Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 16:56   #151

At that price range i.e 5 to 7lac,
It defintely looks better than the Swift dzire. However I would not call Manza design to be contemporary . May be a subjective topic , but i dont quite like the smiley face that Tata is trying to put all over its portfolio .
Be it be Indica Vista , Manza , Aria - I dont quite like the smiley grill .

But now when i am seeing the Prima , well it looks best among the other cars that tata has . Brilliant .

In an interview to Autocar, Ratan Tata had said that plans for Prima have been shelved, because they feel that its design will be too dated (by the time it reaches the production stage).
I am no Ratan tata , but i think the current design that the Prima concept has now , if being put into production then it would still be competitive when compared to the cars of the C segment .

There are many things that time only decides . Prima , I think its one of them .

Old 11th November 2010, 17:15   #152

If the design is going to be like the one in the pictures, I would be a prospective buyer. Looks impressive!
Old 11th November 2010, 17:41   #153
Default Prima is contemporary, yet would wait for the Tata 20 L Sedan!

Not to hijack this thread, I think there are two aspects to the looks of a car being apt or not.
1) A car which has contemporary elements in design but has been in the market for a while (Swifts, Vernas, to some extent Safari) carry a age-look-image because we get to see them day in day out every glance on the road and tend to get bored with the design. Then we call for a design change. I think for a good car (like Swift) this period would be 5-7 years.
2) A car seriously having all the aged-elements in design. Read the likes of M800s, Altos, Old Wagon-Rs, Old Zens etc., The aged-elements I mean the boxy designs etc when the trend is more curvy and soft designs. Then a car is truly outdated.

IMHO Prima has contemporary looks. It's design is apt for now and for another 4-5 years at least. Just based on design, I wouldn't mind buying it if it is available in the market. But considering the design to production time and the post launch life cycle of the design, Mr.Tata has made this statement.

But, I would still wait for a Tata >20L sedan which takes design cues from Jaguar and an SUV which takes design cues from Land Rover.
Old 11th November 2010, 18:16   #154
Senior - BHPian

This must be the 20 lac car that was in the news a few months back with Tata-Jaguar cooperation. Had a few nights of dreaming about a Tata sedan on the planned Jaguar X-type platform. Seems that it's going to be a reality.
Also happy to see that Tata is developing on it's own platform for future sedans,away from the days of platform maximisation,that were in the first place developed for a hatch.
Some new -age sedans from Tata to come.
Old 11th November 2010, 23:46   #155
Senior - BHPian

Tata once toyed around with a Rear Wheel driven E-class (Merc) type vehicle called Tata Magna. It was supposed to have been at Safari pricepoint. The test mules were also spotted. But somewhere down the line the idea was shelved. India was a little different then and the thinktank at Tata motors (then Telco) thought there is no place for such a Tata car in India. Now we have the benefit of hindsight and can really feel what it could have been. An E-class type vehicle at around Civic price!!
Old 12th November 2010, 01:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

@rejoycjohn: I think Prima is good looking enough to be introduced in the Indian market. Even I was surprised at Mr. Tata's statement. The only positive thing I could think of, that it shows his high standards and that the future Tatas will be even better.

@directinjection: The Prima was built on the Manza platform, hence the similarities.
Old 12th November 2010, 03:03   #157

The Pr1ma does look plane jane and would definitely be dated in the premium sedan segment if it has to compete in the Rs. 15-20 lakhs segment. However it would be a great choice for the next iteration of manza or even one segment above manza in the Rs. 8-10 lakhs segment.

Seems to me that TML is attacking segment by segment.

First they focused more on hatches which gave VISTA, NANO and MANZA as an offshoot of VISTA.

Second they are focusing on SUV/MUV/Crossover segment which gave ARIA and will give new versions of SAFARI, GRANDE and SUMO along with VENTURE.

Third probably is the sedan segment where TML could focus on sedans on either side of MANZA.

I hope they move faster so that they don't let the established players settle down. My biggest problem though is to find a space for FIAT in the portfolio. Doesn't look too good for FIAT at the moment.
Old 12th November 2010, 07:25   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

beautiful indeed

the only trouble with these ideas is the many slips between cup and lip - read: concept to execution!

largely on account of cost saving and penny pinching and value engineering and blah blah, most of the nice things one sees in the concepts get watered down so much that the final mass production product becomes almost unrecognizable from the original concept.

sad, but true - and particularly in the case of our indigenous manufacturers.

[quote=dhrishikesh;2136443]This premium sedan might be a Tata Prima which they have showed us at Geneva Motor Show 2009, along with Tata Nano Europa & Tata Indica Vista EV.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:49   #159

While the Prima certaily can steal the Civic's thunder with its looks and VFM features

Its not of any use to comment on this project since its shelved. so guys, its better to have this thread closed.
Closed Thread