Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP stand up for its right to the freedom of speech? For the TRUTH?
YES 3037 99.35%
NO 20 0.65%
Voters: 3057. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2014, 17:48   #2506
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Come on! Agreed there are unhappy Skoda customers and Skoda bashing is in fashion these days, but saying that Indians buy a Skoda just for the sake of buying a 'European car' is offensive to Skoda owners to say the least.
I am glad that a happy owner of a Skoda has chosen to reply to my post.
And yes, I would agree that there are a lot of happy Skoda owners out there.

But I find it really hard to fathom that Skodas and for that matter any European car can top reliability surveys. However, the credibility of such surveys is, in my opinion, should be taken with a bucketful of salt. Even in India, we have lots of surveys which award various recognitions to cars which turn out to be market duds - I would not like to name anyone survey in particular.

DSG failures are not a new thing when it comes to VW/ Skoda, but apart from that, a lot of other issues are also bothering. Also, coupled with reliability issues, what is bothering the customers is the attitude of Skoda and the exorbitantly high repair bills.

And you are right when you say that the chances for failure of a Skoda is higher than a VW because of the ratio of number of cars on the road. But compare that to a Maruti. I think the ratio will be a few thousands of Maruti to one Skoda, but still the Skoda will be the loser on this ground. Like someone on the other thread said may be '9 out of 10 Skoda owners may be happy, but the one left out is in a terrible state. 9 out of 10 is just not good enough. 99999 out of a 100000 should be more like it.'

And at last, if my words have offended a Skoda owner including you, be assured, it would have been the last thing I would ever do. It was just my personal opinion.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 18:13   #2507
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

I am also a happy Skoda owner. My Yeti makes me happy everytime I drive it. If some members think I own what is only a 'cheap European' brand so be it. The thing is, I buy cars to please myself and I really couldn't care less what the world thinks about my choice. The moment one tries to seek approbation from the world around for any of one's decisions, one is bound to come up against contrarian opinions. That is the way of the world.

I do certainly empathise and sympathise with those who have faced issues with their cars, irrespective of the brand(s) they own. I have also attempted to help a few of those afflicted parties, by leveraging certain relationships that I am privileged to have, at the dealership(s) and elsewhere - I do not need to mention the names of these afflicted parties here - they will know who they are and if I have been able to make a positive difference, I am happy for it. I have done this earlier too, for various people, with the Mahindra dealer(s) and HQ too, when I owned a Mahindra myself.

Saying all of this, I do not think it likely that all those cars which are giving trouble, belong to any one particular brand/ marque alone - it is just that some members of this forum have chosen for some reason, to get onto a bit of a brand-bashing, trumpeting bandwagon. I do not wish to join this throng, preferring to remain detached.

Bottomline - my Yeti serves me well. Long may this positive state of affairs continue.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 18:15   #2508
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,257 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quick Catch-Up...

I think that, of the VAG Group, only Skoda, VW and Audi have a presence in India. However, there are more companies in the group, and Skoda is not the cheapest VAG-group member.

Whilst it is said that if you can't afford an Audi you buy a VW, and if you can't afford a VW you buy a Skoda, it is still not exactly cheap.

I am out of touch, by several years, with Europe, but last time I looked, VW were worried because Skoda was overtaking in them in value for money and customer satisfaction.

Yes, pre-VAG, Skoda was nothing but an Eastern-European joke, with a reputation as bad as, eg Lada. But it is also worth remembering that it is one of the oldest European car makers.

For all that, no, here in India, at least, personally I would not buy one. I'm hoping that it wasn't a bad mistake to have bought VW! But let us not misunderstand Skoda's European position.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 18:22   #2509
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

A brand that does not care about the people who place trust in them and put in their hard earned money deserve a bashing. Be it a Skoda or a Maruti.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 18:59   #2510
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 208
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
+1. Skoda is the cheapest brand abroad and acts premium-like in India. And we, in India feel pride in owning a Skoda. Skoda was among the most unreliable cars until VW acquired the brand under itself. However, things changed lately, but still a lot is desired.
It will be a very blunt question, but do Indians, in a zest to own a European car buy a Skoda; just for the sake of it? A lot lesser number of horror stories about VW we hear...isn't it?
Mate, I've been following this thread with interest and can understand people taking impassioned stands on the issue. However, with the statements above you just tarred a whole bunch of folks who made an informed choice for a car as lemmings who did so just because they have a colonial hangover. I'm cognizant of all the folks who have had issues with the car and am fully supportive of their efforts to get redressal. But your statements stuck too jingoistic a tone.

I'm a Skoda DSG owner and I've never had any major issues with the car. I recognized the roll of the dice when I bought it. I was happy to own the car (I won't say have pride, since that would be a silly feeling to associate with a car that one drives) and my faith in the car was justified. We had a brutal crash a couple of weeks back and while the car is wrecked, my wife and I were lucky to be able to walk out with nary a scratch. I consider that to be the highest levels of reliability.

My next car will very likely be a Skoda or a VW and I'm walking into that decision with my eyes open. Please be considerate when you start hypothesizing about people's rationales.
BackInTheFold is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 19:34   #2511
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

I have been following this and the other Skoda threads and have participated in them (including one started by a member called Reflux - which now seems to have disappeared). I've been thinking about these threads/issues and would like to put forth a suggestion that henceforth all threads/rants started against car companies should put up copies of the bills/letters/disputes to prove bona fides. Else they would be deleted. That way Team-Bhp cannot be accused of bashing X or Y company needlessly.
IMHO this will discourage frivolous posts. Just my two bit.

Last edited by wilful : 11th January 2014 at 19:36.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 19:51   #2512
BHPian
 
joethomasv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KL-44 , KA-12
Posts: 329
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I have been following this and the other Skoda threads and have participated in them (including one started by a member called Reflux - which now seems to have disappeared).
That thread didn't disappear. It is right here
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 19:58   #2513
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
That thread didn't disappear. It is right here
Thanks very much! I tried locating it in The Indian Car Scene.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 20:11   #2514
BHPian
 
mints21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: India
Posts: 735
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

I am glad that today we are seeing a company responding against allegations levelled against them on this forum. The case of reflux is an example. I am still waiting the outcome of the meeting between the trio ( dealer, company & reflux). This also highlights the fact that posts and threads on this forum are taken seriously by the car manufacturers.

However, I still do not feel the need for proofs to be submitted or posted online as an evidence to support a claim or allegation against a company.

We all know that team-bhp is quite strict with policies and they do a complete due diligence in selecting and approving a member. Those of us, who have qualified to be part of this elite forum must ensure among ourselves that we are duty bound to report only relevant and true facts to maintain the quality of this initiative which has given us a platform to share our thoughts and views.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 20:17   #2515
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Mate, I've been following this We had a brutal crash a couple of weeks back and while the car is wrecked, my wife and I were lucky to be able to walk out with nary a scratch. I consider that to be the highest levels of reliability. My next car will very likely be a Skoda or a VW and I'm walking into that decision with my eyes open. Please be considerate when you start hypothesizing about people's rationales.

I'm glad old boy, that you are safe. And that fact has clearly prompted you to write this post.
Yes, these cars are rather tank-like in build and I greatly appreciate their safety features.
And, I like your wonderfully fluent style of writing as well.
God bless!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 21:04   #2516
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

+1. Skoda is the cheapest brand abroad and acts premium-like in India. And we, in India feel pride in owning a Skoda. Skoda was among the most unreliable cars until VW acquired the brand under itself. However, things changed lately, but still a lot is desired.
It will be a very blunt question, but do Indians, in a zest to own a European car buy a Skoda; just for the sake of it? A lot lesser number of horror stories about VW we hear...isn't it?
I own skoda yeti, and made a very informed decision and Happy with it.
If it's the cheapest elsewhere, so be it.. Atleast the cheapest elsewhere, has solid safety features which is more important.
I bought skoda not because it's European, but for the robust build quality and fine engineering, which is hard to match at a given price point.
I feel proud of owning a good quality car, but I won't take pride. The term 'proud' and 'pride' has different meaning altogether.
I have experienced Maruti, hyundai, Tata and Honda service, before getting to Skoda. The experience with all of them has been good. Maybe, it also depends on how we (as customers) treat them. If we are always in 'demanding' or 'authoritative' mode, slapping them with rule books, a similar gesture from other side is expected. I've always treated them like friends, and empathize their constraints (if any) & this helps in building a good relationship which will be of use at some point.
Please don't label all skoda owners owning cheap cars. It's not true.
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 23:02   #2517
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,306
Thanked: 2,573 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
If it's the cheapest elsewhere, so be it.. Atleast the cheapest elsewhere, has solid safety features which is more important.
I bought skoda not because it's European, but for the robust build quality and fine engineering, which is hard to match at a given price point.
I feel proud of owning a good quality car, but I won't take pride. The term 'proud' and 'pride' has different meaning altogether.
I have experienced Maruti, hyundai, Tata and Honda service, before getting to Skoda. The experience with all of them has been good. Maybe, it also depends on how we (as customers) treat them. If we are always in 'demanding' or 'authoritative' mode, slapping them with rule books, a similar gesture from other side is expected. I've always treated them like friends, and empathize their constraints (if any) & this helps in building a good relationship which will be of use at some point.
Please don't label all skoda owners owning cheap cars. It's not true.
+1 to that. My intention to own a Skoda Octavia (I have booked one) was not for the "pride" factor, but for the features it brings for the price. As I can have only one car (due to parking limitations), I needed a car which is an enthusiast car for my driving pleasure, has all safety features for my family and also has ample space and comfort for those long holidays.

For example, Honda City had lots of space and comfort, a good engine, but lost in the safety factor as it comes with skinny tyres, not so great brakes and only 2 airbags. Fiat Linea with its turbo petrol engine was fun to drive, but completely lacked in the rear legroom. Similarly, every car in the market scored on some points but failed on others.

Take the Octavia. With the 1.8TSI engine and the 7 speed DSG with tiptronic, it is the best enthusiast car I could find (please correct me if I am wrong). It has best in class space and comfort, and with wide tires, 4 disc brakes, 6 airbags and bixenons with AFS scored high on the safety too. But all this comes at a great price, reliability. Had I had a an alternative Japanese or Korean car which satisfied all my requirements, I would have definitely chosen that car over Octavia. Why would I be taking all these risks with the A.S.S?
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 00:18   #2518
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 387
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

^^totally agreed.
I liked the rapid so much and my heart was kind of set on rapid. I just loved the driving characteristics of that car. I would say its the best in the segment.
But then my brain did not even consider it. The horror stories are way too much to ignore.
So had to settle for next good car Dzire.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 09:21   #2519
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,521
Thanked: 2,253 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

There might be happy customers out there. Good for them.

All I know is this is a company, which resorted to muscle power to take a customer's thread off the forum (Harish's) and threatened the entire community of legal action instead of trying to sort it out with the disgruntled customer! Got example of any other manufacturer having the audacity to do that?

I can never trust this company with my money. Ever.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 13:21   #2520
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,257 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Suppression of online criticism seems to be fashionable business practice in USA these days*. Tell the truth about a company or service; they sue. Many don't have the courage, tenacity, energy, money or whatever, to stick to their guns.

Yep, this behaviour is disgusting. I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more of it.



*Disclaimer: Impression gained from internet!

~
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 i10 Asta A/T - its Korean, its new, its fast, its red, and its coming. nirupesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 1 8th January 2011 10:45
My experience with Truth- Its a 1943 Willys PAVAN KADAM 4x4 Vehicles 75 5th April 2010 12:55
What does these names stands for toyota Shifting gears 37 5th April 2009 04:38
The new BHP-ian stands up! eflanker Introduce yourself 5 30th July 2007 11:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:07.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks