Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th May 2005, 23:29   #16

Originally Posted by vipulG
Getz after losing its shine pretty quickly within just 6 months of its introduction, still reach about 20K (9.9k last year), Maruti Swift will give her a run for the money.

However Maruti Swift will be a disappointment. The hype created so far will fade (but not as quickly as that of Getz) , when people see it is underpowered, missing several features from its European counterpart and comes with a rather steep pricing . Still it will clock somewhat impressive figure (typical for any new car introduced) of 20K.
i cudn't understand ur prediction over here.....how can swift be a disappointment ..but still give getz a run for its money....contradictory..

leaving that.....me thinks ur spot on wid ur prediction
rookie001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 01:04   #17

very good assimilation of figures and facts and decent predictions. as GTO pointed out, indeed, food for thought.

however, i found the casual dismissal of palios, petras and lancer too convenient and, if i may say so, populist (at least on this forum).

also as others have pointed out, no allowance for new launches have been made.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 06:51   #18

Hey vipulG, nice writeup. I second you on most but for the Swift. I really doubt it will be ignored much. Here you have a maruti (after lightyears) that offers you as much if not more than its rivals. And why do you call it underpowered?

Also, this car is going to decide Maruti's future for the coming years. The expectations are really high this time from Maruti.

And Palio and Petra will definately shine by showing up more numbers.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 07:52   #19
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I disagree about your assesment about Getz and Swift.

The Getz will have weak sales unless Hyundai offer price cut (which would piss off many existing Getz owners big time).

The Swift will win the car of the year awards left and right. Good sales too.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 09:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

agree with u apart from two points
one abt the fiat cars and secondly abt the swift.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 12:31   #21
Default Swift

Swift might not be a disappointment. It has many reasons to do better thant he Getz. But the one minus point i see is the space inside, particularly the headroom at the rear seat.
I read the piece of news in econimc times, at 4.75 lakhs for the top variant packed with featuers i think it is going to give a tough run for Getz, may be even for the Ikon 1.3.
Palio 1.2 will be out, if not already.

I am really looking forward to the Fabia launch. But Skoda is too frustrating. They are not launching it any soon and not even upgrading octavia with the new version. They are delaying these launches too long which is not going to help them. Powerful diesel variants of Fabia could change the fortunes in that segment, but if only they did launch! sighhhhh!

They cant sell too many superbs here in india. After the Octavia success story, they seem to be too lazy to anything more.

Last edited by readonly : 13th May 2005 at 12:35.
readonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 12:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

In addition to the sales, it will be amazing to see what the Swift does to Marutis image. The Swift looks like an incredibly funky and young machine. Not too many yuppies have bought Marutis of late, I expect a significant portion to head to Maruti showrooms in June.

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote