Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th March 2009, 00:03   #31
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Hey, if you think wagon R and zen has light clutch. Then you should try out the vista. Its like butter. Its so light that I even doubted if the clutch will withstand the abuse.
Well, you might be right. But, as people tend to use/screwup their clutches they tend to get harder.

In my case, My wagonR, Alto1.1 have newly replaced clutches and city- the car is not too old itself. Alto's clutch is the hardest!, City is next and wagonR is the lightest.

I haven't driven a vista so can't compare. But i don't think one would want it to be much lighter than the wagonR. [don't know about new gen wagonRs, mine is like Old old]
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 11:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
i20 is VFM?
You please check the price, and find how much over-priced i20 is.
i20 is one of the best VFM cars out there. Where would you get a 6 lac hatch with Climate Control, Airbags, Music System, Alloys and a very modern design with top quality ?? Try Skoda Fabia - It's only real rival which is priced at least 75k more . Both 1.2 engines.

Do you know - Hyundai i20 is doing very high sales and Hyundai India also did not expect it to be such a big hit ( that too in the recession times ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I'm not sure if this is the lightest clutch out there. My Cedia's clutch is way lighter than any hyundai i've driven so far which IMHO don't have light clutches like Hondas and Mitsubishis.
I have not driven a Cedia so I cannot comment. But I still second the i20's clutch to be one of the lightest Honda also has a light clutch.

Quote:
I've checked it thoroughly. That's why I made such a comment. I'm not a blind opponent of Hyundai. But check the pricing of i10, i20, and Verna - I'll label Hyundai as a greedy manufacturer in India.

For i20, they have put a 1.2 L engine, and with all those tax soaps, they priced it way high!
They had to put a 1.2 engine for the FE. i10 is one of the best selling cars these days. Verna is absolute VFM my friend. Name another car which churns out 110 horses at a OTR price of around 8 Lacs for the base variant.

I think you have had some bad experience with Hyundai. Hyundai IMHO is not a greedy manufacturer at all. No doubt I am a big fan of Hyundai but it is only because they make very good quality cars at very good prices. Their After sales is Excellent. I have owned 6 Hyundai cars and currently still own 2.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 12:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
They had to put a 1.2 engine for the FE.
OK, let it be, but where is the price advantage for that puny engine? And where is the tax benefit?

Quote:
Verna is absolute VFM my friend. Name another car which churns out 110 horses at a OTR price of around 8 Lacs for the base variant.
SX4 is 102 BHP, and its OTR price is just above 7 lakhs. Petrol Verna is of 103 BHP, not 110 BHP. Another 1 BHP for a huge margin of 50K, with that pathetic un-inspiring interiors?

Quote:
I think you have had some bad experience with Hyundai.
I hate Hyundai because they are the king copying other manufacturers. They did it with old Sonata by copying Jaguar, and miserably failed in the court. So they changed its design. They did it again with Verna by copying, again, Jaguar S-type side profiles.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th March 2009 at 13:11.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 13:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

I am talking about the Verna CRDi. The petrol hardly sells and yes if matched with the SX4, then the SX4 is better VFM. Still the Diesel variant of the Verna is the best amongst it's class and even a notch higher. One of the best Performance Vehicles by Hyundai's stable.

i20 is a high end hatch. What do you want Hyundai to do ? Plonk in a 1.4 / 1.5 engine ? It does not sell !! There are only 3 hatches in India which are high end - Optra SRV, i20 & Fabia. SRV is non existent. The i20 sells the best as of now. Fabia is selling well also but a majority of their sales are from diesels. Fabia is expensive but quality is top notch.

Hyundai did start the Copy Cat thing in cars no doubt but it worked !! Now everyone is following and many Major Automobile companies are doing it.

Of course, you have your own view points and I have mine.

Let's get back to the main thread and talk about cars with light clutches !

I still say Honda AT for the best city driving car.

Last edited by vkochar : 24th March 2009 at 13:25.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:31   #35
BHPian

I used to drive an Ikon 1.6 petrol till April 2006 and used to attribute my left leg pain to its low seating and hard clutch. I was in daily pain since I had a 2 hour total commute to work and back. I investigated options of automatics but didnt proceed due to the low mileage attributed back then even by the Hyundai and Maruti sales guys. Things improved quite a bit by my getting rid of the Ikon and getting a Swift petrol. Have heard petrol clutches are lighter than diesels. Also the higher seating position and adjustable seats helped a great deal. I also have a Getz GLS from 2005 which I can from personal experience vouch has a light clutch.
As for automatics options here are my thoughts:
New vehicle chennai prices:
Reva AC - 4.12
Reva Classe - 4.65
i 10 Kappa Sportz AT GLS(Solid) - 4.63
i 10 Kappa Asta AT WS GLS(Solid)- 5.3
Verna 1.5 SX CRDi VGT AT 8.6
City 1.5 S AT - 8.9
Scorpio VLX-AT 9.98

Of course you can look at Used Santro ATs (3 - 3.5 L for around 2 years old) and City CVTs (around 5 L for 3 years old). Stay away from 3 speed ATs.

Last edited by sjcherian : 24th March 2009 at 13:34.
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 14:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i20 is a high end hatch. What do you want Hyundai to do ? Plonk in a 1.4 / 1.5 engine ? It does not sell !! There are only 3 hatches in India which are high end - Optra SRV, i20 & Fabia. SRV is non existent. The i20 sells the best as of now. Fabia is selling well also but a majority of their sales are from diesels. Fabia is expensive but quality is top notch.
Why Hyundai fans are not willing to compare i20 with Swift? Just because they know i20 cannot match with the style, personality and class that Swift has. Also they know i20 cannot compete with Swift in the sales chart. And they are trying to make others believe that the lower segment car i10 is competing with Swift!

Let those Hyundai valas live in the belief that they are driving a premium car. Who cares?

Coming back to the topic, in my opinion, the search for a car with lightest clutch ends with a car with no clutch! An automatic car is the answer here.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 14:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa
At times i drive my Dad's Omni , the clutch seems to be very hard when i shift gears .
Omni's clutch assembly needs replacement.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:04   #38
BHPian

Prices in Bangalore ..)
10 Kappa Asta AT WS GLS(Solid)- 6.21
City 1.5 S AT - 10.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
I used to drive an Ikon 1.6 petrol till April 2006 and used to attribute my left leg pain to its low seating and hard clutch.
-------
New vehicle chennai prices:
Reva AC - 4.12
Reva Classe - 4.65
i 10 Kappa Sportz AT GLS(Solid) - 4.63
i 10 Kappa Asta AT WS GLS(Solid)- 5.3
Verna 1.5 SX CRDi VGT AT 8.6
City 1.5 S AT - 8.9
Scorpio VLX-AT 9.98

Of course you can look at Used Santro ATs (3 - 3.5 L for around 2 years old) and City CVTs (around 5 L for 3 years old). Stay away from 3 speed ATs.
Thinking of waiting for Jazz Automatic until August .

But Not sure whether 1.5i-vtec jazz with semi-automatic will available for 8.5lca OTR Bangalore

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2009 at 15:25. Reason: back to back post
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:06   #39
BHPian

actually the lightness of the clutch pedal also depends on the spring in the clutch pedal , sometimes this spring is hard ,hence the clutch feel changes from car to car
ab1xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 16:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why Hyundai fans are not willing to compare i20 with Swift? Just because they know i20 cannot match with the style, personality and class that Swift has. Also they know i20 cannot compete with Swift in the sales chart. And they are trying to make others believe that the lower segment car i10 is competing with Swift!

Let those Hyundai valas live in the belief that they are driving a premium car. Who cares?
Sorry for going !!

I guess there is no point in going ahead and discussing this here !! Sorry once again MODS.

You say you are not a blind opponent of Hyundai but a majority of your post history say's something different.

This is a automobile forum and there are plenty of people here who swear by the cars / brands they own. Please try refraining against personal attacks. ( See your comment above in Bold Italics )

We respect your opinions & choice of cars, but at the same time try and respect others opinion as well.
Old 27th March 2009, 00:36   #41

Have you TDed the Skoda Fabia? It's a pleasure to drive and has a light clutch. Skoda's after sales service might be a concern though, but that's not the question at hand

The ANHC Manual Transmission has a pretty light clutch as well, when I TDed the vehicle, it was an amazing ride, I'd suggest that you TD it.

Otherwise the Swift petrol has a light clutch, but the car might be a bit too south of your budget and something you might not be looking for.

On a lighter note, stay away from Fiats
dcreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 13:14   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i20 is one of the best VFM cars out there. Where would you get a 6 lac hatch with Climate Control, Airbags, Music System, Alloys and a very modern design with top quality ??
Let me ask you this : Where else would you get a puny 1.2 liter 6.5 lakh OTR hatch? VFM is a subjective term. However, the i20 is far from VFM. Have doubts? Open up a new poll.

Quote:
Try Skoda Fabia - It's only real rival which is priced at least 75k more . Both 1.2 engines.
Some rival : Another flop. I'd use a successful car as a benchmark, not a disaster.

Quote:
Do you know - Hyundai i20 is doing very high sales and Hyundai India also did not expect it to be such a big hit ( that too in the recession times ).
High sales? What the heck does "high sales" mean? Please back your claims with actual sales figures, else it has no meaning. To some people 10 cars a month may be high sales, to others, 2000 cars a month may be low. Also, lets not forget that any new launch will have some initial momentum. I am willing to bet that, unless Hyundai launch a better engine and correct prices, the i20 will be a sales DUD.

Quote:
No doubt I am a big fan of Hyundai but it is only because they make very good quality cars at very good prices.
Agreed for the Santro, i10, repositioned Accent and the Sonata. The i20's price is good only from Hyundais point of view.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 21:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Very well said, GTO! Since when has Hyundai brand name become such force to price its products as high as they have been doing? I think, as has already been told on this forum, Hyundai is becoming greedy. It is losing the price edge it once had with Santro. Also, I feel it has failed to replicate the success it had with Santro and Accent in i10 and Verna. The latter two are not selling as many units per month as the former two were. Let's not even talk about other Hyundai products that came and went without a trace like Terracan, Tucson, Elantra and Sonata. The i20 seems destined to go the Fabia way. i20 just cannot match Swift on any front, taking into account the price of i20. You have to be a diehard fan of Hyundai to buy one at that price. I am not. The name Hyundai doesn't invoke any passion or prestige like Honda,Toyota or Mitsubishi does to me. I am sorry if I have sounded harsh but it is my personal opinion. Hyundai sure does make good quality cars but it is not yet in the league of biggies to price its cars this high.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 12:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Let me ask you this : Where else would you get a puny 1.2 liter 6.5 lakh OTR hatch? VFM is a subjective term. However, the i20 is far from VFM. Have doubts? Open up a new poll.

High sales? What the heck does "high sales" mean? Please back your claims with actual sales figures, else it has no meaning. To some people 10 cars a month may be high sales, to others, 2000 cars a month may be low. Also, lets not forget that any new launch will have some initial momentum. I am willing to bet that, unless Hyundai launch a better engine and correct prices, the i20 will be a sales DUD.
GTO - You are right when you say VFM is a subjective term. IMHO I find the i20 to be good VFM !! Anyways - every person has his / her opinion about VFM and I respect yours

Now you see, I live in a small town like Agra where the city ends within a 20 km radius. There are 2 Hyundai dealers here and a third one coming soon. The owners of these dealers are friends of mine so I get a lot of information from these people.

They say the i10 was a runaway hit right from day 1 which we all know. When the i20 was being launched they were a bit hesitant in selling this as they thought this would flop. Till date they have sold a much higher figure than they expected.

I also saw a few weeks back an Interview with HS Lheem on a car show on a business channel - he also said the sales of i20 has shocked them and they were expecting to sell 1/3rd of the volumes they have actually sold. They sold I think 2500 cars in Feb !! Here is news I took off the net, pls correct me if I am wrong -

Hyundai Happy With i20 Sales | Burn Your Fuel

Now you may be right when you say that this could be Initial Momentum. Only time will tell.

I truly wish Hyundai could have launched a 1.4 or a 1.5 crdi in this. Now that would have been yummy !!
Old 29th March 2009, 13:38   #45
BHPian

Is there any car in our country with power assisted clutch?

I dont think so, Hydraulic actuation systems are less stress on the leg but are by no means lighten the pressure on the leg. If we are to approach this technical;y a Multi-plate Hydraulic actuation system is the lightest(the old OMNI has a single plate, wire actuated clutch system). More over the more the torque the engine produces the more heavier springs will be used. So if you are not interested in Auto boxes which will solve the problem, you could look at the car with least torque and having a Hydraulic clutch.

I guess the NHC/GXi should satisfy.

But on the flip side,
> You should seriously consider Autoboxes if it is a serious issue.
> Any one tried the Autoclutch option? It was famous initially, i have not heard of them in recent times.
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote