Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th September 2014, 19:28   #1921
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!

Quote:
my refund cheque reached me at 1720 hours a while ago, in full.
Good news!

I do wonder if a lot of this stuff might not be "personal initiative." Never mind the MD of Skoda India, do the bosses of the dealerships know what their staff are up to?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 12:10   #1922
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
I did not sign off the amount. I refused to get drawn into an a verbal argument or anything that could be recorded and held against me. Simply waled off after asking once about the refund and getting a smarmy answer about "investigation".

After that, these posts on t-bhp, escalations on FB & twitter to Skoda abroad, and my refund cheque reached me at 1720 hours a while ago, in full.
Why don't you name the dealer so that the community is aware about the shoddiness of the dealership?
srameshdelhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 12:27   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
Why don't you name the dealer so that the community is aware about the shoddiness of the dealership?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
if true the Skoda dealer in question needs to be named and shamed.
Irrespective of the booking amount being refunded, the dealer should be named here so that no one from this community at least goes to them for any business in the future.

Last edited by dass : 18th September 2014 at 12:30.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 13:52   #1924
BHPian

<<I think this is the most relevant place to post the following experience I had. >>
There have been ads for Skoda rapid recently coming in the newspaper. The deal was rapid ambition plus diesel with allow wheels for 8,25,000 ex showroom. This is about a 1,15,000 drop from their normal price. Now I did read all the problems with Skoda online, especially helpful was Team BHP. What I concluded was that the Skoda the company and rapid the car were a great. But the dealerships were ruining the experience. I further searched and saw that complaints from Gujarat, apart from one incident of Ahmedabad, were non existent. I asked around Baroda and everyone seemed to me okay and happy with the dealership.

So I went to the showroom in Vadodara to talk and finalize.
They offered me car+5yr warranty +5yr rsa+drive assure +individual RTO for sightly better rate after negotiating. This was done on the 13th of October. On the 16th I finalized the cappuccino beige and gave a cheque for 51,000 so that I can get the car before the 30th easily and get depreciation.
This is where things start to get weird. I was insisting since 14th to get a proforma invoice. I wasn't given it but just to expedite everything I gave the advance. As I gave the advance I requested for the VIN number as well. I was told it takes time to get the VIN number as Baroda doesn't have the car right now and they will have to get all details/allocation from Ahmedabad.
On the 19th, 3 days after the advance, they call and tell me that there might be a price increase. And they are figuring out how to make sure I don't have to pay extra. They kept telling me there is a chance they may have to increase price by 18k. I told them this is silly, I have a paper on which you have signed. Late that evening they told me no worries the price won't increase. I told them I need the proforma invoice urgently or you guys are just going to let me hang as there nothing on Skoda letter head.
I still didn't get the VIN number.
I went there personally on 19th to take the proforma invoice, which was for the correct amount and now demanded for a VIN number. I was assured I will be given one by Monday (22nd).
At around noon on 22nd they email me the following VIN number :
TMBBLLNA3DG020811
Which is a November 2013 model.
I felt cheated at first. Why on earth would the dealer never even mention that the car is not only 6 months old but actually 10 months old and of the previous year. I calmly asked them if they have a car of this year. On 23rd they called and said there was a mistake and the VIN number they have given has already been sold. They told me they were going to get me my VIN number soon.
Late in the evening they gave me a new vin number which was of July 2014.
TMBBLGNA3EG016394
But by now all of family were irritated. I was irritated too. I felt for a moment that they had finally given me what I wanted, the correct rate the correct month and year. I am getting what I want, I told myself . But at the back of my head I was concerned that if I was not insistent, I may be getting a November car.

It's sad that the rapid was a joy to ride and the deal was great, but the experience put me off. There was a risk buying a model which is to be phased out. There is a risk with European cars service and spare part costs. I understood and considered that. But if the dealer is not on your side, not honest and transparent, you will have a much tougher time with all the above concerns.

I finally canceled the car and now await the advance.

Looking for a new car again.

Last edited by Aga_sahab : 26th September 2014 at 14:20. Reason: removed the actual rate. I am not sure if I should be posting that.
Aga_sahab is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 14:10   #1925
BHPian

Some things just don't change! (Read Skoda Dealerships). My genral experience in visiting these dealerships (Skoda/VW) is that they behave as if they are doing a favour by selling a car to us. That is where all the problem starts!

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th September 2014 at 14:20.
srameshdelhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 14:29   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
Some things just don't change! (Read Skoda Dealerships). My genral experience in visiting these dealerships (Skoda/VW) is that they behave as if they are doing a favour by selling a car to us. That is where all the problem starts!

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Surprising. I had an excellent engagement with a Skoda dealer recently.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 14:31   #1927
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen a certain trend here in the sales experiences where the customer pays the advance and asks the SA for VIN. Till here the sales experience is good for the customer but once the VIN is demanded the experience goes sour.

Makes me wonder what is the problem with Skoda when a customer demands the VIN. At this place the deal breaks for many and just get the refund and book another car!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 14:38   #1928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Makes me wonder what is the problem with Skoda when a customer demands the VIN. At this place the deal breaks for many and just get the refund and book another car!

Anurag.
My guess is, and it is only a guess, that they have lots of unsold stock. This is true for both Rapid and Vento. With the newer variants, there old stock is only going to find it more difficult to move out. The ideal thing is to offer good deals on the older cars after telling the customer its correct date of mfg. But Skoda dealers, being what they are, try there best to dispose of the oldest of the stock without telling the customer. And that is why problems arise as soon as the customer asks for the VIN. With so many articles available on google about VIN number etc, my guess is that people now have become more careful regarding these things.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 15:56   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen a certain trend here in the sales experiences where the customer pays the advance and asks the SA for VIN. Till here the sales experience is good for the customer but once the VIN is demanded the experience goes sour.
If I had received such service from Maruti or Honda I would have been still okay. I make machines, and small mistakes like this can happen once in a while and I understand that. They corrected every thing and gave me what I wanted. That said, the reason this became a deal breaker is because its Skoda Rapid old model. With Honda and Maruti I have other places I can get my service and spare needs. With Skoda, only one dealership in 100km radius. Only they can get me Skoda parts and service. Other mechanics might not be able to help me here. To top that off, this will be a discontinued model, and after 4 years, I might be stuck with a car without any spare parts, and with no option.

The dealership has requested me to re-consider, and are going to come down tomorrow to my work place to talk.

Lets see.
Aga_sahab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 18:00   #1930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_sahab View Post
To top that off, this will be a discontinued model, and after 4 years, I might be stuck with a car without any spare parts, and with no option.

The dealership has requested me to re-consider, and are going to come down tomorrow to my work place to talk.
If there are so many hurdles in buying a Skoda / VW then why look at it and set your heart on it. I am not discouraging you and you know what has to be done better than me but just a word of caution. Since you say this is the only dealer in your city, if an issue arises the handling of the issue will be through this dealer so can be nail-biting.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 22:15   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_sahab
snip

Lets see.
After all the feedback from fellow TBHPians if you are still planning to buy a Skoda, hats off to your sense of adventure! Having said that, you must also be ready for all the pre, post-sales adventure, breakdown adventures and the adventure offered by the kind of callous response from the service centre that others in this forum have mentioned.
narenteam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 12:51   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
After all the feedback from fellow TBHPians if you are still planning to buy a Skoda, hats off to your sense of adventure! Having said that, you must also be ready for all the pre, post-sales adventure, breakdown adventures and the adventure offered by the kind of callous response from the service centre that others in this forum have mentioned.
My decision to give the Advance was because of the discount. The car by itself has never been the issue, its always been the dealerships. The local/Gujarat dealership had no bad reviews on either the forum or any other is on the internet post and all the people I asked around vadodara did not complain about the service.

They never came for the meeting. I should be getting the advance back soon.

Animesh
Aga_sahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 09:22   #1933
BHPian

Received this mail a few days ago

Dear Harish!

Congrats on your settlement with Skoda!

Looks like they have turned a new leaf! They have settled my case too! -- they have replaced my defective dashboard with a sparkling new one without any charge to me! I am delighted with Skoda for this great gesture ...

Thanks for all your help and encouragement-

Regards:
-Mohan K Cavale
Blr

@GTO

When are you free ? We have a meet pending.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th November 2014 at 10:14. Reason: Deleting sender's mobile number.
harishv is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 13:25   #1934
BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
This is the exact same experience I had while I was in the market for a Vento. The dealer in question was the 'West Delhi VAG'. The sales guy took the advance and then kept on delaying the VIN of the car. He did not share the VIN at all, and insisted that I buy a White colour Vento Trendline. Turned out that the car was older than what he had specified. I cancelled by booking. He and his showroom manager refused to part away with the advance that I had paid.

Finally, I had to send in written letters with 'legal warnings' to the Mumbai corporate office of Volkswagen. A copy was sent to the dealer as well. Within 48 hours of the legal note being received by the Mumbai office, the dealer called and said that the refund cheque is ready.

I still love the Vento and the Jetta. But, I did not have enough courage to throw the hard-earned money at the car with this shoddy experience at dealership; that too at the pre-sales stage.

Finally, I bought a Renault Duster RxL. At least, everything was clear and transparent and there was no hidden agenda of the sales team. And, I am happy with my purchase decision.

Note to the Mods: All my communication with the dealer and the Volkswagen team is also documented on email. I can share any proof that you need to validate this experience.
rdhawan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 15:19   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Congrats harishv. Good to know you are finally relieved of the pain. Amused to hear that you would not mind another Skoda after all this ordeal. That is the magic that can happen with some sincere and strong people at the helm. Something we rarely find in our country.

For the sake of all car lovers, wish Skoda Top Brass turns things around pretty soon.

Once again. Best Wishes.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote