. So IMO there is nothing wrong with having body on frame structure if they can design it well and safe.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:06   #294
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
This is a big let down as firstly the Scorpio platform's handling is nothing to write home
You can say that again. And extend it to the Xylo's high speed manners too. Mahindra would benefit from taking Cosworths help perhaps? They've opened shop in Pune!

There are several examples of body-on-frames which handle acceptably well. Closer to home, the new Fortuner is pretty safe and predictable at 140 kph.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:56   #295
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post

What does this mean?
Same basic body structure may imply same size -that is a worry, they do need to increase the length of the body and the chassis for both stability at high speed and better second row space.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:47   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Same basic body structure may imply same size -that is a worry, they do need to increase the length of the body and the chassis for both stability at high speed and better second row space.
You said it.

What I would expect from a new Scorpio is :

1) Better passenger space (esp in second row).
2) Better Suspension.
3) Better Interior trim( especially the plastics)
4) Good 4WD with LSD (should be niggle-free)

All this at a sensible price.

Although, I lust for the Fortuner, it is way beyond what I ( & most salaried people) can afford.
Old 1st October 2009, 15:18   #297
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
You said it.

What I would expect from a new Scorpio is :

1) Better passenger space (esp in second row).
2) Better Suspension.
3) Better Interior trim( especially the plastics)
4) Good 4WD with LSD (should be niggle-free)

All this at a sensible price.

Although, I lust for the Fortuner, it is way beyond what I ( & most salaried people) can afford.
And the Fortuner will not depreciate much in the second hand market either for long.

Addtionally Scorpio needs to go a bit shorter, with a further raked angle for the windshield, and quite simply copy either the safari, pajero, endy or fortuner rear.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:55   #298
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Guys,

i saw this test mule on the Airport road 2 days back, this will be great looking suv when imagined with the rendering from SRK. I just managed to get couple of shots before the vehicle passed me. The driver should be crazy to drive the vehicle like that, just passed me in a blink but i could hear the nasty engine noise even inside my car.

I could compare the size as it passed parallel to a Tuscon, it was almost the same height and width without the extra paddings. The front hood seems to be high, not sure it could be because of the unfinished body.

Great work and I could only see it will be hot to see mahindra with a real world class suv.

Harry.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img00019.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 28th October 2009, 05:05   #299
BHPian

Indiaautosblog has this post today:

"Indian Autos Blog will not be updated on Wednesday (28th October) as we will be at the Premier-Zotye Rio launch in Mumbai. Following this launch, in the afternoon, we have been invited to attend a Mahindra product launch also. We donít know what the product is, weíre told its not the refreshed Renault Logan, Sandero or other Renault products."

http://***************.com/2009/10/w...-from-mahindra

So, what is this surprise launch from Mahindra?

a) The new 2010 SUV
b) The Xylo mHawk
c) The taxi-variant of the Xylo
c) The Scorpio with airbags
d) The Scorpio AT with paddle shift (wishful thinking)
Old 28th October 2009, 09:15   #300
Senior - BHPian

i hope they its the new 2010 SUV!

but i think it would be the xylo with the mustang engine (for the taxi market).
Closed Thread