Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 22:43   #196
BHPian
 
live2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 525
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
1 more addition

If Verna feels boring to drive, as a strategy its designed that way as they do not want drviers to get excited as a safety feature more so because there are no airbags
Mr Vehicle Priest (vahanpujari), no offences meant but there's no need to get personal here. Everyone here is entitled to his/her opinions. If you personally don't like the vehicle, no need to jot down comments which are of no use. No point arguing. Each car has its pros and cons.

Let's please stick to the topic of the thread.

Last edited by live2drive : 30th March 2009 at 22:49.
live2drive is offline  
Old 30th March 2009, 23:11   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,034
Thanked: 215 Times
Default

Abhinav - Mr Pujari here seems to be too against the Verna here.

I think he likes the Linea, which of course is a good car.

As far as the Verna goes - let people say whatever they want to. It still has one of the best engines out there. There is NO DOUBT about it.

Anyways, Guys - PLEASE get back to the topic here. This Thread is only meant for a Comparison between the LINEA / VERNA / FIESTA.
vkochar is offline  
Old 30th March 2009, 23:16   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Mr Vehicle Priest (vahanpujari), no offences meant but there's no need to get personal here. Everyone here is entitled to his/her opinions. If you personally don't like the vehicle, no need to jot down comments which are of no use. No point arguing. Each car has its pros and cons.

Let's please stick to the topic of the thread.
live2drive +1 on that aspect .and Mr. vehicle Priest the tone that you used is not something thats been appreciated too much on TBHP , even though you have articulated it nicely. I belive that all TBHPians have the right to be passionate in articulating facts or opinions about thier set of wheels and not be mocked at for it.


there is a saying a malayalam " kakkakku than Kunju pon kujnu " which loosely translated means that - to the crow its kid is the best and most precious....

and yes let just get back to the topic at hand the Fiat / Fiesta and verna !
hellstar is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 01:17   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 920
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

There is nothing in Vahan pujari posts that suggest they are not in the spirit of teambhp where unbiased opinion is what matters, on the contrary he is very funny and it's a pity some of us are unable to appreciate his humour that brings out the needless defensiveness of folks who own the cars they discuss, and this thread has plenty of that. What's the point in having an unbiased discussion then?

Surely just because one owns a car doesn't mean one can't concede it's weaknesses. Folks making excuses for manufacturers who take us for a ride whenever possible is not in the spirit of team-bhp. You can hardly have an unbiased discussion about these cars if their owners are going to get defensive and talk up known weaknesses.
raul is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 08:44   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,267
Thanked: 1,279 Times
Default

I would agree with Raul & Vahanpujari here!

The strength & weakness of a vehicle can only be known when its owners are ready to discuss it in an open forum like TBHP.

It helps the buyers in making a decision about their next car and also the manufacturers to improve who are silent guests here watching the forum.

If the manufacturer feels that the owners are happy with whatever they offer and there are a set of people to praise the badge they are going to sit on our heads just like how Skoda did. Its not a nice scene here for Skoda and most of you would agree.

Please stop taking things offencively since Hyundai has its own PR team under their payroll to talk only the good things about the car.

Try to accept negative criticism and respond more constructively.
anachronix is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 09:08   #201
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,034
Thanked: 215 Times
Default

Raul & Anachronix - You are right when you say that this being an open forum, all can discuss the pros & cons of a vehicle. I am all for it.

But then when you start commenting on the people who drive these cars, it gets a bit nasty then. I have seen it happen on other threads.

I know the Verna has a few drawbacks like NO Airbags etc. Discuss them freely but then simply by saying that the drivers driving Verna's are such & such people is not Fair.

So please once again discuss the pros & cons of the vehicle and not judje the people driving them.
vkochar is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 10:46   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

guys lets just keep to discussing cars not people .....
hellstar is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 11:20   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,034
Thanked: 215 Times
Default

Ok, now sticking to the thread. People here will come to this thread only for one reason and that is to decide which car they want to buy out of the 3 listed.

I own a Verna which I have driven for 13500 km's or so. I have also driven a Ford Fiesta for more than 2000kms during a Rajasthan trip I did last year in my friend's fiesta. So I can comment on these 2 cars. The 3rd one Linea I cannot comment as I have not driven one till date. I am sure it's a good car.

Here is my take on the Verna & Fiesta - Doing this topic wise -

Interiors / Looks - Now these are subjective ( especially Exteriors ). Some like Fiesta and others like Verna. I liked the Verna for it's simple and sporty looks.

On the other hand I loved the Fiesta's Interiors. But when it comes to functionality, then the verna is tops The Verna has oodles of space inside.

I am a 6ft guy who weighs 95 !! I love to drive the car with my seat pulled back as much as possible. The rear passengers are always cribbing. With the verna I have hardly heard anyone complain. The fiesta had less room in comparison.

And yes,, coming to the safety point of view. Why are we bashing the Verna so much on not giving Airbags. There are countless number of cars being sold without airbags right now. I agree it is a mistake but pointing the Verna out only is not fair.

Engine & Drive - The 110 bhp engine of the Verna is too good and the pickup and torque is out of this world. One of the best diesels out there.

FE is also quite good and I am getting 16 - 17 kpl in city / highway mix driving and 100% AC on.

Fiesta has a good engine and has better FE than the Verna but feels underpowered. For City driving the Fiesta feels much better.

GC - The Fiesta has poor GC in comparison to the Verna. I do not what the actuall mm is but when were in the Fiesta with full load, it used to kiss every speedbreaker.

I recently went to Punjab in my verna with a full load of 4 people and luggage. Now I went with stock tyres, I had aboslutely no problem in doing speeds of 120 - 140 kph. Also no problems in braking. ( I do not have ABS ).

As far as the Chassis goes - I think Verna has a very capable chassis. Better than many other rivals.

Coming to the After Sales Part - Hyundai's Services are better than Ford's anyday and a lot of Ford's customers here will also second that.

So my vote out of these 2 cars will go for the Verna.

Fiesta would be more advisable if you are into more city driving and also have a decent Ford Service Centre in your city.
vkochar is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 12:07   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 136
Thanked: 35 Times
Default to each his own

I am a satisfied Fiesta D owner. It has not given me any any issues on various handling conditions. That said I am not a speed demon with a formula one track in mind. I like to enjoy the drive and the fiesta fullfills that criteria. Having said that I personally am not very happy with the looks of the fiesta anymore. When i say anymore what i mean is that with the arrival of the Linea and the ANHC the fiesta is starting to age. I personally am very impressed with the styling of the Linea. It looks expensive compared to the competitors. The verna never really apealed to me as far as the looks go but i must mention one thing about it that impresses me besides the engine. It has a nice variety of colors. The deep pearl blue is refreshing. SOmehow most other cars come with very typical color options.I am not a high speed person but i would like to add that the verna D at high speeds didnt give me much confidence. What i mean is I didnt feel in control of the car. Where as I felt no such issues with the Fiesta. When I say high speed all i mean is 120 Kmph. Not more.

This could be because my driving skills arent very good. But i have driven the lancer at 140 plus and found no trouble. So that for me is a factor of comparison. The reason i mention this about the verna is because it comes with a powerful engine. Like they say with great power comes greater responsibilty. So they needed to provide a more responsive steering. The Linea may be underpowered but it doesnt bother a normal driver like me too much. May be i may feel the pinch on a rare day i feel like accelerating on a bombay pune stretch. I had a question to ask as well, how is the optra magnum when it comes to power to weight ratio? Is it under powered too? I drove it and found it really nice. Way too expensive though.
chittybang is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 12:09   #205
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Why are we bashing the Verna so much on not giving Airbags. There are countless number of cars being sold without airbags right now. I agree it is a mistake but pointing the Verna out only is not fair.
This is because, inspite of my very open acceptance of the fact that not having airbags is a deficiency in the Verna, and driving the point time an again that at the end of the day, every buyer chooses his package, Mr.Pujari was left with only the airbag fodder to chew.

Airbags, and my point on excise duties. Just see how many times only these have been discussed!

Well, I can understand this is what happens when you cannot find too many weaknesses in a well built car!

The fireworks can go on!
sdmn is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 12:27   #206
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
There is nothing in Vahan pujari posts that suggest they are not in the spirit of teambhp where unbiased opinion is what matters
You really think so?

Check out the thread - after I paid him a genuine compliment for his username, did you see his next post? He created a Korean sounding name with me initials 'sdmn'. Isn't that sufficient violation of the code of conduct?

I think the mods should take a serious look at what this man posts on TeamBHP.

I prefer to stick to cars. However, when you see something unfair, can't remain silent. Especially when that's getting defended.
sdmn is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 13:44   #207
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 920
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

sdmn - I am referring to the general humorous content of his posts which were funny, not any personal attacks which would be against the spirit of this forum.

I think for Verna owners there is so muck ruckus about Verna handling on this forum because its got such a superb engine, if it didn't have this engine no one would be talking so much about the handing at least not to the extent that pisses off some Verna owners.

Here is a car that is seriously fast which lots of folk here just can't resist, to top that its a diesel which again has a huge fan following here, What more can anyone want, only stability and handling on curves is a huge letdown, so that's the first things folks crib about, because they would love to have that engine only with a better suspension setup and handling, and now of course with the launch of the Linea and ANHC expectations of things like airbags are also at an all time high. Its not so much criticism but regret for what could have been.
raul is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 14:20   #208
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
sdmn - I am referring to the general humorous content of his posts which were funny, not any personal attacks which would be against the spirit of this forum.

I think for Verna owners there is so muck ruckus about Verna handling on this forum because its got such a superb engine, if it didn't have this engine no one would be talking so much about the handing at least not to the extent that pisses off some Verna owners.

Here is a car that is seriously fast which lots of folk here just can't resist, to top that its a diesel which again has a huge fan following here, What more can anyone want, only stability and handling on curves is a huge letdown, so that's the first things folks crib about, because they would love to have that engine only with a better suspension setup and handling, and now of course with the launch of the Linea and ANHC expectations of things like airbags are also at an all time high. Its not so much criticism but regret for what could have been.
Correct Raul. Couldn't agree with you more!
sdmn is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 14:34   #209
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 156 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Here we go again. I am waiting for the fireworks to start here.
You were so right. Fireworks are at full swing, hope you are enjoying it, I surly am. I wish Honda and Suzuki soon get some Diesels into this segments and then it'll be a nuclear war here.
kaushik_s is offline  
Old 31st March 2009, 15:53   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
I am a satisfied Fiesta D owner. It has not given me any any issues on various handling conditions. That said I am not a speed demon with a formula one track in mind. I like to enjoy the drive and the fiesta fullfills that criteria. Having said that I personally am not very happy with the looks of the fiesta anymore. When i say anymore what i mean is that with the arrival of the Linea and the ANHC the fiesta is starting to age. I personally am very impressed with the styling of the Linea. It looks expensive compared to the competitors. The verna never really apealed to me as far as the looks go but i must mention one thing about it that impresses me besides the engine. It has a nice variety of colors. The deep pearl blue is refreshing. SOmehow most other cars come with very typical color options.I am not a high speed person but i would like to add that the verna D at high speeds didnt give me much confidence. What i mean is I didnt feel in control of the car. Where as I felt no such issues with the Fiesta. When I say high speed all i mean is 120 Kmph. Not more.

This could be because my driving skills arent very good. But i have driven the lancer at 140 plus and found no trouble. So that for me is a factor of comparison. The reason i mention this about the verna is because it comes with a powerful engine. Like they say with great power comes greater responsibilty. So they needed to provide a more responsive steering. The Linea may be underpowered but it doesnt bother a normal driver like me too much. May be i may feel the pinch on a rare day i feel like accelerating on a bombay pune stretch. I had a question to ask as well, how is the optra magnum when it comes to power to weight ratio? Is it under powered too? I drove it and found it really nice. Way too expensive though.


Optra mangum , under powered ? oh man thats a beast and i belive that Petes has a tuning box for the Magnum too and that addition would make it the ultimate performer as for the handling of optra mangnum i am at a loss as i have only taken a short 10 km test drive and i refuse to form an impression of a car;s handling powress during that limited time period.

I was thinking that the verna CRdi;s steering needs more feedback and feel at higher speeds, currently i feel that the majority of the people feel that the steering is too light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
You were so right. Fireworks are at full swing, hope you are enjoying it, I surly am. I wish Honda and Suzuki soon get some Diesels into this segments and then it'll be a nuclear war here.

if only the Hondas and Suzukis could join in the race , as somebody noted earlier can anybody imagine a verna's engine in a ANHC or the SX4 with the 110 bhp peted verna engine , wow that would be really something .....but sadly i dont think any of these will materialise in th near future !
hellstar is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others .anshuman Sedans 1126 27th January 2016 07:45
Help Choose: City vs Fiesta Diesel vs Verna Diesel vs Swift Diesel aseem Hatchbacks 21 11th October 2009 17:44
If Airbags is not an issue, which diesel to go? Linea or Verna? loving_alaap Sedans 81 26th May 2009 22:10
Urgent! Ford Fiesta Diesel, Logan Diesel vs Hyndai Verna Diesel Zahir Sedans 3 26th May 2008 10:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks