Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th March 2009, 17:33   #1
BHPian

Default Anyone used Vericar for second hand car verification ?

Hi folks, some of you may know I am currently in the process of locating a decent 2002/2003 1.5 EXI OHC. So far after 2 weeks I have located 4 in mumbai and likewise in Pune. Of the 4 I have seen so far 3 have been less than impressive shape and while one is decent the price being asked is on the higher side.

So today I got a call from someone from a company called Vericar, they has got my cell number from a website (gaadi.com) and had smsd me earlier. They offer second hand car verification services including valuation with their experts traveling to the location of the car and delivering a report on 200 points in an hour. But the service is pricey at Rs 1299 per report.

I told him since searching for second hand cars usually takes time and one can go through 15 cars to get one you like how can one justify spending Rs 1299 x15 to verify all the cars.

So he offered me a second service which costs Rs 2999 and in this they guarantee to locate 3 cars according to your requirements and specifications including cost, colour, year of manufacture etc. This looks quite attractive and timely to me as a service and can save me a lot of time and effort.

The question is has anyone here used this service before and what do you guys think of this. Is it just better to go to a honda workshop, how much does that cost? The website is vericar.in. I am tempted but my skeptical friend insists it is a waste of funds and I am being lazy.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 17:48   #2
gaurav.28ch

What kind of valuation will be provided exactly? Is it really feasible for the experts to deliever 200 points report when you know how difficult it is for the potential customer himself to extract information from a car owner selling his car. What exactly is the guarantee that the car owner will be helping the experts in preparing their report. What will be the exact technical inspection done by these guys and how competent are they? This looks really fishy. Cannot trust these guys at all until they come clean with their inspection mechanism.
Old 9th March 2009, 18:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Do they help out in selling your car too?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 18:31   #4
BHPian

Well, It sounds quite interesting and helpful.
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 18:32   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If this service can deliver, it will be a success. Technically challenged buyers fear potential problems enough to avoid buying used altogether. Butttttttttttttttttttttt:

1. How much of an expert is vericar?

2. How many checkpoints covered?

3. What exactly do they check?

4. Maybe its just me, but I'd rather take a used car down to my local mechanic / authorised service station for a thorough evaluation. What is vericars USP?

I hope that they perform as promised, has the potential of becoming a truly valuable service. Eagerly waiting for a BHPians review of vericar. Neat About Us note too.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 18:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If this service can deliver, it will be a success. Technically challenged buyers fear potential problems enough to avoid buying used altogether. Butttttttttttttttttttttt:

4. Maybe its just me, but I'd rather take a used car down to my local mechanic / authorised service station for a thorough evaluation. What is vericars USP?

I hope that they perform as promised, has the potential of becoming a truly valuable service. Eagerly waiting for a BHPians review of vericar. Neat About Us note too.
1. Apparently they have 'experts' who provide these comprehensive reports and valuations, how good they are is open to debate since no one here seems to have used their services, however if they deliver as promised it could be useful but Rs 1299 is pricey.

2. Around 172 - veriCAR - Used Car Experts. On Your Side | FAQs

3. No idea, I guess the usual stuff, but 172 points is a lot of things to check.

4. This is the exact same question I asked him, according to him their USP is aprt from a comprehensive check they also value the car and give you the ideal price one should pay.

I hope they succeed too, however prices should be around 600 for a check. My friend is absolutely convinced its useless but from my perspective, I don't have time and if for 3k they can find me 3 good condition OHCs according to my requirements I am more than happy to pay them. It's a win-win for me.

Last edited by raul : 9th March 2009 at 18:52.
Old 9th March 2009, 20:13   #7
BHPian

raul:

A review on vericar would be great! Rs 600 is money well spent if it can give a credible report on the car for the technically challenged.

Look forward to hearing your review
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 20:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Anyone interested in joining Vericar through their "career" section?
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 20:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Hi folks, some of you may know I am currently in the process of locating a decent 2002/2003 1.5 EXI OHC. So far after 2 weeks I have located 4 in mumbai and likewise in Pune. Of the 4 I have seen so far 3 have been less than impressive shape and while one is decent the price being asked is on the higher side.

So today I got a call from someone from a company called Vericar, they has got my cell number from a website (gaadi.com) and had smsd me earlier. They offer second hand car verification services including valuation with their experts traveling to the location of the car and delivering a report on 200 points in an hour. But the service is pricey at Rs 1299 per report.

I told him since searching for second hand cars usually takes time and one can go through 15 cars to get one you like how can one justify spending Rs 1299 x15 to verify all the cars.

So he offered me a second service which costs Rs 2999 and in this they guarantee to locate 3 cars according to your requirements and specifications including cost, colour, year of manufacture etc. This looks quite attractive and timely to me as a service and can save me a lot of time and effort.

The question is has anyone here used this service before and what do you guys think of this. Is it just better to go to a honda workshop, how much does that cost? The website is vericar.in. I am tempted but my skeptical friend insists it is a waste of funds and I am being lazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Hi,

One of the guys who has started Vericar (Jayesh Jagasia) was my junior in IIM K. Hes been passionate about cars all his life n decided to give up a plush corp job to pursue his dream. His partner is a successful "cars n bikes" host on cnbc tv18.

I wouldnt comment on the pricing of these reports but rest assured they ll do a thorough job of it. They have apparently hired well trained mechanics to do a thorough check of any vehicle you might wanna get verified. This service definitely has a huge potential. You might certainly trust these guys over any random guy you come across in a Honda/ Hyundai or any showroom. Wish you luck.

- Mithun
stopOKgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 21:16   #10
BHPian

Its got a passionate start-up kind of feel to it. The About Us / Careers section reek of that. Interesting. But pricing is professional level. Pricey.
There is hardly any information on the type of veriXPERTS employed by them (what is their profile/industry experience).
Anthym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 23:25   #11
BHPian

Hey Mithun, that's good to hear. Always a pleasure to work with folks who are passionate about what they do. It ensures a great level of service and raises expectations too. They definitely have nice niche to grow this business on provided they deliver.
Old 10th March 2009, 07:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Vericar seems like a great business idea.
When I was scouting for a used car in the States, companies like Carfax were of a great help to me.
If someone has used Vericar, please post a review because I think that if India got a company like that, it would be of a great help to used car buyers, specially now given how the economy is acting and many people are looking at getting a used car.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 10:24   #13
Team-BHP Support

If the two are passionate about cars, they ought to be here. How about an invite to the fellows ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 10:43   #14
gaurav.28ch

If they really deliever what they promise to, it will be great. Lets see and wait for the first hand reviews by people using their services.
Old 10th March 2009, 15:19   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
one can go through 15 cars to get one you like how can one justify spending Rs 1299 x15 to verify all the cars.
Better to check the 15 cars out yourself, shortlist 3 and then have vericar run a check on those 3 only (of course, subject to their checks being high quality).

Quote:
it could be useful but Rs 1299 is pricey.
If it is useful, then the service isn't pricey. A lemon car will cost you several times that $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopOKgo View Post
One of the guys who has started Vericar (Jayesh Jagasia) was my junior in IIM K. Hes been passionate about cars all his life n decided to give up a plush corp job to pursue his dream. His partner is a successful "cars n bikes" host on cnbc tv18.
Always great to hear car guys pursuing their dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
When I was scouting for a used car in the States, companies like Carfax were of a great help to me.
Carfax adds value, no doubt. But technically, carfax is only running a check on official records of the car (flood damage, accident etc.). No guarantee for accuracy. Checking the car out myself (or having an expert do it) is a far better option.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote