Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th April 2009, 15:16   #511
BHPian

Default remove skoda pic from team bhp header

Moderators, I request you to remove the skoda from our forum header. The car does not deserve in a place like team-bhp. Let's have a car which respects and treats indian consumers equally as other nationals.
idly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 15:24   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
we need someone who is a regular at wikipedia. wikipedia has its own set of funny rules. Does "notablity criteria" or "original research" ring any bells to you? then you should be answering. else keep out. Wikipedia wants to be known as a keeper of reported fact, and all information should be factually verifiable ( unfortunately this is where it falls apart) through the information being published on notable media sites ( forums/blogs etc not being counted). not matter how good team bhp is , a thread here has less weight , than say, some paid press release in an obscure journal.

so think twice before venturing to post on wikipedia. thanks
You're saying, i shouldn't have made a post on wiki? it will get deleted?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 15:33   #513
Senior - BHPian

nope, but your post there on wiki will not be of much significance. it would be the equivalent of a clueless newbie post here. Logic and argument does not hold much water there. sources and wikipedia policies do.

To get an idea of how to post there, go through a few typical wikipedia keep/delete debates.
here are some
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...g/2009_April_2

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th April 2009 at 15:34.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 16:02   #514
BHPian

Ironic that T-BHP has a skoda on it's masthead -- time it was changed to something else?
B
71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 16:05   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Greenhorn, i went through the link you provided. However, if you see, i have posted in the talk (discussion) section which is valid for users to give their opinion. I have not posted in the article page.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 16:12   #516
Senior - BHPian

I understand your intentions are good,but the section is in line for deletion or truncation, since it does not meet many wikipedia criteria. Its outcome will be decided by a debate which will be similar in nature to the ones in the link i provided recently.

Point is , you need to talk the wikipedia language there. Just like you may not be able to sucessfully argue your own way in court , and need a lawyer to speak the legal language and reference the required laws, the same things need to be done in a wikipedia debate as well.

I cant quite explain it to you. Wikipedia has its own quirks. you need to be a regular there

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th April 2009 at 16:20.
Old 8th April 2009, 16:55   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Wikipedia is really a whole world to itself, with its own society, rules, ways, fights, power struggles --- so much so that it even spawns sites that watch Wikipedia!

What's been put there looks OK to me, and, once again, I think Skoda's attempted suppression of it stinks --- but I am strictly hands-off so far as that site is concerned.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 20:22   #518
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I understand your intentions are good,but the section is in line for deletion or truncation, since it does not meet many wikipedia criteria. Its outcome will be decided by a debate which will be similar in nature to the ones in the link i provided recently.

Point is , you need to talk the wikipedia language there. Just like you may not be able to sucessfully argue your own way in court , and need a lawyer to speak the legal language and reference the required laws, the same things need to be done in a wikipedia debate as well.

I cant quite explain it to you. Wikipedia has its own quirks. you need to be a regular there
correct. Wikipedia is a *very* political world. however, Tejas, thanks for the reinforcement. if it doesn't do any good, it at least will not harm. I've left something of my own on that talk page too.
Talk:*koda Auto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
comments welcome.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 20:24   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
correct. Wikipedia is a *very* political world. however, Tejas, thanks for the reinforcement. if it doesn't do any good, it at least will not harm. I've left something of my own on that talk page too.
comments welcome.
There are lot of links to news paper articles mentioned here by harish which have written about the case. You can also use that.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 20:46   #520
BANNED

Hemanth, the truth of Harish's claim has been established. providing a bunch of links that all say the same thing is only going to reinforce the view that this is the only case we have to show. something that will play right into Skoda's hands who have been calling this an 'isolated' and 'exceptional' incident.

we need to expose Skoda's malpractices in other areas too. for that, I have included a link to the Indian Consumer Forums where a simple search for Skoda throws up almost 15 pages of complaints.

the reference to our now famous "instigate" thread has been temporarily commented out for need of more substantiating evidence. I hope to have it uncommented soon.
Old 8th April 2009, 20:58   #521
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wikipedia is really a whole world to itself, with its own society, rules, ways, fights, power struggles --- so much so that it even spawns sites that watch Wikipedia!

What's been put there looks OK to me, and, once again, I think Skoda's attempted suppression of it stinks --- but I am strictly hands-off so far as that site is concerned.
Thad, could really use yours and Sam's help with this.
Old 8th April 2009, 22:07   #522
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Job Blac - keep delivering your magic>

Quote:
team-bhp.com is a very reputable forum and officially a big board. it is probably the largest single repository of unified automotive information in India. it does not run advertisements to sustain itself. regarding the paragraph about Skoda threatening to "instigate" people in lawsuits, I have screenshots link1 link2 link3 of their membership requests on team-bhp.com which establish beyond a doubt that the member represents Skoda on that forum. threatening people who are sharing their experiences with legal action is a clear attempt to trample free speech and is not something I think should be allowed to slip.
Humm - I wonder why the Skoda PR exec would show that he/she owns a Mahindra & a Hyundai
http://blacworks.com/images/40906156.jpg
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 12:12   #523

Thanks a lot Harish for making us aware about Skoda Auto India. I was about to put my money on the new Superb, but I'd rather not, now that I know about their service quality.
Kashish Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 12:29   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
Thad, could really use yours and Sam's help with this.
I've been editing anonymously. Mostly language and stuff. I edited this too. BTW Was it you who wrote Skoda Checkoslovakia?
Cheers,
Sam
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 13:20   #525
Senior - BHPian

BWAHAHAHAH. Self pwnage. skodaindia tried to edit the page and ended up deleting the rest of it. Wikipedia's newbie unfriendliness wins the day .