Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st March 2009, 18:26   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It shows a potential, yes, but I cannot go with the charge that corruption is necessarily involved.

That is a very serious charge to make against an individual, and I am not happy to see it.

On the one hand, she is mocked for not listing Skoda among her own cars; on the other she is accused because her family do choose to invest in the dealership.

Yes, I can see the potential for a huge conflict of interests where it may, or should, be necessary for Skoda to control or discipline a dealer. Probably a whole discussion could take place on whether or not it is appropriate.
It is only implied because AutoBahn is a known bad apple. It can be hypothesized that the reason why the parent company is adamant about supporting the dealership is because nothing ever goes beyond the PR Head's scrutiny and thus upper management never hears of the ground reality.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 20:39   #422
BHPian

Harish, my blood boiled when I read this thread today.- I dunno how I missed this. I salute your courage and persistence.
From my side, whenever anyone discusses Skoda in my presence, I am going to refer this horror story and give them the link to this thread.
Not much more can I do - but small drops make up an ocean. This tsunami of rage must teach the arrogant corporates that the common man is not to be trampled upon.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 11:37   #423
BHPian

I am appalled by the indifference of Skoda and it is really great for Harish to have gotten this far in his fight, leaving the car in Skoda factory for almost a year. We all salute you Harish.

When I went to buy my car in 2005, Skoda was in my list and was turned off by TAFE sales guys in Bangalore who had the guts to say regular Octavia is the same as the RS Model which I was looking for except the engine being different and asked me to test drive that instead of RS. Some how I got a real bad vibe and walked out, bought Corolla.

I was impressed by the new Superb review in AutoCAR and was tempted to check it out, but after reading this, no way am going near Skoda.

Thanks to Harish for bringing it to the notice of the forum and we are all with you in your fight.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:16   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Exclamation Add two more to the list

I was speaking to my tyre guy about this skoda case yesterday. He said he knew a few more similar cases and promised to contact them and to read team-bhp threads on it.

Two examples that stood out:
A guy buys an octavia and immediately goes to the tyre guy to get new alloys and tyres. After fitting and driving for a few days, he notices that the brake pedal shudders while braking at any speed. He goes to skoda and they say that there is a problem with the non-company alloys. (Doesn't make sense??!!). So this guy pays more money and exchanges them for another set of alloys from the same tyre guy. But the problem persists and skoda maintains that this is an alloy related issue. He even goes back to the stock option but to no avail. Finally he goes to a private mechanic and finds that one side disc brake is old and used and the other is new. Skoda refuses to acknowledge it saying that the tyre guy has changed it. But this is not possible since the customer stood with the car all the time while the tyres and alloys were being fixed. He finally replaced the disc at his own cost at a private mechanic rather than taking on skoda. He skipped all his free services from skoda and now only goes to a trusted private garage.
Dealer in this case was Nummer Eins

My tyre guy is trying to contact him in case he wants to join harish in the suit.

Another case:
A brand new fabia kept pulling to the left. So the owner goes to the tyre guy for alignment which turns out to be fine. All tyres were rotated / exchanged / all permutation combinations done but no avail.
Then he goes to skoda and they solve the problem in his one week old car. However, after a month he notices a radical uneven tyre wear and goes back to the tyre guy for checking. On alignment it is found that the car was adjusted to pull to the right so as to negate the left pull. This is rectified by the tyre guy and referred to a private mechanic who notices that the lower tie rod (or some other supporting part) was defective and un-greased.
Owner takes it up with skoda who initially refuse to acknowledge the defect. The owner of the car happens to be the son in law of a very high police official and threatens then with major action. So finally they replace the faulty part free of cost. No bill or acknowledgement of work done given. Tyres however weren't replaced and he had to do it at his own cost later on.
Skoda showroom in this case was Autobahn.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:42   #425
BHPian

Default numbers are rising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I was speaking to my tyre guy about this skoda case yesterday. He said he knew a few more similar cases and promised to contact them and to read team-bhp threads on it.

He finally replaced the disc at his own cost at a private mechanic rather than taking on skoda. He skipped all his free services from skoda and now only goes to a trusted private garage.
Dealer in this case was Nummer Eins

My tyre guy is trying to contact him in case he wants to join harish in the suit.

Owner takes it up with skoda who initially refuse to acknowledge the defect. The owner of the car happens to be the son in law of a very high police official and threatens then with major action. So finally they replace the faulty part free of cost. No bill or acknowledgement of work done given. Tyres however weren't replaced and he had to do it at his own cost later on.
Skoda showroom in this case was Autobahn.
Tejas - That was good. Thanks

blacmagic, sandeep108, harry10, SirAlec, normally_crazy, SB1061, PiyushVroom, thermalpaste, canonball - you mentioned guys who had similar problems. can you request them to join in ?. Would appreciate that.

chakri400, samyakmodi, anainar, sridharps and Team - Thanks guys, Will try and do my best.
harishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:49   #426
BANNED

Harish, the friend I mentioned has engine mounting issues with his Laura. whenever he tries to draw the service center's attention to it, they say "the Laura is like this only saar".
I doubt though that he will have the time or proclivity to join a lawsuit. Ill however try to see if he can write a letter detailing his general experience with the Skoda service center. or if he hasnt the time, Ill try to write a letter and have him endorse it. let me know if something like this will help you.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 14:35   #427
BHPian

Harish, you really have the guts to take them head on, even after they offered you to replace everything with original parts without any costs. I would have been scared and would have accepted the deal. Hats off to you.

At the same time, I won't be surprised if there are more Skoda owners affected but silently absorbing the pain hoping that Skoda would continue to at least keep their cars running.

I had earlier heard of costly spares and poor service by Skoda India. This is beyond my imagination. They really deserve a fight from everyone.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 15:17   #428
BHPian

Default Standing ovation !

Harish, my heart reaches out to you. You have had the guts and the bravado to go against injustice. You have held your head high and dealt with calm and composure, this kind of impeccable character is a hard find in these times. You are gifted my man.

This battle is not yours alone, you have a brotherhood of 40K temp bhpians with you. How can an average team bhpian contribute to the cause ?
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 15:53   #429
BHPian

@harish

there have been some reports of malpractices from the skoda dealership in indore too. I have already suggested some "high up" responsible people in Skoda Auto to have surprise audits at their dealerships but nothing has been committed yet.

Anyways I am also trying to locate people who would testify against Skoda's A.S.S and can probably join you in the case. Will try my level best.

The only one who accepted to testify had just a minor complaint (compared to everyone else's here). He was totally dissatisfied with the dealership's painting facility. rather the lack of it. the particular dealership didn't have a paint booth earlier. they used to paint the cars out there in open or something.
--but then this is not a case building incidence as the dealer now has an acceptable paint booth.

will try none the less.
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 16:43   #430
BHPian

Thumbs up I'm in awe

Hi Harish,
I am so in awe of your patience and courage to take Skoda head on. I dont think I would have that kind of resolve to spend so much time and energy.

I really hope and pray that the case is resolved in your favor and those cheats at Skoda are brought to book.

All the best mate and god bless.

Hiren
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 18:42   #431
BHPian

hello harish, i may be asking redundant question here but i could not understand one thing. What eaxactly Skoda is fighting for? they terminated the skoda dealership as they realized the mistake is isnt? it means they are aware what exactly happened with you right? then what are fighting for? and if they are right then on what basis they terminated the dealership?
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 19:12   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
hello harish, i may be asking redundant question here but i could not understand one thing. What eaxactly Skoda is fighting for? they terminated the skoda dealership as they realized the mistake is isnt? it means they are aware what exactly happened with you right? then what are fighting for? and if they are right then on what basis they terminated the dealership?
Dealers are a proxy or a representative of a company. If a dealer screwed up and its a dealers fault and a customer such as Harish has been adversly affected, then you judge the company's attitude and service commitment to its customers by their actions. Either they knew that the Dealer did the wrong thing and they standby Harish and say sorry and try and make up for the mistake to the degree possible, or fight with Harish in a consumer court as in this case and tell India that i dont stand by my representative and i am not responsible for his actions, though i appointed him to be my representative. It goes against the principle of doing business. That has what upset all of us - how Skoda has treated their customer Harish.. T'row it could be you..
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 19:24   #433
BHPian

here is another online resource

enjoy

SKODA INDIA Complaints - I will never buy Skoda again!
jasher26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 19:29   #434
BHPian

from what i read online and discussions on team-bhp , the Laura = lemon

you have to pray that you will not face any problems once you buy the car
jasher26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 20:28   #435
Senior - BHPian

Good luck Harish, nice to see that your actions are gathering momentum. Godspeed!
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote