Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 31st March 2009, 16:40   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post

if only the Hondas and Suzukis could join in the race , as somebody noted earlier can anybody imagine a verna's engine in a ANHC or the SX4 with the 110 bhp peted verna engine , wow that would be really something .....but sadly i dont think any of these will materialise in th near future !
What about the rumours of 1.9 Ltr multijet Diesel engine on SX4? Or is it just a rumour? Sorry for going OT here.
Old 31st March 2009, 17:11   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
What about the rumours of 1.9 Ltr multijet Diesel engine on SX4? Or is it just a rumour?
Yes, they are just rumors.
Old 31st March 2009, 18:03   #213
BHPian

Verna D-
Powerful engine responsive after turbo kickin @2000RPM
Mileage that quite acceptable for the power and driving experience delivered.
Service level and parts cost that is best among the cars discussed.
Looks that some would like most may not
Fabulous colour options that would let you overlook the looks.
Soft suspension that offers great ride at speed under 80 stock tires good enough for 130 on a straight road but feel inadequate and wallow at higher speeds with out an upgrade to fatter tires.
Light steering another negative at higher speeds
Interiors quirky, harder seats and inadequate thigh support.
Brakes that does not inspire confidence unless with ABS
Would end up at the top of the heap if it offered Airbags and fatter footwear with smoother gearshifts (if i10 can be butter smooth why can they do it in Verna as well)
iffy suspension be damned.

Fiesta D-
Power delivered is some thing that will be look down upon by the likes of Verna D but with turbo kickin at 1200 RPM wouldn't notice that power deficit until after 120 KMPH. beats even petrols when it comes to city driving.
Mileage best in class.
Looks that are what a 10 year old will draw if you ask him/her to draw a car,very conventional (what OHC and esteem were earlier), even with the face lift not that impressive but not some thing that would throw you off either.
Less space than competition at the back seat but not so much so it would feel uncomfortable for three at the back for 6 hours.
Interiors could use better plastics but overall satisfactory.
Colour palate that doesn't warrant a second look.
Beautiful balance between ride and handling. Well weighted steering, suspension that will allow you to carve those corners.
class matching safety features
Will scrape speed-breakers when loaded.
Service level and parts cost that is definitely not the best among the cars discussed but still workable given there is decent service centre nearby and the parts cost is subsidized by the fuel savings.
Proven reliable engine and platform made specifically for India
Possible upgrade next year to a 1.6 Diesel that would hit Verna where it hurts the most. and may be with a newer platform.

Linea D -
Engine - definitely inadequate at the bottom end as well as the top. may be pete would comeup with something till fiat comes up with a better one by itself.
Mileage - not enough data to scope. but initial data shows its not going to be a great advantage or otherwise for linea on this front. they would be well within the band.
Looks- very few areas to complain about on this front. there will be some things that each person would have like changed but as a package it would please most.
Tail section that is the best south of 15L.
Colours- good one in grey and biege and it can carry any colour well.
space - as long as there not many 6 footers at the back seat quite spacious. every Curve smoothly meshes in with the car on the inside as well as the outside.
class matching safety features
adequate ground clearance but may have issues on turning radius.
comes from the same manufacturer whose *** that killed the palio's resale.
the *** partner has changed but till now the feed back does not show its for the better.
But efforts seems to be on to fix it specifically for this car and parts cost is subsidized by manufacturer.

Well we don't have a clear winner here like City was on the petrol front till last year.
Linea looks like a segment above its price with the threat that it may end up two segments below but if willing to take a calculated risk that A.S.S picks up and ends up fixing fiat's resale then why not.
Old 31st March 2009, 18:22   #214
BHPian

Lot of guys have mentioned that the gear is notchy in the verna. I felt the same when I took delivery of the car. But a bout of clutch bleeding and verifying the gear cable alignment set that straight. My gear shifts are silky smooth now. In fact I felt that the fiesta's gear shifts were more noisy and no where near as smooth as what i'm experiencing in my verna now.
Mileage wise - I'm getting an even 15 to the litre in the city. I think thats more then acceptable. Lot of guys have been getting 17 and over. How much more does the fiesta D offer in terms of mileage?
Looks wise - I find the fiesta rather box shaped and uninspiring. The verna looks far more aerodynamic, compact and well shaped. Again, that is a subjective issue. Of the three cars, linea probably wins in terms of looks, with the verna coming in second, and the fiesta coming in at a distant (just my opinion) third.
Old 31st March 2009, 20:11   #215
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
There is nothing in Vahan pujari posts that suggest they are not in the spirit of teambhp where unbiased opinion is what matters, on the contrary he is very funny and it's a pity some of us are unable to appreciate his humour that brings out the needless defensiveness of folks who own the cars they discuss, and this thread has plenty of that. What's the point in having an unbiased discussion then?

Surely just because one owns a car doesn't mean one can't concede it's weaknesses. Folks making excuses for manufacturers who take us for a ride whenever possible is not in the spirit of team-bhp. You can hardly have an unbiased discussion about these cars if their owners are going to get defensive and talk up known weaknesses.
That's the problem, Raul. All other threads have shown healthy discussions with owners accepting pros & cons of cars, but not this thread. That's where things go funnier here seeing lots of funny excuses that too trying to forcefully justify that they are right.

On the other hand check following posts & compare them with my last post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Dont tell me I didnt warn you that you'll have lots of verna owners vying for your blood!
Quote:
This is turning out to be a fun way to spend a boring afternoon at work
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
And then you mention this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
The last part of yours is the best joke.
Quote:
Again - what are you talking about? Couldn't help replying separately. Steering has no feel? What is this 'feel' you are discussing about? I've been driving since I was 12 and can't help smiling at this!

By 'feel' you mean feedback to the driver? Or you want to feel the shocks at the wheel?
Quote:

Perhaps you and I should have a drag sometime.
If some of these posts are not personal & my last post is personal, then Aren't we saying that Ajit Agarkar is an All Rounder?
Old 31st March 2009, 20:54   #216
BANNED

Vahanpujari - Saw in another thread that you have booked a LineaD. Its a great package. To a query you have posted there, I have even provided some useful information in good spirits. I'm not going to make you feel worse.

Amen!
Old 31st March 2009, 21:18   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
That's the problem, Raul. All other threads have shown healthy discussions with owners accepting pros & cons of cars, but not this thread. That's where things go funnier here seeing lots of funny excuses that too trying to forcefully justify that they are right.

On the other hand check following posts & compare them with my last post.

If some of these posts are not personal & my last post is personal, then Aren't we saying that Ajit Agarkar is an All Rounder?
What was wrong with me saying that this thread was a fun way to spend an afternoon at work?
My drag comment was merely a reply to someone who claimed that his petrol car would outrun mine - it was a statement made for fun, unless if people need to have a at the end of the statement to make this clearer. Everyone who has a fast car will want to think of themselves as the speed king of the road. When someone tells me he can outrun my verna, I will invite him for a drag. This need not mean that I"m trying to prove a point to him. I'm just saying that let us have a race, and we will let the cars decide for themselves who is faster!!
And did you not see the at the end of the verna owners comment?
None of my above posts insulted anyone personally in any way. In fact I do believe they were far less personal then certain other posts on this thread.
Also it must be added, that there are about 10 other threads based on the fiesta vs verna vs blah blah cars and they all have had the same "healthy discussion" over and over again. So perhaps its nice that this thread is bringing out a little bit of passion amongst the verna, fiesta and linea owners. A healthy discussion need not be a bunch of people getting together to listen to criticism. A healthy discussion involves a bit of fun, and a lot of people talking passionately about their views. These views need not always have to be agreed upon.
Vahan - everyone here respects your views. In fact even as a verna owner I found that post that you put up absolutely hilarious, because I bought the verna in spite of its known flaws. For me the pros outweighed the cons. Some one else might have gone for the fiesta or the linea because those cars provided them with better pros. Its all a matter of choice.
But after putting up a post like that, dont expect everyone to accept it with their arms wide open the way I did, because lets face it - you apparently had an issue with me finding entertainment through tbhp when I was at work! There is a fine line between pointing out cons, and demeaning someones choice for a car. The thing is this - we need not have to accept these pros and cons al the time, because before buying the car we would have weighed them out a million times already. Tbhp is the one place that gives car owners space to be really passionate about their cars. If that means they will stand up and defend its cons then so be it.
I suggest we all stop pointing fingers at each other and behave mature.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 31st March 2009 at 21:22.
Old 1st April 2009, 02:49   #218
Senior - BHPian

Wow,
This thread is heating up like any thread that has a Fiat in it (Though this time, it is not because of the Linea).
We have spent the last few pages discussing how the Verna is crappy because it has a beautiful engine, but a poor suspension, steering package and doesnt come with Airbags (which btw, all its competitors such as the Fiesta, SX4, Optra Magnum, ANHC, Linea provide on some variant or another).
To this, Hyundai Owners retaliate by saying the fiesta is cramped, and has no performance.

I personally think mods should close this thread soon, as sdmn said, it all depends on the package. All 3 cars cater to different markets within the same segment and there is no best car! People such as sdmn chose the Verna because of the power and felt they could handle it, We chose the fiesta because FE and handling and ease of driving was more important to me, Others chose the Linea because they don't care about 0-100s but more about space, features, and the beautiful suspension thats there in all fiat cars.

The only person who has provided an unbiased view in the last few post is MarlinSpike, whose post went unnoticed with all the fireworks.

@VahanPujari and sdmn and others - I'm sorry, I didn't notice anything offensive in Vahaanpujari's posts and actually had fun reading them. I am sure he didn't mean to offend anyone as well (right?). Congrats on the Linea!
Old 1st April 2009, 11:26   #219
Senior - BHPian

Well i am out of here , the thread has lost its objective .......have a good discussion guys ...
Old 1st April 2009, 12:59   #220
Senior - BHPian

I concur with Lamborghini's observation above in post # 218.
I too feel marlinspike and sdmn have provided the correct inputs.
VahanPujari's posts were simply hilarious. BTW, congrats to him for his Linea booking!
Old 1st April 2009, 18:50   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Vahanpujari - Saw in another thread that you have booked a LineaD. Its a great package. To a query you have posted there, I have even provided some useful information in good spirits. I'm not going to make you feel worse.

Amen!
I've booked Linea Petrol & not LineaD.
In that thread, you would have also seen that I've actually praised Verna & mentioned that I felt Verna's engine as the most powerful as compared to SX4, DZire, Linea & ANHC which I TD'ed. There are no negative points on Verna mentioned there apart from looks that doesn't excite me.
In that thread or some other thread I've also mentioned that people can criticize Linea or Ford Ikon (which I owned) with a number of negative points. It doesn't make any differnece to me as I firmly believe each Individual has a preference which is different than another individual & I respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Wow,
@VahanPujari and sdmn and others - I'm sorry, I didn't notice anything offensive in Vahaanpujari's posts and actually had fun reading them. I am sure he didn't mean to offend anyone as well (right?). Congrats on the Linea!
Absolutely, as mentioned I firmly believe each car has pros & cons and each individual has different preferences according to which he chooses a particular car.

Now, I feel its right time to express my views on the topic.

In Mumbai traffic, there are very very rare cars which overtakes me in my Ford Ikon. This will not prompt me to say that Ford Ikon engine is better than others. In my view, for staying ahead in this scenario, you need - decently powered engine, manuevering, handling, driving skills & presence of mind.

In my views, Verna has one of the most powerful engine. With a powerful engine, without Airbags, with Lighter Steering, with a quesionable handling & manuevering capabilities, in my view its a very dangerous proposition. Hence I would not advise anyone to go for Verna. However, these are my individual views, others would feel it otherwise, nothing wrong in it. That's why each car sells...right?
Old 1st April 2009, 21:31   #222
BHPian

i have head of all the complaints and silly things people tell me about their cars! and criticize mine!! i remain silent and simply smile while i smoke them like crazy

end of story am happy with my vehicle and thats what matters

to each his own..

Last edited by sameel : 1st April 2009 at 21:35.
Old 14th April 2009, 01:37   #223
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
i have head of all the complaints and silly things people tell me about their cars! and criticize mine!! i remain silent and simply smile while i smoke them like crazy

end of story am happy with my vehicle and thats what matters

to each his own..
seems your post cast a virtual death kneel on this thread . nobody is coming near this thread now.
Old 2nd September 2009, 18:22   #224
BHPian

Default Fiesta OR Linea OR Verna (Diesel Models)

Hi All,

First .. Greetings to all...
This is my first post on Team BHP. I own a Indica DLG 2005 model and have clocked around 68K. I am looking for a Sedan and boiled down to Fiesta, Linear and Verna.
I am in a dilema as to which one should I go for.

Seek the experts and owners all the help in making my decision.

My requirements
1. Good Features
2. Space
3. Good Mileage both city(based in blore) and highway since I use my car for frequent long drives.
4. Better pick up since my Indica cries a lot when overtaking
5. Cheaper maintanence
6. Good resale ( I will be holding this car for alteast 5 yrs)
7. Good ***
8. Good discount from the dealer

Thanks in advance to all

Regds
Vasanth

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd September 2009 at 18:36. Reason: Please use Search and post in one of the existing threads. thanks
Closed Thread