Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 12:53   #1261
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Pics on Page 50! SCOOP Pics on Pg.

In my opinion, it is bringing some Jeep Grand Cherokee DNA in it. Looks awesome. Tata is very late this time, if this is priced correctly, it will be a tough competition for Merlin as well as Aria.

Last edited by throttleking : 17th August 2011 at 12:54.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:23   #1262
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Pics on Page 50! SCOOP Pics on Pg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Did you just say that the Vitara's interiors looked more plush!!? I expected more from M&M and hope this statement of yours is wrong
I guess Vitara has one of the least desirable interiors in that segment. And since it retails for ~17L ex showroom Delhi, if W201 is at least 2L cheaper, this can be overlooked.
Old 17th August 2011, 18:07   #1263
Zed
BHPian

The pics look promising. Although the petrol-head jury is still out on both the Scorpio and the Xylo, from a commercial perspective these have been success stories for M&M. And M&M seems to be making the best of the market acceptance of its offering. The W201 is certainly a step in the right direction. Will be interesting to see how M&Ms first front wheel drive 'SUV' handles with a heavy front end with no rear diff. Considering its monocoque body & transverse engine layout (front wheel drive) I guess its more of a crossover rather than an SUV. It is a fact that conventional definitions of SUVs, MAVs & Crossovers are beginning to blur in many Automotive markets and its just convenient to use the term SUV. With a 170 hp engine option for the future I think the 'S' in the SUV is certainly justified, at least from an Indian context. If the on-road pricing will be in the Rs 11 - 13 lakh bracket for the 2WD version, with decent build quality, finish and fairly good interiors, M&M have a winner in their stable.
Old 17th August 2011, 19:30   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess Vitara has one of the least desirable interiors in that segment. And since it retails for ~17L ex showroom Delhi, if W201 is at least 2L cheaper, this can be overlooked.
Yes but the Vitara is expensive because it is a CBU. Produced alongside the W201, it will be even cheaper! In that way, I felt the W210 should be plusher
Old 18th August 2011, 06:58   #1265
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

not likely, this pricing level. this could be the ex showroom price though - around 13-15 lacs ex showroom not less. they simply wont price it in line with the Scorpio and wont want to play in the similar segment with this vehicle, given all that they have stuffed into it.
that said, the quality etc has to be viewed in the final production models before the consumers pass judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
If the on-road pricing will be in the Rs 11 - 13 lakh bracket for the 2WD version, with decent build quality, finish and fairly good interiors, M&M have a winner in their stable.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:40   #1266
BHPian

is mahindra planning exclusive dealership for this premium offering ?

came across an ad in ascent for recruitment of sales staff for excusive dealerships to deal with premium customers at select cities across india.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:53   #1267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
is mahindra planning exclusive dealership for this premium offering ?

came across an ad in ascent for recruitment of sales staff for excusive dealerships to deal with premium customers at select cities across india.
I guess that could be for Ssangyong. W201 is known to be M&M and I dont think they will exclusive dealership for this product. But they may retain the Ssangyong as another brand and not as a Mahindra.

Edit:: Is there a way you could scan the piece or take a pic in digicam or mobile and paste it here please?
Old 18th August 2011, 11:43   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess that could be for Ssangyong. W201 is known to be M&M and I dont think they will exclusive dealership for this product. But they may retain the Ssangyong as another brand and not as a Mahindra.

Edit:: Is there a way you could scan the piece or take a pic in digicam or mobile and paste it here please?
Attaching the Pic as you requested

also attaching the source

Article Window
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-photo0587.jpg  

psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 15:12   #1269
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
not likely, this pricing level. this could be the ex showroom price though - around 13-15 lacs ex showroom not less. they simply wont price it in line with the Scorpio and wont want to play in the similar segment with this vehicle, given all that they have stuffed into it.
that said, the quality etc has to be viewed in the final production models before the consumers pass judgement.
Agree with you - but to clarify what im on about, I hope theres a base option without the BorgWarner 4 WD system and other bells\whistles but just aircon & ABS that sells for under 13 lakhs OTR - just to draw potential buyers to the showrooms who may then opt for higher versions once they have taken a test drive and like the feel of the vehicle. A 15 laks plus price tag might just keep a lot of potential customers from walking into showrooms - unless the value of the rupee has changed dramatically in the last 10 months that ive been away from India and Rs 15 lakh is the new 13 lakh!
Old 18th August 2011, 15:14   #1270
Senior - BHPian

If the pricing would be of the range that is mentioned below then it would be bang in contention with the Aria although this pics do suggest a full blown SUV where as the Aria looks like a over grown MUV with 4 WD (just my opinion)

The question is who has got it right in the market. Would it be the same priced 13-15 lacs SUV type vehicle (Mahindra) or a MUV powered with 4 wheels (Aria now with 2WD as well) that will win the heart of the customer. It may so happen that both may have a different segment to cater to and survive in the long run. But my gut feel is that Mahindra has a winner in this package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Old 18th August 2011, 19:24   #1271
Senior - BHPian

If I'm not mistaken shankar.balan has already said that is scheduled to come only in 2WD mode to begin with and if 13-15 lakh is the estimated ex-showroom for these variants, then the 4WD versions when they come out will definitely be more than 15 lakhs ex-showroom. I wouldnt be surprised if this is priced right in the vicinity of Aria - which generally has been perceived as a little overpriced (atleast for the 4X4 variants).

Eitherways, I expect the 2WD variants to sell more, and I expect the politico fan base of the scorpio to shift to this automatically. Macho looking, Big and Menacing are the 3 key requirements for this buyer profile and M&M knows this pretty well. I expect to see this running with (god-knows-what) party flags on their bonnet all over the streets of TN :(
Old 18th August 2011, 21:15   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Agree with you - but to clarify what im on about, I hope theres a base option without the BorgWarner 4 WD system and other bells\whistles but just aircon & ABS that sells for under 13 lakhs OTR - just to draw potential buyers to the showrooms who may then opt for higher versions once they have taken a test drive and like the feel of the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
If I'm not mistaken shankar.balan has already said that is scheduled to come only in 2WD mode to begin with and if 13-15 lakh is the estimated ex-showroom for these variants, then the 4WD versions when they come out will definitely be more than 15 lakhs ex-showroom. I wouldnt be surprised if this is priced right in the vicinity of Aria - which generally has been perceived as a little overpriced (atleast for the 4X4 variants).
+1. News of 2WD first & 4WD later is what even I have read. In addition, I read in some scoop that a twin turbo higher powered version [~170 bhp] also might come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
If the pricing would be of the range that is mentioned below then it would be bang in contention with the Aria although this pics do suggest a full blown SUV where as the Aria looks like a over grown MUV with 4 WD (just my opinion)
I guess this car will compete with Aria. But the trick is going to be the pricing. Aria just bridged the gap with the 2WD variant and we need to see how W201 is going to be priced. The only option I guess is that W201 base overlapping with the top end scorpio giving the customers a choice whether they need a 4x4 option [Scorp] or a 2WD version [W201]. We may get the answer on Sep 26.
Old 18th August 2011, 22:17   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Any guess about the name during the launch? Any one has a clue? If it comes in September could that be Virgo? Or Libra (libro)? :-)

Btw, I started using team-bhp ipad app. This is my first post through it, it's veery cool. Thanks to team.

Last edited by agbenny : 18th August 2011 at 22:19.
Old 19th August 2011, 09:21   #1274
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

nope. i said that the lower end and mid version would be FWD 2WD and the top end would have AWD. the pricing will be expensive-ish - possibly the low end W201 will be in line with the mid/top level Scorp but M&M will definitely be sensible in comparison to the initial foray of the Aria. Also because the Aria has just become a lot more competitive with the introduction of the 2WD at a lower price. Perhaps Tata's impeccable timing in this will impact M&M's launch pricing strategy a bit, and this is frankly for the better, from the point of view of the end consumers for this vehicle.
and YES - the wicked Politicos and nasty real estate goons and scummy mining rascals will all flock to this vehicle as it is more or less the same size as the Captiva, looks menacing and hence, it will surely be a hit amongst those who believe that Might is Right!
From what I have seen of the W201 in the feedback session - it is really nice in many ways and I am sure that the shortcomings in the proto would be ironed out in production. All in all it will be a very viable product for us SUV mad Indians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

Eitherways, I expect the 2WD variants to sell more, and I expect the politico fan base of the scorpio to shift to this automatically. Macho looking, Big and Menacing are the 3 key requirements for this buyer profile and M&M knows this pretty well. I expect to see this running with (god-knows-what) party flags on their bonnet all over the streets of TN :(
Old 19th August 2011, 18:39   #1275
Senior - BHPian

My updates on this subject- W201 is supposed to be launched in the range of 16-18 lacs. In Hyderabad, they are opening an exclusive workshop(sanathnagar?) to cater to W201 clients only.
The car apparently has 18-20 computers on board and is sohisticated for M&M. So, lot of training and niche segmentation is expected even for its maintenance staff apart from sales team.
My 2 cents!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed