Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th July 2009, 19:26   #76
BHPian

Hi,

Interesting thread and as an Indica owner, had to comment. The point is, most people in cities like mumbai do not use their cars much. I work about 10 Kms from home and that is why I use the car daily. But if I was working in say, Nariman point, I would rather take the train, not just because of the fuel cost, but also the time it takes! Now, if I was to do that, how much running would I see only on weekends, 100 Kms. maybe? That makes it about 500 Kms. a month. Now, if I was to sell this car after 4 years, would it fetch me a much higher value if it was pristinely maintained as against just 'normally' maintained (if it ain't broken, don't fix it). The answer is probably 'No'. It might give me 20 odd grand more, but that is it. So, why should one really spend hard earned money on a depreciating asset? Hobby and passion? Sure, but most people who buy Indica's have many other pressing needs with their limited resources. So, there you go.
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 19:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

See,
from what I have seen in my family and friends circle here is that an Indica/go are considered very rugged cars. This means that they can take abuse. Also, at the same time, many of the people only consider indicas/gos as non personal transport, such as an extra car in the house, car for the office staff, etc.
It is really quite simple. If we were to buy a car for the office staff to use, it would no doubt be an indica/go, however if we were buying one for ourselves, we would spend the same money on another car such as a Santro/Ikon etc.

@jimmy: It is actually the other way around. You see a badly maintained indica/go, you give it more space as you are scared of damaging your car. Other car owners generally drive more cautiously. I would drive the Skoda/Merc with more care than the Palio/Fiesta for example.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 18:10   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@jimmy: It is actually the other way around. You see a badly maintained indica/go, you give it more space as you are scared of damaging your car. Other car owners generally drive more cautiously. I would drive the Skoda/Merc with more care than the Palio/Fiesta for example.
Talk of the devil! One of those Tempos backed into my poor Indigo at a traffic light, a couple of hours back. The fender is dented and the head light is chipped - I guess if I leave it like that, nobody will come near me!
jimmy_iaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 19:48   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't know if this counts, but I abuse my Indigo the most of all my cars. Why? Because I know its cheap to repair, can handle rough use and is not precision-built in the first place. Face it, no Indica / Indigo has the fit, finish or quality that one will lust over.

It's pretty much a family Ambassador (as in HM Ambassador).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 19:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

GTO a small question, especially since you have an OHC - one of the more 'bulletproof' cars - which car do you think would tolerate a negligent owner better ? an OHC or an indigo?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 21:40   #81
BHPian

in between the sale of my swift and delivery of Sx4 in 2008 i had the opportunity to use a loaner Indica from a used car dealer. the car had done 2 lakh kilometers, was of 2003 model, had seen several men and women at its steering since its a rental car. it had its fair share of dents and paint chippings and was even prone to leaks. the first day i drove it i was not sure if i would reach my destination on time without breakdowns. when i asked my friend the used car dealer i was really shocked. he said " the car has never given up on any of the person driving it" if it has it was because the person driving it forgot to refuel. so much was the reliability of an Indica

second instance was last week when i was at the TASS a privately owned indigo was brought in emitting Jet black smoke with a lot of carbon particles flying out from the exhaust. upon enquiry i was told that the owner never changed the engine oil for 35K kilometers and there was only a paste like substance in the place where the oil should have been. ofcourse the engine after all this abuse had to be replaced with a TDI engine from a scrapped Indica!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 16:35   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Because I know its cheap to repair, can handle rough use and is not precision-built in the first place. Face it, no Indica / Indigo has the fit, finish or quality that one will lust over.

It's pretty much a family Ambassador (as in HM Ambassador).
I think fit and finish is not the sole sign of precision engineering. Indica/Indigo combos panel fit is inadequate. But I found its paint finish among the best in its segments. But then I am not really a professional in these things.

Last edited by Trapezio : 31st July 2009 at 16:37.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 17:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was told that the owner never changed the engine oil for 35K kilometers
That is the worst thing i have heard about a car in my life!!

I can relate to people talking that indica/go as most abused cars but never thought it would be abused to such an extent.

even lorry owners change oil ever 20k kms. i cant imagine how much more abuse the car is going to take as the car is still running without a oil chnage after 35k kms just emitting smoke and carbon particles. If the car has a mouth it would cry till its end of life.
Shame on the owner.....

Coming back on the topic i have my collegue who is a doctor ( an opthalmologist) who sells his indica and then gets a indigo and then sells it to get a indica and repeats it every 3 years . the car is 99% driven by a driver and he sleeps on the backseat.

on one instance when i enquired about this to him he said, the indigo rear seating comfort is exemplary. he said he has even travelled in OHC/NHCs but none matches the rear seat comfort of indigo or indica when it is chauffer driven. so he buys them repeatedly

I see the MNC s adopting indica / indigo to drive the techies now as a cab because of the rear seat comfort ( just my perspective). So since these are mostly chauffer driven we get into a wrong perspective that these cars are most mistreated

Last edited by geeash : 31st July 2009 at 17:20.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 18:32   #84
BHPian

My indica Xeta GLS (Maroon) has done just 13k till date and i bought this 2 years ago.
Sometimes i feel bad when friends ask me why i did not buy a swift or a santro and why a Indica?

I try my best to make them understand about how indica fits my needs as a entry level driver with a big family.

I know ppl prefer to buy a second hand wagon r/zen/santro rather than buying a new indica petrol.

In fact, i had the choice to choose between a swift,wagor r,santro and xeta...I chose Xeta for its cost effectiveness and space. I am very much happy with it...

I feel pride when i look at the car..it looks beautiful in my favorite color maroon.It has dents which i will repair it soon.

Only time, i go to the service centre is for regular service..Having said that i recently had to visit them for some tuk tuk sound coming out from rear suspension..TASC has instructed me to replace the rear right suspension for 5k.

I queried him about the reason for the rear suspension to fail so early.His reply is car has not been used regularly and there might be more problems if i don't use the car regularly.
True..there are times when i have not touched my car for 2-3 weeks...

I made sure that i use my car atleast once in a week from that day onwards..

I sometimes drive it very fast over potholes and bumps because i get a feelin that its sturdy and well built and it takes it just with a slight thud.Can't do that with wagon R. tried it sometimes....

Overall..i love my car.

Last edited by rock18 : 31st July 2009 at 18:40.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 20:17   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
That is the worst thing i have heard about a car in my life!!

I can relate to people talking that indica/go as most abused cars but never thought it would be abused to such an extent.

even lorry owners change oil ever 20k kms. i cant imagine how much more abuse the car is going to take as the car is still running without a oil chnage after 35k kms just emitting smoke and carbon particles. If the car has a mouth it would cry till its end of life.
Shame on the owner.....
Juss back from a TASS visit to see the beautiful receptionists and CRO gottu know that the when the engine was opened all the components were in a bad shape. so it was recomended to transplant an engine from a totalled indica which was done and the owner zoomed away vowing to come back again after 70K!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 10:42   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
GTO a small question, especially since you have an OHC - one of the more 'bulletproof' cars - which car do you think would tolerate a negligent owner better ? an OHC or an indigo?
Hi Greenhorn,

Without doubt, the OHC. The Indigo may be heavier & feel more robust, however the OHC is put together extremely well and is way more durable.

Example : In 26,000 kms, my 2.5 year old Indigo has had more part replacements than my Vtec which is in its 7th year and at 70,000 kms. Note, I am talking about repair / failure of parts, not scheduled maintenance. Thank god for Tata's 4 year warranty! Again, the Tata may feel more "robust" but the Vtec is substantially more "durable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
I think fit and finish is not the sole sign of precision engineering. Indica/Indigo combos panel fit is inadequate. But I found its paint finish among the best in its segments.
Paint quality is great, after all Mercedes has used the same paint booth for their cars. However, the value-engineering of Tata is way too evident in the lack of quality in parts, and the way that the car has been put together.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 10:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Thing is, what starts as value engineering - which is a noble thing to do really - ends up as cost cutting and squeezing the last drop of blood from the parts vendors, who then end up doing the same thing. What is then turned out is a product that is cheap, and looks it, and feels it.
About Indicas, I guess most of them are not owner driven but are in the taxi trade. And unfortunately the car also does not engender any great pride of ownership in the owners. It is that latter aspect that generates the kind of use the car has to put up with. As in anything else that people own and look after. Or not. Even in the case of most owner driven/used ones.

Last edited by Sawyer : 1st August 2009 at 11:00.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 11:19   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My cousin owns a 2004 Indigo, done 35K kms, well maintained, every service done on time, never been ripped and yet, he has had to spend so much more on repairs than i've done on my 2001 OHC which has clocked 69K kms of hard driving.

Recently, his Indogo had an engine failure where (according to the company), one of the valves came loose and damaged the internals. I dunno what all they replaced, but the bill came to 20k.

They also own a Wagon R, bought around the same time, which has been running flawlessly.

They have had so many bad experiences with the indigo that they prefer taking the Wagon R on long distance journeys.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 15:23   #89
BHPian

Do not want to argue any person's post here, but having had a Sierra, Safari, Sumo and now the Indica, I tend to disagree. You would call me biased, but each of these vehicles have done in excess of 1,40,000 kms with us. (The Indica is at 121000 kms now). I have never understood why people always complain about Tata.

I had a discussion with a friend who I came to know is into making performance cars. During our discussion, he looked at my Indica and asked me how I felt about it. I mentioned that I loved it, for which he said "It is only people who don't maintain their cars and first time diesel car buyers who crib about Tata". This was his quote and coming from a guy who works on BMWs, I felt he was right.

My love affair with the Indica, made me take it on a 1350 kms round trip from Coimbatore to Pondicherry, Chennai, Bangalore and back in four days. My father was worried that something might go wrong. All I had was a flat. I did the ECR at 120+ (was running late to meet a friend who was on his way to the airport), and the Turbo DLG didn't miss a beat. Other than a few scratches mainly on the side skirts, it is as good as ever.

Maintenance - I have had to replace the fuel tank (my driver's fault) and the power steering hoses (my fault) besides replacing the clutch at 107000 kms and the suspension bushes once. That's just about it.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:44   #90
Senior - BHPian

Team I think up till now we have not considered that

1. The damaged cars belong to people who are not driving enthusiast. (I am one of those people who will get the car in shape not that it will look bad but because it will change the dynamics (mechanical + aero))

2. Indica/Diesel cars are all high mileage beasts plying on those roads that test them time and again. Congested roads make life more tough for these cars. E.g. (no offense meant) Old Delhi, all the cars (>90%) are damaged. No one wants to get the body work done as they will have to keep on redoing the same work over n over.

No matter what the car is people who love them keep them in good shape.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote